Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Northern Europe (Part 2)

Bracket 4.1.5
Pekka Streng & Tasavallan Presidentti - Sisältäni portin löysin

Pekka Streng has probably affect half of my Finnish favorites more than any other (Finnish) artist at least vicariously.
The song is also very beautiful and timeless. Mari Boine is also good but Streng will be one of my biggest favorites in the game.

Bracket 4.1.6
Tenhi - Kuoppa
To be honest I listened to this song first time when Mindrocker voted for it in 00s poll (and I'm from Finland if someone didn't know that). So these songs in the game are definitely not from the best selling artists of their countries which is very good. Honorio said it already. doom metal + folk = Dark folk. Sounds like my thing in theory and also in practise. (and again the competing song is very good too).

Bracket 4.1.7
Clas-Göran Hederström - Det börjar verka kärlek, banne mej
Jakob Hellman - Vara vänner
I wait if there's need to make difference between these songs. I'm not going to listen to these again now.

Bracket 4.1.8
Bob Hund - Düsseldorf

Two amazing tracks (I don't even know if this bracket is better than the one with Pekka Streng). I vote for Bob Hund but if Ólöf Arnalds qualifies I'll probably vote for it in forthcoming rounds.

Bracket 4.1.5
Pekka Streng & Tasavallan Presidentti - Sisältäni portin löysin
Mari Boine - Diamántta Spáillit
"Sisältäni portin löysin" is beautiful. "Diamántta Spáillit" is good too, but the combination of Nordic folk and modern production is a little problematic for me.

Bracket 4.1.6
Atalyja - Gervele
Tenhi - Kuoppa

Bracket 4.1.7
Clas-Göran Hederström - Det börjar verka kärlek, banne mej
Jakob Hellman - Vara vänner
Two feelgood songs. Well, if you like that - sad comments from BillAdama and Antonius. Before this game I had no idea I would get so easily upset by negative comments about the Swedish songs. Anyway, this is a cult schlager song (which has really become a personal favorite since I posted it in my Swedish music thread) against the lead single from the best Swedish album ever according to the only(!) Swedish critics poll, in 1996. I like the album "...och stora havet" but it has never been close to #1 for me so I have always felt that Hellman is a little overrated. Nevertheless, the jazzy "Vara vänner" is wonderful and is my pick after all.

Bracket 4.1.8
Bob Hund - Düsseldorf
Ólöf Arnalds - Innundir Skinni
My favorite Bob Hund song, with some of my favorite lyrics.

"Jag gillar sånt som ingen bryr sig om. När jag blir nyfiken står tiden still. Då blir jag pigg och orkar lite till."

(I like things that no one cares about. When I get curious time stands still. Then I get alert and can do a little bit more.)

Well, it works better with the rhyme...

Maybe I was a bit harsh with my comments on those songs Henrik, but I just listened to the two again, and the former still strikes me as very big band croonery. And the latter I'm finding impossible not to constantly compare to Sunny Afternoon.

That's fine, Bill. There are similarities between "Vara vänner" and "Sunny Afternoon". Usually Hellman is compared to Elvis Costello though.

I decided to vote for Mari Boine too, but it didn't matter anymore as it was already 7-5. The rest of the results, in the closest overall week I believe we've had so far:

Bracket 4.1.5
Pekka Streng & Tasavallan Presidentti - Sisältäni portin löysin - 5
Mari Boine - Diamántta Spáillit - 8

Bracket 4.1.6
Atalyja - Gervele - 8
Tenhi - Kuoppa - 5

Bracket 4.1.7
Clas-Göran Hederström - Det börjar verka kärlek, banne mej - 4
Jakob Hellman - Vara vänner - 6

Bracket 4.1.8
Bob Hund - Düsseldorf - 7
Ólöf Arnalds - Innundir Skinni - 6