Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Acclaimed Music Forum Top 100(+) Songs

Only a handful of these songs were on my list. I'm disappointed "Safe from Harm" didn't place higher, but I'm confident "Unfinished Sympathy" will make the top 100. Go Pixies and Talk Talk!!!

My number 1 song most likely will not be included.

29 songs of my list so far! Besides that, being a great Beatles fan it's quite funny to find some Beatles songs in the list that I didn't submit (and I did submit quite a few).

Can't wait to see more!

Wow! "City Sickness" is pretty high. Who voted for it?

Greeeeeeat list!

I voted for Erik Satie too.

Wow! "City Sickness" is pretty high. Who voted for it?

Besides you, Zlatan, Snusmumrik and Michel Floch voted for that. It's also my favorite Tindersticks song, though I didn't find room for it in my 200.

Here's some more to chew on:

200-151

200. Glen Campbell / “Wichita Lineman”
199. U2 / “New Year's Day”
198. The Ronettes / “Walking In The Rain”
197. Aaliyah / “Try Again”
196. The Beatles / “Across the Universe”
195. Nick Drake / “Things Behind the Sun”
194. Simon and Garfunkel / “Homeward Bound”
193. The Glenn Miller Orchestra / “In The Mood”
192. The Verve / “Bitter Sweet Symphony”
191. The Beatles / “We Can Work It Out”

190. Neil Young / “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)”
189. Portishead / “Roads”
188. U2 / “Pride (In the Name of Love)”
187. Radiohead / “The Bends”
186. The KLF / “What Time Is Love?”
185. Simon and Garfunkel / “America”
184. The Who / “Won't Get Fooled Again”
183. The Buzzcocks / “Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn'tve?)”
182. The Fall / “Cruiser's Creek”
181. Iggy Pop / “The Passenger”

180. The Beach Boys / “’Til I Die”
179. The Beatles / “Hey Jude”
178. Joy Division / “Disorder”
177. The Band / “Whispering Pines”
176. The Pogues / “Fairytale of New York”
175. Thunderclap Newman / “Something in the Air”
174. T. Rex / “Bang a Gong (Get It On)”
173. The Kinks / “Lola”
172. Bob Dylan / “Love Minus Zero/No Limit”
171. Bob Dylan / “I Want You”

170. David Bowie / “Rock 'n' Roll Suicide”
169. Bob Dylan / “Desolation Row”
168. The Beatles / “The Fool on the Hill”
167. The Smiths / “Bigmouth Strikes Again”
166. Massive Attack / “Unfinished Sympathy”
165. The Arcade Fire / “Rebellion (Lies)”
164. The Rolling Stones / “Wild Horses”
163. Joy Division / “Atmosphere”
162. The Ramones / “Blitzkrieg Bop”
161. Madonna / “Into The Groove”

160. The Beatles / “Penny Lane”
159. Genesis / “Dancing with the Moonlit Knight”
158. The Rolling Stones / “Dead Flowers”
157. The Beatles / “Happiness Is a Warm Gun”
156. Bob Dylan / “Visions of Johanna”
155. R.E.M. / “It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)”
154. The Stone Roses / “Fools Gold”
153. U2 / “I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For”
152. Primal Scream / “Higher Than The Sun”
151. Prince / “Purple Rain”

My No. 2 was No. 200. Which sort of makes me simultaneously happy and sad.

Next Stop: Top 100

Well, I'm wrapping things up for today. Here are Numbers 150-101.

Expect a much more gradual unveiling of the Top 100 tomorrow....

150. Prince / “Little Red Corvette”
149. The Clash / “Train In Vain (Stand by Me)”
148. Neil Young / “Powderfinger”
147. The Beatles / “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
146. The Beatles / “Back in the USSR”
145. The Rolling Stones / “Jumpin' Jack Flash”
144. The Zombies / “Care of Cell 44”
143. Neil Young / “After The Gold Rush”
142. The Beatles / “Here Comes The Sun”
141. Bob Dylan / “Idiot Wind”

140. Radiohead / “Let Down”
139. Pixies / “Gouge Away”
138. Otis Redding / “(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay”
137. The Undertones / “Teenage Kicks”
136. King Crimson / “Epitaph”
135. The Eagles / “Hotel California”
134. The Beatles / “Dear Prudence”
133. The Beatles / “She Loves You”
132. King Crimson / “Starless”
131. The Beach Boys / “Don't Worry Baby”

130. The Velvet Underground / “White Light/White Heat”
129. Coldplay / “Yellow”
128. Al Green / “Let's Stay Together”
127. The Beatles / “For No One”
126. Bob Marley and The Wailers / “Redemption Song”
125. Big Star / “September Gurls”
124. The Stooges / “I Wanna Be Your Dog”
123. Pink Floyd / “Us and Them”
122. The Rolling Stones / “Tumbling Dice”
121. The Beatles / “You Never Give Me Your Money”

120. David Bowie / “Ashes to Ashes”
119. Sly and the Family Stone / “Family Affair”
118. Neil Young / “Like a Hurricane”
117. Wire / “Mannequin”
116. OutKast / “Ms. Jackson”
115. Sonic Youth / “Teenage Riot”
114. Björk / “Bachelorette”
113. Stan Getz with João and Astrud Gilberto / “The Girl from Ipanema”
112. The Temptations / “Papa Was a Rolling Stone”
111. Kate Bush / “Wuthering Heights”

110. Pink Floyd / “Shine on You Crazy Diamond”
109. The Cure / “Just Like Heaven”
108. The Velvet Underground / “All Tomorrow's Parties”
107. Bob Dylan / “Subterranean Homesick Blues”
106. Marvin Gaye / “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”
105. David Bowie / “Changes”
104. The Beach Boys / “Surf's Up”
103. Genesis / “Supper's Ready”
102. The Beatles / “In My Life”
101. Derek and the Dominoes / “Layla”

I must say it's great to see the KLF as high as they are with What time is love?

Some of my favourites in the 101-150 range. I'm thrilled both Epitaph and Starless made it this high, I didn't think they would. Gouge Away and Teenage Riot are other favourites of mine, though I hoped they would make the top 100. Overall a very interesting list and I'm definitely looking forward to see what's coming next.

no big excitement to count the songs that made it from my own 200 - the bigger and better thrill instead stems from all these adorable tracks i love but didn't take that far - lovely elaboration, s.o.s., just go ahead

I'm surprised by the number of songs from my list that made the final list - I didn't expect it to be so high. It's great to see songs by The Go-Betweens and especially the tragically overlooked Triffids on here. And many, many other tunes I picked listed up there. And it really doesn't matter for me that they deserve a much higher ranking in my opinion. I hope to see some XTC in the Top 100 and I'm pretty sure my no 1 will end up as AMF no 1!

I didn't think my #1 (Epitaph) would enter top 200

I didn't think my #1 (Epitaph) would enter top 200

Ah yes, the power of 2 extremely high votes.

The thing about songs lists is the range of choices is so much more limitless than, say, an albums list, that just a few votes can really make a difference.

That said, I think it makes things more interesting; I find it fascinating that King Crimson had 2 songs so close to each other in the list.

Oh, btw, the Top 100 is right around the corner!

100-91

Here we go!

100. Queen / “Bohemian Rhapsody”
099. U2 / “With or Without You”
098. Simon and Garfunkel / “Bridge over Troubled Water”
097. Pulp / “Common People”
096. Kylie Minogue / “Can't Get You Out of My Head”
095. David Bowie / “Space Oddity”
094. The Who / “My Generation”
093. Chuck Berry / “Johnny B. Goode”
092. The Beatles / “Tomorrow Never Knows”
091. The Jam / “Going Underground”

Actually, I quite like that group. It's nice to see Kylie mixing it up with some of rock music's giants, and it's good to see Chuck Berry sneak in to represent '50s rock.

Also, even though I've tired of it, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a pretty great No. 100. It just seems right, for whatever reason.

Ha ha. As any "true" Queen fan will tell you the fact that Bohemian Rhapsody failed to make the top 5 immediatelly strips this list of any credibility. On the other hand it's good to see Kylie up here. I don't think it's her best song, but her presence sure adds to the variety of the list.

Guiseppe: for a long time Epitaph was my undisputed number 1 as well. It's not anymore, but it's still top 5. Wagner would kill for that orchestral fadeout.

Kuba: Is you favourite song "A Day in the Life"? Just a wild guess, but if you seem so confident it will be number 1 it must be a well known and universally loved song and I remember Sgt. Pepper's was very high on your albums list.

90-81

090. John Lennon / “Working Class Hero”
089. The Beatles / “Rain”
088. The Stone Roses / “Made of Stone”
087. The Rolling Stones / “Paint It, Black”
086. The Beatles / “Come Together”
085. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / “The Mercy Seat”
084. U2 / “One”
083. The Velvet Underground / “Sister Ray”
082. The Only Ones / “Another Girl, Another Planet”
081. Michael Jackson / “Billie Jean”

I like this chunk, too. One doesn't typically see "Working Class Hero" or "The Mercy Seat" in lists like these, and they're both phenomenal songs. Also, 83-81 is a very nice run.

And of course The Beatles continue their omnipresence. In this case, I love one of those songs, and hate the other.

I don't know if it's Kuba's #1, but it's mine... And I guess some people would never forgive it (check 'place your bets: A.M.'s greatest song ever' forum)

I don't know if it's Kuba's #1, but it's mine... And I guess some people would never forgive it (check 'place your bets: A.M.'s greatest song ever' forum)

Everyone always wants to knock the "Sacred Cows". Whatever comes in at No. 1, someone will criticize. It's human nature.

I wish I could view how many people were reading this forum/thread -- I'd hate to keep posting the list if there's no one around to see/comment on it....

I'm thrilled to see Kylie in the top 100! "Can't Get You Out of My Head" is one of the most perfect pop songs of all time. I hope Prince has a chance to crack the top 100. God knows he has many chances with my list.

80-71

080. Patti Smith / “Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)”
079. Oasis / “Live Forever”
078. The Who / “I Can See for Miles”
077. Lou Reed / “Walk on the Wild Side”
076. The Velvet Underground / “Heroin”
075. Prince / “Kiss”
074. The Velvet Underground / “Pale Blue Eyes”
073. Simon and Garfunkel / “The Sounds of Silence”
072. Radiohead / “Exit Music (for a Film)”
071. Pulp / “This is Hardcore”

Between Lou Reed-written songs and British bands of the '90s, there's not a whole lot of room for other stuff in this group. These songs are all resoundingly great, though, and I was happy to see that Who song in particular so high!

Oh, and there's some Prince for ya, Moonbeam!

Common People, Going Underground, Made Of Stone, Paint It Black and The Mercy Seat - on my list.

@ Jacek - was is really *that* easy? :)

Hooray for Prince and VU! Ironically, "Kiss" was not one of the 59 songs to make my top 200.

I thought it was interesting that, as far as Pulp songs, "This Is Hardcore" beat out "Common People". That's fairly atypical as far as conventional wisdom, even if I agree with it.

Though the best Pulp song is clearly "Sunrise".

Ironically, "Kiss" was not one of the 59 songs to make my top 200.

Yeah, I noticed that! Also, my highest-ranked Prince song (in my Top 50) wasn't in your Top 200, and it's from the same album as "Kiss"!

Any guesses?

70-61

Yes, I know I'm moving along much faster than Jacek did, but that's just my style. Plus, I won't be at a PC to post on either Saturday or Sunday, so I'd love to get everything wrapped up by then. Hopefully this is suspenseful enough as is!

Anyway...

070. Eminem feat. Dido / “Stan”
069. The Clash / “Spanish Bombs”
068. Talking Heads / “Once in a Lifetime”
067. The Stone Roses / “This Is the One”
066. Bruce Springsteen / “The River”
065. Pink Floyd / “Time”
064. The Beach Boys / “Wouldn't It Be Nice”
063. OutKast / “Hey Ya!”
062. The Cure / “A Forest”
061. The Stone Roses / “I Am the Resurrection”

There were some surprises in here for me. "Spanish Bombs" is great, but I rarely see it in lists. Some goes for "A Forest" and, to a lesser extent, "The River". Also, of those Stone Roses songs, "This is the One"'s high place was something of a shock. You all really love your Stone Roses!

Also, nice to see 2 of the most acclaimed hip-hop offerings of the 2000s appear. I think it's safe to say, even now, that both of those will stand the test of time.

"This Is The One" is fantastic and it deserves its top 100 spot. To me the real surprise is "Stan". It's a good song but I never would have thought it would end up this high.

"This Is The One" is fantastic and it deserves its top 100 spot. To me the real surprise is "Stan". It's a good song but I never would have thought it would end up this high.

I definitely didn't mean to imply that I didn't think "This Is the One" is good -- it just seems that many more songs from that album tend to get praised in other places. It's certainly dramatic, exciting stuff.

As far as "Stan", I'm not much of a fan of either Eminem or Dido, but that song is pretty much undeniable.

Also, along hip-hop lines:

I wanted to note my disappointment that "B.O.B." was so far behind both "Hey Ya" and "Ms. Jackson". All 3 are excellent, but "B.O.B.", to me, attains a whole other level entirely. It's pretty mind-blowing, and it makes me glad that something like this could still get on the radio, even in this era of airwave homogenization.

OK, rant over!

Wow!!! 3 Stone Roses songs in the top 100, is also nice to see 3 VU songs and Chuck Berry´s "Johnny B. Goode", "Stan" is good to but the best thing about this list is that my 2 favorite songs still dont come out

"This Is The One" was the highest Roses song on my list. Their first record is full of spectacular, glorious tunes, but this one is my favourite.

Good to see "The River" by The Boss too - the song that once encouraged me to listen to more of Springsteen's records.

I'm thrilled to see "A Forest" crack the top 100!

Let me guess- your other Parade[/i] track is "Sometimes It Snows in April". I adore that track as well- it's in my top 300.

Let me guess- your other Parade track is "Sometimes It Snows in April". I adore that track as well- it's in my top 300.

Bingo! I did notice that it made your 300. I love Prince when he gets ethereal like that, particularly in his mid-'80s phase. "Power Fantastic" is similarly great.

Darn smilies!

"Power Fantastic" is also in my top 300. Have you ever heard "Moonbeam Levels"?

Have you ever heard "Moonbeam Levels"?

No, though I saw you had it really high. I couldn't find it on Allmusic -- is it on one of his many bootlegs?

60-51

This one is especially for Moonbeam:

060. The Modern Lovers / “Roadrunner”
059. John Lennon / “Imagine”
058. Bruce Springsteen / “Thunder Road”
057. Prince / “Sign 'o' the Times”
056. Lou Reed / “Perfect Day”
055. Leonard Cohen / “Suzanne”
054. Led Zeppelin / “Stairway to Heaven”
053. New Order / “Blue Monday”
052. Prince / “When Doves Cry”
051. R.E.M. / “Radio Free Europe”

Lots of great songs in there, though I don't like "Imagine" too much (I'm more of a "Jealous Guy" fan).

I think it's interesting that the Prince songs in the Top 100 are all very spare in their production. Just an observation. (They're all obviously great songs, too.)

I've changed "Made of Stone" in the last moment for "This Is the One". It's a really great song.
I'm really happy for the high placement of "Going Underground" and "Spanish Bombs".

Wow- 4 of those songs were in my list!

"Sign o' the Times" and "When Doves Cry" are classics, as are "Perfect Day" and "Blue Monday"!

Wow! Halftime and I already have 7+4+6+2+5 = 24 songs in the top 100!

I wonder what this means. I'd like to think that I have a great impact on your musical taste but it is probably more likely that the critics behind the Acclaimed Music lists have had a great impact on us all. All for the better I hope!?

I'm enjoying this soooooooooooooooooo much. I like to see some of my personal favourites ranking high (meaning that some other people all over the world are listening and enjoying the same songs I like). I like to re-think everything finding out some great tunes I passed over. But the thing I'm really having fun with is discovering some songs that I had to left out of my list in the last minute -and therefore got no points from me- appearing here and there.

Jeez, S.o.S, a measly day-and-a-half away from the computer, and you're already at # 51. Great fun to read up on, though!

It didn't occur to me to actually vote for Erik Satie, but I do enjoy the record of his that I have.

Both of my two Prince songs were in this last 60-51 batch PLUS Thunder Road, Perfect Day, Suzanne, and Radio Free Europe (if I remember correctly), so I can't complain :-)

Great plesure to see all those tracks that I love, but didn't vote for, show up. I gotta run off and switch on the record player :-)

Glad everyone is enjoying so far!

Tomorrow, I'm gonna countdown 50-1 (with a very slow march from 20-1). So mark your calendars!

And Friday, I'll post all the individual lists. These are the best part, IMO, because so many undiscovered gems can be found in them.

Finally, on Monday, I plan to post some goofy stats, plus also songs sorted by artist and by year (Henrik is so influential!).

If anyone has any issues with the timing, let me know. I want to make sure people are around to see them posted live.

Out 100-51, I've only voted for:

1+1+3+1+0 = 6

Well, at least no one can accuse me of fixing the results!

Great job, sonofsamiam.

I must admit that there's a song on the 100-51 section that I've never heard. I's "Another Girl, Another Planet" by The Only Ones. I neeeeed to hear it!

Sonofsamiam, I really look forward to seeing your personal list. It seems to be much more full of surprises than my list. I'm sure it will include a lot of great songs I haven't heard or paid enough attention to.

45 of my selections have made the list - but only three of those appear in the top 100.

On a list of this magnitude, it may seem a little silly and petty to focus on minor disappointments, but I do wish Mother by John Lennon would have finished higher. I think it's one of the most powerful songs ever recorded, and was sure it would be a top ten contender. I also expected to see a few more Randy Newman songs...

...but why focus on the negative. I've been absolutely ecstatic about some of the songs I listed that did make it, like Wire's Mannequin, The Fall's Cruiser's Creek, TWO Go-betweens songs, and Wide Open Road by the Triffids. Also, though I didn't vote for it, I was happy to see that Tindersticks track on here. I'd completely forgotten about that album.

Excellent job sonofsamiam

Good comments, and thanks for the nice words, everyone! Definitely the best part of this exercise is seeing all the individual lists, and picking out things one hasn't heard from those. When you see a list full of good things (and the lists that came in were really, really good!), you can generally trust the taste of the listener -- it's better than a music magazine, really!

So...is everyone ready for the Top 50?!?

So...is everyone ready for the Top 50?!?

We sure are! :-)

50-41

050. David Bowie / “Five Years”
049. David Bowie / “Moonage Daydream”
048. Bruce Springsteen / “Born To Run”
047. Jimi Hendrix / “All Along the Watchtower”
046. The Rolling Stones / “Sympathy for the Devil”
045. Donna Summer / “I Feel Love”
044. The La's / “There She Goes”
043. Nirvana / “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
042. Nick Drake / “River Man”
041. The Velvet Underground / “Waiting for the Man”

I really love the peculiarities of tallying lists like this -- for example, 2 non-singles from the same album appearing right next to each other near the top of the list.

Also, I love seeing Donna Summer edging out 3 classic rock staples (go Disco!). And "River Man" is a brilliant song -- fantastic to see it so high.

Well there's my no. 2 (Waiting for the man), my no. 1 only made it to # 359. And I sure don't expect to see my no. 3 in the top 40 :-)

Actually a full five of these were in my list (also Five years, Born to Run, Hendrix' Watchtower, and Sympathy), whereas I had only two songs in all of 100-61. I wonder what that means ...

Thanks for the good work, Sonofsamiam!

In that group I had 3 ("...Watchtower", "I Feel Love", and "River Man"), though I heartily endorse the rest.

For whatever reason, though, "Waiting for the Man" has never been a favorite of mine. Then again, there's such a wealth on VU & Nico to choose from...

40-31

Now I can really feel like Casey Kasem...

...and here's your Top 40 Countdown!

040. Oasis / “Wonderwall”
039. The Beatles / “I Am the Walrus”
038. The Beatles / “Revolution”
037. Stevie Wonder / “Superstition”
036. The Clash / “London Calling”
035. Pink Floyd / “Wish You Were Here”
034. Pixies / “Monkey Gone to Heaven”
033. The Doors / “Light My Fire”
032. The Beatles / “Something”
031. The Rolling Stones / “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”

Probably no big surprises here, as the Beatles and Stones continue their dominance. And I'm sure Jacek will be pleased with the Pixies' placement!

Sadly (to me at least), out of this group I voted for none. (Though I did vote for other Stevie Wonder songs, so I'm really glad to see him make a showing!)

I had the same problem with Nick Drake: Right now I can't for the life of me say why I didn't vote "River Man" (I chose "Time has told me"), but to me his songs don't divide into hits and filler, they're more or less all excellent expressions of the same feeling.

... "same problem", I mean, as S.o.S's having to chose from the wealth of VU&Nico stuff :-)

Now I wonder, was that Moonbeam's one single 60'es top 200 song there in slot # 33?? I voted for that one too + "Revolution" and "Monkey gone to heaven". All fine stuff, though.

I'm very pleased for the high position of "There She Goes" by The La's

Something of a shock to see two non-single Bowie songs making the top 50 and "I Feel Love" at #45. I really like it!

30-21

Now here's an unpredictable group:

030. The Specials / “Ghost Town”
029. Spiritualized / “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”
028. Blur / “Song 2”
027. The Sex Pistols / “Anarchy in the U.K.”
026. Love / “Alone Again Or”
025. The Velvet Underground / “Sunday Morning”
024. Echo and the Bunnymen / “The Killing Moon”
023. Kraftwerk / “The Model”
022. The Beatles / “Nowhere Man”
021. R.E.M. / “Losing My Religion”

If you'd asked me ahead of time to guess the final Top 30, the only ones of these I might have come up with are "Anarchy in the U.K." and "Losing My Religion". I might have guessed "Sunday Morning", but I'm probably giving myself too much credit.

Still ... The Specials, Spiritualized, Love, Echo and the Bunnymen, and Kraftwerk all in the Top 30? Very, very cool....

I voted for 8 of these 10

Eh, I just took a little nap and you're already at number 21. I think the last batch was the most interesting so far. It's great to see Spiritualized this high, but all the songs are great. The ones that I know anyway, there are still some I haven't heard like the La's for instance.

Cool indeed! Of those I only voted Nowhere Man (but also a different track from the same Love album). Great fun, this :-)

I voted for 4 of this last group “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”, “The Killing Moon”, “Losing My Religion” and my #1 “Song 2”, I was expecting all this songs but I also think it was unpredictable, all the others songs was a sorprise for me even “Nowhere Man” (“Anarchy in the U.K.” was the only exception)

Yes, "Nowhere Man" surprised me, too -- if I'd had to guess beforehand what song from Rubber Soul would make it, I would have surely thought "In My Life".

20-16(!!!)

Getting closer to the top, now!

020. Pink Floyd / “Echoes”
019. Sam Cooke / “A Change Is Gonna Come”
018. The Rolling Stones / “Gimme Shelter”
017. David Bowie / “Life on Mars?”
016. The Beatles / “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

Some really fantastic stuff in here ... I was especially surprised (and pleased!) to see "Echoes" so high. Also, Sam Cooke in the Top 20 is a wonderful thing.

"Life on Mars" and "Echoes" this high is a complete surprise for me. But the only song I really like is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

I used the word shocking for "I Feel Love", but I have to take that back. I didn't know what would come...

"Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" ending up this high is definitely the biggest surprise to me. I don't think I have ever seen the song in a critics list! I suppose "Ladies..." was never released as a single and it is very exciting that it's possible for a lot of album tracks to end up this high.

...it is very exciting that it's possible for a lot of album tracks to end up this high.

That's exactly what I love about removing restrictions on lists like this. You have an idea of what you might get, but are never really sure.

Echoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, I give up. No more superlatives from me...

These are 5 amazing songs. I can't tell you how happy I am to see "A Change Is Gonna Come" here.

I never thought of including "Echoes" on my list. But it is sooooo good. Thank you for reminding me!

Did "Meddle" end up among the top 100 albums?

Sorry to correct you, Henrik. Rockdelux put "Ladies..." as the #58 song in "The best songs of the 90s" published in RDL 165.

Did "Meddle" end up among the top 100 albums?

Doesn't look like it -- though it is my fave Floyd album. Even the silly stuff on there works for some reason; it's refreshing to hear them when they didn't take themselves so seriously all the time.

Ha! I knew someone would come back to me about this. But I thought it would take a little longer..!

15-11

It seems like there are some people around reading and commenting, so I'm gonna carry on!

015. The Kinks / “Waterloo Sunset”
014. Radiohead / “Paranoid Android”
013. Television / “Marquee Moon”
012. Bob Dylan / “Tangled Up in Blue”
011. Joy Division / “Love Will Tear Us Apart”

Now THERE'S 5 great songs. No big surprises here, but considering the quality, I'm certainly not one to complain.

Waterloo Sunset forever!

Snusmumrik

My choice from the 60s actually made it to number 76.

It looks like of my personal top 10, only 2 will be chosen. Not overly surprising, although I expected to see my number 2 choice make the cut.

Exactly Honorio, Waterloo Sunset Forever!!!

It's soooooooooo good to see Marquee Moon up there. On the other hand I never understood what's so special about Tangled Up in Blue. Idiot Wind, which I'm sure will make the list as well, is exactly 7,13 times better.

I assume its slightly embarrasing to admit it, but I'll have to go out and get me a Sam Cooke disk tomorrow :-)

Oh, Moonbeam, so perhaps the Doors song in your top 200 was poll # 354?

Bother, I have to go home now, it's close to 7 p.m. this side of the globe. I'll check later, though!

Snusmumrik

Perhaps....

did anyone else have any depeche mode tracks in their polls? I don't see them amognst this poll

I had 2 DM tracks.

On the other hand I never understood what's so special about Tangled Up in Blue. Idiot Wind, which I'm sure will make the list as well, is exactly 7,13 times better.

Hmmm -- I guess I much prefer the lovely, perfectly wrought storytelling of "Tangled..." to the unfettered bile of "Idiot Wind", but obviously they're both masterworks.

Top 10 soon -- I'm gonna count it down one by one. Stay tuned!

9 different Depeche Mode songs got votes, but only 1 ("Enjoy the Silence") got multiple votes, and it's point total didn't crack 200.

Number 10

Here it is -- 7 votes for 1,086 points:

010. The Ronettes / “Be My Baby”

I have to say I was MIGHTY pleased by the showing this got. Some things are just timelessly good.

This is going very well. My no. 7!

I'm just wondering who else voted for the KLF's what time is love? It was No.50 in my top 50 songs. And I'm really chuffed that it made it into the top 200.

I'm supporting you again, Dexternico! What Time Is Love was my no. 24.

Number 9

...Number 9, number 9...

With 8 votes for 1,106 points:

009. Pixies / “Debaser”

Jacek, hopefully you're pleased!

Numbers 9 and 10 are simply perfect

"What Time Is Love?" is one of those tracks that gets me thrilled of pleasure every time I see it in a critics list. Unfortunately though, it doesn't happen too often.

It's just great to see they're still remembered for some of the most catchiest dance tunes ever. Not just for their wacky stunts (which are great though).

Yeah for Debaser!!! I haven't heard that Ronettes song, but early sixties really isn't my cup of tea.

Number 8

Continuing in the vein of '80s indie rock, with 9 votes totalling 1,198.5 points:

008. The Smiths / “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”

Yet another fantastic song...

Sonofsamiam, do you allow us to try to guess, for example, numbers 1 to 5?

I didn't vote for any Smiths tracks in my top 50 even though I'm a fan. I'm surprised There is a light... is that high, Whereas This charming man is quite low in the poll than expected.

Sonofsamiam, do you allow us to try to guess, for example, numbers 1 to 5?

Feel free to guess any of the remaining songs! I'm not going to give anything away until I add them, of course, but it would be fun to see how close some of you come to predicting it!

So here I go:

#1 The Beatles - A day in the life
#2 Bob Dylan - Like a rolling stone
#3 The Beach Boys - Good vibrations
#4 Aretha Franklin - Respect
#5 The Beatles - Strawberry fields forever

Numero 7

I wholeheartedly endorse this one -- with 8 votes and 1,239 points:

007. Marvin Gaye / “What's Going On”

Number 6

7 votes, for 1,266 points: