Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is the highest ranked album that you do NOT own...

...and do you plan on adding it to your collection?

I just recently stumbled onto this site about a week ago, and discovered that the highest ranked album I don't own is #93 Saturday Night Fever Sdtk. I was pretty impressed with myself. I plan on purchasing it sometime in the future, as I'm sure it's a solid album. Also, the lowest ranked album I own is #2000 Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals, and I make no apologies for it...great album.

Re: What is the highest ranked album that you do NOT own...

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland.

This site is great, I have bought loads of new albums in the last month since I found it and all of them have been great. And because most of them are quite old I've got them for peanuts, too. :)

I only own two albums in the top 10 - PET SOUNDS and NEVERMIND. I have no plans to buy any of the others in the near future, with the possible exception of WHAT'S GOING ON (have been meaning to get it for years).

The only album I don't own in the top 10 is The Clash "London calling". I'm not going to purchase it.
Why ? I find 70's punk boring and the sound of these records is getting old.

I don't have Pet Sounds, nor do I plan to purchase it. My collection is woefully incomplete when viewed through the lens of this site.

The lowest ranked album I own is (hehe) Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel" at 1991. It actually isn't half bad, although it is singles-heavy.

Lowest ranked is meaningless because there are thousands of albums outside the top 2000.

The highest ranked is Exile on Main Street, which I don't intend to buy as I don't really "get" the Rolling Stones. The second highest is It Takes a Nation of Millions..., which is on my to-buy list but not with a very high priority.

Mistake: I also don't own Are You Experienced? and don't intend to buy it in the near future.

I don't own The Doors and don't plan to, as they were by and large awful. (Yes, I've heard the album.)

After discovering the site last year I made a point of getting the albums I was missing from the top 50, most of which were very good and a couple that weren't (Cpt. Beefheart & Massive Attack).

The highest ranked album I still don't own is Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On at #56, followed by Primal Scream at #68.

#4 Velvet Underground and Nico...but that's one I'll pick up at some point

#9 Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bollocks..." is the first one I don't have and don't want.

Out of the top 100, I either own or intend to one day own 91 of them.

number two: The Beatles - Revolver. I'll probably buy it if I win a lot of money.

The lowest ranked album I own is... 2992 Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear. Got the LP.

Yeah, if we're talking physically owning thing, I've got the same one as Rune.

If we get to include stuff on the comp, I make it to #108 w/ Blondie's Parallel Lines (even though I may have gotten that this week).

Same here, Revolver. First one I don't have on my computer is much farther down the list at #82: Psychocandy. I did listen to it, but I had to delete it. Only album in the top 100 I really think is no good at all.

The highest in the the poll I don't own is 'Appetite For Destruction'. When I discovered this site I bought 'There's A Riot Goin' On' and James Brown's 'Live At The Apollo'. Both are amazing.

I only borrowed the Guns'n'Roses one but had trouble separating it from the eightiesness and hair metal genre, or penetrating it at all. And that painting inside...must surely be ironic. I remember when I was at school and all the idiots in my class had the cassette. But it must be good as it's so high and has lasted this long. But I'm more into Dory Previn.

I know it was on 'Use Your Illusion' but 'November Rain's awful long. But it's a pretty song.

Love love love,
Andy, London

James Brown - Live At The Apollo

I'll probably buy it eventually. But not in the near future.

I have all but 5 in the top 100. The only one I have absolutely no intention of getting is Hotel California.

I enjoy most of the top 100. Some a lot more than others, of course. I despise the Sex Pistols and don't 'get' Pink Floyd or U2, but I at least like most of the stuff near the top.

Currently: #9 Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks - Here's the Sex Pistols. One of the most overrated albums in the top 100.

And out of the top 100 I own about 66% (in my computer of course ).

Do you guys really mean it when you say you own all those albums "on the computer"? These are pirated mp3s, right? I'm no pope myself, but I certainly don't think I own an album I've downloaded. To own it you need to buy it.

I burn a lot of DVDs with movies I've taped from television, but I don't count those movies to my DVD collection.

I didn't say I owned them, I just have them.

I disagree. You don't have that album. In that case, I have every album on this site, because they're on youtube and songza and last.fm. Just because it's available for you to listen to doesn't mean you have the album.

Alright, I have them *on my computer*.

Obviously I'd hate to instigate a point of contention, but I think it's fair to say someone's "got" an album, even if they don't "own" it, if they have it on their hard drive and have listened to it enough times to feel a sense of ownership. I would love to continue to hear both "the highest ranked album that you do not OWN" and the "highest ranked album you do not HAVE," as they might both be equal indicators of our preferences.

As for me, the vast majority of my record purchases over the past several years have revolved solely around the placing of albums on this site, so I "own" everything up to Anthony and the Johnson's "I Am A Bird Now" 170, and I "have" everything up until Moby Grape's s/t at 336. I do plan to purchase both of those eventually...

hi - new to this site- the highest ranked that I do not OWN is Slayer -Reign in Blood. There's about 20 in the top 1000 that I'm still looking for...
"Having" an album is meaningless - we all have radios as well.

The top 3 I don't own are:
Patti Smith - Horses
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Patti Smith,De La Soul and Aretha Franklin seem to be the only ones in the top 100 missing now...

Nevermind, then the Velvet Underground & Nico. I haven't heard either, but I would love to. I think it would be nice to have a lot of the higher-ranked albums on AM.

Here are my must buy list (titles marked with an asterisk [*] are ones I have already listened to):
1. Nirvana - Nevermind (#3)
2. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico (#4)
3. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (#8) [*]
4. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks... (#9)
5. The Clash - London Calling (#10)
6. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (#12)
7. Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (#13)
8. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust... (#16)
9. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (#17)
10. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions... (#18)
11. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland (#19) [*]
12. The Doors - The Doors (#21)
13. Patti Smith - Horses (#22)
14. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (#23)
15. Television - Marquee Moon (#25)
16. Prince - Sign 'O' the Times (#26)
17. The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (#29) [*]
18. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (#30) [*]
19. The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (#31)
20. Massive Attack - Blue Lines (#32)
21. The Who - Who's Next (#34)
22. Ramones - Ramones (#35)
23. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (#37) [*]
24. The Band - The Band (#38)
25. James Brown - Live at the Apollo (#39)

It kind of looks like I don't buy a lot of music, but I tend to start off with a 'greatest hits' or 'best of' album from an artist to get into them. That way, I can start off by owning most of the "big ones," and then dig a little deeper into what would be lesser known gems. For example, I do own greatest hits CDs from Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Nirvana, and The Who, (as well as Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones, who I have already started buying studio albums from)

There are a lot of albums on this site which I don’t own but HAVE owned, at some point. The highest-ranked one I’ve never owned is The Doors’ s/t, at #21. I cannot emphasize how much I intend never to own this album.

The next two are Blue Lines (#32) and Forever Changes (#50). I might pick one or both up one of these days, though I don't feel strongly about either one (I have heard them).

The lowest-ranked album I know I once owned is Liz Phair’s Whip-Smart (#2982), although I have a nagging and depressing feeling that my collection once included Urban Dance Squad (#2990).

The Doors are pretty awful at times but S/T is pretty solid for me. I own it because I found it for 50 cents at a record show- I probably wouldn't otherwise, but I still think it's an ok album. I don't think I'd be able to get through any of the rest of their albums though.

The first album on the list that I don't own is VU + Nico. I've meaning to pick up a mono vinyl copy of that was re-released a few years ago but I haven't gotten around to it.

First album that I've never owned a physical copy of is What's Going On. First album on the list that I don't have a copy of is Patti Smith- Horses.

And the lowest ranking album I own is #2996 Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star. I'd like to own the Arvo Part album though.

L.A. Woman is definitely the best album by the Doors

I own several unranked albums, of course, but I'm not sure what the lowest ranked album I own is.

The lowest ranked album I have on my computer is Tabula Rasa (2999).

Highest ranked for me is Bob Dylan's Blonde On Blonde, which I will never buy. As for music on computer - I don't even own a computer (I use a friend's computer to come here and post).
Several times over the years I have built up a large record collection and then got rid of it all before starting again. Most of my collection each time was albums which aren't in the top 2000. My current LP collection mainly focuses on late 60s/early 70s prog & underground music

For some reason I found the "lowest album you own" posts the most interesting, so here's the five lowest ranked albums I own.

1. (2992) Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear
2. (2844) They Might Be Giants - Flood
3. (2819) Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
4. (2784) Babes In Toyland - Fontanelle
5. (2737) Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere

Humm, the lowest one I own is also Black Star...and then The Coup's Party Music...and then Blackalicious Blazing Arrow. I guess I like lower ranked hip-hop albums.

the lowest ranked album I own is Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die and it is one of my top 10 !
The lowest ranked album which is eventually in my flat right now is Fatboy Slim - Better living through chemistry but it is my flatmate's.

I'm impressed by the size of your CD collections, I only own about 150 and have never met (physically I mean) anybody who owns more !

Really? I don't think of myself as one who owns a lot of cds, but I probably have at least 300 of them. Plus 50-60 LPs.

From looking at Rate Your Music, I know that some people on here are well into the thousands. I'm probably just hovering above 500 which is mostly vinyl.

I've got 1300+ CDs plus about 200 vinyl and 300 tapes (yes!), but most of them are not represented here on AM, and I'd say about 30% are singles.

The 5 lowest ranked albums I own are:

2986: Parliament- Motor Booty Affair
2982: Liz Phair- Whip Smart
2965: No Doubt- Rock Steady
2916: The Time- What Time Is It?
2887: Annie- Anniemal

Anniemal is among my top 20 albums, and I also really love What Time Is It? and Motor Booty Affair. The others I enjoy as well.

There's an album quite close to the bottom I'd really like, but it's criminally expensive. The Sound - Jeopardy. Everybody should check it out.