Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Terrible Year

Is it just me or did this year really stink when it came to music. Welcome back Kate Bush! Her, Sigur Ros and Sleater Kinney are as terrific as ever but everything else was just slighly amusing and even some good stuff that came out this year in the US had been out a year ago in Europe. Other than that it was all rehashed tiresome garage or synth. I didn't think Gang of Four was that great so all these imitators were mildly average at best. Britian can do better. Especailly when comparing what they have now to what they had 10 years ago. I'm very disappointed with this year. Male singer songwriters are entirely overrated and this year proved that (except Ed Hartcourt).

Re: Terrible Year

No, sorry whilst there is no clear consensus on a top five album of a year (Sufjan aside) i'm sure the top twenty after being tallied on here will be more consistent then 2003 and 2004.

There's been no great albums at all imo. It has been a poor year, a distinct lack of originality. Look at the NME list it's awful.

The NME list is no representation of anything. There have been plenty of solid excellent records this year. I Am A Bird Now, Illnoise, Coles Corner, Demon Days, Black Mountain, Cripple Crow, Takk, Arular, Z, Open Season, Leaders Of The Free World, Some Cities, Amusement Parks On Fire and Love Kraft would grace my best of the decade list no problem.

I agree with Tim and Tungsten. "Takk..." is the only record I might call great, and only on a good day. But it's not just this year, I'm not very satisifed with the current decade in general. There was a handful of exceptional records, but overall it's the worst five year period since 1981-1985.

I'm guessing you people are just too old.

I disagree completely. 2005, for me, was an excellent music year.

Most of my favourite albums of the year (http://rateyourmusic.com/list/GeirH/my_top_40_albums_of_2005__so_far) were by long since established acts, but those acts did their best in years, which is sufficient for me.

The Supergrass one is good, but it's been overlooked by most critics.

I was surprised people liked the Gorillaz album so much, imo it's not as good as their first.

Maybe we are expection to much of every album that we think is gonna be more than great, i have listen to the Sufjan Stevens album two times and im still dont get it but i dont have any rush (maybe because i live in the caribean) but im sure that this year do not stink Demon days, Takk, Apologies to the Queen Mary, I Am a Bird Now, You Could Have It So Much Better there are a few of this years greatest

I agree completely, 2005 was a bad year for music. There are only two great albums for me : My Morning Jacket with "Z" and Hal. I maybe can add to this 5 ou 6 decent albums, no more. It's difficult for me to make a top 10 list of 2005 good albums, I think I'm gonna bring back two or three 2004 albums re-released in 2005 for my list, some Go! Team or Rufus Wainwright stuff for example. 2005 is definitely the worst music year for me since my interest for indie music has started (near 1993). 2005 is a year where I've been disappointed by some of my by-far favourite artists releases (White Stripes, Doves, Super Furry Animals, Beck, The Coral, The Warlocks, BRMC, New Order, Nada Surf, Bright Eyes and many others...). I hope 2006 will be better. My hopes are for Flaming Lips, Scissor Sisters and Belle and Sebastian.

a modest year for longplayers, but a great year for singles... never loved my ipod that much before...

I've found a lot of albums I like from 2005. I'm sorry many of you haven't. Jacek, you know I have to disagree with that 81-85 assessment.

I'd put 1979-1983 as the best 5-year period of music for me.

Last year was a year of over looked classics by the likes of the Go! Team, Camera Obscura and the Delays. This year even the singles were so/so as opposed to 04 which had some awesome singles. I like Stars, the Magic Numbers, Bloc Party and Wolf Parade but they're no classics. I'm 23 but I feel old especially since I don't get Emo whatsoever. I like the bird far more than the genre. I hate the new Franz Ferdinand single "Do You Want Do?" and was just thought bands were confused this year. We're over the garage and 80s revival trend so bands don't want to sound dated so I think that's why this year was so boring. Most bands didn't seem as into their music as they once were.