Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
40+

It was once said that after 40 rock musicians are past there prime. Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams and (I guess since I not a fan) Tom Waits proved critics wrong. Nowadays you have bands like Guided by Voices, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2, Ministry and the Flaming Lips making some of their best music of their careers. Who are some of your favorite bands that are better now that are 40+, than they've ever been.

Well, My Fave...

now is 47- and if the buzz around the new album turns out to be valid, then Madonna surely would still be near or at the top of her game. Ray of Light was released the year she turned 40, and then she turned out another pretty good effort with Music- though I know Moonbeam may disagree on that one. ;)

Stevie Wonder's another of my favorites, and while his new album may offer some decent material, it's tough tocompete with his formidable classics.

Re: 40+

yes, it is truly great to see the 40+ guys outdoing most of what is slopping radio these days. youth is so admired and marketed, but it's not the end all - be all...Bruce Cockburn, Lloyd Cole are in better form than ever and truly underappreciated; also, a great/creative underground effort you should check out is Leaftree & Downey!!!!

Madonna, Depeche Mode, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones and Kate Bush have all proved in 2005 that the 40+ generation is still able to make great music.

Add The Fall to that list.

Robert Wyatt still keeps his peak he established so many decades before. Oh, and, yes, John Cale plussss Paddy McAloon (OK, btw, he's only 38)...

As much as I hate Depeche Mode their newer stuff is slightly more listenable than that 80s synth crap they tortured us with.

Word.

McAloon... No, he's not. He's 48 (My mistake...)

The New Flaming Lips sounds terrific. There's no one like them. It's rare that a band can be so good for as long as they have. U2 is great too but I think they're getting a second wind since the records after Achtung had only good singles. That's until the 00s when they got reenergized.

Yeah, what's wrong with the Lips? If their origin really took place in the 80's and early 90's, who replaced them afterwards? Some freaky sad professor who's been craving for answers his pathetic telescopes might not truly satisfy? Wayne Coyne is a hell of fairytale and there's no must for crack pipes to examine his supernova daydreams... he's childishly awesome. Let's hope he'll be for.. well... a thousand years. He's Yoda with a beard (no, really...he is )