Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Report errors here - new thread for 11/10 update

that is great content you are taking time to sharing amazing content with us .Istikhara for marriage by name

The title of Yeasayer's album should be ALL HOUR CYMBALS (not SYMBALS).

I guess there is still the question of which Rolling Stone list to include for their list of best albums of the 80s. The one included seems to be the Australian version, although there was an American version as well, which surely had a big readership as well.

Of course, the fact that 1999 places #16 in the US list while it is nowhere to be found in the Aussie list illuminates my bias.

In any case, is there any reason why one version is included and not the other, and in particular, if only one version is to be included, why it is the Australian one?

when a man loves a woman is not appearing in any list. Every single list has erased it, it's supposed to be number 73 in the all time songs list; but it also dissapeared from the 1966 list and the 60's songs list. Guess should be corrected, thanks

santi29
when a man loves a woman is not appearing in any list. Every single list has erased it, it's supposed to be number 73 in the all time songs list; but it also dissapeared from the 1966 list and the 60's songs list. Guess should be corrected, thanks

In addition to this, there is no song number 1925, and I'm sure there are other songs missing. The link labeled "2801-3000" really starts on song 2806.

The Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request" listed as "Majesty's".
Def Leppard "High 'n' Dry" should have two apostrophes.

Missing accents or special characters:
Construção
Isolée
Ágætis Byrjun

Also, the new top albums spreadsheet contains some rankings from 2008 that are greater than 3000.

On a similar note with the above posts, song 201 appears at the bottom of the 1-200 page, which may solve part of the problem.

All these errors should be fixed now!

Moonbeam, I looked up the Rolling Stone '80s list issue, and I have included both the US and Australian versions in my calculations. The US version just didn't show up on the album pages. So I'm sorry but 1999 will not move up.

Henrik
All these errors should be fixed now!

Moonbeam, I looked up the Rolling Stone '80s list issue, and I have included both the US and Australian versions in my calculations. The US version just didn't show up on the album pages. So I'm sorry but 1999 will not move up.

Drat!

1999 has tumbled down from 129 in the past 6 years.

The page for David Bowie's "Starman" says that it appears on NPR's 300 most important American recordings. This is, of course, wrong.

The pages for New Order's "Movement" and Sinead O'Connor's "Lion and the Cobra" say they are both number 21 on NME's Top 20 debut albums. But if I understand correctly, NME listed them as BAD debut albums ("First Offenders").
If this is not the case, then Bob Dylan's and Rolling Stones' debuts should also have this list counted.

Merriweather Post Pavilion has only one "l"

z
The pages for New Order's "Movement" and Sinead O'Connor's "Lion and the Cobra" say they are both number 21 on NME's Top 20 debut albums. But if I understand correctly, NME listed them as BAD debut albums ("First Offenders").
If this is not the case, then Bob Dylan's and Rolling Stones' debuts should also have this list counted.
Oh, I guess I should only count the top 20 then...

Thanks for the new findings, z and JPM4, but I think I will not make these corrections until the next update. I hope this is OK.

Since Smog and Bill Callahan is the same person shouldn't their artist pages be combined?

I'm wondering if the case of "Alan Braxe & Fred Falke"'s entry "Running" should not be checked again. Actually, the single/EP "Running" is acclaimed as just one song, but it includes two : "Intro", which I think is the really acclaimed one, and "Most Wanted". As the current policy of AM is to include acclaimed songs rather than acclaimed singles, shouldn't this be changed?

Pierre
I'm wondering if the case of "Alan Braxe & Fred Falke"'s entry "Running" should not be checked again. Actually, the single/EP "Running" is acclaimed as just one song, but it includes two : "Intro", which I think is the really acclaimed one, and "Most Wanted". As the current policy of AM is to include acclaimed songs rather than acclaimed singles, shouldn't this be changed?
You are absolutely right!

Not an error, but a heads-up for the future - it's starting to look like Crystal Castles' second self-titled album is headed for the AM database, so the debut should probably be noted from here on out as Crystal Castles (I).

Shoudln't "Blues Breakers" #306 be listed under Clapton as well as John Mayall?

A question: why is Grinderman not grouped with Nick Cave? From what I understand, they are essentially the same band in all but name only. On that note, how do usually make this designation between bands who share many of the same members? Isn't New Order essentially Joy Division sans Ian Curtis?
Great work, by the way.

Looks like you forgot Mixmag's Top Albums of 2009. At first I thought this was because it was a specialized list only for electronic music. But then you do use Resident Advisor, and have used Mixmag in previous years. Anyway, here's Mixmag's 2009 list:

http://www.stholdings.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mixmagtop50albums.jpg

Accents errors or missing:

Air : Le Soleil est Près de Moi
Sébastien Tellier
Noir Désir : Veuillez rendre l'âme (à qui elle appartient)
Jean Michel Jarre : Oxygène
Bérurier Noir : Concerto Pour Détraqués

Thanks for the update.

I noticed that you put in Wire EOY lists as "No Order." This is actually incorrect. Wire does indeed rank their Top 50 Records from top to bottom, best to worst, although they don't write any numbers. Hence, they call the album on the very top their "Record of the Year" and the albums in the upper half are noticeably stronger than those in the second half.

Junior Senior D-D-Don't Stop the Beat is 2002 in rym and allmusic (but 2003 in wikipedia) while Move Your Feet is 2003 in rym (which is illogical since it was in D-D-Don't Stop the Beat) and 2002 in wikipedia.
Both are in 2003 in AM but I think they should be 2002.

I mostly need to know that for my 00s poll vote ^^

Nassim
Junior Senior D-D-Don't Stop the Beat is 2002 in rym and allmusic (but 2003 in wikipedia) while Move Your Feet is 2003 in rym (which is illogical since it was in D-D-Don't Stop the Beat) and 2002 in wikipedia.
Both are in 2003 in AM but I think they should be 2002.

I mostly need to know that for my 00s poll vote ^^
If it's 2002 at RYM then let's go with that. I will change it for the next update.

Cream's "Crossroads" was on their 1968 album "Wheels of Fire", there fore from 1968 not 1969.

Listyguy
Cream's "Crossroads" was on their 1968 album "Wheels of Fire", there fore from 1968 not 1969.

The single was released January 1969. I guess for the song list, the year of the single would be appropriate.

Sean Pak
Listyguy

The single was released January 1969. I guess for the song list, the year of the single would be appropriate.
No, I use the first release date, so I agree it's an error.

Fatboy Slim's Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars was #25 on Muzik's Top 50 Dance Albums of All Time, Missy Elliott's Da Real World was #44, and Rae & Christian's Northern Sulphuric Soul was #50.

All the songs lists (year, all time) are listed as "singles" in the name box above the list.

The page for The La's says that "There She Goes" was released in 1988. While this is true, this is a version that most people aren't familiar with, the famous version of the song was released in 1990.

Straight from Wikipedia.

The first version of the song was released by The La's in 1988, and again on January 2, 1989, but failed to chart. The track was remixed by Steve Lillywhite in 1990 for inclusion on their debut album The La's. This remixed version was issued as a single on October 22, 1990, and hit number 13 in the UK charts (and later hit number 49 in the U.S.). It was the biggest success The La's were ever to enjoy and remains the song for which the band is chiefly remembered.

Listyguy
All the songs lists (year, all time) are listed as "singles" in the name box above the list.
How come no one has ever seen this before???????????????

Nick
The page for The La's says that "There She Goes" was released in 1988. While this is true, this is a version that most people aren't familiar with, the famous version of the song was released in 1990.

Straight from Wikipedia.

The first version of the song was released by The La's in 1988, and again on January 2, 1989, but failed to chart. The track was remixed by Steve Lillywhite in 1990 for inclusion on their debut album The La's. This remixed version was issued as a single on October 22, 1990, and hit number 13 in the UK charts (and later hit number 49 in the U.S.). It was the biggest success The La's were ever to enjoy and remains the song for which the band is chiefly remembered.
There's definitely an inconsistency to whether the release date of the original or the more famous version of a song is included at AM. In the case of "There She Goes" I used to have it as 1990 but changed it after the discussion in this thread:
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=0&msgid=676779

While I certainly see your point, I don't know if I want to change it back again...

Gap Band's song "Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)" is from 1980, not 1981. It's on the album Gap Band III, which is from 1980.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_gap_band/the_gap_band_iii/

Henrik
How come no one has ever seen this before???????????????

How long has it been like that?

Apparently it's "Lifes Rich Pageant" (without the apostrophe).

I'm not sure which version you've included, but shouldn' tit be Born Slippy.NUXX. Or is that along the same line as the La's song?

Listyguy
I'm not sure which version you've included, but shouldn' tit be Born Slippy.NUXX. Or is that along the same line as the La's song?
It is the song, not any unique version.

Not really a song error, but the "Acclaimed Music In Outer Cyberspace" link doesn't work anymore. Here's the new one: http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Music/article/listing-the-lists/

The 2002 Wilco song is "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart", not "I'm Trying to Break Your Heart"

Pierre

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but this makes me think of the listing for Double Dee & Steinski. The entry for "The Payoff Mix/Lesson 2/Lesson 3 (Promo EP)" seems to imply that the EP is listed here, and not one of the three songs on the EP ("Lesson 1: The Payoff Mix," "Lesson 2: The James Brown Mix," and "Lesson 3: The History of Hip-Hop Mix"). Incidentally, the first two "lessons" were released in 1984, and the third was not released until 1985.

I've looked at the different critic lists that included this entry, and none of them can seem to come to a consensus as to what to call it. Any ideas?

arctic monkeys first album is now 5 rating on allmusic.com

hello,

arctic monkeys album "whatever people say..." is now 5 rating on allmusic.com

lagire
hello,

arctic monkeys album "whatever people say..." is now 5 rating on allmusic.com
Got it. Actually Allmusic has updated many of their ratings, which was discussed in another thread.

King Sunny Adé is nowhere to be found in the artists lists as far as I can see.

Salif Keita's Soro lists AudioEnz as one of the critics to pick the album, but when going to the AudioEnz website they actually mention Folon, his 1995 album, not Soro.

One last thing, you updated the top link for the poll history, but there's one on the bottom left on the main page as well that still links to the wrong one.

Stephan
King Sunny Adé is nowhere to be found in the artists lists as far as I can see.

He's under "A" for Ade.

Ah, I was ctrl+f'ing for Adé. In that case, it's just a spelling error.

There's a missing space after the comma in Bright Eyes' "Lifted or the Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground".

And to continue with nitpicking: Kraftwerk's 1975 album should be changed to "Radio-Aktivität" with a capital "A".

Fine Young Cannibals' "The Raw and the Cooked" is listed as an album from 1989, but it actually came out in 1988.

Discogs agrees.

The "5" Royales have two separate pages now, one under their correct name (listed under "#"), and another still as "The Five Royales" (listed under "F").

The Dust Brothers are not listed in the Artists Lists as far as I can tell.

The only song by The Dust Brothers is not by the American duo but by an early iteration of The Chemical Brothers of the same name and is therefore listed under The Chemical Brothers. I suppose you could argue there should be a link for The Dust Brothers linking to the page for The Chemical Brothers, but I think most people know Chemical Beats as a song by The Chemical Brothers.

Stephan
The only song by The Dust Brothers is not by the American duo but by an early iteration of The Chemical Brothers of the same name and is therefore listed under The Chemical Brothers. I suppose you could argue there should be a link for The Dust Brothers linking to the page for The Chemical Brothers, but I think most people know Chemical Beats as a song by The Chemical Brothers.

Thanks for the explanation. Please note that the performer is listed as The Dust Brothers in both the top 3000 listing and the excel spreadsheet as far as I can tell.

I was also unable to find an artist entry for Tubeway Army.

Yeah, this is the case for more than a few artists. They're listed under their own name but attributed to the future (or former) name of the artist so as to include it in the artist calculations.

Tubeway Army material can be found under Gary Numan, but this one is a lot more contentious. Why is Tubeway Army solely credited to Numan, while, for example, The Birthday Party is not credited to Nick Cave? Henrik has likely had to made a judgment call here.

Thanks so much for your patience with me as I point out these apparently inconsistent listings (probably not reasonably viewed as errors).

The latest act that I was unable to find in the Artist listing, but did find in the top 3000 Songs listing is Ciccone Youth.

Ciccone Youth = Sonic Youth

I think someone made a case a while ago for Tubeway Army to be merged with Gary Numan. I think Numan just continued under his own name with the same people behind him, but I'm not sure about this.

For song number 491, Aretha Franklin's "I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)", there should be parenthesis around "The Way I Love You"

Listyguy
For song number 491, Aretha Franklin's "I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)", there should be parenthesis around "The Way I Love You"

That's right. The song title has parentheses, but the album title does not. I always thought that was a little odd.

Why is the Anthrax feat. Chuck D version of Bring the Noise listed under Public Enemy?

Regarding Hank Williams, Jr...

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the song that he has "bubbling under." In 1981, Williams Jr. released "All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down)," off the album The Pressure Is On. In 1984, he released "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight," off the album Major Moves. This second song is instantly recognizable to American football fans as the theme song for Monday Night Football.

Currently, AM has "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight" (the second song) as "bubbling under," and the page for that song shows that it appears on two different lists: 365 Songs of the Century and The 100 Best Singles of the 80s. The former list clearly states that the #324 song "of the century" is "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over." No problem here. However, the second list states that the #87 "single of the 80s" is "All My Rowdy Friends." The song title does not specify which "rowdy" song is officially #87, but the list states that this particular "rowdy" song is from 1981, leading me to believe that it is referencing the "Settled Down" version. Just a heads-up.

Martha and the Vandella's "Heatwave" should be "(Love is Like A) Heat Wave" You forgot the parenthesis part and "Heat Wave" should be two words.

"Naked City" (with the album "Torture Garden") and "John Zorn" (with the album "Naked City") should be the same artist.

Quoting the Wikipedia articles for the two albums that are on Acclaimed Music:

Torture Garden is an album by John Zorn's band Naked City featuring Yamatsuka Eye on vocals. The album is a compilation of the "hardcore miniatures" that were also released on Naked City and Grand Guignol.

Naked City is an album released on Nonesuch Records in 1990[3] by John Zorn, featuring the band of the same name.

Sorry for sounding so picky but isn't it BANGLES instead of THE BANGLES....? Well, not a big deal...

Same with COMMODORES...

I'm new to this board, so I don't know if this has been brought up before. I have a database in which I've entered most of the Billboard Top 40 titles and artists from Whitburn. I am now cross-indexing the Acclaimed Top 3000 song list and I notice a number of inconsistencies in titles (spelling, parentheses, punctuation, etc) between the two sources. Also, when posting quizzes on Sporcle based on this site, I have had a number of corrections suggested by quiz takers. One of the more common issues is that two words in the English title are sometimes joined together (e.g. Hong Kong becomes Hongkong, Punk Rocker becomes Punkrocker), which I believe is a common practice in non-English languages.

Henrik, my question is: Do you want me to report these differences as I find them? Might be a good new thread. Or do you receive a lot of these already? Joel Whitburn lists his titles as found on the original single release in the USA; I take this as canon, myself, for US artists.

Double Fantasy

This is a pretty insignificant error but it's irritated me.
The John Lennon/Yoko Ono 'Double Fantasy' album was listed at number 7 on the 1980 Pazz and Jop Poll not at 37.

Re: Double Fantasy

Eunice
This is a pretty insignificant error but it's irritated me.
The John Lennon/Yoko Ono 'Double Fantasy' album was listed at number 7 on the 1980 Pazz and Jop Poll not at 37.

Robert Christgau had DF listed at #7 on his own personal "Dean's List" for 1980. It WAS #37 on the full critics' poll, the only one included here.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/pnj/deans80.php

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/pnj/pjres80.php

Animal Collective

You've added an extra "L" in "Merriweather Post Pavillion" "Pavilion" should only have one "L".

Re: Animal Collective

Isn't it MASTER BLASTER in two words for Stevie Wonder's song.....?

Bob Dylan's Mississippi

I've noticed that Bob Dylan's 2001 song 'Mississippi' is not as acclaimed on this site as it should be. It has since been added to RS 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time List as well as ranking highly on RS 100 best songs of the 00s. Both rankings are omitted on this list. I'm just saying, that's all...

The Additions To the RS List...

have not been added to the site yet. Same for 2000s songs lists.

"To Hell With Poverty!" by Gang of Four was first released in 1982 on the Another Day/Another Dollar EP, not 1981.

Kevin
"To Hell With Poverty!" by Gang of Four was first released in 1982 on the Another Day/Another Dollar EP, not 1981.

Also, the song title should have an exclamation point.

From the Wikipedia article on the "Birth of the Cool" album-

"Originally released as singles, eight of the tracks were compiled in 1953 on a 10" vinyl album in Capitol's Classics in Jazz series, and Birth of the Cool was released in 1957 as a 12" LP that added the remaining three unreleased instrumental pieces ("Move", "Budo" and "Boplicity")."

Doesn't this mean that the album listed on the AM website should be changed to, at least a release date of 1953 if you're counting the Classics in Jazz release as the same entity as the Birth of the Cool release? This might sound like nitpicking, but I'm genuinely curious.

For reference, here is the book cited in the Wikipedia article-
http://books.google.com/books?id=Jk5fPOyRIXEC&pg=PA9&dq=#v=onepage&q&f=false

A Possible New List

I'm not sure if this list can be used but here I offer it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/arts/music/15arts-VATICANSTOP1_BRF.html

Credits...

As I'm going through the 1,001 Songs/10,001 to Download book, there are some credit notes I'm making. But one that really struck me- and I don't know if it's been discussed here or not- is "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It). Despite a U.S. credit as "Grandmaster & Melle Mel" and some international pressings crediting him, Grandmaster Flex had no participation in the track. Should it be credited under Grandmaster Flash?

Re: Credits...

JR
As I'm going through the 1,001 Songs/10,001 to Download book, there are some credit notes I'm making. But one that really struck me- and I don't know if it's been discussed here or not- is "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It). Despite a U.S. credit as "Grandmaster & Melle Mel" and some international pressings crediting him, Grandmaster Flex had no participation in the track. Should it be credited under Grandmaster Flash?
This has been mentioned before, although not in an error thread. In fact, Grandmaster Flash does not appear on "The Message" either, so I definitely should do something about the crediting at AM.

Have we ever had the discussion here on whether King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown is a compilation or not? I can't find it anywhere in the forums, but at least on RYM they seem to have decided it is a compilation using this as a source; more specifically the sentence: "All of the tracks are drawn from Augustus Pablo's group of labels - Yard Music - International - Rockers and Hot Stuff. (The Message label was to come later)." Here's the discussion.

Credits...

Henrik, just giving an early heads-up RE the 1,001/10,001 Songs. In column E, I'm making credit or title comments (not on minor things like "and" or "&"), and adding "featuring" credits that do not appear in the spreadsheet, preceded by a semi-colon following the "X" or "X+." In a lot of cases, it's acts who may not have a presence on AM on their own, so you wouldn't have to be concerned too much with those. For example, "Let Me Blow Ya Mind" did not have Gwen Stefani's name in the spreadsheet, so I added it (even though she already is credited for the track at AM).

But, occasionally, we have something like "Justified and Ancient." Tammy Wynette's name was not credited to the song in the spreadsheet, and also not at AM. It is a "featuring Tammy Wynette' credit. So, the track should be listed under her, in addition to KLF.

Just a heads-up, so you're aware of things like that for later on. :)

For 2 songs I have year corrections, found after comparing with RYM:

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train should be 1992 instead of 1993.

The Jayhawks - Blue should be 1993 instead of 1995.

Also, on RYM they've decided Blue Train is 1958 rather than 1957.

Lists Links...

Not sure if this was mentioned- but the link for the Bruce Pollock books takes you to the New York Times Jazz book link.

McCoy Tyner's album "Enlightenment" is listed as being from 1974, but Wikipedia and Discogs say it came out in 1973.

Faust's album "IV" is also listed as being from 1974, but actually came out in 1973.

In regards to the latest update:

1. The link for Grammys 2009 songs (for instance, on Black Eyed Peas' I Gotta Feeling" and Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" pages) is the one for the Pitchfork 2000s albums list.

2. The Porcys 2000-2004 singles list takes you to the Forums index, rather than the thread for the list.

3. It looks like The Guardian 1000 link appears in place of the ranked 75 Best Singles of the 2000s link for all pertinent tracks.

Henrik, I sent an e-mail in regards to a couple other things, that you can check out at your convenience.

as always.

-In the artist lists, 2Pac is from California not New York
-There is a typo, 1993 Wu-Tang Clan it should be Cash rules everything around me not Crash...

1993 Wu-Tang Clan it should be Cash rules everything around me not Crash...

Thanks JR and Chris.

Arcade Fire's Bubblin album is mispelt (you added a "u" in "Neighborhood".
Also, the work (Laika) should be in parenthesis.

Thanks for the update and all the great work ! I'm saying it here because the dedicated topic seems to have gone off the tracks for a while now.

And to stay in line with that topic, I point out that "Claude Francois" should be written "Claude François", actually. :)

Not many major errors have been found in the last update, making me happy.

I hope I didn't say too much now...

Regarding the spreadsheet, I think that, despite being included in the recent NME list with the 150 songs in its lifetime, "The Hindu Times" is not included.

Anyway, keep it up well Henrik

Fleet Foxes' "White Winter Hymnal" is incorrectly listed as "Winter White Hymnal."

The Microphones and Mount Eerie are the same person (Phil Elvrum) using different monikers. So they should have a combined entry, right?

Henrik,

Thanks for the update! I was updating my AM playlists when I noticed that Sam Cooke's "Shake" was listed in 1965. It was released as the A-side of "A Change is Gonna Come" at the very end of 1964. As such, both songs should be listed in 1964.

Also, and I apologize if this has been discussed before, but wasn't "For What It's Worth" released in January 1967? I know Buffalo Springfield's debut album came out in late 1966, but the original pressings did not include "For What It's Worth," which was added only after the song became a hit.

Discogs lists it as being released in 1966. December 23rd, according to RYM.

The Kanye West song "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" is incorrectly listed as "Diamond from Sierra Leone". Also, the song that the critics list are referring to is most likely the remix version of "Diamonds from Sierra Leone", as that version was a single, while the non-remix was a hidden track at the end of "Late Registration". So the song should probably be renamed as "Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix)".

Thanks for the link, Stephan. I was unsure about Buffalo Springfield. Discogs also notes that Cooke's "Shake" came out in December 1964.

The band's name is Dyke and The Blazers, not The Dyke and Blazers.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is referenced as #497 in the "500 Greatest Songs Of All Time" list by Rolling Stone-however, it's 499.

"What It's Like" by Everlast should be listed under 1998, not 1999, according to Wikipedia and Discogs.

"Don't Speak" by No Doubt should be in 1995, not 1996. It was released as a single in 1996, but it was on Tragic Kingdom, which was released in 1995.

1 2 3 4