Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Next update: 800 additional pre-2010 songs!

Great additions including the following:

Who - Behind Blue Eyes (enjoyment rating =1)
Eagles - Best of My Love (3)
Yes - I've Seen All Good People (4)
Cat Stevens - Wild World (4)
Beatles - Got To Get You Into My Life (4)
Pink Floyd - Great Gig In the Sky (4)
Cat Stevens - Morning Has Broken (5)
Guess Who - These Eyes (5)
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Wooden Ships (5)
Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York (5)
Supremes - Back In My Arms Again (6)
Association - Cherish (6)
Steam - Na Na Hey Hey (6)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Teach Your Children (6)
Cat Stevens - Peace Train (6)
Janis Joplin - Move Over (6)
Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting (6)
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat (6)
Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop (6)
Marvin Gaye - How Sweet It Is (6)
Shondells - I Think We're Alone Now (6)
Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get a Message to You (6)
Doobie Brothers - Listen to the Music (6)
Wings - Silly Love Songs (6)
Carole King - So Far Away (6)
Seals & Crofts - Summer Breeze (6)
Queen - You're My Best Friend (6)
Barenaked Ladies - One Week (7)
Extreme - More Than Words (9)
Green Day - Welcome to Paradise (9)
Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (10)
KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree (10)
Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good (10)
Robert Plant and Alison Krause - Please Read the Letter (10)
Florence and the Machine - Dog Days Are Over (10)
Lemonheads - Confetti (10)

1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die, and 10,001 You Must Download (2010)

There is currently a french edition of that on store, I have not bought it (because I don't really like the picks and comments) but I'm pretty sure the list is partly different from the original one.
For instance, there is a "La Compagnie Créole" song in the 10 001 part and I really can't imagine them in the american book.
Gainsbourg's wonderful "Poinçonneur des Lilas" is in the 1001 list, I don't think this one is well known outside of France.

Anyway, the French songs among those 800 songs are real French classics that deserve to be at least bubbling. Especially Amsterdam.

Indeed, there are many songs on this list that I like and would be happy to see land a spot on this site. The French songs here are classics, and I hope that to some extent I will help them get the recognition they deserve in the rest of the world, even on an underground scale :) .

Probably, I will even do better than that : I have finally acquired "La Discothèque parfaite de la chanson française" by the same Gilles Verlant and other music critic Stan Cuesta. The lists of albums and songs are shorter than in the previous book, but it still remain a pain to copy on a computer. Fortunately, I have learned some tricks in Microsoft Word since the last time, and it takes less time ! When I'll be through, I will post it entirely on the forum, even if nearly the entire content of the book will be new material that won't be included before a few years I think. :D

Thanks for all your amazing work, Henrik, I'm already waiting for that next update ! 8-)

Great stuff, Henrik. Much thanks for the preview. :)

Interesting list, and a lot of great songs. Some of them I would have thought were already on the list. And a few I wonder where their acclaim comes from. Thanks for the work, Henrik and JR.

There are a few I am surprised weren't on the list already. The Man Who Sold The World, Tombstone Blues, Close To The Edge, The Hardest Button To Button. Definitely great additions.

3 Wilco songs = awesome. After you posted this, "A Shot in the Arm" made another list, it's third or fourth total in the past couple years. Hopefully that'll be yet another Wilco bubbler.

Also stoked about Pulp's Disco 2000. One of my favorite Pulp songs.

Here are the 30 songs I am the happiest to see there :

1) Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New-York
One of my very favorite songs of the 70s, one of the sweetest songs in the world. Among others, Elliott Smith's songwriting has been compared with Paul Simon and here is the obvious example. Also, it ages very well and could have been the best track of recent albums by bands like the Shins.

2) Smog - Teenage Spaceship
A wonder of economy and understatement, haunting

3) Beastie Boys - Sure Shot
An old favorite. I can't count how much times I have sung lyrics I still don't understand like "I got the brand new doodoo guaranted like yoohoo". Most of all, this is probably the songs that made me fall in love with the Beastie Boys and that means a lot to me.

4) Alain Bashung - La Nuit je Mens
A very solid candidate for the title of best French song of the 90s. I have been quite disappointed by the album it is in, but this gem showcases all the incredible elegance and wit of Bashung.

5) Jacques Brel - Amsterdam
The French classic among all. Not my favorite Brel song, but pretty close, his delivery is as usual incredible intense and the accordeon has rarely sounded that great.

6) Les Négresses Vertes - Zobi la Mouche
Some Négresses Vertes songs like this one, "c'est pas la mer à boire" or "face à la mer" send me back to found memories of my youth. There wasn't that much music around me when I was a kid, but Mlah was often playing at one of my mother's best friend house, or during holidays with her. They knew how to incorporate both guinguette and oriental music in their songs without it feeling forced and that's probably why it talked to both my parents. My mother's friend died of cancer few years later and I remind it at the first tragedy of my teenage, I don't remember that much of this person but everytime i listen to "Mlah" or anything by Les Négresses Vertes, I think of her.

7) Motorhead - Overkill
Yeah, sure, the Ace of Spades rocks, but this is the best moment of a Motorhead concert : crazy solos, unstoppable drums, Lemmy's grunts... a concentrate of adrenaline

8) Seal - Kiss From a Rose
9) Phil Collins - Against all Odds
Okay, those might be cheesy... but even I need something to butcher at karaoke. The nostalgy factor is strong here, those were 2 of my favorite songs back when I was 14.

10) Noir Désir - Un Jour en France

It should have been Tostaky, Un Homme Pressé, Lola or Le Vent l'Emportera, but this anti-fascist anthem is also damn great.

The other 20 :

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)) (2004)
Bush, Kate - Suspended in Gaffa (1982)
Cash, Johnny - The Man Comes Around (2002)
Crystal Castles - Untrust Us (2008)
Ferrer, Nino - Le Sud (1975)
Gainsbourg, Serge - Requiem pour un con (1968)
Ghostface Killah - Nutmeg (2000)
Hall & Oates - Maneater (1982)
Jackson, Michael & Janet - Scream (1995)
Kasabian - Club Foot (2004)
Kraftwerk - Computer Love (1981)
Piaf, Edith - Foule (1958)
Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight (2003)
Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place (2007)
Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight (1984)
Stooges, The - No Fun (1969)
Suicide - Ghost Rider (1977)
Usher - You Make Me Wanna… (1997)
Who, The - Behind Blue Eyes (1971)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date with the Night (2003)

And here are the 5 I really don't think should be in AM (remembering that I picked Seal, Phil Collins and Usher in my list, so I am not being nitpicky. Heck, even Montell Jordan is fine for me)

4 Non Blondes - What's Up? (1992)
Berry, Chuck - My Ding-a-Ling (1972)
Extreme - More Than Words (1991)
Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance (1982)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (1989)