The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The 2011 Year-End Songs Poll - Results

I was going to proclaim that all of my top 5 songs were still in the running after your last post... now I can't do it.

I know people say that nothing stands out on the 9 Types of Light, but I have to disagree. It's similar to Dear Science, but the top tracks are the standouts of their career, really mixing the genres of R+B, funk and post-punk together nicely.

89 | Fleet Foxes | The Shrine/An Argument
Score: 32.7 points (6 votes)

88 | The Horrors | Still Life
Score: 33.9 points (7 votes)

87 | The Go! Team | Buy Nothing Day
Score: 34 points (6 votes)

Well this was a really nice section!

30 | Battles | Ice Cream

Score: 80.1 points (9 votes)

Biggest Fans: Charlie Driggs (#6); Michel (#6)

Critics' Rank: #25

YouTube Link

_______________________________________________________________________________________

29 | Wild Flag | Romance

Score: 81 points (9 votes)

Biggest Fan: Vanillafire1000 (#5)

Critics' Rank: #79

YouTube Link

_______________________________________________________________________________________

28 | Gotye feat. Kimbra | Somebody That I Used to Know

Score: 81.6 points (6 votes)

Biggest Fan: Henrik (#2)

Critics' Rank: #238

YouTube Link

27 | Bon Iver | Perth

Score: 82 points (7 votes)

Biggest Fan: Honorio (#5)

Critics' Rank: #107

YouTube Link

26 | tUnE-yArDs | Bizness

Score: 83 points (11 votes)

Biggest Fan: Stephan (#3)

Critics' Rank: #10

YouTube Link

25 | Azealia Banks | 212

Score: 83.8 points (8 votes)

Biggest Fans: Jonah (#4); Nassim (#5); sonofsamiam (#5)

Critics' Rank: #24

YouTube Link

24 | Tom Waits | Bad As Me

Score: 84.1 points (11 votes)

Biggest Fan: Jackson (#7)

Critics' Rank: #205

YouTube Link

23 | The National | Exile Vilify

Score: 87.3 points (8 votes)

Biggest Fans: Gillingham(#1); antonius (#3); Stephan (#5)

Critics' Rank: #306

YouTube Link

22 | Radiohead | Lotus Flower

Score: 93.1 points (12 votes)

Biggest Fan: Depeche Mode (#2)

Critics' Rank: #9

YouTube Link

21 | Tom Waits | Chicago

Score: 94.3 points (9 votes)

Biggest Fan: BillAdama (#4)

Critics' Rank: #377

YouTube Link

See you tomorrow for the top 20. Here’s a reminder of the countdown schedule (forum time / GMT):

#20-#11 – 09:30 tomorrow (8 Feb)
#10-#6 – 14:00 tomorrow (8 Feb)
#5-#1 – 17:30 tomorrow (8 Feb )

Henrik
My favorite discovery was The Weeknd's "The Zone", nominated by Alex D and Greg. I miss you guys.

cool, that makes sense, it's definitely got a trip-hop thing goin on. the drum track sounds like it could be a sample from maxinquaye.

20 | Ry Cooder | No Banker Left Behind

Score: 94.9 points (7 votes)

Biggest Fans: BillAdama (#2); nicolas (#4)

Critics' Rank: Unranked

YouTube Link

19 | Gang Gang Dance | Glass Jar

Score: 98.4 points (8 votes)

Biggest Fans: sonofsamiam (#1); Charlie Driggs (#5)

Critics' Rank: #40

YouTube Link

18 | Girls | Honey Bunny

Score: 98.9 points (9 votes)

Biggest Fans: Rocky Raccoon (#4); Brad (#5)

Critics' Rank: #99

YouTube Link

17 | Destroyer | Kaputt

Score: 105.9 points (9 votes)

Biggest Fans: Honorio (#1)

Critics' Rank: #20

YouTube Link

16 | The Roots feat. Bilal & P.O.R.N. | The OtherSide

Score: 108.4 points (12 votes)

Biggest Fans: Michel (#5)

Critics' Rank: Unranked

YouTube Link

15 | Radiohead | Codex

Score: 110.2 points (12 votes)

Biggest Fans: antonius (#2); Gillingham (#3); Honorio (#4)

Critics' Rank: #462

YouTube Link

14 | Fleet Foxes | Helplessness Blues

Score: 110.3 points (12 votes)

Biggest Fans: Honorio (#2)

Critics' Rank: #15

YouTube Link

13 | Wilco | Art of Almost

Score: 113.8 points (13 votes)

Biggest Fans: Depeche Mode (#3)

Critics' Rank: #101

YouTube Link

12 | Bon Iver | Holocene

Score: 115.9 points (11 votes)

Biggest Fans: John (#1); Stephan (#4)

Critics' Rank: #6

YouTube Link

11 | Tyler, The Creator | Yonkers

Score: 123.5 points (8 votes)

Biggest Fans: Nick (#1); Vanillafire1000 (#2); Nassim (#3); BillAdama (#4)

Critics' Rank: #4

YouTube Link

Great to see the Otherside that high, it suffered on the critic list from being released in December and not being a single.

I would have bet that Helplessness Blues, Holocene and Yonkers would make it to the top 10.

Fleet Foxes suffered a great spreading effect
Once again, DanM, thanks for the great presentation !
I have no clue about which songs are left, but I'm happy that Ry Cooder made the top 20 in albums and songs. It's a great performance for a country rock artist.

I would have thought Holocene and Yonkers were locks for the top 10. I really don't know what's going to make it outside of a few songs (though it looks like my number one has a few other fans). I would guess Midnight City for the top spot, but something tells me that will be a surprise too.

10 | Lykke Li | I Follow Rivers

Score: 126.2 points (10 votes)

Biggest Fans: Dan M (#1); Henrik (#3)

Critics' Rank: #21

YouTube Link

9 | James Blake | The Wilhelm Scream

Score: 135.5 points (14 votes)

Biggest Fans: antonius (#4); Charlie Driggs (#4); Dan M (#5)

Critics' Rank: #5

YouTube Link

8 | Adele | Rolling in the Deep

Score: 142.3 points (13 votes)

Biggest Fans: Henrik (#1); Rocky Raccoon (#1); Nick (#3); Zorg (#4)

Critics' Rank: #3

YouTube Link

7 | TV on the Radio | Second Song

Score: 147.1 points (12 votes)

Biggest Fans: Stephan (#1); Rocky Raccoon (#3); Jackson (#4); John (#5)

Critics' Rank: #314

YouTube Link

6 | M83 | Midnight City

Score: 149.7 points (14 votes)

Biggest Fans: Slick (#1); Jackson (#2); Nick (#5)

Critics' Rank: #1

YouTube Link

Wow.....I, like many other forum members, would have thought that "Holocene" and "Yonkers" were definitely going to make top ten. And after they didn't I was sure that "Rolling in the Deep" and "Midnight City" would make top five. Now I really have no clue who's going to win. "Vomit"? "Video Games"? Who knows?

I can assume what are the top five songs but I have no idea what song will be the number one

5 | Girls | Vomit

Score: 167.8 points (12 votes)

Biggest Fans: Brad (#1); Depeche Mode (#1); Charlie Driggs (#2); Zorg (#2); Jonah (#5); Rocky Raccoon (#5)

Critics' Rank: #22

YouTube Link

4 | PJ Harvey | The Words That Maketh Murder

Score: 178 points (16 votes)

Biggest Fans: Jackson (#1); Brad (#2); sonofsamiam (#3)

Critics' Rank: #32

YouTube Link

3 | Lana Del Rey | Video Games

Score: 183.4 points (14 votes)

Biggest Fans: antonius (#1); Michel (#1); Romain (#1); Nick (#2)

Critics' Rank: #2

YouTube Link

2 | PJ Harvey | The Glorious Land

Score: 199.1 points (13 votes)

Biggest Fans: Charlie Driggs (#1); BillAdama (#3); Brad (#3); Honorio (#3); Michel (#3); Henrik (#4)

Critics' Rank: #1113

YouTube Link

1 | The Black Keys | Lonely Boy

Score: 249.8 points (17 votes)

Biggest Fans: beefsupreme (#2); Dan M (#2); John (#2); Otisredding (#2); Rocky Raccoon (#2); Romain (#2); Zorg (#3)

Critics' Rank: #23

Yeah !!
What a pleasant surprise !

I didn't even hear Lonely Boy until after the year was over. I have to think that this might be the first time that a song or album finished #1 in one of our polls without anybody actually voting it #1. I was thinking about giving it #1 over Holocene but it ended up #2. Fantastic song though.

Great show again, Dan! Thank you!!

Our polls get more and more surprising. But what I really don't get is how the critics could leave out so many of these songs from their lists. Some of the songs are album tracks but only a few of the critics lists are songs-only nowadays so that shouldn't be much of a hindrance actually. And what about "The Glorious Land"? Number 2 in our poll, number 4 at RYM and the critics put it at 1113...

The critics need to get into shape or the continuation of AM is in danger!!!

John
I didn't even hear Lonely Boy until after the year was over. I have to think that this might be the first time that a song or album finished #1 in one of our polls without anybody actually voting it #1. I was thinking about giving it #1 over Holocene but it ended up #2. Fantastic song though.

I was also very close to making it my #1. The song which most voters liked a lot finished on top, instead of the song with most #1 votes. It was a clear winner though. One more voter could have moved any of the songs up or down the list except for Lonely Boy.

I'll post the individual lists tomorrow. I'm going out with some mates now to celebrate The Black Keys' deserved victory (and to celebrate a rather unpredictable poll).

What is the 8 songs who don't make the 100 ?
Thanks.

Nice work as usual, Dan. Nice to see a kick-ass rock song win.

I think a lot of people would agree that this is the most unpredictable list we've had in a while. Seeing two of my top three songs ("Second Song" and "The Words That Maketh Murder") reach the top 10 when they were more-or-less ignored by critics is really encouraging.

Lonely Boy caught me completely off guard as the winner. If I had to guess before the poll, I would have thought it would have finished around 20. But I'm not at all disappointed to see it win.

Awesome presentation, Dan. Very very elegant, with all the pictures exactly the same size. And an excellent selection of pictures!
And great list, much better than the critic's one! Glad to see "The Glorious Land" in its deserved placement. It was my favourite song from the album since I heard the drum sample that opens the song (taken from The Police's "The Bed's Too Big Without You"). Congratulations everyone...

Great presentation!! What a lot of #2 votes!!

Very neat presentation (like Honorio said, the pictures are done beautifully, but also the layout in general) and (mostly) nice surprises. Thanks Dan.

1) Many thanks to Dan M for his work and its timeliness: he has complied with the timing that was committed

2) The best of these results is that they are unpredictable. In other polls, when we reached the top five, and there is no uncertainty.

3) Lonely Boy goes up and up and up to each listener. The video fills you with joy

4) My only disappointment. The song Marvin's Room (Drake) is my number one but it was only number 86 in the survey. = The forum does not appreciate too the black music: sophisticated, elegant, exciting, "heart and soul."

Romain
What is the 8 songs who don't make the 100 ?

Björk | Thunderbolt
Drake | Headlines
June Tabor & Oysterband | Love Will Tear Us Apart
Kouyaté - Neerman | Requiem pour un con
Nicki Minaj | Super Bass
Ry Cooder | Dirty Chateau
Tante Hortense & Revista do Samba | Le bel amant du Berry
The Weeknd | The Morning

Honorio
the drum sample that opens the song (taken from The Police's "The Bed's Too Big Without You")
I didn't know the drums were sampled. The guitars are what make the song so great though IMO. I've never heard anything so simultaneously intense and subtle.