Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Immaculate Collection: Most Acclaimed Greatest Hits Ever?

In my opinion, collections can't be compared to albums with new music. If you only look at song material, collections are usually better than new albums. Most critics would agree with that although they not very often list collections among their favourite albums.

A comparison between TIC and True Blue is irrelevant. True Blue occurs in many end of year lists, TIC doesn't. Nevertheless TIC almost always gets higher ratings when Madonna's whole catalog is reviewed. Mixing this information gives a mess in my opinion.

Collections are also reviewed upon different criteria. Often the documentation of the artist and the songs is more important than the quality of the songs, since the song quality is a fact given on beforehand.

I Was Just Askin' How...

Immaculate would compare in acclaimed rankings *if* included, in your astute opinion- I know compilations won't be included in this site, Sir Henrik. :)

Compilations indeed are a different animal than regular studio efforts- but it is interesting when an industry outlet gives major props to a compilation- it shows just how impactful and good that particular act's music has been.

I'm very surprised that ABBA's Gold isn't part of the database...I am pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in a few lists i've come across and believe it to be on of the best selling greatest hits albums of all time?

Abba...

is another act whose Gold (or, The Definitive Collection in some cases) scores notable critical acclaim.

However, being a compilation, Gold- like Immaculate- wouldn't be in the database. Bob Marley's Legend is another notable compilation that has enjoyed its fair share of acclaim.

i'd say it's a good collectio.. maybe best selling greatest hits ever?? not sure...

My favorites are Depeche mode and 'On The Radio' - Donna Summer

There is no way I can fully accept a "Greatest Hits" compilation that doesn't strictly keep to the original 7 inch mixes.

It's OK...

it keeps on getting accepted by lots of people from year to year.

It remains the one album- 7-inch mixes or not- that I cannot do without.

I like The Immaculate Collection, but it does have a few flaws, in my opinion.

Still, it is essential if for "Justify My Love" alone.

Hmmm...

"Justify" is OK, but it's not anywhere nearthe top of my Madonna list of top tracks.

For me, having all those songs on TIC, one after the other, is a heckuva wallop in terms of impact. The versions don't lose the integrity of the 7-inch ones. The album is meant as a summation of its era, and gets the job done in a quicker, surveyish-like manner (hence the quick fade-outs of some of the tracks).

Madonna's usually thinking outside of the box- while most GH albums stick to exact hit/album recordings, she wanted to tweak things a little bit with this album- a way of staying "current," despite being a greatest hits compilation. For the most part, it works fine (my only beef being "Into The Groove" and the editing of the "Now-I-know-you're-mine" section).

I don't think the remix of "Like a Prayer" does that song justice on TIC.

I don't think any of the mixes does any kind of justice whatsoever.

Plus there is still nowhere to get the 7 inch version of "True Blue" on CD - Madonna's most radically different 7 inch edit.

I Enjoy...

the remix of "Like a Prayer"- is it better than the original? No, but that's what the LAP album is for. :) There's alos the fasater 7" mix on the 45 vinyl. I think the best version of "Express Yourself" is the 7" mix (used in the video- not the lenghtier video set to the dance mix).

Other than maybe LAP and EY, the casual fan will not pick up on the sound differences for most of the tracks. Some even think that version of LAP is the original. hehe

The Color Mix of True Blue is on the True Blue remaster (and also available on imports). Is that the mix you're talking about?

The colour mix on the "True Blue" remaster is the extended version, not the actual 7" mix.

I'm not a big Madonna fan, but for her own sake, I think she needs to get a restraining order against this JR character. He seems obsessed.

And for his part, JR should check himself into a mental health facility. No one should be this fanatical about a greatest hits CD. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Just thought I'd bring a little humor to this heated discussion.

I agree with the previous statement.

Ohhhhh....

Kay then.

Bitches, please!

Don't you know that Madonna is the second coming of Christ?

I'm only half joking... ;)

I respect JR's love of Madonna and often duplicate it myself.

Btw. speaking of "Greatest Hits" albums, Bob Marley's "Legend" is the one who usually performs best in those surveys. (Personally I don't find it flawless, as it contains nothing from his IMO two best albums, "Rastaman Vibration" and "Survival")

I'd put Madonna in front of Depinche Mode, New Order and the Cure any time. It's because of these Jason Bently synth pussies that all these idiotic 80 fads are coming back to haunt us.

The most 80s synth influenced album of 2005 was released by...... Madonna.....

She's a soloist. That doesn't count!!!!!!!!

I'm all for the 80s synth revival. That's my favorite kind of music.

Bingo. However, the old favourites from the 80s seem to have partly lost their songwriting touch, and Electroclash is too "cold" and depressive. So strangely, it seems the new electro pop albums from the likes of Madonna, Annie and Bertine Zetlitz (those who love Annie should definitely check out Bertine Zetlitz) are the ones I have liked best so far :)

Popjournalism in Canada...

hasa feature on Madonna's 5 best albums- and The Immaculate Collection is tops, ahead of Madonna, Likea Prayer, Ray of Light and Erotica (don't agree with the last choice, but whatever). This is the text (though I wouldn't agree with "Rescue Me" as a key track, amidst an album full of classics):
---------------------------------------------------

Probably one of the most perfect greatest hits albums ever made, The Immaculate Collection is all killer and no filler. Every track represents the best pop music of its time, from the bouncy "Holiday," to the controversy-baiting "Papa Don't Preach," all the way to the sleazy thrills of "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me." Even better is the fact that each track is presented in its original single form, remastered and remixed — the new mixes are very subtle, except for the thrillingly beat-heavy version of "Like a Prayer." Purists could quibble that the edits fade out too early, but if you want the longer, less vibrant originals, buy the albums. If you want the optimized essence of Madonna's best career chapter, this is where you turn.

Key Tracks: "Justify My Love," "Rescue Me," "Vogue," and "Like a Prayer"

Then, how about the original 7 inch edits? The ones that aren't available anywhere except on ancient 45s? Isn't it about time that they are being available as well?

No, those versions are NOT included on "The Immaculate Collection", not a single one of them. "The Immaculate Collection" is basically a collection of Shep Pettibone remixes of old Madonna hits.

But, Overall...

they're not really *remixes*- when I think of remixes, I think of drastically different-sounding versions, of which the versions on TIC are not (outside of Prayer and Express Yourself- they are dance mixex, but the integrity of the originals are not lost).

However, "True Blue" is not at all represented on the collection, in spite of it being a UK #1. The 7 inch mix was radically different, and is still not available on CD anywhere.

Also "Into The Groove" was radically different on "The Immaculate Collection", adding a piano solo that was originally on her dance collection among other things. Not to mention the addition of more synths on "Borderline" and the completely new snare drum sounds on "Holiday".

Regardless of whether they are complete remixes or not, the versions of some songs on TIC are not the ones people heard on the radio and loved. In my opinion, they are all worse than those versions, and it's sort of a disservice to buys to have those 'remixed' versions on there.

All I Know Is...

if moi, being the M admirer I am, can enjoy listening to TIC as much as I do, then I'm sure that most casual fans don't have a problem in the listening experience- and that is the point of a compilation, after all. Again, most aren't going to pick up on the subtle differences for some of the tracks (outside maybe Prayer and Express).

For me, it's a tight listen of the songs that were cultural definers of that era. Look at GHV2- it's the original-original versions of the tracks- some cut down in the editing process, of course- and as a compilation, it doesn't work as well as TIC, despite housing some very strong material.

For purists, having the songs the exact way they sounded when they were played on the radio IS important and will ALWAYS be important.

19 years have passed since the release of the 7 inch version of "True Blue", and other than an extended version as a bonus track on the "True Blue" album, the version (which was radically different from the album version also used on the video) has yet to appear on CD, 19 years on.

Btw, speaking of "Express Yourself", the single version was sort of a cross in-between the album version and the "Immaculate Collection" version. It had the "Come on girls! Do you believe in love!" intro, but then went into the dance oriented version found on "Immaculate Collection"

I guess what is needed is a 3 or 4 CD Madonna hits collection bringing ALL her hits, in their original 7 inch edit versions. This also includes hits such as "True Blue", "The Gambler", "Dress You Up", "Angel", "Dear Jessie", "Oh Father", "Keep It Together", "Causing a Commotion", "Who's That Girl", "The Look Of Love" and "Hanky Panky", none of which were available on "The Immaculate Collection".

You Said It...

purists. :)

I'm still not even sure I know which True Blue you're talking about- some putrist I am. ;)

RE Express Yourself single version- are you speaking of the 7" edit that appeared on the 45? That's my favorite version (and the one used in the video- the one that appears on the Immaculate home video).

BTW- did you notice that the Lucky Star video on the DVD is a different edit? Strange, since the origianl one was used on the VHS. Then, of course, the DVD has things wrong, such as a couple of years for the videos. LOL

Videos often use somewhat different versions from the "official" 7 inch ones.

And, yes, I am always speaking of the 45 versions, until the 45 disappeared, that is.

Was Saying...

that about Lucky Star because the "official" one had been used on the VHS, so I don't know why the alternate take was on the DVD- knowing WB, it was not intentional. :)