Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum Poll: The Best Songs of the 00s Results

Moonbeam
Henrik
Most people probably thought Depeche Mode and The Killers would be among the last ten, but they ended around the 70th place despite massive hatred which must mean there were several semi-fans too.

The entire Playing the Angel album is thoroughly and surprisingly good!
I'm actually not that big a fan of the album.

# 55

Coldplay - Yellow

Score: 1039 points

Biggest fans:
Midaso #1

Haters:
beefsupreme #95, Moonbeam #94

Voters:

Comments:
This is surprisingly merely bad. That's great by Coldplay standards. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2000 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 57

AMF poll of 00's rank: 89

# 54

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Score: 1040 points

Biggest fans:
Romain #8, beefsupreme #10

Haters:
Miguel #99, Henry #92

Voters:

Comments:
The lead single from one of the most ambitious, visionary and profound albums of the 2000s is just the tip of the iceberg. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2005 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 105

AMF poll of 00's rank: 53

# 53

Eminem - Lose Yourself

Score: 1044 points

Biggest fans:
Depeche Mode #5

Haters:
Miguel #100, Romain #91, Chris K. #91, John #82/84, Jonah #77/80

Voters:

Comments:
Everyone from my generation seems to know every word from this song, which makes sense: it's the ultimate pump-up jam. "His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy"...you can fill in the rest. #40. (Evan)

There are only a few Eminem songs I can enjoy. This isn't quite there, but I can see why it is beloved. (Moonbeam)

Stage fright. The semi-autobiographical story of a white rapper struggling for respect among the black hip-hop scene, and doing this achieving the first Oscar to a rap song. (Honorio)

From the placement of these two it may look like I'm a die hard Eminem fan, that's not true, but these two singles are such a classics, filled with passion and meaning, executed perfectly. Lose Yourself gets a notch for the sentiment (Depeche Mode)

Place in the 2002 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 40

AMF poll of 00's rank: 29

# 52

The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

Score: 1048 points

Biggest fans:
Jackson #4, Nassim #5, Petri #9

Haters:
Henry #99, Depeche Mode #96, Slick #92, Miguel #91

Voters:

Comments:
I find this to be more interesting than appealing. (Moonbeam)

Annoying, not fascinating (Depeche Mode)

Place in the 2000 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 127

AMF poll of 00's rank: 32

# 51

Kanye West - Jesus Walks

Score: 1053 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #6

Haters:
Miguel #97

Voters:

Comments:
Kanye definitely has talent, and it was with this song that I finally acknowledged it. Perhaps he oversells it, but that's kinda his schtick. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2004 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 59

AMF poll of 00's rank: 69

Henrik
Moonbeam
Henrik
Most people probably thought Depeche Mode and The Killers would be among the last ten, but they ended around the 70th place despite massive hatred which must mean there were several semi-fans too.

The entire Playing the Angel album is thoroughly and surprisingly good!
I'm actually not that big a fan of the album.

Hmmm. What do you think about Exciter and Sounds of the Universe?

Everything post-Violator is just above average in my book. A couple of stand-out songs but not engaging through a whole album. I mostly prefer their moodier songs (but Exciter lacked...excitement). Songs with distorted vocals a la "Barrel of a Gun" are awful.

Now, let's move over to other topics. Well, it's bedtime for me...

"Lose Yourself" finished way too low!
It's from a time before Eminem sold out (when he was good.)

Henrik

Now, let's move over to other topics. Well, it's bedtime for me...

For me too... Presentation will continue tomorrow.

# 50

Wilco - Impossible Germany

Score: 1056 points

Biggest fans:
Greg #1, nicolas #3, Honorio #6

Haters:
VanillaFire1000 #100, Schwah #99, Chris #97, Nassim #91, Jonah #75/80

Voters:

Comments:
One of the few songs I did not know before the poll, and to be honest I still would not be able to remember how it sounds. Like we say in France "it entered by one ear and went out through the other". (Nassim)

This is probably my favorite of the Wilco songs I've heard. It's pretty but has enough depth to be enduring. (Moonbeam)

With their sixth album Wilco returned to more classic forms losing some credit from the critics who preferred the two previous and more experimental albums. But what's wrong with going classic if it includes songs like this "Impossible Germany" that benefits from a terrific chord sequence and a great guitar solo from Nels Cline with a last minute almost orgasmic. (Honorio)

Place in the 2007 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: Bubbling under

AMF poll of 00's rank: 191

# 49

LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge

Score: 1067 points

Biggest fans:
Jonah #2, Evan #8, Nick #9

Haters:
Henry #100, Honorio #100, Greg #99, Miguel 93, Henrik #92

Voters:

Comments:
What an opening statement! James Murphy's self-depricating humor and production genius came fully formed. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2002 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 12

AMF poll of 00's rank: 37

# 48

Jay-Z - 99 Problems

Score: 1081 points

Biggest fans:
Depeche Mode #7

Haters:
Petri #97, Romain #96, Midaso #94, Jackson #92

Voters:

Comments:
Jay-Z just doesn't do it for me. This is one of his best, though I'd give the edge to "Dirt off Your Shoulder". (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2003 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 8

AMF poll of 00's rank: 36

# 47

Radiohead - Idioteque

Score: 1085 points

Biggest fans:
Evan #1, Nassim #9

Haters:
Stephan #98

Voters:

Comments:
It's the end of the world, but everyone just wants to party. #1. (Evan)

It's cool and all, but Björk does this stuff so much better. (Moonbeam)

I really loved it for the first 10 listens or so but then it started to annoy me slipped in my rankings a lot (Depeche Mode)

Place in the 2000 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 22

AMF poll of 00's rank: 46

# 46

The Roots feat. Cody ChesnuTT - The Seed (2.0)

Score: 1090 points

Biggest fans:
VanillaFire1000 #1, Slick #8, Rocky Raccoon #10

Haters:
Zorg #98, Chris K. #97

Voters:

Comments:
I can get behind the groove and the racy lyrics to this for sure! (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2002 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 81

AMF poll of 00's rank: 61

Not to nitpick, but I had "99 Problems" as my number 10.

Great job so far Petri!

The Roots beating out a slew of more famous songs makes up for The Rip and Nothing Ever Happened placing right below my bottom two. Nice placement for those Avalanches tracks, all things considered.

nj

Mark E. Smith?

beefsupreme

Mark E. Smith?

satisfucked.jpg

nj
Is that really necessary?

Nick
Not to nitpick, but I had "99 Problems" as my number 10.

Sorry about that. I picked the fans and haters sections manually from the excel file so this time I didn't notice your #10 spot when I checked the high and low votes. Nevertheless the score is rght in this case too.
It's good that you inform about these lacks. There's always a possibility that the points are wrong (like in the S-K - beefsupreme case).

I don't get nj's comment but maybe there are better arenas for comments like that in other forums.
Edit: And I mean only that one comment. Usually nj's comments are the most interesting ones on AMF.

I also want to thank Honorio for Since I Left You link.

# 45

The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??

Score: 1102 points

Biggest fans:
Honorio #3

Haters:
Nassim #100, Michel #99, Schwah #98

Voters:

Comments:
I have hard time listening to the Soft Bulletin in full with the exception of its 2 acclaimed songs which are fairly good. For Yoshimi it was the opposite, the acclaimed song really dragged it down. Sorry fans, I find this song terrible. (Nassim)

I thought I would hate this after a snippet of its chorus was so overused by VH1 a number of years ago, but hearing it in full was a revelation. (Moonbeam)

The magic on the common things ("the sun doesn't go down / it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round"), the obvious but true statements ("everyone you know someday will die") and life reaffirmation ("life goes fast / it's hard to make the good things last"). Maybe naïve, maybe childish but I wish every hit song could be like this one. Do you realize?? (Honorio)

Place in the 2002 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 50

AMF poll of 00's rank: 48

# 44

Animal Collective - My Girls

Score: 1107 points

Biggest fans:
Evan #2, Depeche Mode #4, Chris #10

Haters:
John #84/84, Greg #94

Voters:

Comments:
The climax lasts for over a minute, and half the song feels like it's overflowing. It's an immense song, but Animal Collective maintains an underlying layer of the levity that made them so endearing in the first place. The logical culmination of a decade-long journey for one of the 00's greatest bands. #2. (Evan)

I like the kaleidoscopic pinwheel that this song is going for and the emotional message it carries, but the voices are a bit of a letdown. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2009 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 13

AMF poll of 00's rank: 22

# 43

Antony & The Johnsons - Hope There's Someone

Score: 1111 points

Biggest fans:
nicolas #2, Miguel #8

Haters:
beefsupreme #100, Slick #97, Jackson #95, Henry #91

Voters:

Comments:
Definitely gets to your emotions. Too bad the rest of the album can't live up to this peak. #55. (Evan)

Antony's tremble can be a bit over the top, but there's no denying the beauty of this song. (Moonbeam)

A harrowing plea for love (or at least for company) sung with Antony's shivering voice. Don't let him/her be the one left "in the middle place / between light and nowhere". (Honorio)

Place in the 2005 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 39

AMF poll of 00's rank: 58

# 42

Annie - Heartbeat

Score: 1114 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam #1, Stephan #2, John #6, sonofsamiam #9

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #98, Evan #94, Harold Wexler #93, Romain #93

Voters:

Comments:
This is arguably the most moving song I have ever heard. It plays like a perfect slice of ephemeral pop, but beneath the surface is real heartache that makes Annie the absolute master of the happy/sad dichotomy. What better homage could she pay to her late boyfriend/collaborator who died of a heart ailment than to repeatedly offer "Feel my heartbeat"? The time she spent with him she remembers fondly, but it is clearly in the past ("there was a time", "I won't forget the greatest times I had when I was dancing with you".) Music rarely hits me so hard, and it was this triumph that helped me to overcome my own dark times in 2004 and 2005. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2004 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 104

AMF poll of 00's rank: 35

# 41

MGMT - Kids

Score: 1117 points

Biggest fans:
Chris #1, Romain #4, Slick #4

Haters:
Henry #97

Voters:

Comments:
Pop! Whizz! Bang! This song burns. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2007 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 23

AMF poll of 00's rank: 19

Awww. I was hoping "My Heartbeat" would make the top 25.

Kids verses and chorus are great, but what an awful bridge they put toward the end... especially the strange horns sounding like the winning .wav on an old video game.

And thanks Moonbeam for the insights on Heartbeat, I hear it differently now

Nassim
Kids verses and chorus are great, but what an awful bridge they put toward the end... especially the strange horns sounding like the winning .wav on an old video game.

No problem! It's one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard.

Nassim

Me too. Same with Since I Left you, thanks to Honorio.

Nassim

Looks like I'm thanking again for same things Nassim already did. But the comment of Heartbeat was eye opening. Thanks Moonbeam.

#1 of it's year not in top 40 in final is always a surprise. Of course in this AC case the dislike of the band was expected but still...

# 40

M83 - Kim & Jessie

Score: 1118 points

Biggest fans:
Slick #1, Greg #4, Jonah #5

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #100, Schwah #97, Michel #92, nicolas #91

Voters:

Comments:
As good as this song is, I am always puzzled to see it the recurrent pick for this album which has, for me, best standout tracks like Couleurs or We own the sky (#67) (Nassim)

While some of the teenage angst on Saturdays = Youth is too uncomfortable to bear, this is lovely. (Moonbeam)

The 80s revival marked many sounds of the 00s, but very few evocated the 80s synth-pop as brilliantly as M83, with its dreamy voices, airy beats and floating synths. (Honorio)

Place in the 2008 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 135

AMF poll of 00's rank: 375

# 39

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head

Score: 1118 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam #3, Chris #6, Zorg #8, Honorio #9, Henrik #10

Haters:
Depeche Mode #97, Rocky Raccoon #95

Voters:

Comments:
One of those forgotten songs from my pre-teen years that I'm more than happy to rediscover. #54. (Evan)

This song probably matters more to me than any other of the 2000s. I had grown disinterested by most contemporary music throughout the doldrums of the 90s, only seeking out releases by established favorites with only a few exceptions. But when I heard that chugging synth and the hypnotic "la la la" chant, my whole being became transfixed. When I saw the end of the video credits list the artist as Kylie Minogue, who I only knew from "Locomotion", I was shocked. At once, my interest in exploring new music was firmly reestablished, and I discovered this website soon thereafter. This is one of the greatest pop songs of all time as Kylie effortlessly plays the half dream/half nightmare of romantic obsession to a futuristic synthesized brave new world. (Moonbeam)

I can't get Kylie out of my head. I've always liked Kylie Minogue but the Stock, Aitken & Waterman awful 80s sound was a letdown. That's why I was so glad to see her succeeding widely and gaining critic credibility doing anything but good mainstream music with "Some Kind of Bliss", "Spinning Around” and exploding with this "Can't Get You out of My Head". (Honorio)

Place in the 2001 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 10

AMF poll of 00's rank: 20

# 38

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

Score: 1122 points

Biggest fans:
John #8

Haters:
Henry #96, Petri #92

Voters:

Comments:
Grooves aggressively. #26. (Evan)

The way Gorillaz blurred not only genre boundaries but media boundaries sure felt like a revolution. Demon Days is the apex, but this was a fantastic first glimpse. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2001 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 63

AMF poll of 00's rank: 51

# 37

Coldplay - Clocks

Score: 1126 points

Biggest fans:
Miguel #1, Chris K. #2, Depeche Mode #3, Henry #7

Haters:
Moonbeam #98, sonofsamiam #98, beefsupreme #97, Evan #95, Chris #93

Voters:

Comments:
Attributing meaning to this is akin to contemplating the depth in a Hallmark card. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2002 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 156

AMF poll of 00's rank: 68

# 36

Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks

Score: 1150 points

Biggest fans:
Romain #6, Chris K. #8

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
One of the best vocal performances of the decade, for sure. Holy crackers. (Moonbeam)

Grizzly Bear elaborate a lot their simple pop songs, with "Two Weeks" as the best prove of their way of combining immediacy and luminosity with complexity and subtlety. (Honorio)

Place in the 2009 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 45

AMF poll of 00's rank: 39

Dan M
Nassim

Me too. Same with Since I Left you, thanks to Honorio.

I'm going to give "Since I Left You" another listen.

Kylie making the top 40 is a big (and welcome) surprise! I guess that off-beat synth chug was enough to hypnotize the forum.

Couble of my biggest favorites just missed top 30.

# 35

TV on the Radio - Staring At The Sun

Score: 1153 points

Biggest fans:
Petri #1, John #4, Michel #5

Haters:
nicolas #100, Honorio #98, Dan M #95

Voters:

Comments:
There are 3 masterpieces in TV on the Radio's first album and while I like Dreams more, this still is an astonishing hypnotizing song. (#11) (Nassim)

This is nice, but it doesn't excite me like the other two TVOTR songs here. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2003 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 96

AMF poll of 00's rank: 42

# 34

The Strokes - Hard to Explain

Score: 1163 points

Biggest fans:
Beefsupreme #6, Harold Wexler #7

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
This song's acclaim has always been a little confusing to me. The whole album is filled with great singles, but this is the one that emerges? It actually gets a bit tiresome if I listen to it enough, which I can't say for others like The Modern Age, Someday, or Take It or Leave It, which are more deserving in my opinion. #76. (Evan)

Such effective stop-start mechanics are hard to replicate. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2001 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 62

AMF poll of 00's rank: 40

# 33

The National - Fake Empire

Score: 1174 points

Biggest fans:
Stephan #1, Midaso #2, Petri #10

Haters:
sonofsamiam #91

Voters:

Comments:
Stately and smoldering, it was the perfect first glimpse into The National's world for me. (Moonbeam)

It's all about the four-over-three rhythm pattern on the piano, then the baritone vocals and then the drums, the guitars and the horns, the epic crescendo. Yes, we can. (Honorio)

Place in the 2007 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 304

AMF poll of 00's rank: 41

# 32

The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

Score: 1183 points

Biggest fans:
Henry #1, John #3, Stephan #4, Honorio #4

Haters:
Michel #91

Voters:

Comments:
Electronic music with an emotional tug is right up my alley. I could see Annie digging this. (Moonbeam)

Jimmy Tamborello from Dntel provided the sparkling electronic beats and Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie the bright pop melodies and imaginative lyrics to create one of the best love songs of the decade. It was the first and last time these two artists teamed up and maybe it's better, a new collaboration probably could've not reached again such great heights. (Honorio)

Place in the 2003 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 30

AMF poll of 00's rank: 73

# 31

The Knife - Silent Shout

Score: 1185 points

Biggest fans:
Petri #2, Nassim #4, Henrik #6, Greg #7

Haters:
Miguel #92, Nick #91

Voters:

Comments:
I love many openers, lots being included in our list, but very few can top this one in the way it sets the mood and puts you in a brand new world. Also, you won't find many ways being both that dark and that danceable. (Nassim)

It perfectly sets the tone for the eerie ride that follows. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2006 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 124

AMF poll of 00's rank: 100

nj is so mad people don't agree with him he's now stopped even talking about music and started trolling the forum with disgusting pictures.

Can't those pictures be deleted?

BillAdama
nj is so mad people don't agree with him he's now stopped even talking about music and started trolling the forum with disgusting pictures.

Umm, who is this "him" of whom you speak?

Agreed about the picture, though. Not quite as awful as the one last year, but close enough. There's no reason for that. This isn't 4chan, for Christ's sake.

Clocks in Top 40 good good good even with the cruel Moonbeam comment.

I have certainly expected My Girls to end up higher, I can see where the criticism for the it's album comes from, but I can't see a way to dislike this song.

Anyway, my Top 2 is still running!

Depeche Mode
Clocks in Top 40 good good good even with the cruel Moonbeam comment.

The best part is that "Clocks" comes in two spots ahead of "Can't Get You Out of My Head." lol.

Petri, "Hope There's Someone" is my #7 song and I didn't show up in the biggest fans section. (I'm not too concerned about the biggest fans part, I just want to make sure my vote was counted)

Harold Wexler
BillAdama

Agreed about the picture, though. Not quite as awful as the one last year, but close enough. There's no reason for that. This isn't 4chan, for Christ's sake.
I don't like the picture either, but I'm afraid it's too late to delete it now as that would also delete all the later posts, since they are replies to nj's post.

Zorg
Interesting to see all these R&B songs next to each other in the 80s and 90s. In my mind, 1 Thing is by far the best of them all.

Agreed (obviously, since it was my #3 song)

I'm sorry I was not able to take part in the discussions on this and the album poll. But I wanted to quickly speak up for "1 Thing." The sample is mind-blowingly great every time I hear it. And I enjoy Amerie's vocal more and more each time I hear the song (and I've been listening to it quite a lot). She doesn't have a particularly powerful voice, but she has a nicely-controlled, ever-so-slight tremolo that I like, and a light yet confident upper register.

But most of all, her vocal is soooooo sexy. She sounds like an intelligent young woman who should damn well know better, but can't help coming back again and again for that elusive, transgressive, irresistable "1 thing." Yikes. What a way to inflate a man's - ummmmm - ego.

Maybe we should think about moving to a forum which has logins and moderation options?

Right now if AM was just a little more high profile a site it'd be vulnerable to all kinds of spam attacks, posting under other peoples' handles, and things like that. At the Mubi forum there's somebody who keeps coming back and posting all these racist pornographic pictures, and if we can't delete things like that without deleting a whole lot of legitimate posts, that's a problem.

Petri
Nassim

Looks like I'm thanking again for same things Nassim already did. But the comment of Heartbeat was eye opening. Thanks Moonbeam.

#1 of it's year not in top 40 in final is always a surprise. Of course in this AC case the dislike of the band was expected but still...

Totally agree. My Girls at #44 is criminal.

Henrik
Harold Wexler
BillAdama

I don't like the picture either, but I'm afraid it's too late to delete it now as that would also delete all the later posts, since they are replies to nj's post.

I think it's worth deleting it. We can repost our posts, but that picture really messes this thread up especially since the thread will be archived in the History of AM Polls.

One person's stupid post shouldn't make us lose confidence in a community that can cope perfectly well without censorship.

Let's talk about music instead. Sufjan Stevens... I'm pleasantly surprised that all 3 of his songs are in the top 30. I thought split-voting might have had a negative effect.

I don't think vote splitting is much of a problem in this type of poll where you have to vote for every song anyway.

Why not just make a new thread for the top 30?

Such Great Heights this high is a surprise. I thought it would place bottom 20.

As far as songs with Antony vocals, I'm shocked Hope There's Someone beat out Blind by 40 places. Blind is just an amazing track, a 21st century "Blue Monday."

Chris
Petri, "Hope There's Someone" is my #7 song and I didn't show up in the biggest fans section. (I'm not too concerned about the biggest fans part, I just want to make sure my vote was counted)

Your vote was counted. I just again forgot to add you in the fan section.
For now on I will double check fans and haters before posting.
I'll release tonight only these five songs. Presentation will continue tomorrow (probably in the evening).

# 30

Radiohead - Everything in it's Right Place

Score: 1219 points

Biggest fans:
Depeche Mode #1, Chris K. #1

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
I couldn't imagine a more fitting opener to Kid A. It's a good song in its own right, but its main purpose is to set up an album full of even better songs. #58. (Evan)

While many people (including people on these boards) have raved about Radiohead's ability to change their music so much, I don't believe they’ve ever changed much at all. Even their most different songs, such as Karma Police with its acoustic guitar and piano and Idioteque which is driven almost exclusively by electronic beats, still sound very much Radioheadesque. This is true for virtually any artist/band ever; hardly anyone drastically changes their music over the course of their career. In fact, most of my favorite artists/bands (including Bob Dylan, despite going electric and all that) never really changed much, and I believe the reason for this is the fact that every band is simply ‘looking for their sound’ over the course of their career. Dylan called it “that thin, that wild mercury sound” and believes he got closest to it on Blonde on Blonde, and I believe Radiohead got closest to it on this song. The main reason I don’t really like Radiohead is that I’m not a big fan of the sound they were (and are) looking for, but I’ll be damned if this song doesn’t make me happy they got so close to it; far and away the best thing they’ve ever done and the song that justifies their entire existence. I could do without everything else. (Stephan)

It's cool and all, but Björk does this stuff so much better. (Moonbeam)

Third favorite Radiohead song and in my all time top 10 for sure. (Depeche Mode)

Place in the 2000 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 121

AMF poll of 00's rank: 52

# 29

Daft Punk - One More Time

Score: 1227 points

Biggest fans:
VanillaFire1000 #2, nicolas #6, Schwah #6, Midaso #9

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #99

Voters:

Comments:
I still haven't fully bought into Daft Punk for some reason, but they lit up dancefloors like few others in the 2000s. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2000 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 25

AMF poll of 00's rank: 14

# 28

Wilco - Jesus etc.

Score: 1232 points

Biggest fans:
John #2, Petri #7

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
Lots of fuss has been made of this song, but I don't get it. (Moonbeam)

Despite being recorded before the 9/11 it included unintentionally some eerie previews of it like "tall buildings shake" or "skyscrapers are scrapin' together". (Honorio)

Place in the 2002 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 72

AMF poll of 00's rank: 28

# 27

Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows

Score: 1249 points

Biggest fans:
Schwah #4, beefsupreme #5, Evan #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
Neither do I. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2002 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 75

AMF poll of 00's rank: 33

# 26

MGMT - Time to Pretend

Score: 1251 points

Biggest fans:
Romain #3, VanillaFire1000 #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
There's an innocence to their approach that makes this starry-eyed synth wonder a real treat. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2007 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 37

AMF poll of 00's rank: 16

Oh yeah, I forgot I submitted that comment. I still stand by it though.

Great presentation so far Petri, looking forward to the final 25.

Now that is a great batch of songs. Once again QotSA pleasantly surprise me with their high placement.

Jackson
Now that is a great batch of songs. Once again QotSA pleasantly surprise me with their high placement.

I like #96-#100 better than the last 5.

So I can post pornography and it wouldn't be deleted?

I'm against censorship too but I keep incidentally scrolling to these pictures that are physically uncomfortable to look at. It makes me not want to read the thread.

Nassim
Thanks for the link Honorio !
I have listened to Frontier Psychiatrist tons of times and I had never realized that the strings at the beginning was the one from Lawrence of Arabia while well, it is fairly obvious with an attentive listening.

Hey, Nassim, Dan M and Petri, many thanks but the props should go (apart of the Avalanches of course) to the one that made the Youtube video. I found fascinating the songs based on samples, especially the works of The Avalanches and DJ Shadow. I strongly recommend a page called Who Sampled Who with tons of samples including You tube links.

About nj's picture I think I should say something. First of all I don't know why but I couldn't see the picture at work but I could read all the backlash that generated. So when I came home last night I was deeply intrigued about it. And when I saw the photo I should say that I didn't find it funny at all. I usually enjoy a lot the iconoclast behaviour of nj but please let me explain why I didn't enjoy this particular case. Previoulsy I talked in the Forum about my work, I work as an Ophthalmologist and my particular sub-speciality is Pediatric Ophtahlmology. Cases like the kid on the picture (that apparently was operated of a bilateral enucleation of his eyeballs) usually suffer retinoblastoma, a malignant condition of the retina that in these bilateral cases is even an hereditary disease. In past years I had the opportunity to treat some cases like this one and, despite that most of the cases can be managed by conservative means, in some cases the only alternative to save the life of the child is to enucleate (extract) the eye. And, believe me, this is not funny at all. Sometimes I had a hard time to hold back my own tears in front of the parents of those kids. So, nj, (and sorry for the paternalistic tone) you chose a subject that probably you shouldn't have used. The image is no doubt stunning (and that's why your posted it) but there is so much suffering behind those cases that I can't agree at all with your choice.

# 25

The White Stripes - Fell in Love with a Girl

Score: 1258 points

Biggest fans:
Rocky Raccoon #2, Evan #5, beefsupreme #8, Slick #9

Haters:
Greg #95, Petri #91

Voters:

Comments:
The title says it all. Sounds like falling in love for the first time, which is a great sound indeed. #5. (Evan)

A rip-roaring call to arms in less than 2 seconds. Its parent album let me down, but this opening salvo still thrills. (Moonbeam)

Generic rock song if you ask me (Depeche Mode)

Place in the 2001 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 36

AMF poll of 00's rank: 30

# 24

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

Score: 1283 points

Biggest fans:
Romain #2, Miguel #4, nicolas #4, Dan M #7

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
Could have been made in 1808, but works surprisingly well in 2008. (I have a sneaking suspicion someone's used that phrase before, but it sums it up perfectly) #51. (Evan)

This side of the musical spectrum still very rarely excites me. (Moonbeam)

Used by a Spanish TV Channel as theme music for their Christmas advertising, appropriately because it encapsulates the Christmas feeling better than a snow crystal. (Honorio)

Place in the 2008 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 85

AMF poll of 00's rank: 47

# 23

Daft Punk - Digital Love

Score: 1290 points

Biggest fans:
Midaso #3, sonofsamiam #3, Chris #5, VanillaFire1000 #7, Jackson #10

Haters:
Zorg #96

Voters:

Comments:
I didn't know this one. Perhaps if I spent more time with it, I would grow to love it, as all the ingredients are there, but it isn't clicking for me yet. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2001 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 68

AMF poll of 00's rank: 15

# 22

TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me

Score: 1301 points

Biggest fans:
Jackson #1, Schwah #7, Michel #9

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
I thought I didn't really live TV on the Radio after Return to Cookie Mountain failed to impress on first listen. I must have been sleeping when this came on, though, because when I heard it again, my blood boiled with the lust-fueled furor described. Holy cow. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2006 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 31

AMF poll of 00's rank: 18

# 21

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Score: 1328 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam #4, Rocky Raccoon #5, Petri #6, Jonah #8, VanillaFire1000 #9, Dan M #9, Greg #10

Haters:
nicolas #99

Voters:

Comments:
This song became popular while my dad was in the hospital shortly before he died. Hearing it every night offered some strange catharsis that I can't quite explain, but there's really no need to add anything to the majesty of this song. (Moonbeam)

Place in the 2003 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 11

AMF poll of 00's rank: 11

As far as I can tell the voters in this poll were fairly consistent with their love of the songs in the top Arcade Fire and Sufjan Stevens albums as they were for the albums in their entirety.

Even an older fellow like myself can appreciate these two (six) masterpieces of the naughties.

Honorio
Nassim
Thanks for the link Honorio !
I have listened to Frontier Psychiatrist tons of times and I had never realized that the strings at the beginning was the one from Lawrence of Arabia while well, it is fairly obvious with an attentive listening.

Hey, Nassim, Dan M and Petri, many thanks but the props should go (apart of the Avalanches of course) to the one that made the Youtube video. I found fascinating the songs based on samples, especially the works of The Avalanches and DJ Shadow. I strongly recommend a page called Who Sampled Who with tons of samples including You tube links.

About nj's picture I think I should say something. First of all I don't know why but I couldn't see the picture at work but I could read all the backlash that generated. So when I came home last night I was deeply intrigued about it. And when I saw the photo I should say that I didn't find it funny at all. I usually enjoy a lot the iconoclast behaviour of nj but please let me explain why I didn't enjoy this particular case. Previoulsy I talked in the Forum about my work, I work as an Ophthalmologist and my particular sub-speciality is Pediatric Ophtahlmology. Cases like the kid on the picture (that apparently was operated of a bilateral enucleation of his eyeballs) usually suffer retinoblastoma, a malignant condition of the retina that in these bilateral cases is even an hereditary disease. In past years I had the opportunity to treat some cases like this one and, despite that most of the cases can be managed by conservative means, in some cases the only alternative to save the life of the child is to enucleate (extract) the eye. And, believe me, this is not funny at all. Sometimes I had a hard time to hold back my own tears in front of the parents of those kids. So, nj, (and sorry for the paternalistic tone) you chose a subject that probably you shouldn't have used. The image is no doubt stunning (and that's why your posted it) but there is so much suffering behind those cases that I can't agree at all with your choice.

I believe you have misdiasgnosed, Dr. Hon! I believe it's simply an early case of Mouth Eyes http://www.freakingnews.com/Mouth-Eyes-Pictures--1741.asp

Yeah, sure, it's simply a photographic effect but reproducing the aspect of enucleated eyes.

That post...

In English = disgusting
In Spanish = repugnante
In French = dégoûtant
In Swedish = äckligt

Pretty fucking horrible in any language.

those pictures were really shocking, dealing with very serious things, that's not what you want to see in apeaceful and friendly site like AM, no I'm not at all with him ointhis
his fake porn pictures were fun though haha

nicolas
those pictures were really shocking, dealing with very serious things, that's not what you want to see in apeaceful and friendly site like AM, no I'm not at all with him ointhis

Am I missing something? Isn't nj an individual of the female persuasion (admittedly rare around here)?

nicolas

True.

[/quote]

Harold Wexler

Am I missing something? Isn't nj an individual of the female persuasion (admittedly rare around here)?

Well 2 yrs ago he finally admitted he was a he, but you never know with nj...

This has gotten off track to the point where I think we definitely need a new thread for the top 20.

Great placement for Wolf Like Me, the rare track that is still getting better with every listen despite it being one of my most-played songs. The intensity of the second chorus and the perfect transitions in and out of the slow middle part are what make the song for me.

Jackson
This has gotten off track to the point where I think we definitely need a new thread for the top 20.
Yes, that seems like a good idea.

Hello everyone.
Yesterday night when I came home (late from the music quiz - we were second) and checked the forum the results thread was locked. I didn't have interest to start a new thread then so I went to bed.
Now looks like it has been a lot of conversation about censorship and stuff here in the forum today.

First of all I'm very glad that Dan M abrogated his decision not to participate to discussion here in the forum anymore.

Then (when I saw that thread was locked and discussion didn't deal with the results that much anymore but nj's picture) I think I should open a new thread for results (although it's not locked anymore).
So the new results thread will start shortly.

Edit: Part 2