97. DJ SHADOW "Endtroducing..."
96. PIXIES "Surfer Rosa"
95. BECK "Odelay"
94. NICK DRAKE "Pink Moon"
93. THE STROKES "Is This It?"
92. JIMI HENDRIX "Are You Experienced?"
91. CAROLE KING "Tapestry"

Re: Acclaimed Music forum top 100 albums

Great start! I voted for Dusty, DJ Shadow, and Drake in there, and highly endorse the King Crimson, Cohen, Pixies, Beck and Hendrix albums.

I voted for Carole King, Nick Drake and King Crimson. I hope my favoutite albums will be higher in the final list

I voted King Crimson, DJ Shadow, Pixies and Beck. "In the Court of the Crimson King" is the only album in the top 100 that only got three votes, but in all cases it was very high on the list.

Jacek, just curious -- am I the only one who voted for King Crimson / Red?

No, I voted for Red as well.

I voted for Red too

Hey, I am guilty of this too, but stop talking what albums you voted for before their position is revealed. It ruins the surprise.

Dusty and Carole...

were on my list.

Only one

I only had the Strokes in my list.

Great. Only two of my actual albums there (Cohen and Hendrix) but several more artists. It will get increasingly nervewracking to see whether any of my not-so-mainstream albums are actually up there among the top 90 - or were left below the 200 mark. I don't expect to see my 1 Danish, 1 Norwegian and 3 Israeli albums at the top :-) ... but perhaps a few others ...

Sorry, Jacek, didn't mean to inadvertently give anything away!

Anyway, I NEED another installation of the list! Pretty please?

Hey people, today for the first time in my life I made a pizza all by myself and it tasted great!

90. KRAFTWERK "Trans-Europa Express"
89. FRANZ FERDINAND "Franz Ferdinand"
88. MASSIVE ATTACK "Blue Lines"
87. TALKING HEADS "Fear of Music"
85. JIMI HENDRIX "Electric Ladyland" (tie)
85. PRIMAL SCREAM "Screamadelica" (tie)
84. U2 "The Joshua Tree"
83. BJORK "Homogenic"
81. THE SMITHS "The Smiths" (tie)
81. THE STOOGES "Fun House" (tie)

Two ties, but luckily these are the last on the list.

Congrats on the pizza!

Some real AM classics in that group. And I voted for 3 in this bunch (Kraftwerk, Hendrix, and the Stooges -- go Fun House!).

Great work, Jacek!

I like all these albums, and this is only the end of it...but I'm still waiting for the BIG SURPRISE!

Voted for the Strokes as well as Kraftwerk, Primal Scream and The Smiths. I also hoped the AM forum users will be more harsh for Franz Ferdinand's record but... ah well... ;)

Anyway - I really like this list so far very much, great work and congratulations for the pizza Jacek! :)

I must say the fact that Franz Ferdinand made the top 100 surprised me, but not as much as the low positions of both Jimi Hendrix albums. I don't like them much, but seeing as they are so universally revered I thought they would do better.

I'm not terribly surprised about Hendrix placing where he did -- and getting 2 albums in a Top 200 isn't exactly a small feat, especially when said albums came out nearly 40 years ago.

I can see how people find his music a bit dated, or a bit too much of a progenitor to a lot of lousy/stale music. However, I still find Electric Ladyland, in particular, an awe-inspiring album, and about 10x better than the Franz Ferdinand album (which is enjoyable but not exactly life-altering, to me at least).

But that's what these types of lists are good for -- debate, and hopefully some new discoveries.

I suppose the reason why I don't like Hendrix is that I'm not very fond of blues. For the same reason I'm not a great fan of Jeff Beck, the Yardbirds or early Led Zeppelin. For me punk-rock was a step forward not because it brought back simplicity and introduced social awareness into rock, but because it finally got rid of all the blues influences. Another thing is in my book he was a pretty limited songwriter. You can't just build an album around a zillion guitar solos, you need great melodies and arrangements as well. Of course it's just my opinion and I realize plenty of people will disagree with me. As for that Franz Ferdinand album shame on me I still haven't heard it, but it's so expensive I'd rather spend my limited resources on something else.

Regarding the blues, I like older blues (as in 1920s-1950s) because there was a rawness and realness to it that is just as stripped-back as punk. (And punk does owe debts to the blues, and not just in spirit.) But yeah, there's been a lot of slick bastardization of the blues in rock that is quite boring -- I agree wholeheartedly there.

That said, I think there is only a small blues element to Hendrix's music, and quite a large pop element. He certainly could write melodies and arrange (check "Little Wing" or "Burning of the Midnight Lamp"). Mainly he was an alchemist of many different influences -- the guitar wizardry is only a piece of the experience (no pun intended) for me.

Just my take.

I must admit I am completely ignorant about older blues music and my knowledge of modern blues is feeble at best. When I said I didn't like blues I thought of blues rock. To me blues rock is too organized, it lacks spontaneity. Kim Deal of the Pixies once said that she purposefully never tried to learn music theory, the proper way of building scales, harmonies etc. because by not knowing it she was not being limited by it, even though this meant she couldn't jam or improvise on stage the way bluesmen do. I'm probably just trying to find an explanation for my own dislike of blues, but the fact is but I'll take an amateurish Pixies or Sonic Youth noise fest over any Clapton or Handrix solo.

Jacek, I agree with your sentiment thoroughly. Big difference between blues and blues rock, of course.

Check out Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, or Son House some time. The sound quality isn't usually very good on these recordings, but there is a fire there that is certainly not in the "organized"-sounding music you speak of.

Of course, blues is limited to a degree by its chord progressions, which is why there are few interesting blues recordings being made today (at least that I know of). The well appears to be dry. But if you can get past some of the samey-soundingness, these are some primal, even somewhat-scary works.

Three...

albums from my list appeared in 81-90. Cool!

I had Franz Ferdinand and Björk in my list as well.

Blues

Sounds like a run of "favorite 10 blues albums" lists would be a fine thing. (I tend to agree about modern blues albums being not wildly exciting - but does someone have some good examples to prove us wrong?).

80. SCOTT WALKER "Scott 4"
79. SUEDE "Dog Man Star"
78. LOU REED "Transformer"
77. THE SEX PISTOLS "Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols"
76. THE KINKS "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society”"
75. GENESIS "Selling England by the Pound"
74. PJ HARVEY "To Bring You My Love"
73. PAVEMENT "Slanted and Enchanted"
72. FLEETWOOD MAC "Rumours"
71. LED ZEPPELIN "Led Zeppelin IV"

Great list! Wow, I'd rather **forgotten** I liked "Selling England" (never got my own copy when I moved out of a place where we used to listen to it). Good to see PJ Harvey in there, she was high on my list.

Great group! Out of those I voted for Scott Walker (amazing album!), the Kinks, and Pavement, but I would endorse all 10. (Though I admit to being totally burned out on Rumours and LZ IV due to radio oversaturation.)

I wonder if The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway will make it?

"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is on the 101-200 list at number 115.

Well, that answers that! (Blast my short-term memory.)

My number 1 (Selling England By The Pound)is only #75

Hey

My number one was only a meager 193 on this list. :(

I had two in the last 10 as well- Lou Reed and PJ Harvey.

Cheer up Giuseppe. Many people's number 1's didn't make the top 100, including my own. And besides 75 is still much better than 931, the album's position on the main AM list.

Oops...

I actually should have said that I had 3 albums in that range; only 1 I included in my list was there.

For the 71-80 range, I have a couple of the albums, but just 1 appeared on the list I submitted.

A really great list so far. But I want to introduce some degree of controversy. Already we have in the list one of “the 3 most overrated albums in rock history” in my opinion, “Slanted and Enchanted”. The other two will surely appear on higher positions (“Loveless” and “Psychocandy”). You may argue that these albums are original, innovative and influential.
Original? Well, you can hit purposely the wrong notes or you can bury the vocals in the mix, but that’s not necessarily a good idea. What’s wrong with making the lyrics understandable?
Innovative? Well, adding a wall of noise to sweet pop melodies is not an entirely new idea. The Ramones were doing it before (and better) for years.
Influential? No doubt, but for years a lot of (less brilliant) indie bands have used the same resources without the necessary talent to develop them.
I don’t mean that those albums contain bad music, but in my opinion are not as good as everyone seems to think.

As far as the 3 albums mentioned, I have to say the only reasons I like 'em are good songs. Though only 1 of the 3 made my list. Rock crit things like influence and "importance" carry little weight for me, to be quite honest.

Since all three albums made my list I feel I need to stick up for them. Mind you, I agree with many of Honorio's arguments, mainly that albums should not be judged by how original or innovative they are. Music is not science, the point isn't to push the boundaries, but create something that is exciting to listen. Of course if you can do both it's a plus and I can see why critics are willing to give such albums extra credit. But I think the reason people who participated in the making of this list voted for these albums was not their revolutionary nature, but quality of the music. Personally I think Loveless is a brilliant album, one of the best ever. As for Psychocandy and Slanted and Enchanted I wouldn't say they're quite in the same league, but I like them a lot. Although I must admit I'm annoyed Psychocandy is higher on the main AM list than Daydream Nation, Loveless and both Pixies albums.

I think one of the biggest surprises so far in this poll is that Daydream Nation didn't make the top 100.

"Loveless" has always been a record I respected a little bit more than I really liked, have to admit. But then I must say I respect it very much, so it was in my 100. I prefer the first Ride album when it comes to shoegazing though.

I can also easily understand why some people feel "Psychocandy" is unlistenable, but personally I love it. A truly innovative, revolutionary record and probably the best LP ever to listen to after four beers.

I have no problem with Pavement's first LP too, although I tend to prefer "Crooked Rain Crooked Rain" - both of them would sure be in my second 100.

very interesting list so far. and to bring more debate what about nme favorites, they made 3 places in the last 3 updates 100-91 the strokes, 90-81 Franz Ferdlnand and 80-71 Suede - Dog Man Star(shocking!) and still dont come out blur, oasis, pulp or Spritualized in my opinion this groups are alredy in the status of clasics (but i still dont think they are as good as Electric Ladyland) some of this are gonna maka better places in the am list with the years im sure.

Aw, it's such a shame to see the Sex Pistols end up higher than the much better Fun House. But perhaps the 7-disc Fun House Sessions will still make the top 10!

Already saw about 15 albums i voted for, expected some of them higher, but i'm sure there will be a lot of good things still coming.

Hey, I’m glad to have raised some controversy. I completely agree with Jacek in “the point is to create something that is exciting to listen”. However everyone can find the excitement with very different musical experiences. Some may find sublime a Hendrix fiery guitar solo and others find it self-indulgent. Some people may jump after hearing a few seconds of “Block Rockin’ Beats” while some people immediately turn off the radio. The feelings that music can produce are very difficult to transfer or even describe. It’s not only good lyrics, good melody, good rhythm, good performances. There’s “something else” that really touches you. And simply I don’t find that “something else” in “Loveless” and the other two albums.

70. THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN "Psychocandy"
69. THE CURE "Disintegration"
68. TOM WAITS "Swordfishtrombones"
67. NEIL YOUNG "After the Gold Rush"
66. MICHAEL JACKSON "Thriller"
65. LOU REED "Berlin"
64. NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"
63. LAURYN HILL "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"
62. KING CRIMSON "Red”"
61. TALK TALK "Spirit of Eden"

I scored my usual two with Lou Reed and The Cure. I'm ecstatic that Disintegration made the top 100. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see Berlin here, in addition to ranking higher than Transformer. I think Thriller is actually one of MJ's weaker efforts, although decent enough.

If I had not read the messages here above, "Red" would to me be the big surprise so far. I haven't seen so much acclaim of the album elsewhere and I don't think it has been mentioned a lot in this forum before. It's the first album in this countdown that I haven't given a fair listen. I will do tonight!

On the other hand, I thought the "Aeroplane" would be in the top 25 after all previous discussions!

Thanks again, Jacek. Your lists have made this a great week!

To all: Play the albums you own and enjoy the weekend!

Maybe if Harold Wexler had participated In the Aeroplane Over the Sea would have been higher. I remember he was a fan. Personally I'm delighted that Talk Talk did so well in the poll. Spirit of Eden made the top 100 and two other albums were in the second hundred.

Very cool 10! I like-to-love all of those albums, though only 2 (Red and Spirit of Eden) cracked my Top 100. I also agree with Moonbeam that it's neat to see Berlin ahead of Transformer.

Henrik, Red is one heck of an intense album. Track 4 is somewhat skippable, but the rest is a prog/experimental/metal fusion monster, though with definite moments of beauty (see the chorus of "Starless") along the way. I love it, though there are those I know who don't.

7 of these 10 were in my list.

Four of these ten made mine (Disintegration, Aeroplane, Red, Spirit). I wonder if i'll have any albums from my top 10 remaining to be in the top 10

My guesses to really make the top 10: Astral Weeks, a Beatles album, perhaps even two, some Dylan stuff, Marquee Moon. But well, don't take my word, as i would have thought Eno would make the top 20 too and he was somewhere in the 101-200 region.

I'm pleased to have helped "Berlin" along (and Young's "Goldrush"!), but I assume it's abysmally embarassing to admit I've never even *heard of* "Aeroplane Over the Sea" ... ??? What's it like?

Have a nice weekend, everyone

It's lo-fi folk-rock with unusual instrumentation like bag pipes and weird, occasionally obscene lyrics. Think Cat Stevens on heavy drugs.

It's also, semi-obliquely, about the life (and death) of Anne Frank, and her ghost haunting the album's protagonist (in a good way).

Among other things.

AEROPLANE is indeed partially about Anne Frank; it's also about leader Jeff Mangum's brother (an apparent suicide), and about how (as Arthur Lee once put it) "all that lives has gotta die" and how we need to make peace with that. It has occasional ornate instrumentation (horns, musical saw) but its most compelling moments occur when it's just Mangum and his acoustic, singing and playing with shockingly naked emotion. The centerpiece is an eight-odd minute opus called "Oh Comely"; at the end a voice in the background mutters "Holy s--t!", and the song earns it. It's a great, one-of-a-kind album, and if I'd voted (sorry, sorry, I simply never got around to it), it would definitely have made my top three.

Lauryn and Michael J...

were on my list, so kudos. :)

60. JOHN COLTRANE "A Love Supreme"
59. DAVID BOWIE "Hunky Dory"
58. KRAFTWERK "Die Mensch-Maschine"
57. TOM WAITS "Rain Dogs"
56. CHARLES MINGUS "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady"
55. BJORK "Debut"
54. JONI MICTHELL "Blue"
53. OASIS "(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?"
52. THE VERVE "Urban Hymns"
51. NIRVANA "In Utero"

Two of the three most acclaimed jazz albums in these last ten. "Kind of blue" should hit the top 20.
No real surprises in these last : three classics of the 90s with Nirvana, Oasis and The Verve but none of my own top 100...

Three from my top 100 this time, Mingus' album had the highest position with a 7th place i think. Cool to see there are more people who worship Urban Hymns that much (it was in my top 20). I think there are still about 5 albums from my first 20 that still gotta come (or they didn't make the top 200...)

I placed my usual two: Kraftwerk and Björk.

I placed only Joni Mitchell in this group

50. VAN MORRISON "Astral Weeks"
49. R.E.M. "Murmur"
48. JEFF BUCKLEY "Grace"
47. STEVIE WONDER "Songs in the Key of Life"
46. BLUR "Parklife"
45. THE WHO "Who’s Next"
44. SPIRITUALIZED "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"
43. PULP "Different Class"
42. THE ARCADE FIRE "Funeral"
41. TALKING HEADS "Remain in Light"

Yay, Stevie!

I had 6 Stevie albums on my list.

As usual

I've got 2 as usual!

Stevie Wonder and The Arcade Fire made my list.

Good to see Murmur, and not just the later REM stuff. Thanks for the info on "Aeroplane over the sea". I'll **charge** out and get it on monday. That's the nice thing about seeing other people's' lists.

I'm glad to see Pulp, Spiritualized and Jeff Buckley in the top 50. What a surprise too see Arcade Fire ranked so high. The album only has a 10 months life, it seems to me a little short to know if an album is a classic or not.

I agree Funeral's position on the list is a big surprise as, but I think it is deserved. It is a long time since I last came across an album with two songs as brilliant as Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels) and Rebellion (Lies) and there other standout tracks as well. These highlights make me easily forgive the somewhat uninspired middle section and I hope it soon cracks the AM top 200.

On my list "Funeral" was around the position it finally achieved and I believe it fully deserves it. I'm glad to notice some other records I voted for are on the list, eg. Murmur, Grace, Parklife, Different Class, Ladies & Gentlemen, Morning Glory, Urban Hymns, Disintegration, In The Aeroplane (Snusmumrik: let us know what you think! Personally I love this LP, the very sad thing is that that genius called Jeff Magnum doesn't make music anymore).

My bets for the Top 10: Pet Sounds, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, London Calling, Marquee Moon, OK Computer, Closer, VU & Nico, The Queen Is Dead, The Stone Roses. Would be great!

Cheers.

I would be very happy if an album like "The soft bulletin" hit the top 10. The album deserve this !

So there's my number 2: Astral Weeks. Today i gave my predictions for the top 10 and this was in it. Seems like your lists all disappoint me
I don't think the arcade fire album deserves that place and if this was done 5 years later it certainly wouldn't make the top 100. I liked it at first listen, but after 5 listens it already started to drag.

I had Grace, Remain in Light and Who's Next in my list too, i think.

I really hope Marquee Moon will make the top 10, because only that, Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisted, Revolver, Live at Leeds and Live at Folsom Prison are left from my top 15. I don't see two Dylan albums make the top 10, but it would be cool and those two live album won't make it too.
I haven't seen Amon Düül II yet, has every album that made someones top 20 made the best 200?

Well done, buddies! This list rocks!

By now, I have 11 albums from the TOP 100 and 13 from the 101-200 list

I glad with Arcade Fire (Funeral was #48 on my list) and Spiritualized (Ladies And Getlemen... was my #29) . But I dissapoint with the low possitions of Pink Moon (my #1) , Berlin (my #3) and XTRMNTR (my #7)

But I still have hopes : Loveless, Closer and London Calling to the TOP 10!! And all would be better if some Yo La Tengo or Ornette Coleman album appears... but that's quite improbable (or not?)

No way

There's no way any albums from my top 10 will make the top 10 in this poll, but that's ok, I suppose.

I still have to go through the whole list but i've had a few so far (7 in the last patch)

My guess is after the UK publications do the EOY's for 2005 Funeral will leap over FF in the overall rankings it's a dead cert to be in the top 10 in Mojo and Uncut and probably NME and Q as well.

In the Aeroplane

Well, it may be a few days before I can voice an opinion on "In the Aeroplane", Kuba, 'cause not a single store in Copenhagen seems to have it :-(

40. THE DOORS "The Doors"
39. JOHN LENNON "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band"
38. RADIOHEAD "The Bends"
37. THE BEATLES "Rubber Soul"
36. MILES DAVIS "Kind of Blue"
35. THE ROLLING STONES "Sticky Fingers"
34. NIRVANA "Nevermind"
33. THE ROLLING STONES "Exile on Main Street"
32. PINK FLOYD "Wish You Were Here"
31. U2 "Achtung Baby"

I suggest you just order it from the internet, Snusmumrik. It's virtually impossible to find in the shops in Europe. I simply downloaded it from KaZaa, but if see a copy I will buy it.

Oh dear! Not a single album in the 31-40 list that I don't appreciate and play quite regularly. And still I think I only squeezed Sticky Fingers and Nevermind into my own list. Weird business making lists. Yep, Jacek, I'll go right ahead and order Aeroplane from somewhere. Thanks for a terrific experience this far.

Yuck

Only one in that last batch with The Doors barely scraping in my list. Too much old classic stuff for me in that last group!

Old stuff

Just a stray thought, Moonbeam: I wonder if part of the reason that certain not-so-recent albums are always near the top in published lists, is that we sort of KNOW we're supposed to like them? I don't know ... I *think* I simply listed the ones that please me (so there's some stuff in my list that probably most people wouldn't touch with a stick), but still you somehow know that you're weird if there's not a single Beatles album in your list :-)

I guess I prefer the older stuff then, as I was up from 1 (41-50) to 7 picks in this one (no Bends, Rubber or Exile)!

If I have done this correctly, here are the 30 most acclaimed albums that aren't in the 31-200 list. Which albums do you think will / will not enter the forum top 30?

pet sounds
revolver
vu & nico
sgt pepper
blonde on blonde
what's going on
london calling
highway 61
ok computer
white album
ziggy stardust
it takes a nation
dark side of the moon
abbey road
blood on the tracks
marquee moon
let it bleed
queen is dead
innervisions
automatic for the people
purple rain
closer
live at the apollo
forever changes
otis blue
trout mask replica
stone roses
appetite for destruction
led zeppelin II
graceland

only 30 left

there are not to many options (4 beatles, 2 or 3 bob dylan albums, Ok Computer etc.) but i think that Kid A could maked into the list also Definitely Maybe and maybe Dummy is going to be in the top 10, and im not sure but im havent see Suede debut album

Suede's debut is in the second hundred at number 125.

For me the albums with less chances of reaching the Top 30 could be those from Captain Beefheart, James Brown, Rolling Stones, Guns 'n' Roses and Led Zeppelin. I hope Otis Redding could get into the Top 30.

Snusmumrik

I definitely agree that there is an old guard of albums that are deemed untouchable and necessary to like. That kind of attitude turns me off. People should be free to like or dislike whatever their taste suggests.

Like what you like

Absolutely, Moonbeam! No one should force any taste on you. But I guess if e.g. I feel that Exile on Main Street can be boring and sloppy (random and partly made-up example), I tell *myself* to give it a second and perhaps a 56th listen, since I might miss something that everybody else is getting out of it. Newer albums may be less likely to get that benefit.

My guess is that only 22 of the albums above made it.

Important Notice: I just realised I accidentally left out two albums that should be on the list. I totaled the points correctly, but then somehow missed them while compiling the list. These are The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs at number 94 and Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left at number 172. After I finish the countdown I will post the the full list again with corrections. I'm really sorry about this.

30. JOY DIVISION "Unknown Pleasures"
29. RADIOHEAD "Kid A"
28. BOB DYLAN "Blood on the Tracks"
27. R.E.M. "Automatic for the People"
26. THE FLAMING LIPS "The Soft Bulletin"
25. BOB DYLAN "Blonde on Blonde"
24. PORTISHEAD "Dummy"
23. MY BLOODY VALENTINE "Loveless"
22. STEVIE WONDER "Innervisions"
21. DAVID BOWIE "Low"

Ha, there's my number one! There are too many good Dylan albums, so i didn't expect it to make the top 10. Perhaps H61R will, but i think it's 11-20.
Unknown pleasures even ended this high? Than Closer might end up very high.
The other albums aren't that surprising too, all regular players in my stereo and great albums for sure!

Top end Dylan

Well, with "Blood" and "Blonde", Dylan is well represented, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing one of those brilliant live recordings of his released lately up there near the top. But I guess the fact that the stuff came out some three decades after being recorded gives it a handicap :-)

Just got back after a bit of an Internet hiatus, so I'm now just seeing 60-21. Some great things in there! (And some usual suspects, too, though I can hardly complain about them. Except the Doors. ) I also think the bloom may fall off the Arcade Fire rose in time (good album, but not that good, IMO). I'm also mildly surprised to see Portishead so high, especially with Massive Attack lower in the list and Mezzanine not even likely to make it.

Anyway, out of this last 40 I had listed:

A Love Supreme [my No. 2!]
Rain Dogs [No. 45]
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady [No. 4]
Blue [No. 7]
Murmur [No. 46]
Songs in the Key of Life [No. 78]
Remain in Light [No. 68]
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band [No. 60]
Kind of Blue [No. 28]
Exile on Main Street [No. 38]
Kid A [No. 69]
Blood on the Tracks [No. 6]
The Soft Bulletin [No. 64]
Blonde on Blonde [No. 74]
Innervisions [No. 1!]
Low [No. 39]

6 of my original Top 20 remain unlisted, and I think only 1 of those is likely to make it. (Though someone else voted for At Folsom Prison, so maybe the Man in Black still has a shot!)

I can't wait to see the individual lists, by the way. Hopefully everyone will post them.

Nice

I return to my usual two with Joy Division and David Bowie.

Two From My List, Too...

R.E.M. and Stevie.

Bloody hell! 5 of the albums from 30-21 were in my top 100. 4 of them being in my top 10.

REM Automatic for the people (#26)
DAVID BOWIE Low (#10)
RADIOHEAD Kid A (#8)
PORTISHEAD Dummy (#6)
MY BLOODY VALENTINE Loveless (#2)

Hang on I also had 'Innervisions' by Stevie Wonder at #90 in my top 100.

The Flaming Lips rules, yeah !!! (#3 in my list). I'm also glad to see "69 love songs" in the top 100 ! (#2 in my list). No surprises in the #30 to 21 albums, only old acclaimed classics.

I've liked to see "Blonde on Blonde" in the Top 10.

R.E.M., FLAMING LIPS and BOB DYLAN in my list.

Glad to see MAGNETIC FIELDS in top 100 , but "In the Court of the Crimson King" (my #5) will get out of it

Well, we're getting closer to the Top Ten. Any guesses for the number 1? As far as I can see that many of you are more willing to support "non-classic" material, my guess will be Radiohead's "OK Computer".
Any more guesses?

20. OASIS "Definitely Maybe"
19. BOB DYLAN "Highway 61 Revisited"
18. PRINCE "Purple Rain"
17. PIXIES "Doolittle"
16. PINK FLOYD "Dark Side of the Moon"
15. MARVIN GAYE "What’s Going On"
14. TELEVISION "Marquee Moon"
13. LOVE "Forever Changes"
12. JOY DIVISION "Closer"
11. THE CLASH "London Calling"

Only 1

Only one of these was in my list (Prince of course), but if I made my list today I would probably include Television as well. A lot of these albums would be in my 101-300 range as well!

The Brits are doing really well in this poll, with lots of britpop albums in the top 100. And I think there will be another 8 British albums in the top 10, including Beatles' 66-69 canon.

My top 10 predictions:
1. OK Computer
2. Pet Sounds
3. VU & Nico
4. White Album
5. Revolver
6. Sgt Pepper
7. Ziggy Stardust
8. Abbey Road
9. The Stone Roses
10. The Queen Is Dead

I may have got it completely wrong though, as this would mean that "It Takes a Nation..." and "Let It Bleed" didn't make the top 200. Hard to believe, but I just can't work it out any other way.

Am I the only one here who appreciates a little heavy metal now and then?

Well (hope I've got this right), the highest score yet by an album not in the "official" A.M. top 100 is "The Soft Bulletin" (#26 in the poll list, #192 in the official one) closely followed by “Kid A” (poll #29 vs. A.M. #155). The highest by one not even in the official top 200 is Arcade Fire's "Funeral" (poll #42, AM #361) with "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" hard on it's heels (#44 vs. #336).
So I guess the chances of an absolute black horse in the top 10 are minimal. - But going by Henrik's list two days ago of 30 most acclaimed albums not in the poll yet, there are some surprises: A full eight albums since then were not in his list ("Unknown Pleasures", "Kid A", "The Soft Bulletin", "Dummy", "Loveless", "Low", "Definitely Maybe" and "Doolittle"), so there's gotta be some of the usual suspects which there won't be room for at the top. I guess OK Computer as no. 1 is a good guess, Honorio. Only alternative would be a group starting with "Bea-", I assume :-)

Henrik, could it be that Let it Bleed will be in the top 10, and one of the Beatles albums (Abbey Road?), or possibly the Stone Roses left out?

1 2