The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The 2011 Year-End Songs Poll - Final Stage

So by the deadline being Feb 5th, does that mean I need to make my list in the next couple hours, or do I have a little more time today? I'm actually living in Taipei now, so it already is the 5th for me.

Vanillafire1000
So by the deadline being Feb 5th, does that mean I need to make my list in the next couple hours, or do I have a little more time today? I'm actually living in Taipei now, so it already is the 5th for me.

No, don't worry, I'll only close the poll when I wake up on the 6th here in Scotland (so you have another 40 hours or so).

I've received 14 lists so far and I'm hoping for a few more.

My one is on its way.

List sent. My biggest discovery was .

List sent too, I was worry I would not reach 30 songs at first, because the first discovery I made were very disappointing, but then it started being pretty great songs only... eliminating the last 5 have been pretty tough. (I did not listen to them in any rational order, so I suppose that won't give any hint ^^ )

I just sent my list.

I like this poll, but I only like 3 of these songs enough to listen to them apart from when Im listening to the album they are on. (Lonely Boy, Art of Almost, Gucci Gucci.) Music is definitely not going in my direction these days.

List submitted earlier today. Didn't really discover too much from the second stage like I did last year. The Girls' Vomit was probably my favorite thing I hadn't previously paid attention to. Also Fucked Up's Queen of Hearts got my second-highest point total after ranking outside of the top 10 in my stage 1 poll. I've begun to realize over the past couple of weeks that that song, as well as all of David Comes to Life, is really special.

Damn, didn't have much time to listen to new songs. Here's a quick top 15, my apologies for being late, if you don't want to count it that's fine because it's basically what I had already heard anyway.

1. TV on the Radio | Second Song
2. Wild Beasts | Lion's Share
3. tUnE-yArDs | Bizness
4. Bon Iver | Holocene
5. The National | Exile Vilify
6. The Antlers | I Don't Want Love
7. Tom Waits | Hell Broke Luce
8. June Tabor & Oysterband | Love Will Tear Us Apart
9. Gotye feat. Kimbra | Somebody That I Used to Know
10. Fleet Foxes | Lorelai
11. Lykke Li | I Follow Rivers
12. Ry Cooder | El Corrido de Jesse James
13. James Blake | The Wilhelm Scream
14. The Black Keys | Lonely Boy
15. Tom Waits | Bad As Me

those 108 songs are like melons : you have to eat 10 of them to find a good one

Stephan, I will include your list. But as 300 points are distributed among the songs on a top 30, and 200 points among the songs on a top 20, I hope you don't mind if I only distribute 150 points among your top 15 (with your #1 getting 15 points).

I've received 23 lists (from antonius, beefsupreme, Brad, Charlie Driggs, Depeche Mode, Gillingham, Henrik, Honorio, Jackson, John, Jonah, Michel, Nassim, Nick, nicolas, Otisredding, Rocky Raccoon, Romain, Slick, sonofsamiam, Stephan, Vanillafire1000, Zorg).

I will tally up the scores and work on the presentation this evening. The results countdown will start tomorrow at 9.30am forum time.

Jackson
List submitted earlier today. Didn't really discover too much from the second stage like I did last year. The Girls' Vomit was probably my favorite thing I hadn't previously paid attention to. Also Fucked Up's Queen of Hearts got my second-highest point total after ranking outside of the top 10 in my stage 1 poll. I've begun to realize over the past couple of weeks that that song, as well as all of David Comes to Life, is really special.

I spent all of today just listening to the last song on that album (and nothing else, except one play of Hot Rats), and it's a belter. It's so magnificently...epic!

nicolas

So true.

It looks like I have another long evening of entering lists and links into a spreadsheet ahead of me My feelings about songs on a list are starting to resemble Samuel L. Jackson's feelings about snakes on a plane. Just kidding

Thanks to everyone who emailed me back about questions I had. antonius, if you read this before you see the email I sent you: you have two #11's on your list (Nicolas Jaar's Space Is Only Noise and Radiohead's The Daily Mail). Is one of the two songs not supposed to be on your list? Or should I make them your #11 and #12 and take Arctic Monkeys (your #30) off your list?

Edit: thanks antonius, I just got your email.

nicolas

You are fast becoming the bitter old man of AM, even surpassing Moonbeam for negative posts.

Get these songs of his lawn! I think this year was dominated by slow and moody songs. The thing is, that's usually the style I enjoy but when there's so many of them, the ones that aren't quite as good as the best (which is obviously subjective) just blend together.

^ Provocative, yes. But not a bitter old man. His sense of humour is far too good for that. We need people on here to challenge consensus lists and opinions, otherwise it would be a boring forum.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I borrowed that joke from French world/rap group Fabulous Trobadors (but they were talking about verses not songs).
I'm just expressing my feelings; Negative ? What I would like the less would be a politically correct and serious forum, that's why I always loved moonbeam not to mention nj (even when he/she crossed the line).
And frankly didn't you feel the same Rocky ? It means we all have different tastes, and that's good. as a philosopher once said "a society without conflicts wouldn't be a society of friends but a society of ants".
And I'm sure many tasted my "Corrido de Jesse James" melon and found it bitter.
And my family name is Lejeune, so I can't be old.

I don't have time to listen to all of these and I feel bad voting when I haven't heard them all. So I'll just give 30 to my absolute faves then 3 to each of the other songs I liked a lot.

30 points to:
Gang Gang Dance - Mindkilla
Ry Cooder - No Banker Left Behind
PJ Harvey - The Glorious Land
Tom Waits - Chicago
Tyler, The Creator - Yonkers

3 points to:
Adele - Rolling In The Deep
Cascadeur - Walker
M83 - Midnight City
Ry Cooder - Dirty Chateau
Ry Cooder - El Corridor de Jesse James
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise That You Can See
Wilco - Art Of Almost
EMA - California
Gang Gang Dance - Glass Jar
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Tom Waits - Hell Broke Luce
Tom Waits - New Years Eve
Tom Waits - Satisfied
St Vincent - Cruel
Gillian Welch - Dark Turn Of My Mind
James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
PJ Harvey - The Last Living Rose
PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder
PJ Harvey - Written on the Forehead
Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin
TV On The Radio - Second Song
Radiohead - Codex
Radiohead - Little by Little
Radiohead - Lotus Flower

This way my only significant impact on the list should be to help my absolute faves.

And as ebery joke it was exaggerated : I really liked 33 % of the songs

Thanks for your list, BillAdama. But your total amount of points only adds up to 225. Would you like me to give 6 points each to the 25 songs outside your top 5? That will take the points total to the required 300.

Also, would you mind ranking your top 5? (I've also asked that from those who emailed me their lists when I wasn't sure about the order of their top 5. It's just to make the presentation a bit easier and more sensible.) Thanks!

PS: Unless someone wants to submit another list within the next couple of hours (preferably by email) this poll has now closed.

nicolas
And as ebery joke it was exaggerated : I really liked 33 % of the songs
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

nicolas

I agree with you Nicolas....not because this year is weak but because this list is weak. A huge bag of excellent songs ended up in trash.
It's like the EOY top album or top songs. The real good songs of the year (for me) are not the chosen one.

Dan M
Thanks for your list, BillAdama. But your total amount of points only adds up to 225. Would you like me to give 6 points each to the 25 songs outside your top 5? That will take the points total to the required 300.

BillAdama, I'm starting the results countdown at 9.30am forum time, so I've gone ahead and given the 25 songs outside your top 5 six points each so I could finish my calculations/presentation.

See you guys in the morning.

No, Dan, I specifically gave those the minimum number of points possible because I don't want to be unfair to the songs I haven't heard.

If I could I would have just given those 5 30 points and not touched anything else.

^ You are messing with me a little, mister. First you submit your list late and not by email, as requested. And then you are also the only one who doesn't stick to the rule of distributing 300 points among 30 songs or 200 points among 20 songs. But I don't want to drag this out any longer, so I'll change your scores back to the way you originally posted it, change my presentation accordingly and hopefully start with the countdown soon.

Sorry to interfere, BillAdama and Dan, but how about this:

25p to the top 5 and 3p to the other 25
25*5+25*3=200

That's an alternative 200 points ballot, a more modest approach which is what BillAdama was going after I think.

Henrik
Sorry to interfere, BillAdama and Dan, but how about this:

25p to the top 5 and 3p to the other 25
25*5+25*3=200

That's an alternative 200 points ballot, a more modest approach which is what BillAdama was going after I think.

That seems reasonable to me, but I'll wait to hear what BillAdama thinks as this will have an effect on the overall results.

I don't think you need to wait, Dan. He is probably asleep and I don't think anyone (including Bill) would like to postpone the results because of this.

You can always blame me if someone objects.

Henrik
I don't think you need to wait, Dan. He is probably asleep and I don't think anyone (including Bill) would like to postpone the results because of this.

You can always blame me if someone objects.

OK then. I'll start the countdown in a few minutes.

Sounds good. Sorry I didn't submit them by email, I pissed that line in the original post.