The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Funk!

Lists from books are generally included. This book even got the ASCAP award for excellence in music journalism (see http://www.rickeyvincent.com/), so yes I will definitely include it.

Thanks!

Hooray! Some more funk in the lists. That's always a good thing.

I HIGHLY recommend that book, by the way.

He includes SGT. PEPPER on his 60s list?!?

Don't get me wrong, I love that album but I don't hear anything the slightest bit "funky" about it unless he's just broadly claiming that funk is about musical experimentation solely. And if that's his take on what "funk" is, then I'd disagree.

I do need to check out more funk, though, I'm definitely deficient.

Moonbeam,
Care to give me an "essential 10" to start with?

I do need to check out more funk, though, I'm definitely deficient.

Moonbeam,
Care to give me an "essential 10" to start with?

Since Moonbeam hasn't jumped in yet, here's a good starting 10...

* James Brown | Star Time (yes, the whole box set)
* Funkadelic | Maggot Brain
* Parliament | Mothership Connection
* Sly & The Family Stone | There's a Riot Goin' On (or Stand! if you like things more poppy)
* Prince | Sign 'o' The Times
* Curtis Mayfield | Superfly
* Stevie Wonder | Innervisions (probably a soul album really, but there's lots of funk interspersed)
* Gil Scott-Heron | Pieces of a Man
* The Meters | The Meters
* Various Artists | The Funk Box

sonofsamiam, you definitely nailed it!

Perfect list Sonofsamiam !

Sonofsamiam:

Currently digesting Star Time (and digging most of it)
Have already heard Maggot Brain and liked most of it (though the monologue on the 1st track is WAAAAAAAY bizarre!)
Mothership Connection- not so much but I'll try it again sometime
* Sly & The Family Stone- There's a Riot Goin' On (thought this was extremely overrated but I love STAND!)
Liked SUPERFLY, thought SIGN O' THE TIMES was OK but needed some trimming (I like very few double albums)
Still need to check out INNERVISIONS and the Scott-Heron but I've dug most of his stuff so far (borrowed a hits collection from the library)
I see the Meters mentioned a LOT so I guess I need to check them out...

Thanks for the recommendations...

Great list sonofsamiam! I tend to like my funk served up cold in synthesized glory, so I'll recommend some albums in that style.

Prince- 1999: THE funk behemoth!
Gap Band- IV: Their most solid album with a mixture of scorching synth-funk juggernauts, midtempo cool grooves and classic soul ballads.
Zapp & Roger- All the Greatest Hits: synth funk trailblazers!
Chromeo- Fancy Footwork: This one is from last year, and while its lyrics are silly, the curl of the funk is all there!
Mtume- Juicy Fruit: Silky, sexy funk with some quiet storm ballads as well.

Innervisions happens to be the record at the front of my collection at the moment, it's been there for a couple of weeks now.