Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Music Underwater top 100 albums since 1990 (i.e. 1990-2003)

Thanks Jacek!

Actually, Sonofsamiam, Pitchfork holds rap in high regard. Just take a look at their list of 100 best albums from 2000-2004 and you will see there are two rap albums in the top three and more more throughout the list. And when it comes to modern music indie rock is my genre of choice, so I like most of these webzine lists.

Right, right, I know both P-fork and Stylus like their rap. It's like this one namechecks all the indie favorites from the other 'zines, and then throws in some token rap albums in an attempt to be like them. It just comes off as hollow to me -- Fear of a Black Planet's[/i] placement is frankly embarrassing.

Hey, how did you make this smile in your post?

By accident! I used brackets rather than angle brackets when attempting to italicize.

That said -- what a bizarre smilie!

You know, the brilliant "janitor-x" would probably say that almost EVERY SINGLE ONE of the albums included in that list is a sixties rip-off which is deliberately disguised to show its lack of originality. [He does not see himself as able to judge rap because he does not listen to it, and he does appreciate SOME Somic Youth, but the ONLY album in that list "janitor-x" MIGHT approve of is the Jesus Lizard's "Goat".]

In his view, dreamy or soft (psychedelic) music is of no use to people born after the baby boom generation ended. He sees it as an energy draining experience that is likely to deprive younger generations of power to improve or change themselves. "janitor-x" believes that younger people have no interest in the sounds of the sixties or of the many college bands that resemble them who garner critical priase through adhering to a set formula. He believes that ordiary young people need angry, hard, fast music to realise they are capable of changing their world and fighting the problems that really affect society.

"janitor-x" has strong opinions on most social issues, but at heart he is nihilist in views and tends to believe nihilism is the essense of rock. He sees the present as being related to hardcore, metal and industrial bands about which people who follow the advice of professional music critics know nothing.

If you want to read some "classic" "janitor-x" reviews, go to "http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2AXIWOCL9XOMM/002-8915841-7600806?%5Fencoding=UTF8&display=public&page=11" and scroll back or forward.

I listened to the Marcy Playground album (like, even past Sex & Candy) and it's really quite good. Nowhere near some of the albums that it beat, however; such as Hail To The Thief. That should be wayyy up there, in front of other Radiohead albums like Amnesiac.

I'm also happy to see some Aphex Twin in there, he's absolutely brilliant in my opinion.

Marcy Playground's album is pretty good but not so good that I'd ever consider it for any sort of 'best of' list. Maybe 'best 50 albums of 1998', it'd make the lower reaches.

So-so list overall. But Weezer, #11?! Weezer is the epitamy of blandness. This list seems to be a lot of really good picks mixed in with a lot of really bland radio-rock. And White Stripes seem to be completely omitted. Also no Screamadelica or Exile in Guyville.

What's with this taking old topics back up?

I suspect they dislike Oasis a little bit,hehe

Um where is Definitely Maybe? Or (What's the Story) Morning Glory? This list is really a joke without these albums.

definitely maybe and what's the story morning glory (by oasis) are two of the best rock records of the last twenty years. the only reason they're not on this list is because of the common misconception of oasis in america.

BillAdama
Marcy Playground's album is pretty good but not so good that I'd ever consider it for any sort of 'best of' list. Maybe 'best 50 albums of 1998', it'd make the lower reaches.

I've heard friends give that one high praise but I still haven't carved out time to listen to it yet.

BillAdama
So-so list overall. But Weezer, #11?! Weezer is the epitamy of blandness. This list seems to be a lot of really good picks mixed in with a lot of really bland radio-rock. And White Stripes seem to be completely omitted. Also no Screamadelica or Exile in Guyville.

I'm missing EXILE as well. I'll disagree with you on Weezer. I consider BLUE to be their REAL classic..not the overrated PINKERTON even though I like some of it. It's a tuneful album with almost nothing I ever skip...which makes it a great one to me. There aren't many in that category.

I'm glad this list doesn't include Oasis. In my opinion, they're simply awful.

your right, Oasis realy aren't that good apart from a handfull of great songs.

I noticed a few of my personal favourites (which as far as I know were released in this time period) were ommited: Manic Street Preachers- The Holy Bible, The Libertines- Up The Bracket, Mercury Rev- Deserters Songs, the White Stripes in general

It a okay list

Contact us today to schedule a fleet service appointment that won’t interfere with your business operations.

local towing

I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. Fairexch9 sign up

Some of their picks are pretty good: Klaxons, Horrors, Shitdisco. Others are bad: Bloc Party and the Cribs. RPM Mobile Mechanic