Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where is the Aeroplane?

This list really demonstrates how much most professional critics failed to appreciate/notice Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the aeroplane over the sea" back in the day. Instead it has with time emerged as an all-time classic among people who care about music. For instance, on Rateyourmusic, it swings between places 20-35 on their all-time top list, while here it barely makes the top 1,000. Apparantly it is still too fresh to make its comeback through all-time top lists. But in due time it will have its revenge...

Re: Where is the Aeroplane?

Neutral Milk Hotel is a VERY unapreciated band.Course "Aeroplane" is a landmark in rock music catalogue but worlwide critics and listmakers will only note that in 20 or 30 years late.The same will happen with another "new" classics like Beta Band's "The Three EPs" and Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"

Well, I'd hardly call YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT underappreciated -- it's currently at #195, which I suppose is too low if you love it but not what I'd call an injustice (now, SEA CHANGE languishing at #449, _that's_ unfair). I wholeheartedly agree about IN THE AEROPLANE OVER THE SEA, however. To me, at the least -- at the very least -- it should be in the top 500; that it's as low as #915 (which is still higher than it has been at times) is positively mind-boggling. It's brilliant in every way, even if it was apparently so painful for Jeff Mangum to make that he hasn't done anything since.

Excellent thread. "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" IS the best album of the 1990's, closely followed by "69 Love Songs" by The Magnetic Fields.

Time WILL vindicate it. The fact that it is on Henrik's list is at least a start.

It has now climbed to 639, at least that's a start. But of course it belongs in the top 100. Can we at least hope for top 500 by year end?

I find it atrocious that TLC, cypress hill, cornershop, and soundgarden are all still ranked ahead of NHM in the all time 90's list.