The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NPR Radio 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century

I'm sorry for all the emoticons, I don't know where they came from. I just cut and paste both lists.

Jacek,
The 300 nominations are already included.

Hmm, indeed they are. I should have checked. Sorry for the trouble.

No problem at all.

Resurrecting an old thread. Since these are "most important", some of these aren't super compelling to me. As much as I love Fats Domino, I'm not sure that music history would be forever altered if "Ain't that a Shame" didn't exist. I'd also say if they're intending "Fire and Rain" to be emblematic of kickstarting the 70s singer-songwriter movement that the case could equally be made for Carole King's "It's Too Late" as being that song. Nice to see "His Eye is on the Sparrow" and "Take my Hand, Precious Lord" in there...for all the praise critics tend to give gospel as one of the main roots musics that led to rock and roll individual gospel songs are almost never mentioned on "influential" lists or "best of" lists.

I doubt that "Oye Como Va" really deserves its position here..I'd replace it with "Little Old Cabin on the Hill" (since that effectively launched recorded country music.)

There's probably a good reason for the inclusion of the PSYCHO film score..but I'm not sure what it is? Are they saying that it set the template for all horror genre films to follow?

This list seems more oriented at a 'high culture' crowd. The sort of people who go to music conservatories for college.

And that's bad because...?

I Wanna Be Sedated now equals high culture.

Never said it was bad. It just means, it's more oriented at genres popularized before the 60's and all the post-Beatles rock nods on the list are some of the more obligatory 'We must include this genre somehow' ones.

Which also means it's archaocentric and generally intended for a different audience than us.

And the only thing wrong with going to a conservatory for college is how smug it seems to make you. (I went to Oberlin College, so I have lots of experience with conservatory students.)