Go to the NEW FORUM
I thought that since Acclaimed Music is a site based around music lists it would be appropriate if we made one ourselves. I did a little survey whether this is a good idea (see my "Let's make a list" thread below) and although I didn't get many responses, the ones I did get were only positive, so I take it as a sign of approval.
So here's the deal. Make a numbered list of your 100 favourite albums (no compilations allowed) and either email it to my address email@example.com (be sure to write your AM nickname, so I know who it is from) or post it here. The first option is preferable, because if many people post their lists it will take away from the element of surprise when the finished list is revealed. Of course the more people participate and sumbit their lists the better so keep me busy
That's OK for me Jacek. But a top 50 wouldn't has been better and easier than a top 100 ? It's very difficult to rank 50 albums but 100 albums... It's gonna take me a few days to prepare...
Hi there Jacek!
My list is available at http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view/list_id_is_6098
Great initiative, Jacek!
I agree that this will be much more fascinating if the individual lists are not posted here until the total results (countdown?) have been revealed, but my list is hopefully not a secret to anyone, as it can be found from the Q&A page.
Jacek, I think it's really important that the individual lists get posted (at the very least at the end), as part of what I find most fascinating about this exercise are the buried treasures and lesser-known albums people love. Also, if people don't post their lists along the way, how will this thread get bumped?
Either way, I plan on contributing. Oh, and my list (which I'll both post and e-mail) will far exceed 100, as I just can't limit myself. Obviously only use the Top 100 of mine, of course.
One last question -- will the points be awarded as #1=100 points, #100=1 point?
Thanks for the encouragement Henrik. I have already put your list and Moonbeam's into my database.
Dumbangel, I asked for a top 100 because it seems to be the magic number with music lists and there are so many great albums I don't think it will be excessive. And I know ranking so many albums is difficult, I'm making a list too
Sonofsamiam, your post appeared as I was posting mine, so I'll address it separately. Yes, I plan to award points using the system you mentioned, but I think I might ask Henrik for some tips too. And when I post the finished list I will post all the individual ones as well, so no worries here.
Jacek, I also wanted to mention that if you want any assistance or tips with tabulation, just ask -- I'm more than willing to help in any way.
Thanks for the offer Sonofsamiam, but I think I'll manage. I put all the lists into an Excel database, so later counting points will be easy. I already have three, including my own, and there were no problems so far.
Sounds like you're on it, Jacek!
Meanwhile, I'm trying to whittle down a list from 750. Really, really painful stuff...
I have some difficulties to make my list, it's hard to find in my 800 albums 100 of them that are strong enough to appear in an all-time list... And I cannot find the time to make it and also keep fightin' for the song snake game ! I'm so tired...
You take it too seriously, Dumbangel. Just pick the albums you like the most and don't worry about rest.
Jacek, my list should be in your Inbox. It got pretty long -- 515 in total. But I love 'em all.
I've just sent to you my list by mail. I've finally managed to find 100 great albums from my records collection and to rank them. It's been long and difficult...
take a look at your mailbox. I've just sent to you my list.
After the inclusion of Giuseppe's list I already have 8 lists in my database and I must say the results so far are very interesting. The mix is quite eclectic and there are some surprising picks in high positions (rough estimate, of course). On the other hand a number of hugely acclaimed albums failed to make any impact at all. I'm curious to see if this tendency continues as more lists are added.
Giuseppe, could you please re-send me your list? My mail server went berserk on Sunday and it got deleted before I copied it to an external file. I was told the damn thing is working again, so I hope there will be no more problems.
Well, it appears Giuseppe's list was only deleted from my account, but was stored on the server and I managed to recover it. No need for resending now, sorry for the confusion.
However, if you have some problem, there's no problem for me in resending to you my list.
Hurry up with these lists. I didn't get any since last Sunday!
I'm working on a list and will get some people I know on this too. Any deadline decided yet?
Nope, no deadline, but the sooner the better.
Hey, I just noticed you added a link to the poll thread on the AM main page. Thanks, Henrik.
By the way, yesterday I got a list with a Prince album on it that wasn't on Moonbeam's list. And like, Moonbeam has them all! Any guesses what album it is?
Not in my top 100 or top 200?
My guess is The Black Album.
and then, it's a matter of ranking them.
There will be some Acclaimed Music ones on my list, for sure- but there also will be a few that don't feature on the site.
Jacek, I love your idea and wanted to give it a push. If you have a deadline, I will add it to the text on the main page.
I will probably wait until I get a few more lists and then impose a deadline. I know making a list like that is difficult and time-consuming (you have to give many albums another listen) and I don't want to rush people.
Moonbeam, the album I mentioned wasn't in your top 100 and it's not the Black Album.
Is It Come, Jacek?
Yup. How did you know?
I should have guessed it the first time around!
I'll bet it was on a list submitted by damosuzuki as well, because I've seen him mention how much he loves Come on a Prince website.
U can find my list at
Click on : 100 albums pour une île déserte.
Jacek, i sent u a PM with the list.
I want go on holiday in the middle of August and because I won't have access to the internet where I'll be staying I'd like to post the results before I leave. So everybody please submit your lists until the last day of July, which conveniently happens to be Sunday. It's over two weeks from now, which should be enough time. I hope all the regular posters participate, albeit everyone else is welcome as well.
I made a separate post, so this is just to bring the thread back to the top.
I'm just wondering, when you say no compilations do you mean no best of's or no compilations by various artists?
By a compilation I mean a collection of songs that were either previously released on separate master discs: LP's, EP's or singles. All greatest hits albums, singles and rarities collections and non-original soundtracks are compilations, original soundtracks are not.
Jacek - I tried mailing you, but it bounced back.
I don't know if I can do 100 by Sunday. Is a top 50 for me Ok?
Hmm, I don't know why your mail was returned to you. It might have been some temporary problems with the server, so just try again at a different time. And you don't have to make your list a top 100, just put on it as many albums as you can. JR for instance had only 71 albums on his.
Such a fine day. I got four lists today, which brings the total to 19. Hope this number will continue to grow.
I heard about this initiative via Rateyourmusic.com, have never posted on this forum, but i do use acclaimedmusic now and then to find new music. Am i allowed to join too?
Should it be 100 albums and does order matter?
And what about notation, does that matter?
I.e.: "Bob Dylan, or Dylan, Bob", and "Smiths, or The Smiths, or Smiths, the"?
1. Yes, I accept readers' lists, so feel free to send me yours
2. You can put less than a 100 albums on your list, although a top 100 is of course preferable
3. As for notations you can follow this pattern
1. Television - Marquee Moon
2. Neil Young - Harvest
3. The Pretenders - Learning to Crawl etc.
Is there even a way to "join" this forum by signing up? I have been unaware if there is.
Hello this is Dexternico. I have finally made my top 100 albums of all-time it has quite a varied amount of stuff in the top 100. There are a couple of suprise albums that have made the top 100 that don't normally enter polls. I hope you enjoy looking at it.
1) BEASTIE BOYS Paul's boutique (1989)
2) MY BLOODY VALENTINE Loveless (1991)
3) THE PRODIGY Music for the jilted generation (1994)
4) THE BEATLES Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band (1967)
5) BJORK Homogenic (1997)
6) PORTISHEAD Dummy (1994)
7) KRAFTWERK Trans-Europe express (1977)
8) RADIOHEAD Kid A (2000)
9) PUBLIC IMAGE LTD. Metal box (1979)
10) DAVID BOWIE Low (1977)
11) THE PRODIGY The fat of the land (1997)
12) UNDERWORLD Beaucoup fish (1999)
13) SIMPLE MINDS Sons and fascination/Sister feelings call (1981)
14) THE BLUE NILE A walk across the rooftops (1984)
15) PINK FLOYD The piper at the gates of dawn (1967)
16) GENESIS The lamb lies down on Broadway (1974)
17) THE POLICE Zenyatta mondatta (1980)
18) PRINCE & THE REVOLOUTION Purple rain (1984)
19) THE CURE Pornography (1982)
20) CAN Monster movie (1969)
21) NINE INCH NAILS Pretty hate machine (1989)
22) DEPECHE MODE Black celebration (1986)
23) PETER GABRIEL Peter Gabriel [III] (1980)
24) ORBITAL Orbital [The brown album] (1993)
25) PETER GABRIEL Peter Gabriel [IV]/Security (1982)
26) R.E.M. Automatic for the people (1992)
27) HAWKWIND Space ritual (1973)
28) DEPECHE MODE Violator (1990)
29) CAPTAIN BEEFHEART AND HIS MAGIC BAND Trout mask replica (1969)
30) A TRIBE CALLED QUEST The low end theory (1991)
31) JOY DIVISION Closer (1980)
32) APHEX TWIN Richard D James album (1996)
33) BLACK DOG PRODUCTIONS (Bytes) (1992)
34) AUTECHRE Confield (2001)
35) R.E.M. Murmur (1983)
36) BOARDS OF CANADA Geogaddi (2002)
37) CABERET VOLTAIRE Red Mecca (1981)
38) THE BEATLES Abbey Road (1969)
39) THE SMITHS The Smiths (1984)
40) THE BEATLES Revolver (1966)
41) THE STONE ROSES The Stone roses (1989)
42) ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN Crocodiles (1980)
43) THE BEATLES A hard day's night (1964)
44) DJ SHADOW Endtroducing..... (1996)
45) TRICKY Maxinquaye (1995)
46) THE SMASHING PUMPKINS Mellon Collie and the infinate sadness (1995)
47) 808 STATE Ex:El (1991)
48) BLUR Blur (1997)
49) KATE BUSH Hounds of love (1985)
50) THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS Dig your own hole (1997)
51) KRAFTWERK The man machine (1978)
52) MOBY Everything is wrong (1995)
53) BJORK Post (1995)
54) KRAFTWERK Computer world (1981)
55) UNDERWORLD Everything, everything (2000)
56) DEPECHE MODE Some great reward (1984)
57) THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS Exit planet dust (1995)
58) BEASTIE BOYS Licensed to ill (1986)
59) THE BEATLES The Beatles [The white album] (1968)
60) PRIMAL SCREAM XTRMNTR (2000)
61) THE STREETS Original pirate material (2002)
62) UNDERWORLD Second toughest in the infants (1996)
63) U-ZIQ Tango 'n vectif (1993)
64) MASSIVE ATTACK Protection (1994)
65) APHEX TWIN Selected ambient works '85-'92 (1992)
66) THE BEATLES Magical mystery tour (1967)
67) THE STREETS A grand don't come for free (2004)
68) THE KLF The White room (1991)
69) BJORK Medulla (2004)
70) GENESIS Foxtrot (1972)
71) RAMONES Ramones (1976)
72) THE SMITHS The Queen is dead (1986)
73) PUBLIC ENEMY Fear of a black planet (1990)
74) RADIOHEAD OK computer (1997)
75) ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN Heaven up here (1981)
76) JAPAN Tin drum (1981)
77) THE JAM Sound affects (1980)
78) HUSKER DU Warehouse: Songs and stories (1987)
79) THE VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO The Velvet underground & Nico (1967)
80) SPIRITUALIZED Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space (1997)
81) PUBLIC ENEMY It takes a nation of millions to hold us back (1988)
82) JOHN LENNON/PLASTIC ONO BAND John Lennon/Plastic Ono band (1970)
83) RADIOHEAD Amnesiac (2001)
84) THE CURE Faith (1981)
85) THE ORB The Orb's adventures beyond the Ultraworld (1991)
86) THE BLUE NILE Hats (1989)
87) UNDERWORLD Dubnobasswithmyheadman (1993)
88) STEREOLAB Transient random-noise bursts with announcements (1993)
89) THE ORB UFOrb (1992)
90) STEVIE WONDER Innervisions (1973)
91) DIZZEE RASCAL Boy in da corner (2003)
92) DJ SHADOW The private press (2002)
93) MANIC STREET PREACHERS The Holy Bible (1994)
94) DAFT PUNK Discovery (2001)
95) ORBITAL The middle of nowhere (1999)
96) MY BLOODY VALENTINE Isn't anything (1988)
97) THE LA'S The La's (1989)
98) THE WHITE STRIPES White blood cells (2001)
99) TALKING HEADS Fear of music (1979)
100) THE SPECIALS The Specials (1979)
The E-mail adress above is not mine I misunderstood thinking that my top 100 would be posted to Jacek.
I got 23 lists. More power to everybody who participated, shame and disgrace to those who didn't. I will post the albums that ranked 101-200 tomorrow. As for the main top 100 list there are two options. I can either post the entire list in one go or make a countdown, as some people suggested I should, so let me know what you prefer.
you should do a "range" countdown (i.e. 91-100, 81-90, etc.) Thanks for the efforts, Jacek.
countdown is a good idea.
is a shame there was only 23 list but i respect everyones opinion in here and im sure this fun poll is going to have some great albums, good work jacek