Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Acclaimed Music Forum Top 100(+) Songs

Eh, I just took a little nap and you're already at number 21. I think the last batch was the most interesting so far. It's great to see Spiritualized this high, but all the songs are great. The ones that I know anyway, there are still some I haven't heard like the La's for instance.

Cool indeed! Of those I only voted Nowhere Man (but also a different track from the same Love album). Great fun, this :-)

I voted for 4 of this last group “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”, “The Killing Moon”, “Losing My Religion” and my #1 “Song 2”, I was expecting all this songs but I also think it was unpredictable, all the others songs was a sorprise for me even “Nowhere Man” (“Anarchy in the U.K.” was the only exception)

Yes, "Nowhere Man" surprised me, too -- if I'd had to guess beforehand what song from Rubber Soul would make it, I would have surely thought "In My Life".

20-16(!!!)

Getting closer to the top, now!

020. Pink Floyd / “Echoes”
019. Sam Cooke / “A Change Is Gonna Come”
018. The Rolling Stones / “Gimme Shelter”
017. David Bowie / “Life on Mars?”
016. The Beatles / “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

Some really fantastic stuff in here ... I was especially surprised (and pleased!) to see "Echoes" so high. Also, Sam Cooke in the Top 20 is a wonderful thing.

"Life on Mars" and "Echoes" this high is a complete surprise for me. But the only song I really like is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

I used the word shocking for "I Feel Love", but I have to take that back. I didn't know what would come...

"Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" ending up this high is definitely the biggest surprise to me. I don't think I have ever seen the song in a critics list! I suppose "Ladies..." was never released as a single and it is very exciting that it's possible for a lot of album tracks to end up this high.

...it is very exciting that it's possible for a lot of album tracks to end up this high.

That's exactly what I love about removing restrictions on lists like this. You have an idea of what you might get, but are never really sure.

Echoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, I give up. No more superlatives from me...

These are 5 amazing songs. I can't tell you how happy I am to see "A Change Is Gonna Come" here.

I never thought of including "Echoes" on my list. But it is sooooo good. Thank you for reminding me!

Did "Meddle" end up among the top 100 albums?

Sorry to correct you, Henrik. Rockdelux put "Ladies..." as the #58 song in "The best songs of the 90s" published in RDL 165.

Did "Meddle" end up among the top 100 albums?

Doesn't look like it -- though it is my fave Floyd album. Even the silly stuff on there works for some reason; it's refreshing to hear them when they didn't take themselves so seriously all the time.

Ha! I knew someone would come back to me about this. But I thought it would take a little longer..!

15-11

It seems like there are some people around reading and commenting, so I'm gonna carry on!

015. The Kinks / “Waterloo Sunset”
014. Radiohead / “Paranoid Android”
013. Television / “Marquee Moon”
012. Bob Dylan / “Tangled Up in Blue”
011. Joy Division / “Love Will Tear Us Apart”

Now THERE'S 5 great songs. No big surprises here, but considering the quality, I'm certainly not one to complain.

Waterloo Sunset forever!

Snusmumrik

My choice from the 60s actually made it to number 76.

It looks like of my personal top 10, only 2 will be chosen. Not overly surprising, although I expected to see my number 2 choice make the cut.

Exactly Honorio, Waterloo Sunset Forever!!!

It's soooooooooo good to see Marquee Moon up there. On the other hand I never understood what's so special about Tangled Up in Blue. Idiot Wind, which I'm sure will make the list as well, is exactly 7,13 times better.

I assume its slightly embarrasing to admit it, but I'll have to go out and get me a Sam Cooke disk tomorrow :-)

Oh, Moonbeam, so perhaps the Doors song in your top 200 was poll # 354?

Bother, I have to go home now, it's close to 7 p.m. this side of the globe. I'll check later, though!

Snusmumrik

Perhaps....

did anyone else have any depeche mode tracks in their polls? I don't see them amognst this poll

I had 2 DM tracks.

On the other hand I never understood what's so special about Tangled Up in Blue. Idiot Wind, which I'm sure will make the list as well, is exactly 7,13 times better.

Hmmm -- I guess I much prefer the lovely, perfectly wrought storytelling of "Tangled..." to the unfettered bile of "Idiot Wind", but obviously they're both masterworks.

Top 10 soon -- I'm gonna count it down one by one. Stay tuned!

9 different Depeche Mode songs got votes, but only 1 ("Enjoy the Silence") got multiple votes, and it's point total didn't crack 200.

Number 10

Here it is -- 7 votes for 1,086 points:

010. The Ronettes / “Be My Baby”

I have to say I was MIGHTY pleased by the showing this got. Some things are just timelessly good.

This is going very well. My no. 7!

I'm just wondering who else voted for the KLF's what time is love? It was No.50 in my top 50 songs. And I'm really chuffed that it made it into the top 200.

I'm supporting you again, Dexternico! What Time Is Love was my no. 24.

Number 9

...Number 9, number 9...

With 8 votes for 1,106 points:

009. Pixies / “Debaser”

Jacek, hopefully you're pleased!

Numbers 9 and 10 are simply perfect

"What Time Is Love?" is one of those tracks that gets me thrilled of pleasure every time I see it in a critics list. Unfortunately though, it doesn't happen too often.

It's just great to see they're still remembered for some of the most catchiest dance tunes ever. Not just for their wacky stunts (which are great though).

Yeah for Debaser!!! I haven't heard that Ronettes song, but early sixties really isn't my cup of tea.

Number 8

Continuing in the vein of '80s indie rock, with 9 votes totalling 1,198.5 points:

008. The Smiths / “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”

Yet another fantastic song...

Sonofsamiam, do you allow us to try to guess, for example, numbers 1 to 5?

I didn't vote for any Smiths tracks in my top 50 even though I'm a fan. I'm surprised There is a light... is that high, Whereas This charming man is quite low in the poll than expected.

Sonofsamiam, do you allow us to try to guess, for example, numbers 1 to 5?

Feel free to guess any of the remaining songs! I'm not going to give anything away until I add them, of course, but it would be fun to see how close some of you come to predicting it!

So here I go:

#1 The Beatles - A day in the life
#2 Bob Dylan - Like a rolling stone
#3 The Beach Boys - Good vibrations
#4 Aretha Franklin - Respect
#5 The Beatles - Strawberry fields forever

Numero 7

I wholeheartedly endorse this one -- with 8 votes and 1,239 points:

007. Marvin Gaye / “What's Going On”

Number 6

7 votes, for 1,266 points:

006. The Beatles / “Strawberry Fields Forever”

Just missed the Top 5, Putxe!

Ugh, "Strawberry Fields Forever" is very unremarkable if you ask me. I don't know why people love it so much.

Ugh, "Strawberry Fields Forever" is very unremarkable if you ask me. I don't know why people love it so much.

I don't find it "unremarkable" per se -- it's a pretty and very inventive song, esp. re production and that oddly funky outro -- but I do agree with you to the extent that I think it's somewhat overrated.

But The Beatles have been utterly dominant thus far in the poll, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise!

Guessing

I may be completely out to lunch, but considering what topped the albums poll, I thought perhaps one more Radiohead song might be hiding up there in the top 5?

I really love Strawberry fields forever. It was MY personal #5. If you listen to the acosutic version on Beatles anthology 2 you'll find a wonderful little song. And then, those arrengements and production made it grow up, up...

(Was that "numero 7" instead of "number 7" related with myself being a Spaniard... in the works?)

In my opinion, "Strawberry ..." deserves all the acclaim and more

(Was that "numero 7" instead of "number 7" related with myself being a Spaniard... in the works?)

No no, it was purely a result of my boredom with the headings! Just spicing things up a bit...

I have to go. I'll check the Top 5 tomorrow... Can't wait...

I think Putxe's top 3 is exactly right, but I'm not sure "Respect" will be in this list. I've got better guesses for #4 and #5!

I've got better guesses for #4 and #5!

Let's hear 'em, Henrik, before I unveil No. 5!

Let's hear 'em, Henrik, before I unveil No. 5!

Really? I don't want to spoil the surprise for others...

Really? I don't want to spoil the surprise for others...

OK then, Top 5 comin' right up...

Number 5

We're truly getting into the area of strong consensus at this point.

With 9 votes and 1,389 points:

005. The Beach Boys / “God Only Knows”

Finally, one of my own Top 10! One of the most sublime and perfectly realized songs I've ever heard.

Where did everyone go?

"God Only Knows" was not on my list but is, of course, brilliant.

Jacek, you must have heard "There She Goes". With my first aware hearing of the song I thought I knew it, like, forever.

Where did everyone go?

I dunno -- am I going too fast or too slowly? It's hard for me to judge -- do you have a way to see who's in the forum as webmaster?

do you have a way to see who's in the forum as webmaster?

I'm afraid not.

I forgot but I think I already don't need to say the list is just brilliant, most of the songs were in my Top 200 or very close.

Maybe I'll just keep plugging away -- it would be nice to wrap up the countdown today, and then post individual lists, plus other goodies, on later days.

I'll go more quickly between posts so it doesn't get too tedious though!

Number 4

With 9 votes / 1,426 points:

004. The Beach Boys / “Good Vibrations”

Interestingly, "God Only Knows" held a pretty strong lead on "Good Vibrations" until the final day, on which Good Vibes made a strong run and overtook the Pet Sounds classic. I guess we can all agree that Brian Wilson had a pretty good year in 1966....

"God Only Knows" is in my #4. So... we have two songs by The Beach Boys in the Top 5 for sure.

"God Only Knows" is in my #4. So... we have two songs by The Beach Boys in the Top 5 for sure.

Our simultaneous posts proved this true, Honorio!

Oops, I made my reply a little too late...

Well, it's possible I've heard it somewhere but I didn't know it was by the La's. It happens all the time - I buy an album by a new group, start listening to it and suddenly realize I know some of the songs. Is "Here She Comes" played on the radio?

Jacek, you might know "There She Goes" by the Sixpence None the Richer cover (which was a mild hit here in the U.S. at least, but which isn't a patch on the original).

"There She Goes", and The La's in general, certainly helped set the table for the Britpop explosion, along with the Stone Roses and a few other groups.

Number 3 (The Anticipation of It All!)

This got a whopping 12 votes (quite a percentage considering 20 voters) for 1,620.5 points:

003. David Bowie / “ ‘Heroes’ ”

Again, I'm quite pleased with this placement. It's absolutely essential, and in my Top 20. It's one of those great songs that appears to be long on the tracklisting, but is so stirring it whizzes by as if time just stood still for it.

And Bowie's vocal is amazing.

Well, I've got nothing to prove it, but I was thinking about "Heroes" and "God Only Knows". However, I also considered other alternatives, I am quite surprised that there is no "Respect", "You Really Got Me" or "Fake Plastic Trees" in the top 418.

"There She Goes" is a song that appeared in some movies or maybe even commercials, it is still being played by even some Polish radio stations and strange institutions like MTV Classic. The La's made only one record but it is very important for britpop groups of the 90's and many new bands like The Coral too.

Great song. And great artist, with 5 songs in our Top 100 and 11 songs in the whole list.
So... what song will be the Number One? "Like a Rolling Stone"? "A Day in the Life"? I love both but I prefer Dylan's masterpiece.

So who is number one? I would have guessed "Like a Rolling Stone" if I didn't know from other messages that many of us (including myself) have "A Day in the Life" near the top of our lists...

Sorry, had to log off a bit. Thought you'd be done by now. This is exciting :-)

Brian Wilson oughta see this. Did any of you catch his "Smile" show live this summer? His hard years were, ahh ... showing. But such compositions!

"Heroes" at number 3 is a very nice surprise. Breaks the 60's monopoly in the top 5, cause I'm sure the two songs left will be "A Day in the Life" and "Like a Rolling Stone".

However, I also considered other alternatives, I am quite surprised that there is no "Respect", "You Really Got Me" or "Fake Plastic Trees" in the top 418.

Yes, that's definitely surprising to me, too.

For the record, each song only got 1 vote:

"You Really Got Me" at No. 89
"Fake Plastic Trees" at No. 153
"Respect" at No. 36

Shocking, but true....

Number 2

May as well end the suspense...

With 10 votes and a whopping 1,639.5 points:

002. Bob Dylan / “Like a Rolling Stone”

There's really not a whole lot more that can be said about this song, is there?

I guess Jacek's guesses are highly qualified. I didn't vote for Like a Rolling Stone at all, but there are enough other Dylan appreciaters to make the guess come true. I have to run again, see you in the morning if not before.

So I'm the only person who voted for "Fake Plastic Trees" then. Shocking indeed.

I wish LARS was #1! Still, an excellent list.

The Forum's Top Dog: #1!

As if there's any reason to wait to post this, as everyone knows what it is (NKOTB's "Hangin' Tough", right? er, right???):

With 12 votes and a resounding 1,998.5 points:

001. The Beatles / “A Day in the Life”

...Which is pretty apt, considering The Beatles got 33 songs in the Top 418.

It's hard for me to argue with this placement, though. Every time I think I'm sick of it, I hear it and am again amazed. And it's got the best recording of air conditioning of all-time, to boot!

Anyway, thanks to all for indulging me. Your lists were all great, and the results were just bulging with great songs. I'll be posting the individual lists tomorrow, so be sure to check back.

And for now, debate, comment, criticize, extol, etc. the list all you want. Just remember, don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I mean, er, messenger.

So I'm the only person who voted for "Fake Plastic Trees" then. Shocking indeed.

"Street Spirit" and the title track both did better from The Bends. I agree with the former, though not with the latter.

I absolutely ADORED "Fake Plastic Trees" back in '95-'96, but have tired of it. This may in part be due to the fact that Radiohead of sort of used the same build-up formula in subsequent songs.

Sonofsamiam, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

This was great fun the whole way through. This is definitely one of the best lists I've ever seen. Too bad we aren't critics, then I could've included the list in AM...

I agree with that. This is one of the best lists ever.

Sonofsamiam, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Henrik, the pleasure was all mine.

This was great fun the whole way through. This is definitely one of the best lists I've ever seen.

I really was amazed at the consistent quality throughout, especially given a relatively small sample size. The quality of the list could only be as good as the quality of the contributors, and the lists that came in were very pleasing, indeed.

Thank you so much for running this!

I must say that I can't stand the Beatles so I'm a little disappointed with their predictable dominance, but I was thrilled by high inclusions for Prince, Bowie and The Cure.

What I found interesting is that most of the Prince songs were NOT among my top 200, and I had 59 of them!

Of my top 10, only 2 made the top 418. I'm guessing my list was probably the least like the others, but that's fine.

I agree. Great list and many thanks to sonofsamiam for all the effort.

I love The Beatles, as they were the first "serious" rock act I truly pursued and learned about, but their dominance was probably the one thing that bugged me a bit about the list. 33 songs is just too lopsided, IMO, even if it is The Beatles.

As always, though, the real interesting stuff is scattered throughout. Gotta love The Only Ones making the Top 100, for instance, or "Mannequin"'s high placement.

Good work Sonofsamiam ! I'm very glad for the 2 Beach Boys songs in the top 5 (it's the greatest band ever !), the Ronettes at #10 and the wonderful song of Spiritualized "ladies and gentlemen..." at such a good rank ! The David Bowie song "heroes" is a real surprise for me, I didn't think it could hit such a score. My disappointment is that there's no Rufus Wainwright songs in the top 418, a shame.

Well, good night, boys. It’s been a really funny evening and I’ve enjoyed the countdown a lot. Now I’m gonna watch some TV before going to sleep. In a catalonian channel they emit the fabulous TV series “Classic Albums”. Last Thursday was “Nevermind” and the Thursday before was “Transformer”. Let’s see what we have for tonight.

Hey Honorio, maybe this TV series is worthy of inclusion in AM?

Interesting...

for the Madge mode, Ray of Light and Into the Groove appear (both great), but no Like a Prayer? Dangit, if only I had been able to come up with a list!

Mine would have had a number of Stevie Wonder on it, too, plus some other goodies. I didn't notice, but did Sir Duke make the cut? He has so many gems.

Since there are far less albums than songs out there, it's easier doing an albums list (though that's also a bit challenging).

Good work, sonofsamiam!

Hello

I just want to I've been addicted to your site for probably over a year now and as a music list fan who makes all sorts of formulas in my spare time (not a lot of that) to determine what classic albums I should buy.

I feel bad that I didn't contribute to both the AM forums top album and song lists, but do to computer and e-mail complications and time constraints I didn't get them to you. The difficulty in folding in my favorite radio songs and album songs into one list for this one gave me too much of a challenge. My list would be of a newbie to the forum anyways and maybe shouldn't have counted.

I hope to poke around and participate in the future discussion or forum lists. Keep up the good work. I hope this site or the list-compiling doesn't take up too much of your time!

and btw, only God Only Knows would have been in my top 10. In 1999, when I made a collection of cassettes of my top 150 songs (with recorded voices of me announcing the songs, a great memento) to take with me to college God Only Knows was #3 and it's probably still lingering around.

Thanks again!

I want to be a pest a little longer, hope you don't mind...

Did anyone vote any Frank Zappa songs in this list? Would my contribution of a handful FZ favorites pushed at least one of his tunes up to the final list? oh well.

Sorry, Jacek, I’ve not read your reply till the day after a day in the life…
Of course this TV series could be included. The problem is that I don’t know the complete list of albums. I’ve seen the chapters of “Songs in the Key of Life”, “Graceland”, “Nevermind”, “Transformer” and a fragment of “The Joshua Tree”. It’s not an Spanish documentary, maybe it’s American but I don’t know the channel that produced it originally. Maybe VH1?
Anyway it’s a greeeeat documentary. Just to see Butch Vig at the sound mixer showing us alone the cracked voice of Cobain, seeing Lou Reed leaving alone in the mix the Bowie choirs in “Satellite of Love” or Paul Simon showing the tricks on the bass line on “You Can Call Me Al” is like peeping behind the curtain, showing us the process of making our favorite songs.

Answering to Jonah, I voted for Zappa's “The Torture Never Stops”.

Moonbeam vs. the Beatles

How come you can’t stand the Beatles, Moonbeam? I’m not meaning to be controversial at all, just nosy: I find it intriguing what it is that makes us appreciate some artists and dislike others. I personally have a hard time putting up with Sting, although I guess he’a technically an excellent songwriter .. maybe something to do with the voice, but I can’t pin it down.

A younger member of the family once asked me to compile a list of the 10-15 albums I’d listened to the most (as opposed to ”best” albums or something like that). That was fairly easy to do, but obviously no recent albums had a chance of making their way past ”Blood on the Tracks” which I’ve probably played every week since I got it in the mid-80’es – and this says nothing about the quality of more recent music, it’s pure statistics.

I dunno if a similar perpetual overexposure to the Beatles makes some of us rate them rather too highly (and some react in the opposite way)? But I do think they wrote some bloody good songs :-)

Anyway, THANKS A MILLION, Sonofsamiam. It was such fun. It'll be thrilling to see the individual lists.

And then, Moonbeam, you can love The Beatles AND Prince, Bowie and The Cure, which is my case: my own list included many Beatles songs (30, maybe too much, and then also many Lennon tracks and even McCartney's...). But also 5 Bowie songs, 4 Prince songs and 4 Cure songs, including 'In between days', one of my all time favourites.

But then, of course, you can also not love The Beatles at all. It's just that I can't understand it...

Oh, those individual lists. When will they come out?

The Beatles

I understand and accept that The Beatles had an enormous impact on music, but I have disliked every one of the 50 or so songs I've heard. This is for a number of reasons that applies to more than just Beatles music (pre-70s music in general perhaps):

1. I don't like their vocals. I can't stand the sound of their voices or their harmonies- they are perhaps too twee or sing-along, which is probably precisely why they are revered.

2. The style/production. I don't like the "wall of sound" approach so much, or the "tinny" sounding production. If they beefed up the bass, I could perhaps appreciate it more.

3. The band members themselves. John and Paul in particular have personalities that irritate the heck out of me. It's hard to connect to the music of an artist who turns your stomach in interviews/etc.

4. Some genre restrictions? I remember hearing Strawberry Fields Forever in a computer lab a few years ago and I could hardly stomach it. This in no way means that the songs are bad- I just didn't like their brand of psychedelia.

5. Admittedly, the hype. Unfortunately, we live in a world where anything less than complete adulation of The Beatles is simply unacceptable. Most (not all) Beatles fans I have encountered completely balk when they hear I don't like them and act as if I don't have ears. They are quick to dismiss my opinion or my taste (which I have never claimed was "good" in the first place!) without even hearing my stance. This reaction has had a negative effect as well- not as a reflection of the songs themselves, but as a reflection of the Beatles community at large.

As I mentioned, a lot of my reasons could be extended to a number of acts from that era. The only pre-70s rock music that I have explored and liked consists of: The Velvet Underground, Nico, The Doors, The Stooges, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin. I suppose I can deal with James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone as well, but much beyond that and I can deal without it, although I understand its impact.

I don't want this to sound like an "I hate The Beatles and they are so completely overrated" rant. It would be simply ignorant to deny their impact. But I can't force myself to like what I hear and conform to some preconceived notion of acceptable taste standards.

JR

Madonna was well-represented on my list. You will see!

Beatles & Smiths

Well, Moonbeam, you certainly have well-thought-through reasons for your rejection of the boys. And especially the reaction from fans who will accept nothing but duplication of their own enthusiasm is of course unbearable.

About "tinny" production (if I understand the word correctly), am I the only one to have a similar problem with the Smiths? The songs are great, but the sound can be a bit like a huge fly buzzing around your head.

New songs I would put on my list if I made it today:

Big Black "The Model"
Broken Social Scene "Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix)"
Leonard Cohen "Take This Waltz"
The Flaming Lips "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell"
Mogwai "Mogwai Fear Satan"
Neutral Milk Hotel "Two-Headed Boy part 1"
Sigur Ros "Svo Hljott"

I have just noticed that, having chosen "A Day In The Life" as my obvious number one, the next five songs from my list had to pay the price landing outside the Top 418.

Can't wait to see what those five poor buggers were, Kuba :-)

I have just noticed that, having chosen "A Day In The Life" as my obvious number one, the next five songs from my list had to pay the price landing outside the Top 418.

I thought that only songs that got votes from more than one person (with a sum of more than 200 points) made the top 418 cut.

Hello again, all!

I'll be posting the individual lists in a little while; there's just some formatting that needs to be done to them, especially those that came through in Excel. (I don't plan on changing the way people chose to present the lists, though -- I think that should mainly be left intact.)

For now, I thought it would be nice to show the entire 200 in descending format, so no one has to pick through everything.

The Acclaimed Music Forum Top 200 Songs

001. The Beatles / “A Day in the Life”
002. Bob Dylan / “Like a Rolling Stone”
003. David Bowie / “ ‘Heroes’ ”
004. The Beach Boys / “Good Vibrations”
005. The Beach Boys / “God Only Knows”
006. The Beatles / “Strawberry Fields Forever”
007. Marvin Gaye / “What's Going On”
008. The Smiths / “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”
009. Pixies / “Debaser”
010. The Ronettes / “Be My Baby”
011. Joy Division / “Love Will Tear Us Apart”
012. Bob Dylan / “Tangled Up in Blue”
013. Television / “Marquee Moon”
014. Radiohead / “Paranoid Android”
015. The Kinks / “Waterloo Sunset”
016. The Beatles / “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
017. David Bowie / “Life on Mars?”
018. The Rolling Stones / “Gimme Shelter”
019. Sam Cooke / “A Change Is Gonna Come”
020. Pink Floyd / “Echoes”
021. R.E.M. / “Losing My Religion”
022. The Beatles / “Nowhere Man”
023. Kraftwerk / “The Model”
024. Echo and the Bunnymen / “The Killing Moon”
025. The Velvet Underground / “Sunday Morning”
026. Love / “Alone Again Or”
027. The Sex Pistols / “Anarchy in the U.K.”
028. Blur / “Song 2”
029. Spiritualized / “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”
030. The Specials / “Ghost Town”
031. The Rolling Stones / “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”
032. The Beatles / “Something”
033. The Doors / “Light My Fire”
034. Pixies / “Monkey Gone to Heaven”
035. Pink Floyd / “Wish You Were Here”
036. The Clash / “London Calling”
037. Stevie Wonder / “Superstition”
038. The Beatles / “Revolution”
039. The Beatles / “I Am the Walrus”
040. Oasis / “Wonderwall”
041. The Velvet Underground / “Waiting for the Man”
042. Nick Drake / “River Man”
043. Nirvana / “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
044. The La's / “There She Goes”
045. Donna Summer / “I Feel Love”
046. The Rolling Stones / “Sympathy for the Devil”
047. Jimi Hendrix / “All Along the Watchtower”
048. Bruce Springsteen / “Born To Run”
049. David Bowie / “Moonage Daydream”
050. David Bowie / “Five Years”
051. R.E.M. / “Radio Free Europe”
052. Prince / “When Doves Cry”
053. New Order / “Blue Monday”
054. Led Zeppelin / “Stairway to Heaven”
055. Leonard Cohen / “Suzanne”
056. Lou Reed / “Perfect Day”
057. Prince / “Sign 'o' the times”
058. Bruce Springsteen / “Thunder Road”
059. John Lennon / “Imagine”
060. The Modern Lovers / “Roadrunner”
061. The Stone Roses / “I Am the Resurrection”
062. The Cure / “A Forest”
063. OutKast / “Hey Ya!”
064. The Beach Boys / “Wouldn't It Be Nice”
065. Pink Floyd / “Time”
066. Bruce Springsteen / “The River”
067. The Stone Roses / “This Is the One”
068. Talking Heads / “Once in a Lifetime”
069. The Clash / “Spanish Bombs”
070. Eminem feat. Dido / “Stan”
071. Pulp / “This is Hardcore”
072. Radiohead / “Exit Music (for a Film)”
073. Simon and Garfunkel / “The Sounds of Silence”
074. The Velvet Underground / “Pale Blue Eyes”
075. Prince / “Kiss”
076. The Velvet Underground / “Heroin”
077. Lou Reed / “Walk on the Wild Side”
078. The Who / “I Can See for Miles”
079. Oasis / “Live Forever”
080. Patti Smith / “Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)”
081. Michael Jackson / “Billie Jean”
082. The Only Ones / “Another Girl, Another Planet”
083. The Velvet Underground / “Sister Ray”
084. U2 / “One”
085. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / “The Mercy Seat”
086. The Beatles / “Come Together”
087. The Rolling Stones / “Paint It, Black”
088. The Stone Roses / “Made of Stone”
089. The Beatles / “Rain”
090. John Lennon / “Working Class Hero”
091. The Jam / “Going Underground”
092. The Beatles / “Tomorrow Never Knows”
093. Chuck Berry / “Johnny B. Goode”
094. The Who / “My Generation”
095. David Bowie / “Space Oddity”
096. Kylie Minogue / “Can't Get You Out of My Head”
097. Pulp / “Common People”
098. Simon and Garfunkel / “Bridge over Troubled Water”
099. U2 / “With or Without You”
100. Queen / “Bohemian Rhapsody”
101. Derek and the Dominoes / “Layla”
102. The Beatles / “In My Life”
103. Genesis / “Supper's Ready”
104. The Beach Boys / “Surf's Up”
105. David Bowie / “Changes”
106. Marvin Gaye / “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”
107. Bob Dylan / “Subterranean Homesick Blues”
108. The Velvet Underground / “All Tomorrow's Parties”
109. The Cure / “Just Like Heaven”
110. Pink Floyd / “Shine on You Crazy Diamond”
111. Kate Bush / “Wuthering Heights”
112. The Temptations / “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
113. Stan Getz with Joao and Astrud Gilberto / “The Girl from Ipanema”
114. Björk / “Bachelorette”
115. Sonic Youth / “Teenage Riot”
116. OutKast / “Ms. Jackson”
117. Wire / “Mannequin”
118. Neil Young / “Like a Hurricane”
119. Sly and the Family Stone / “Family Affair”
120. David Bowie / “Ashes to Ashes”
121. The Beatles / “You Never Give Me Your Money”
122. The Rolling Stones / “Tumbling Dice”
123. Pink Floyd / “Us and Them”
124. The Stooges / “I Wanna Be Your Dog”
125. Big Star / “September Gurls”
126. Bob Marley and The Wailers / “Redemption Song”
127. The Beatles / “For No One”
128. Al Green / “Let's Stay Together”
129. Coldplay / “Yellow”
130. The Velvet Underground / “White Light/White Heat”
131. The Beach Boys / “Don't Worry Baby”
132. King Crimson / “Starless”
133. The Beatles / “She Loves You”
134. The Beatles / “Dear Prudence”
135. The Eagles / “Hotel California”
136. King Crimson / “Epitaph”
137. The Undertones / “Teenage Kicks”
138. Otis Redding / “(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay”
139. Pixies / “Gouge Away”
140. Radiohead / “Let Down”
141. Bob Dylan / “Idiot Wind”
142. The Beatles / “Here Comes The Sun”
143. Neil Young / “After The Gold Rush”
144. The Zombies / “Care of Cell 44”
145. The Rolling Stones / “Jumpin' Jack Flash”
146. The Beatles / “Back in the USSR”
147. The Beatles / “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
148. Neil Young / “Powderfinger”
149. The Clash / “Train In Vain”
150. Prince / “Little Red Corvette”
151. Prince / “Purple Rain”
152. Primal Scream / “Higher Than The Sun”
153. U2 / “I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For”
154. The Stone Roses / “Fools Gold”
155. R.E.M. / “It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)”
156. Bob Dylan / “Visions of Johanna”
157. The Beatles / “Happiness Is a Warm Gun”
158. The Rolling Stones / “Dead Flowers”
159. Genesis / “Dancing with the Moonlit Knight”
160. The Beatles / “Penny Lane”
161. Madonna / “Into The Groove”
162. The Ramones / “Blitzkrieg Bop”
163. Joy Division / “Atmosphere”
164. The Rolling Stones / “Wild Horses”
165. The Arcade Fire / “Rebellion (Lies)”
166. Massive Attack / “Unfinished Sympathy”
167. The Smiths / “Bigmouth Strikes Again”
168. The Beatles / “The Fool on the Hill”
169. Bob Dylan / “Desolation Row”
170. David Bowie / “Rock 'n' Roll Suicide”
171. Bob Dylan / “I Want You”
172. Bob Dylan / “Love Minus Zero/No Limit”
173. The Kinks / “Lola”
174. T. Rex / “Bang a Gong (Get It On)”
175. Thunderclap Newman / “Something In The Air”
176. The Pogues / “Fairytale of New York”
177. The Band / “Whispering Pines”
178. Joy Division / “Disorder”
179. The Beatles / “Hey Jude”
180. The Beach Boys / “’Til I Die”
181. Iggy Pop / “The Passenger”
182. The Fall / “Cruiser's Creek”
183. The Buzzcocks / “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn'tve?)”
184. The Who / “Won't Get Fooled Again”
185. Simon and Garfunkel / “America”
186. The KLF / “What Time Is Love?”
187. Radiohead / “The Bends”
188. U2 / “Pride (In the Name of Love)”
189. Portishead / “Roads”
190. Neil Young / “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)”
191. The Beatles / “We Can Work It Out”
192. The Verve / “Bitter Sweet Symphony”
193. The Glenn Miller Orchestra / “In The Mood”
194. Simon and Garfunkel / “Homeward Bound”
195. Nick Drake / “Things Behind the Sun”
196. The Beatles / “Across the Universe”
197. Aaliyah / “Try Again”
198. The Ronettes / “Walking In The Rain”
199. U2 / “New Year's Day”
200. Glen Campbell / “Wichita Lineman”

I thought that only songs that got votes from more than one person (with a sum of more than 200 points) made the top 418 cut.

Yes Henrik, I must have been the only person who voted for this unlucky five then.

1 2