Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Under 21

OK let's do the opposite! Who was at their peak while 21 or under? Once again I'll say Kate Bush. Also the Arctic Monkeys, Ride and Fiona Apple.

Re: Under 21

I disagree about Kate Bush.

However, one obvious answer here is Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera. He was 19 when he released "High Land Hard Rain", and he has never ever come close to the quality of that album later.

Charlotte Church
Michael Jackson
Gomez? (not sure how old they where with their first album?)

Ash
Bright Eyes
The Left Banke
Sondre Lerche
The Shangri-las
Supergrass

Arlo Guthrie was 19 when he wrote Alice's Restaurant. That song's really got depth.

Not sure about Supergrass, they have a few good albums, In It For the Money and their latest one are probably their best. Also in 1994 the singer was 18 but the drummer was 20 and bassist was 24. Not sure about the guitarist.

I like "Life on Other Planets." That was an underrated masterpiece.

Up until "Life On Other Planet", I thought they improved with every album. Their most recent one isn't their best, but it is another great album nevertheless. Never I was never Caught By The Fuzz (sic) regarding their first album.

Current artist that would fall into this category would be Dizzee Rascal and Nellie McKay, but they both have plenty of time to top themselves in the future.

I Like This Idea...

it shows that there indeed are acts when, very young, do put out great works. I laugh when people say, for example, about Britney Spears: "Oh, but she's only..." Please- like age has anything to do with putting out great, memorable albums (which she hasn't done- just a couple standout singles). Sure, life experience can make the music process more profound and enriching, but it's not a requirement.

Stevie Wonder's creative peak came after he was 21, I think, but he put out some great material from his teens, early 20s, etc.

Most acts who have put out great material before the age of 17-18 have had outside songwriters writing their material at that early stage, and haven't started writing their own material until later. This was the case with Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson among others.

Michael Jackson was not yet 21 when he wrote the songs for "Off The Wall" though, by many considered his first masterpiece.

Songwriting...

then we rreally should not hold out hope that Briytney Spears will ever have a *great* album, especially if she ever does most of the writing herself. Her couple of co-writing endeavors to date have been

I'd have to look back and see when Stevie first started writing on his albums (unless you know off-hand). Either way, he had strong albums when he wasn't writing, and then got even better when he did.

Stevie Wonder may have been co-writing several songs before he turned 21. I don't think he co-wrote the "Little Stevie" material, but he sure did a lot of co-writing when in his late teens.

the X Ray Spex were pretty awesome!!!!!!