Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Acclaimed Music Top Songs List?

overly dramatic = 1 song a day

I'm very curious how this turns out. I hope it will completely unpredictable and hopefully match my own top 100 song for song.

I'm pretty close to done now -- just some double-checking left to do. Here are some numbers for the early returns (all high-level stats, nothing revealed yet):

- 20 lists were sent and tallied
- 2,429 different songs received votes
- 521 songs received multiple votes
- 417 songs received more than 200 points (200 points being the maximum any song can get from 1 voter)

Just something to chew on in the meantime. The unveiling of the list will get a new thread all for itself!

Also, one last thing (and I hope everyone agrees with this methodology):

I'm sort of a numbers purist with lists, and I hate to see ties in things like this. However, there were quite a few songs with the same number of points. As a result, I came up with a couple tiebreakers:

1. If 2 songs are tied, the one with more votes gets higher placement.
2. If the 2 songs have the same number of votes, the one with the highest ranking in an individual list gets higher placement.

This gives weight in the first place to consensus and then, barring that, gives weight to the stronger feelings by 1 contributor. Hopefully that makes sense.

It looks like there will still be some ties, even using this method, but I can live with that.

These methods sound excellent.

I can't wait to see the results!!!

Any second now...

My list!

It appears in my yahoo outbox that it was sent to dcal9@allstate.com. I hope my list counts as I worked over 15 hours on it!

It appears in my yahoo outbox that it was sent to dcal9@allstate.com. I hope my list counts as I worked over 15 hours on it!

No worries, Moonbeam, it was counted.

And the list is already being unveiled -- see the separate thread!