Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum Poll: The Best Albums of the 00s Results

Belle and Sebastian albums were very disappointing for me, especially the Life Pursuit. I like Belle & Sebastian 90's sound and melodies and it was a big letdown to hear those pretty boring songs.

Petri
Biggest fans:
None

Haters:
Dan M #96

Comments:
I tried to think of something to say for this one, but nothing came to mind. Probably why it ended up No. 79. (Rocky Raccoon)
Not many reactions here...

^ I feel very lonely as the only hater. Others clearly don't think that Weird Era Cont. is as bloody awful as I think it is (I like Microcastle though, as I've said before). But it's at #80, so maybe the lack of reaction (so far) is that a lot of people are indifferent as opposed to passionate about the overrated album.

PS: I'm getting a little nervous because S-freakin'-K haven't showed up yet!

Person Pitch: Looking back, I didn't realise I placed it last on my list, hah. I'm sure there are worse albums somewhere, but this album really does verge on the annoying.

It's Blitz(30): I agree with the person who commented, I'm not that much of a fan of raw YYY, this is more light-hearted, more fun, I think more emotional.

Album (23): My highest album so far, if I'm correct. It has a couple of AMAZING songs - Hellhole Ratrace, Lust For Life, Laura, Summertime, but it's not consistent enough. I really like their sound, but this album could have been soo much better.

Bitte Orca (39): Agree again. It really is the opposite of a grower, I don't listen to it very often at all. One song I really do like which people don't mention quite often is Useful Chamber.

Good News (48): It's a really fun album. It has a lot of great songs on it, especially the last one, The Good Times Are Killing Me, which has the amazing part where the drum kicks in and it sounds majestic.

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (37): Again, it's an ungrower. I really really liked this when it came out, but now I'm more ambivalent towards it. It still has those two great songs and Love Like A Sunset though, which sounded great live (and that's the memory I hold onto when I hear Phoenix).

Strawberry Jam(54): This one is growing in my expectations, but only because it started so low down.

Edit: I'd only managed to hear One Beat by the time of the poll, but God it was amazing! Just pure pure full-of-attitude rock. I hope they don't come for a long long time.

Dan M
^ I feel very lonely as the only hater. Others clearly don't think that Weird Era Cont. is as bloody awful as I think it is (I like Microcastle though, as I've said before). But it's at #80, so maybe the lack of reaction (so far) is that a lot of people are indifferent as opposed to passionate about the overrated album.

PS: I'm getting a little nervous because S-freakin'-K haven't showed up yet!

I am somewhat surprised that we haven't seen SK yet. I was not particularly impressed with either of the SK albums. Clearly there are SK supporters among our voters. As you may have guessed, I am looking forward to some explanations about why these folks find the SK songs so enjoyable.

I didn't expect Ys so early, but there's a thing against folk here that's why. Really love that record, especially since my daughter is learning the harp.

Every comment about "Stay Positive" is "it's less good that Girls and Boys in America". But I really prefer Stay positive, it's like a modern Darkness On The Edge Of Town and it is lyrically better. Maybe it's because I discovered The Hold Steady thru Stay Positive and not the other way around. Since both albums are quite similar, the first cut is the deepest I guess

the Streets is another very good lyrical group.

And Dig! Lazarus too. 3 fantastic albums with fantastic lyrics. Nick Cave is a guy I discovered thru this 00s poll. Fantastic songwriter and performer.

# 65

Spoon - Kill the Moonlight

Score: 1253 points

Biggest fans:
Harold Wexler #10

Haters:
Jackson #68/68, Tim E #52/53

Voters:

Comments:
If we were ranking these albums in order of coolness, then this would definitely be top 5. Britt Daniel finds a unique sound within the strictures of rock and pop, which is a testament to his writing. No. 18 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Way We Get By (11), Small Stakes () (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 84

AMF poll of 00's rank: 94

# 64

Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Score: 1257 points

Biggest fans:
nicolas #3

Haters:
Slick #100, Henry #100, Chris K. #99, VanillaFire1000 #95, John #83/91

Voters:

Comments:
I have to say it is fairly impressive to put up such a solid compilation through b-sides and unreleased tracks. That being said, Bastards is mostly boring with the exception of 2 or 3 great tracks and the other CDs are fairly repetitive. (Nassim)

I have to admit there's a lot of great stuff here, once I finally waded through it. But that's the problem, it's just too much Tom Waits for someone who is a casual fan like myself. Half as much would have been twice as good. No. 73 (Rocky Raccoon)

Place in the 2006 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 226

AMF poll of 00's rank: 284

# 63

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill

Score: 1265 points

Biggest fans:
Brad #1, Michel #8

Haters:
Slick #93, Nick #82/82, Jonathon #70/71

Voters:

Comments:
Favorite Song : Farewell (Nassim)

A sad farewell to a friend indeed. How can songs that are so well constructed sound simultaneously so fragile? No. 53 (Rocky Raccoon)

Twighlight (11), Kings Crossing (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2004 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 148

AMF poll of 00's rank: 77

# 62

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Score: 1266 points

Biggest fans:
Dan M #10

Haters:
Evan #99, Chris K. #98, Schwah #64/68, Zorg #61/65

Voters:

Comments:
The most difficult case to separate the persona from the music since Kurt Cobain but, oh God, what a delightful retro sound for such brilliant but aching songs. (Honorio)

From the great, and unfortunately biographical opening track, this is modern soul of the highest order. What strikes me is that I thought I’d known these songs all my life the first time I heard them. (Rocky Raccoon)

Rehab (9), You Know I'm No Good (10), Love is a Losing Game (11), Best Friends (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2006 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 12

AMF poll of 00's rank: 80

# 61

Burial - Untrue

Score: 1287 points

Biggest fans:
Greg #2, Jackson #2, sonofsamiam #9

Haters:
Brad #95, VanillaFire1000 #91, Michel #91, John #88/91, Jonah #74/77

Voters:

Comments:
Has a certain hypnotic quality, but only if I'm listening to it as background noise. When I listen to it attentively I start to get a little bored after awhile. No. 90 (Rocky Raccoon)

Archangel (10), UK (11.1), Raver (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 25

AMF poll of 00's rank: 55

Goddamnit, I completely forgot to participate in this.

Orphans did a good job for an album with so many haters.
if you're not a TW fan, you can't like it and it's the perfect target.

But to me it's unbelievable the number of great songs he put aside. It's not a garage sell album, it's a fucking warehouse !! Great surprises like the very politically straightforward "Road to Peace" about Israel, paving the way for "Hell Broke Luce".
And there are the spoken word songs, the fabulous Army Ants is something one should listen to.

Nice work, Petri. Really pumping them out. Only three of my hates are out so far, but at least only three of my top 20 have gone.

It's hard to explain why you like a band, because usually it all comes down to the basic emotions you feel while listening to them, and most critical essays either focus on formalism and description or they just try to justify that immediate emotional reaction by talking about the culture surrounding the music.

Why do I like Sleater-Kinney so much? Because they KICK ASS.

With One Beat I immediately thought it was awesome. The Woods took me a bit longer to warm up to. It's just noisy hard rock full of raw aggressive energy. A bunch of girls beating the hell out of their instruments and disharmonically wailing.

That's exactly why I don't really like them
Idon't like agressive music (except Slayer)

#59, #58 and #57 got almost the same score (the exactly same score is practically impossible in score system of this poll).
#59 got 1294,85
#58 1294,99
and
#57 1295,26 points.
However the gap between #59 and #58 isn't the smallest gap (it is only 0,03 points).

# 60

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Score: 1292 points

Biggest fans:
Slick #7, Nassim #8

Haters:
Midaso #99. sonofsamiam #99, Petri #98, Brad #94, Jonathon #71/71, Zorg #64/65 Greg #78/83, John #85/91

Voters:

Comments:
Might have been overhyped at first but I really can't understand the backlash that followed, it is one of the best collection of awesome riffs and chorus of the decade. We need direct, fun and silly songs as perfectly written and executed as those. Favorite Song : The View from the Afternoon (best drums of the decade) (Nassim)

Once you get best the hyperbole of it's initial release, this is a pretty good album with a unique sound and some cool swagger. But I do like choruses once in a while. No 70 (Rocky Raccoon)

A Certain Romance (9), Riot Van (10), The View from the Afternoon (10), Fake Tales of San Francisco (11), Dancing Shoes (11.1), Mardy Bum (11.1), Stiil Take You Home (11), Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But . . . (11.1), You Probably Couldn't See For the Lights But You Were Looking Straight At Me (11.2), Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured (11.3) (Henry)

Place in the 2006 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 10

AMF poll of 00's rank: 37

# 59

Bob Dylan - "Love and Theft"

Score: 1295 points

Biggest fans:
Stephan #5, Rocky Raccoon #7, Greg #9, Dan M #9

Haters:
Petri #99, VanillaFire1000 #98, Henry #96, Henrik #96, Evan #94, Romain #94, Nassim #93

Voters:

Comments:
Dylan takes a trip through Americana, and who better. His songwriting hadn't been this good in 25 years, and with his weathered voice, he sounds like Father Time himself spinning yarns down America's dusty backroads. No. 7 (Rocky Raccoon)

Mississippi (11.4), Summer Days (11.4) (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 37

AMF poll of 00's rank: 48

# 58

M.I.A. - Arular

Biggest fans:
None

Haters:
Brad #96

Voters:

Comments:
Fierce, musically and lyrically. An astonishing debut. No. 36 (Rocky Raccoon)

Bucky Done Gun (11.3), 20 Dollar (11.3), Pull Up the People () (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 33

AMF poll of 00's rank: 64

# 57

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

Biggest fans:
None

Haters:
Henrik #100, Honorio #99

Voters:

Comments:
Here is one of the worst disappointment of my music aficionado's life. On paper, it has everything I shoud like, it is supposed to be fun, eclectic, energetic… but it never meets my expectations, this mess is not enjoyable to me. (Nassim)

Bursting with energy and a great mashup of various styles. It's too bad they haven't managed to build on this very promising debut. No. 57 (Rocky Raccoon)

It's always been a favourite of mine, because it's just so FUN. Man, you can have a great time with this album. Every song feels like it's an anthem to the most exciting moment of your life. And then of course it ends with "Everyone's a VIP to Someone" which always has me on the verges of tears when the violins come in. I'm a sucker that way. (Zorg)

Panther Dash (11.2), Ladyflash (11.1), Feelgood By Numbers (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2004 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 214

AMF poll of 00's rank: 58

# 56

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Score: 1299 points

Biggest fans:
Romain #1, Slick #2

Haters:
BillAdama #100, Chris K. #93

Voters:

Comments:
Sure, the singles are great, but it has as many annoying fillers as most of the overhyped bands with great singles (see the Ting Tings, the Fratellis or Gossip) (Nassim)

Some fun tracks, namely the obvious ones, but also some that are fine but suffer a little in comparison. No. 83 (Rocky Raccoon)

Kids (11), Time to Pretend (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 75

AMF poll of 00's rank: 41

Ddiamondd
Goddamnit, I completely forgot to participate in this.

You can still submit your list of songs and I'll include it to the results.

And again the biggest supporters of "no-fans" albums:

My Morning Jacket - Z (BillAdama #12)

Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica (Evan #12)

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest (Chris K. #17, Evan #17)

M.I.A. - Arular (Dan M #11)

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike (SuperFurry #15)

Great comment on Love and Theft Rocky! And of course it's way too low.

Stephan

Thanks. It was too low.

# 55

The National - Alligator

Score: 1303 points

Biggest fans:
Stephan #7

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
Some good stuff here, but mainly just promise that would come to fruition on "The Boxer." No. 85 (Rocky Raccoon)

Abel (11.2), Secret Meeting (11.2), Baby We'll Be Fine (11.3) (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 78

AMF poll of 00's rank: 71

# 54

Sufjan Stevens - Michigan

Score: 1305 points

Biggest fans:
None

Haters:
Slick #95, beefsupreme #75/76

Voters:

Comments:
Michigan is not able to attain the same constant high quality of Illinois, but it shows obvious hints of the huge artist he was destined to become. Favorite song : For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fathers in Ypsilanti (Nassim)

Beautifully quiet, sometimes a little too quiet, but a good prelude to Illinois. No. 62 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Upper Peninsula (9) (Henry)

Place in the 2003 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 190

AMF poll of 00's rank: 74

# 53

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

Score: 1310 points

Biggest fans:
Tim E #3

Haters:
Stephan #98, Henry #95, Dan M #94, Slick #94, Honorio #92, Romain #91

Voters:

Comments:
Heavier and denser than any album they'd made before. It's a guitar album first and foremost, and one that helps them join the ranks of other Seattle guitar heroes such as Hendrix and Cobain. No. 17 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Fox (11.9), Wilderness (11.6) (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 115

AMF poll of 00's rank: 44

# 52

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

Score: 1327 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #9

Haters:
Greg #77/83

Voters:

Comments:
I'm not a big fan of dance or electronic music, but when it's so successfully infused with a plethora of other styles, I can't help but be impressed. No. 41 (Rocky Raccoon)

Tribulations (7), Daft Punk Is Playing At My House (11), (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 47

AMF poll of 00's rank: 50

# 51

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Score: 1342 points

Biggest fans:
Brad #9

Haters:
Henry #92, Gillingham #30/31, Schwah #66/68

Voters:

Comments:
Everyone wanted the indie gold medal in the 00s but The Shins were probably the ones who deserved it more because of their bittersweet and understated hymns. (Honorio)

I'm a sucker for brilliantly constructed pop songs with oodles of melody. This album has those in spades. Add in some great lyrics and you have an album that has been in frequent rotation on my player since the day it came out. No. 12 (Rocky Raccoon)

Kissing the Lipless (11), Mine's Not A High Horse (11.2), So Says I (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2003 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 51

AMF poll of 00's rank: 78

Michigan is second highest #10 of it's year in the final list. So one #10 made to top 50 (and it's my favorite of those by the way). So #54 seems like pretty good rank. Still when Illinois is so beloved among the critics and us AM forumers (and everybody has heard it) I found it bit suprising that Michigan isn't in top 50 and especially I find it strange that so few people have listened to (or at least ranked) the album. Only four albums have less voters (Visiter, Stay Positive, Orphans and one that has not shown yet).

Michigan was also the highest album in the list that didn't have any top 10 voters (well nicolas and Henrik put it at #11).

I continue the presentation tomorrow.

Don't forget the guessing thread.
So guess and look what other people have guessed about the forthcoming results.

A Rush of Diarrhea to the Bowel hasn't appeared yet?

I listened to that album and Parachutes specifically to hurt their ranking. My God are they horrible!

Man, I have a lot to catch up with commentary-wise. I'll get to a few of them I think.

Nick Cave's other album is the only one in my bottom 10 that hasn't shown up yet. That doesn't bother me much; I get the appeal, but it's not for me.

The Moon & Antarctica should be MUCH higher, but I've accepted at this point that the forum doesn't care much for Modest Mouse.

Petri

I forgot to put beefsupreme's hates and loves. He's also a hater of Hospice by Antlers (#73/76).

Yes! Thanks, fuck that album also I'm a lover of THE WOODS by SLEATER-KINNEY (my #2).

My high Decemberist vote was a little bit of strategic voting: I actually consider Crane Wife to be the 5th best Decemberist album (not bad by any means, like the Hazards of Love, but a step below their first 3 and King is Dead) but none of my favorites made it onto the ballot. They are may favorite band of the decade, and deserve all the praise they get.

Petri
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

Haters:
Henrik #100, Honorio #99

Every song feels like it's an anthem to the most exciting moment of your life. (Zorg)
The H duo strikes again! Sadly our lives are without exciting moments...

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black (at #62) did a little better than I thought it would. Spot on comments about the album, Honorio and Rocky Raccoon.

Michigan is a great record, overshadowed buy Illinois but way better than many best albums oby other indie bands/songwriters.
Just because it is less good than its follower is not a reason for not listening to it (same for the second Fleet Foxes). It should be sold as a double CD with Illinois.

beefsupreme
Petri

I forgot to put beefsupreme's hates and loves. He's also a hater of Hospice by Antlers (#73/76).

Yes! Thanks, fuck that album also I'm a lover of THE WOODS by SLEATER-KINNEY (my #2).

Yes that's correct. Looks like I put S-K-albums in wrong order in your list (didn't change the order of that band from text file (all the others I did)).
Thanksfully both of the S-K albums were high in your list so that doesn't change the results much. Only change (outside top 50) is that LCD Soundsystem and The Woods switch places (The score of The Woods is 1341,77 and Chutes too Narrow's score is 1342,12) (One Beat dropped nine positions but is still steadily in top 50).

So here are #53 and #52 in right order.

# 53

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

Score: 1327 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #9

Haters:
Greg #77/83

Voters:

Comments:
I'm not a big fan of dance or electronic music, but when it's so successfully infused with a plethora of other styles, I can't help but be impressed. No. 41 (Rocky Raccoon)

Tribulations (7), Daft Punk Is Playing At My House (11), (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 47

AMF poll of 00's rank: 50

# 52

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

Score: 1342 points

Biggest fans:
beefsupreme #2, Tim E #3

Haters:
Stephan #98, Henry #95, Dan M #94, Slick #94, Honorio #92, Romain #91

Voters:

Comments:
Heavier and denser than any album they'd made before. It's a guitar album first and foremost, and one that helps them join the ranks of other Seattle guitar heroes such as Hendrix and Cobain. No. 17 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Fox (11.9), Wilderness (11.6) (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 115

AMF poll of 00's rank: 44

# 50

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Score: 1345 points

Biggest fans:
Brad #2, SuperFurry #2, Petri #10, Jonah #10

Haters:
Midaso #96, Henrik #93, Henry #91, John #84/91

Voters:

Comments:
Sometimes background noise is just that. But in this case it actually rewards active listening as well. The highest ranked album on my ballot that I didn't initially vote for, but that could change next time around. No. 67 (Rocky Raccoon)

(Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 67

AMF poll of 00's rank: 68

# 49

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Score: 1348 points

Biggest fans:
Henry #7, Miguel #8

Haters:
Jonathon #67/71

Voters:

Comments:
Favorite Song : No Cars Go (Nassim)

At first, I wasn't that impressed with this album. But it grown on my considerably over time. It's not of a piece like Funeral, but there are still standout songs with all the drama of the debut. No. 30 (Rocky Raccoon)

Keep the Car Running ( , No Cars Go (10), Intervention (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 45

AMF poll of 00's rank: 33

# 48

Fever Ray - Fever Ray

Score: 1355 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #2, Zorg #3, Nassim #9, Chris #10

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #98, Dan M #93, nicolas #92, Honorio #91, Nick #80/82

Voters:

Comments:
Silent Shout was a schzisophrenic album, Fever Ray might be more depressed or paranoid. But it keeps the same qualities, even topping Silent Shout at times, to make another wonderful album. Favorite Song : I'm Not Done (Nassim)

Two questions: People listen to this for entertainment purposes? Why? No. 98 (Rocky Raccoon)

A really great album, sounds like very few others in this top 100. Is there really any better closing song than Coconut? (Zorg)

I'm Not Done (11), Keep The Streets Empty For Me (11), Now's the Only Time I Know (11), Seven (11), When I Grow Up (11), Coconut (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2009 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 106

AMF poll of 00's rank: 66

# 47

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Score: 1357 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam #3, Romain #6, Stephan #8

Haters:
Tim E #50/53, nicolas #95

Voters:

Comments:
A good followup to their eponymous debut and one of my favorite albums by cartoon characters. No. 64 (Rocky Raccoon)

DARE (11), Kids With Guns (11), Dirty Harry (11.1), Feel Good Inc. (11.3), (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 88

AMF poll of 00's rank: 40

# 46

The Streets - Original Pirate Material

Score: 1359 points

Biggest fans:
Beefsupreme #4

Haters:
Slick #99, Romain #98, VanillaFire1000 #96, Petri #91, Zorg #60/65

Voters:

Comments:
Here is an album where I strongly dislike the acclaimed songs (at least Weak Become Heroes and Has it Come to This), but like the rest. Still, it must have been a breath of fresh air to see an average normal boy rise into hip-hop, a genre too often limited to clichés. Favorite Song : Turn the Page (Nassim)

The title says it all. No. 25 (Rocky Raccoon)

Let's Push Things Forward (11.2), Weak Become Heroes (11.3) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 17

AMF poll of 00's rank: 29

Stephan

The rank of Love and Theft is too damn high !
Really, I have learnt to like some of Dylan's albums from the 60s but here I felt that the lack of effort and imagination in the music was more than annoying. I don't care if he writes great lyrics if he gets that lazy on the music side.

For "From a Basement on the Hill", I don't know why I typed "Farewell", my favorite song in there is clearly "Twilight".
Maybe I did not want to put "favorite" and "Twilight" in the same sentence

Spoon - Kill the Moonlight (#47) : the constant quality of Spoon's outputs is pretty impressive, still I feel that while all their album are good, at times very good, none are really great. Kill the Moonlight might indeed be their best, at the same times very engaging and quite ambitious, and "The Way we Get By" is a wonderful anthem with one of my favorite piano line, as simple as it might be.

Nassim
The rank of Love and Theft is too damn high !... I felt that the lack of effort and imagination in the music was more than annoying. I don't care if he writes great lyrics if he gets that lazy on the music side.

Considering the breadth of American genres on the album (country, rockabilly, ragtime, vaudeville, blues, jazz, swing) it was one of Dylan's most ambitious and imaginative albums. If you said you didn't like his voice or you thought the songs went on for too long, then I could understand it. But there really wasn't a "lack of effort" or laziness musically. If you like these American genres, there are an abundance of treats on the album.

# 45

Primal Scream - Xtrmntr

Score: 1365 points

Biggest fans:
Jackson #3, Tim E #4, sonofsamiam #6

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #99, Nassim #96, Harold Wexler #96, Henrik #95

Voters:

Comments:
XTRMNTR has an awesome opener, but that's almost the only think I remotely enjoy in it. (Nassim)

They sound like a bunch of wankers. But at least they've got balls, which is why Cut Copy edged them out for No. 100 -- or as I call it, the King Crimson Memorial Spot. (Rocky Raccoon)

Accelerator (11.2), Kill All Hippies (11.3) (Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 59

AMF poll of 00's rank: 42

# 44

Sleater-Kinney - One Beat

Score: 1370 points

Biggest fans:
John #3, Jackson #5, Tim E #8, Rocky Raccoon #8, sonofsamiam #10

Haters:
Dan M #100, Henry #99, Honorio #96, Petri #94, Romain #93, Jonathon #66/71

Voters:

Comments:
Sometimes it can be harsh, but harsh times called for harsh music from these indie goddesses. With a mix of confusion, anger and defiance, they look at their place in a world radically changed by 9/11. No 8 (Rocky Raccoon)

A VERY new find, but wow it's great. They seriously rock hard. Prisstina is a grrreat song. (Zorg)

One Beat (11.7), Faraway (11.6) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 167

AMF poll of 00's rank: 54

# 43

Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Score: 1371 points

Biggest fans:
Tim E #1, Miguel #3

Haters:
Nassim #95

Voters:

Comments:
90s Belle and Sebastian are full of some old charm and beautiful melodies. 00s Belle and Sebastian are just plain boring. (Nassim)

What I like best about this album is how the songs stand out from each other but also seem part of a whole. Possibly my favorite album of theirs. No. 31 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Blues are Still Blue (10), We Are the Sleepyheads, Funny Little Frog (11), White Collar Boy (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2006 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 147

AMF poll of 00's rank: 95

# 42

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Score: 1377 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #3, Brad #5

Haters:
VanillaFire1000 #100, Stephan #96, Miguel #46/46, Jonathon #68/71

Voters:

Comments:
They found a near-perfect balance between the actual songs of The Bends and OK Computer, and the soundscaping of Kid A and Amnesiac. No. 26 (Rocky Raccoon)

Punch Up At a Wedding (11), Scatterbrain (11), There There (11), (Henry)

Place in the 2003 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 63

AMF poll of 00's rank: 16

# 41

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Score: 1379 points

Biggest fans:
Greg #1

Haters:
SuperFurry #100, Brad #100, Jackson #67/68

Voters:

Comments:
Insolent, provocative, bigmouth, inconvenient. Pop music needs periodically a provocateur to shake its foundations, and Eminem did it with sheer brilliance. (Honorio)

What makes this unique in hip-hop is how emotionally exposed it is. Even when Eminem is spitting vitriol, you can sense how cathartic it is for him. And most of his targets deserve it. No. 24 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Real Slim Shady (11), The Way I Am (11), Stan (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 14

AMF poll of 00's rank: 32

Dan M
Nassim
The rank of Love and Theft is too damn high !... I felt that the lack of effort and imagination in the music was more than annoying. I don't care if he writes great lyrics if he gets that lazy on the music side.

Considering the breadth of American genres on the album (country, rockabilly, ragtime, vaudeville, blues, jazz, swing) it was one of Dylan's most ambitious and imaginative albums. If you said you didn't like his voice or you thought the songs went on for too long, then I could understand it. But there really wasn't a "lack of effort" or laziness musically. If you like these American genres, there are an abundance of treats on the album.

I felt that he just took, for each song, a standard melody of one genre and did not make any effort to either make it evolve through the song or bring more harmonies and instruments as he goes along. Granted, the songs are quite different from one another, but I don't hear them any different from any standard song of the genres they take their inspiration from.

I just want to say thanks to Rocky Raccoon for taking the time to write comments (great ones too) to each album.

Henrik
I just want to say thanks to Rocky Raccoon for taking the time to write comments (great ones too) to each album.

The presentation looks also much better when there is always some wise and/or fun (XTRMNTR was very high on my list but I found the comment very funny after all) thoughts about the album. So thanks again Rocky Raccoon for comments (and of course all the others who have commented the albums).

Back to list:
The gap between Amnesiac and Marshall Mathers LP was 0,18 points.

# 40

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Score: 1379 points

Biggest fans:
Henrik #3, Zorg #7, Gillingham #10

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #91, Miguel #43/46

Voters:

Comments:
As much as the band protests that this album isn't just a bunch of leftovers from Kid A, it sure as hell sounds like it to me. Not necessarily a bad thing considering the former album is great. I somewhat affectionately refer t it as Kid B, but the more I listen to I want to call it Kid B-. No. 91 (Rocky Raccoon)

Pyramid Song (9), I might be wrong (11), Knives Out (11.9), (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 46

AMF poll of 00's rank: 20

# 39

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

Score: 1383 points

Biggest fans:
Stephan #2, Henry #4, Chris K. #8, Miguel #10

Haters:
Brad #97, sonofsamiam #94, BillAdama #93, Petri #93, Moonbeam #45/45

Voters:

Comments:
Big, bold and beautiful. It's going to get bashed here, and I can understand that about most stuff they've done since, but this is has some massive songs. No. 55 (Rocky Raccoon)

Clocks (7), In My Place ( , The Scientist ( , Green Eyes (10), A Rush of Blood to the Head (10), Amsterdam (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 31

AMF poll of 00's rank: 38

# 38

Brian Wilson - Smile

Score: 1392 points

Biggest fans:
Miguel #2, Greg #5, Stephan #6, Honorio #6, Midaso #10

Haters:
Romain #92, SuperFurry #91

Voters:

Comments:
The most famous "lost" album in pop history became a "found" album in 2004. The album designed to be the big step forward for pop music at the end it was "only" a collection of good songs, of pop miniatures masterly crafted and brilliantly sequenced. Finally the mystery was revealed, with an only final doubt: what could have happened if it has been released in 1967? (Honorio)

SMiLE arranged the way it was supposed to be, and what a record it would have been. The genious here is how these songs sound reinvented because of Wilson coming at them from an older, wiser, more experienced, and hopefully less crazy, vantage point. It's like he's covering himself almost 40 years later. No. 15 (Rocky Raccoon)

Surf's Up (10), Heroes and Villians (11), Wind Chimes (11.4) (Henry)

Place in the 2004 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 61

AMF poll of 00's rank: 28

# 37

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus

Score: 1394 points

Biggest fans:
Gillingham #5, Greg #7

Haters:
Slick #98, Evan #97, VanillaFire1000 #94

Voters:

Comments:
I thought Modest Mouse's albums would remain my favorite discovery of the poll, but Nick Cave unsuspectedly made a brilliant entry in my top 20. I hate Grinderman, dislike Dig Lazarus Dig and don't care much about The Boatman's Call, so I did not except such a great blend of blues and rock. Killer hooks, brilliant arrangements, stunning riffs, fantastic lyrics, almost no fillers... My "coup de coeur" of the poll. Favorite Song : Cannibal's Hymn (latest entry in my 3/4 songs pantheon) (Nassim)

My favorite Cave album, which isn't necessarily saying much since I'm not a big fan, but if this was his only album, I might be. No. 71 (Rocky Raccoon)

There She Goes, My Beautiful World (11), Nature Boy (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2004 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 80

AMF poll of 00's rank: 65

# 36

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Score: 1395 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam #5, Romain #9, Tim E #10

Haters:
Midaso #95, Gillingham #31/31, Greg #79/83

Voters:

Comments:
Post-punk influences set the frame for a band that during its first year was an unstoppable machine of making splendid hits and incendiary live shows. (Honorio)

The coolest kids in Scotland with some Germanic flavor. Who knew that combination would work? No. 28 (Rocky Raccoon)

Take Me Out (6), Matinee (11), Michael (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2004 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 16

AMF poll of 00's rank: 27

One Beat was very divisive! 5 fans and 6 haters. Very surprised Coldplay was so high. I haven't heard the album myself, but having heard the hate which is spat out towards it, it's done very well for itself.

What years are doing the best so far?

Zorg

What years are doing the best so far?

I don't know if this information would spoil fun of some forumers so I replied to your question here.

A Rush of Blood to the Head so high is disgusting!

Here's my recipe for Coldplay Cake:

Ingredients:

100 tablespoons U2 extract
50 tablespoons Radiohead essence
50 tablespoons Sigur Rós coloring
2 large packets of gluten free Ener-G Egg Replacer
100 g Nutrasweet
200 g Polenta
10 L water

Instructions:

Preheat oven to the lowest possible temperature. Mix Ener-G Egg Replacer, Nutrasweet, Polenta and the U2, Radiohead and Sigur Rós flavorings if feeling daring into a large vat. Incrementally add water 1 liter at a time. Stir vigorlessly until frothy. Bake in oven for days, weeks, months even (!) until a beige crust forms. Serve at room temperature.

# 35

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Score: 1398 points

Biggest fans:
Chris #1 , Schwah #8

Haters:
Nicolas #99, Evan #93, Jonah #75/77

Voters:

Comments:
A good winter. Isolated in a cabin surrounded by snow and wolves, Justin Vernon found a place to lick his wounds and doing this deliver a highly emotional album. (Honorio)

I'm not big on critic's having ulterior motives to their printed opinions like a lot of people on here seem to be, but I swear a lot of critics creamed their shorts more about how this album was made rather than the actual music on it. I find it to be above-average indie folk. No. 81 (Rocky Raccoon)

Flume (11.1), Creature Fear (11.2), Lump Sum (11.2), RE: Stacks (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 34

AMF poll of 00's rank: 59

# 34

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World

Score: 1406 points

Biggest fans:
Brad #3, Miguel #4, Honorio #7, Schwah #10

Haters:
Michel #98, Rocky Raccoon #97, Nassim #91

Voters:

Comments:
During a decade when British bands finally lose their battle against American bands (both in indie and mainstream terms), this band from Wales released an album that kept intact my faith in good English pop, displaying a multicoloured sound including Wilson or McCartney pop style (the latter is featured as a collaborator) but also folk, prog-rock, punk or electronica. (Honorio)

It just sounds like below average indie rock to me. No. 97 (Rocky Raccoon)

Juxtaposed with You (10), Happiness Is A Warm Pun (10), (Drawing) Rings Around The World (11.1), Alternative Route To Vulcan Street (11.2), Sidewalk Serfer Girl (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 182

AMF poll of 00's rank: 123

# 33

Portishead - Third

Score: 1408 points

Biggest fans:
BillAdama #5, Gillingham #8, Jackson #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
We reach the first one I voted for. I think it was No. 19 in 2008. They’re great at creating an coherent atmosphere with their songs, and there’s a lot of good stuff here. I still find it to be a little overrated, though. No. 75 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Rip (11), Machine Gun (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2008 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 29

AMF poll of 00's rank: 34

# 32

Jay-Z - The Blueprint

Score: 1412 points

Biggest fans:
sonofsamiam #1, Jonathon #5

Haters:
Henrik #98, Romain #97, Petri #95, Chris K. #91, Jonah #71/77

Voters:

Comments:
I actually like the Black Album better, but this one is great too and seems more singular in purpose. No. 46 (Rocky Raccoon)

Jay-Z is a great artist, and with the production of Kanye West, The Blueprint is an absolute tour-de-force. I'm sure I've listened to Renegade more than 20 times in the last couple of weeks. (Zorg)

Blueprint (Momma Loves Me) (11), The Ruler's Back (11.2), Izzo (H.O.V.A.) (11.2), Jigga That Nigga (11.3), Never Change (11.3) (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 13

AMF poll of 00's rank: 31

# 31

Björk - Vespertine

Score: 1413 points

Biggest fans:
Moonbeam #1, Henrik #2, Romain #7, Tim E # 9, Honorio #9

Haters:
VanillaFire1000 #92

Voters:

Comments:
Like the cocoon of the second song on the album, a thick tangle of sweet-sounding music boxes, celestas and harps, sprinkled by electronic noises (those clicks and cuts so trendy then) and classical touches (strings and choirs) and crowned by the most intimate Björk vocals ever, wraps you up completely with its frozen warmth and leaves you lost into its beauty. (Honorio)

One of the best things about Bjork is that you never know what to expect when she releases a new album. She may not always succeed with what she's trying, but she's never standing still. This is one example of when she did succeed. No. 42 (Rocky Raccoon)

Harm of Will (11), Heirloom (11), Frosti (11.1), Sun In My Mouth (11.1), Pagan Poetry (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 50

AMF poll of 00's rank: 30

Hm. I expected College Dropout to do really well (The Kanye album that actually deserves some of its praise), but not Late Registration. That one is like the production style of Puff Daddy with the politics of Bono. (I like MBDTF way better than Late Registration.) And the idea that it's doing better than The Blueprint and Marshal Mathers...

Most of my favorites are still in. I'm pleasantly surprised to see XTRMNTR finish that high. Might have liked S-K and Ys to do a little better. Mostly good results so far.

BillAdama
Hm. I expected College Dropout to do really well (The Kanye album that actually deserves some of its praise), but not Late Registration. That one is like the production style of Puff Daddy with the politics of Bono. (I like MBDTF way better than Late Registration.) And the idea that it's doing better than The Blueprint and Marshal Mathers...

The (quite) good rank of Late Registration (and beating Blueprint and Marshall Mathers) was a little surprise to me as well (but not in a bad way).

In the next group of five will be the lowest #1 of it's year.

Big surprise to see Bon Iver show up so soon, or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Moonbeam
A Rush of Blood to the Head so high is

Just fine with me. I agree with Rocky Raccoon's comment - while I'm not much of a fan of what they've done since (the "bigger" they get, the blander they become), I think ARoBttH is a great - and brilliantly sequenced - album. And "Amsterdam" is one of my favorite closing tracks ever.

Super Furry Animals in the top 40 is the biggest surprise for me so far (and not in a bad way).

# 30

Kanye West - Late Registration

Score: 1416 points

Biggest fans:
Harold Wexler #7, sonofsamiam #7, Zorg #9

Haters:
BillAdama #99, Romain #96, SuperFurry #93, Henrik #92, Jackson #64/68

Voters:

Comments:
Almost as good as The College Dropout, but a couple of weaker tracks hold it back. No. 72 (Rocky Raccoon)

Gold Digger (11.1), Gone (11.4), Heard 'Em Say (11.4) (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 54

AMF poll of 00's rank: 45

# 29

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now

Score: 1422 points

Biggest fans:
Nicolas #5, Petri #5, Romain #5

Haters:
Nassim #100, Chris K. #94, Slick #91, beefsupreme #76/76, Jackson #65/68

Voters:

Comments:
The aching throats of pre-rock divas like Edith Piaf or Billie Holiday and the decadence of the ladyboys of the Warhol Factory in the same person. (Honorio)

I had hope given the quality of the opener of this album but I really can not stand Antony's voice here. Falsetto is already often a drawback, but that much vibrato is moOoOoOoOoOore than I could stAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAnd. Just sing Antony, like in Hercules in Love Affair, and then I will find you awesome (Blind and Time Will really are !) (Nassim)

Intensly personal, you don't feel like there's any kind of filter between you and Antony's emotions. There's no doubt this is an acquired taste, but it's one I acquired on first listen. No. 35 (Rocky Raccoon)

Hope There's Someone (11.3), My Lady Story (11.5), For Today I Am A Boy (11.5), Man Is The Baby (11.5) (Henry)

Place in the 2005 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 19

AMF poll of 00's rank: 35

# 28

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Score: 1430 points

Biggest fans:
Dan M #4, Chris K. #4, Evan #9

Haters:
Stephan #97, Michel #93, nicolas #91, John #91/91, Jackson #66/68, beefsupreme #71/76

Voters:

Comments:
I've tried numerous times to like this one better than I do, but I can't quite get over the hump with it. Although I think it's very good, I also think its variations on a theme get a little too samey after a while. But it is my favorite AC album. No. 59 (Rocky Raccoon)

My Girls (10), Brother Sport (11), Lion In a Coma (11), Summertime Clothes (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2009 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 8

AMF poll of 00's rank: 13

# 27

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Score: 1473 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #6, Gillingham #9

Haters:
Nicolas #98

Voters:

Comments:
"I was a lover before this war." That phrase just seems to perfectly describe the mood of this album for me. I think the last couple of tracks are a little sub-par, but before that it's all brilliant. No. 40 (Rocky Raccoon)

Wolf Like Me (11), I Was a Lover (11.3), Playhouses () (Henry)

Place in the 2006 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 30

AMF poll of 00's rank: 19

# 26

Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights

Score: 1473 points

Biggest fans:
Michel #4, Zorg #4, SuperFurry #9

Haters:
Midaso #98, Rocky Raccoon #96

Voters:

Comments:
I find it too derivative and gloomy to make any sort of connection. I like their second album, which I voted for, much better because they brighten up a bit and forge more of their own identity. No. 96 (Rocky Raccoon)

An album of such flow, it just feels like from the first guitars of "Untitled" to the close of "Leif Erikson" you've been on one amazing journey from the dirt of "Roland" to the calm of "PDA" to the longing of "Stella was a diver". Every song really holds its weight, which is why it manages to hold the lofty position of fourth on my list. (Zorg)

PDA (10), Untitled (11), NYC (11), Stella Was a Diver and She Was Always Down (11), Obstacle (11), (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 24

AMF poll of 00's rank: 14

#1 of 2006 is out but we still have one album left from 2006.

Group of very interesting and different albums just missed top 20.

# 25

The xx - XX

Score: 1482 points

Biggest fans:
Henrik #5, Evan #10, Nassim #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
Moonbeam once said that "it sounds like they've just discovered love for the first time and are confessing it in a hush as if it's some sacred secret", I would replace "love" by "80s" and it still got sense. (Honorio)

The heartbeat of a relationship is told on this subtly engrossing album. Sometimes it's too subtle, but I think that's partly the point. I just wish they'd let loose a couple of times. No. 54 (Rocky Raccoon)

Night Time (10), Crystalised (11), Intro (11), VCR (11.1), Infiinity (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2009 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 58

AMF poll of 00's rank: 51

# 24

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Score: 1487 points

Biggest fans:
Jackson #1, Midaso #1, Nick #7, VanillaFire1000 #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
It might be slightly overlong, but this is one of the most fantastic trip of the decade through a brand new world of wonder. Most sampling albums are either just directed toward the performance in the worst case and the fun in the best (for 2 Many DJ's and Girl Talk especially, who, as talented as they are technically, do not choose to brag through their music), but here it is something else, a patchwork living all by itself to create new tales and adventures. Favorite Song : Frontier Psychiatrist (Nassim)

Wholly unique. Maybe part of the reason they haven't released another album is because they don't want to repeat this one but can't think of a direction to go that would be as original. No. 44 (Rocky Raccoon)

Since I Left You (11.1), Frontier Pstchiatrist (11.5) (Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 44

AMF poll of 00's rank: 23

# 23

M.I.A. - Kala

Score: 1490 points

Biggest fans:
Chris #3, Rocky Raccoon #6, beefsupreme #9, Zorg #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
The debut was great, and this is even better. What makes it better? Two things: the diversity of the songs as M.I.A. goes globe-trotting and finds inspiration in every corner of the world, and a little song called "Paper Planes." No. 6 (Rocky Raccoon)

Paper Planes (10), Jimmy (11), Boyz (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 26

AMF poll of 00's rank: 21

# 22

OutKast - Speakerboxxx / The Love Below

Score: 1545 points

Biggest fans:
Chris #2, Dan M #6, nicolas #6, Honorio #8, Harold Wexler #9

Haters:
Midaso #93

Voters:

Comments:
A double CD with two solo albums was the 2003 Outkast album. Big Boi stayed true to hip-hop with his "Speakerboxxx" but the real gem was André 3000's album "The Love Below", an adventurous journey through the best black music of the last decades, from Coltrane to Public Enemy, from Stevie Wonder to Prince but showcasing a strong personality of its own. (Honorio)

Favorite Song : years have passed, and despite all the chatter about the Love Below's creativity, genius and so, it is Speakerboxxx which rise as a masterpiece. Both have been topped, Big Boi making a wonderful Sir Luscious Left Food and Janelle Monae beating Andre3000 in the "new Prince" category, but Speakerboxxx already had all the qualities of the son of Chico Dusty, with brilliant verses (the Rooster), guests at their best (Flip Flop Rock) and samples from out of nowhere (Ghetto Musik) while the Love Below, aside from its 5 or 6 wonderful tracks (Hey Ya, Roses, Happy Valentine's Day, She Lives in my Laps...) has its loads of fillers and annoying skits. (Nassim)

Andre's side has the best songs, but Big Boi's side is more consistenly good. It was the hit that Stankonia deserved to be, but it deserves its props. No. 49 (Rocky Raccoon)

Hey Ya ( , The Way You Move (10) (Henry)

Place in the 2003 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 21

AMF poll of 00's rank: 26

# 21

The Knife - Silent Shout

Score: 1546 points

Biggest fans:
BillAdama #3, Nassim #4, Henrik #4, Michel #7, Jonah #8, Petri #8, Chris #8

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #93

Voters:

Comments:
I will more or less repeat what I said in my review of the album (see here : http://www.indiepoprock.fr/review.php?id=2747 ), this album is a schizophrenic one : made for the brain as much as for the legs, ambitious but welcoming, catchy and eerie, strange but endearing... The more a song goes on, the more you can both feel a threat above your head and a need to dance. I don't know many albums where the music, in terms of melodies, choice of instruments and production tricks, fits the themes that much, Silent Shout is like a self-restrained scream, Forest Family builds up like an anger condemned to be suppressed, Na Na Na hides sheer madness and I'm pretty confident that most of the choices of the sounds of One Hit are very meaningful (I could develop on this one if needed). It does not keep most songs from being direct and catchy, Like a Pen could become your new workout track for instance. It is the catchiness of the melodies that matters most, and it is the best strength of this album, but it does not hurt that it has so many other qualities. Favorite Song : Silent Shout (Nassim)

I can hear why some people like this record, I'm just not one of them. Not bad, but not good. No. 93 (Rocky Raccoon)

. Silent Shout (10), We Share Our Mother's Health (11.1), Neverland (11.5), Forest Families (), Marble House () (Henry)

Place in the 2006 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 35

AMF poll of 00's rank: 18

Yes, this is where it gets interesting. Where we have gotten rid of all the samey indie rock stuff, ha ha.

Henry what is the meaning/scale of your ratings ? We were just wondering with Greg

Hope listening to all this indie stuff was too much of a trial

I realize I don't feel very involved in the 00s, well not in these 00s

This is probably the decade in which my tastes differ the most from the forum's

Wow, huge gap between #22 and #23. Biggest gap since the very beginning I think.

nicolas
Henry what is the meaning/scale of your ratings ? We were just wondering with Greg

That really looks very interesting. The smaller the score is the better the song is (but nothing is better than 6)?

And yes the gap between #22 and #23 is the biggest since the start.

From now on I release the albums in smaller parts. And I won't release albums for some hours because it's time for music quiz (in one bar). I hope our team will win tonight.

# 20

The National - Boxer

Score: 1554 points

Biggest fans:
Stephan #1, Gillingham #2, Evan #8, Midaso #9

Haters:
Greg #78/83, Brad #92

Voters:

Comments:
This one was a real grower. No. 45 (Rocky Raccoon)

Fake Empire (10), Ada (11), Mistaken for Strangers (11.2) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 42

AMF poll of 00's rank: 36

# 19

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Score: 1556 points

Biggest fans:
Nassim #1, beefsupreme #3, Greg #4, Evan #7

Haters:
BillAdama #94, Midaso #94, Stephan #92

Voters:

Comments:
Accurate title. (Stephan)

My favorite album of the decade encapsulates what I want rock'n'roll to be : ambitious, fun, catchy, sexy, witty, deep, rich, unstoppable… It does not spoil anything that it units great musicians at the top of their game, especially Dave Grohl who is amazing from the start to the end, especially in the intro of A Song for the Dead and in the solo of No One Knows. Lots of great song, but my favorite by far, favorite song of the decade in fact, is A Song for the Deaf (Nassim)

One of the great hard rock albums of the decade, or any decade for that matter. What makes it so good is the quality and variety of the songwriting. No. 37 (Rocky Raccoon)

No One Knows (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 23

AMF poll of 00's rank: 22

# 18

PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea

Score: 1601 points

Biggest fans:
Rocky Raccoon #3, SuperFurry #5, Scwah #9, Greg #10, Moonbeam #10

Haters:
Nassim #92, Jonah #77/77

Voters:

Comments:
PJ has at least a masterpiece for every decade, these "Stories" from the 00s showed a PJ more mature, direct, personal, vulnerable, stylish and... sexy. (Honorio)

Harvey’s New York romance is as much about the city as it is the man in her life. Inspired by both, she made some of the simplest-yet-beautiful rock music of her career. With heavy thumping guitars backing her, Harvey sums it up as, “I can’t believe life’s so complex / When I just want to sit here and watch you undress.” No. 3 (Rocky Raccoon)

This Mess We're In (10), One Line (11), Good Fortune (11.1), Beautiful Feeling (11.4), (Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 28

AMF poll of 00's rank: 53

Petri
Henrik

The presentation looks also much better when there is always some wise and/or fun (XTRMNTR was very high on my list but I found the comment very funny after all) thoughts about the album. So thanks again Rocky Raccoon for comments (and of course all the others who have commented the albums).

Thanks, guys. It was fun although time consuming to do. Hopefully they provide a little bit of entertainment. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to make comments on songs.

I completely agree with RockyRaccoon on Rings Around the World, did not get the appeal at all.
I also second his comment on Late Registration, Third and Return to Cookie Mountain.

About MPP, I really think it only is AC's third best album. It does not have the strange beauty of Feels nor the direct fun of Strawberry Jam for me.
And I could copy your comment about Silent Shout and use it about PJ (not just this album, her whole discography).

In fact, the albums were we don't agree are those I sent comments for
And I'm kinda jealous of some of your comments, you sell your opinion better than I do.

Petri, I sent a list of comments for the songs to your email. I hope it's not too late.

nicolas

The numbers are my enjoyability rating for the song.
1 is the best (5.0 on RYM)
6 is very good, but not one of my all time faves (@ 4.2 on RYM)
9 is @ 3.5 on RYM
11 is reasonably enjoyable and @ 3.0 on RYM
11.4 is a balance point where I either find the song acceptable to listen to, or believe that it may be a grower even if I don't yet enjoy it (@ 2.5 on RYM).
11.9 means that I do not care for the song (@1.5 on RYM)
12 or higher means that I likely will not listen to the entire song because I find it to be so annoying (@1.0 on RYM)

Nassim
I completely agree with RockyRaccoon on Rings Around the World, did not get the appeal at all.
I also second his comment on Late Registration, Third and Return to Cookie Mountain.

About MPP, I really think it only is AC's third best album. It does not have the strange beauty of Feels nor the direct fun of Strawberry Jam for me.
And I could copy your comment about Silent Shout and use it about PJ (not just this album, her whole discography).

In fact, the albums were we don't agree are those I sent comments for
And I'm kinda jealous of some of your comments, you sell your opinion better than I do.

Cool, I've been enjoying your comments and those from others as well.

Henry, that is one weird scale!

What about the songs you haven't listed, are they always worse than the listed ones? If so, I now know for sure that this isn't your decade...

Henrik
Henry, that is one weird scale!

What about the songs you haven't listed, are they always worse than the listed ones? If so, I now know for sure that this isn't your decade...

Yes, it is a weird scale.

Typically, the songs that I listed in the comments are the songs that I thought were the best on the corresponding album. But, there are many songs that I have not heard enough times to believe that my present rating will endure.

The aughts was not my favorite decade for music. But, there were plenty of songs that I rated 11 or better, so it was still plenty of fun.

Evan
Petri, I sent a list of comments for the songs to your email. I hope it's not too late.

Thanks for the comments Evan. It's not too late.

# 17

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Score: 1609 points

Biggest fans:
Sonofsamiam #2, Schwah #4, Jackson #6, Petri #6, John #8

Haters:
Chris #51/56

Voters:

Comments:
Their lightest and funkiest set, and on a song-for-song basis I think their best. The cover's cool, too. No. 20 (Rocky Raccoon)

Crying (11), DLZ (11), Damily Tree (11), Love Dog (11), Red Dress (11) Halfway Home (11.1), Lover's Day (11.1), Shout Me Out (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2008 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 39

AMF poll of 00's rank: 15

# 16

Kanye West - The College Dropout

Score: 1648 points

Biggest fans:
Zorg #2, Nassim #3, Evan #3, Schwah #6

Haters:
Romain #95, SuperFurry #94

Voters:

Comments:
My favorite hip-hop album ever for its high production values for sure, but don't underestimate Kanye's talent as a MC. Favorite song : Spaceship (Nassim)

Still his best because it doesn't have any week spots (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy does) and because it's his freshest and he still had a trace of humility. No. 21 (Rocky Raccoon)

I love hearing Kanye talk, because I think he's a great storyteller and I really enjoy listening to what he says. So imagine my delight when I say the 20 minute long "Last Call", which along with "Family Business" before it, feels like a real insight into the life and values of one of the biggest superstars of our age. (Zorg)

Jesus Walks (10), All Falls Down (11), Family Business (11), Slow Jamz (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2004 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 18

AMF poll of 00's rank: 12

# 15

Daft Punk - Discovery

Score: 1696 points

Biggest fans:
Schwah #1, sonofsamiam #3, Stephan #3, Greg #3, VanillaFire1000 #4, Dan M #7, Jonathon #10

Haters:
Rocky Raccoon #95

Voters:

Comments:
Electronic music's really not my thing for the most part, and this is the most part. No. 95 (Rocky Raccoon)

Digital Love (10), Something About Us (11), Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger () (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 36

AMF poll of 00's rank: 24

# 14

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

Score: 1706 points

Biggest fans:
VanillaFire1000 #3, Slick #3, SuperFurry #4, Henrik #7, John #7, Tim E #7, Chris #9

Haters:
Brad #91, Moonbeam #42/45

Voters:

Comments:
Elitist Ivy League graduates got the right to be loved too, especially when they deliver such infectious pop songs with fresh influences like classical and African beat. (Honorio)

Upper West Side Soweto sounds good to me. But if it was just that and not great songs as well, then who would care? Ezra Koenig has emerged as one of the greatest pop melody writers of the last few years. Make no mistake, it's the songs that carry this album, the style is just what puts it over the top. No. 14 (Rocky Raccoon)

It suffers from Not-Very-Compelling Syndrome. Everyone talks about the first couple of songs being really good, before it dies down to a more boring ending, but I look at it the other way; the first couple of songs are incredibly catchy, but give little back after a few listens, while the later tracks, like "I Stand Corrected" are much more interesting to me. (Zorg)

Mansard Roof (10), Oxford Comma (11), A-Punk (11), Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa (11), M79 (11), Campus (11), The Kids Don't Stand a Chance (11), I Stand Corrected (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2008 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 40

AMF poll of 00's rank: 25

The College Dropout marks a shift in hip-hop culture, and for that fact might be the most influential album of the past decade. It also clocks in at 76 minutes, which is amazing because it doesn't feel anywhere near that long. Incredible debut, but not the highest-ranking debut on my list.

Petri

From now on I release the albums in smaller parts. And I won't release albums for some hours because it's time for music quiz (in one bar). I hope our team will win tonight.

So did you win ?
There is a pretty fun music quiz in Paris every Tuesday but I very rarely find people to join me (and I have won every time but one ^^ )
There is also a great quiz in a pub every Wednesday, general knowledge not just music, I think I have been there more than 60 times with various friends and we only won 4 times ! I can not count how often we ended 2nd or 3rd (among between 15 and 20 teams most of the time)...
I really like music quizes, I guess I'm not the only one here

OK I think I release #13-#11 now. The gap between #13 and #12 is 0,03 points (by the way other of those albums was my #4 and other #96). After that there's huge jump.
The top 10 will be released tomorrow.
I think we have (at least) one surprise there.
Guessing thread is still open for guessing.

# 13

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Score: 1765 points

Biggest fans:
nicolas #1, Jonah #1, Midaso #3, Dan M #3, Gillingham #4, Petri #4, John #5, Miguel #5

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
The folk revival of the New Weird America did not prepare us enough for this cascade of crystalline vocal harmonies and pure melodies. (Honorio)

They certainly have a sound all their own that manages to be rootsy and modern at the same time. All the songs stand out from one another, which, unfortunately can't be said for their followup. No. 52 (Rocky Raccoon)

Blue Ridge Mountains (11), Ragged Wood (11), Your Protector (11), White Winter Hymnal (11), Heard Them Stirring (11.1), Sun It Risis (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2008 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 22

AMF poll of 00's rank: 11

# 12

OutKast - Stankonia

Score: 1765 points

Biggest fans:
beefsupreme #1, sonofsamiam #4, Rocky Raccoon #4, Slick #6, Greg #6, Jonathon #6, Zorg #8, Henry #9

Haters:
Petri #96

Voters:

Comments:
The funkiest hip-hop album ever and one of it's most diverse. So full of great songs with a lot of variety that if you took out the interludes it would sound like a career-spanning "best of" collection. No. 4 (Rocky Raccoon)

Mrs. Jackson ( , B.O.B. (10), So Fresh, So Clean (11), Xplosion (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 11

AMF poll of 00's rank: 8

# 11

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Score: 1839 points

Biggest fans:
SuperFurry #1, Rocky Raccoon #1, , BillAdama #4, Schwah #7, Chris K #8, Nick #9, John #10, Henrik #10, beefsupreme #10

Haters:
Greg #82/83

Voters:

Comments:
Made from familiar parts, the music on White Blood Cells sounds fresh when the various styles are filtered together through the lense of one Jack White. He puts his own signature on these tracks, giving each one a distinct sound from each other and everything else out there. I like this one by a fraction over Elephant because I find it to be a little more original and it has a tinge of weirdness that gives it some tension and an edge. And it has "Fell in Love With a Girl" on it. It's one hell of a breakup album, too. No. 1 (Rocky Raccoon)

Fell In Love With a Girl (11), Hotel Yorba (11.4), Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground () (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 15

AMF poll of 00's rank: 6

Rocky "All the songs stand out from one another, which, unfortunately can't be said for their followup. No. 52 (Rocky Raccoon) "

I DON'T AGREE AT ALL

Their new album is a string of excellent songs IMO. Just less surprising than the first, but once you get used to that idea, you rediscover it and it's a fucking good album.

Their music does something to me. Can't explain that. Like a girl. you feel

Great. Looking forward to the top 10 tomorrow.

Nassim
Petri

So did you win ?
I really like music quizes, I guess I'm not the only one here

Thanks for asking.
The quiz went very badly. The subject of the quiz was new music (meaning music released in 2012). I hadn't heard any of those songs (11 song clips) (although we recognized some of the artists). The straight question part went quite well (who's the producer of upcoming Black Sabbath album etc.) (although I didn't remember name of Lana Del Rey album. But everything went wrong when we answererd wrong to the extra bonus question and got 5 minus points. I think we were around the tenth place (there were +15 teams). But next week we're gonna be at least in top 3.

My original guesses (Actual rank).

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Radiohead - Kid A
3. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
4. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
5. The Strokes - Is This It
6. The White Stripes - Elephant
7. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
8. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (13)
9. Radiohead - In Rainbows
10. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (28)
11. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells (11)

Looks like the two that broke through are Flaming Lips and Beck. I would have put Flaming Lips at No. 12 in my guesses, so it doesn't surprise me, but Beck is a little bit of a surprise. I guess Animal Collective has a few more haters than I thought.

Wow I gave up on Stories from The City a long time ago but have been inundated with universal accolades for that album since. Better revisit it.

Aw come on no spoilers please there's a special thread just for that !!
Some people love surprises and Petri had even created that thread ogreat idea Btw but unfortunately ...)
I didn't look at ur post rocky but is it still time to take it down ? Please

nicolas
Some people love surprises and Petri had even created that thread ogreat idea Btw but unfortunately ...)

Nah. It can't possibly be a spoiler when everyone knows what albums remain. Too late, anyway.

Rocky Raccoon
nicolas

Nah. It can't possibly be a spoiler when everyone knows what albums remain. Too late, anyway.

Um I had no idea which albums were left.

Little surprised at the high placement of Vampire Weekend. I mean, it's okay. Nice, catchy indie pop. Just notably un-special.

Rocky R, what seems obvious to you is not to anybody
As a casual follower of this, I hadn't paid attention enoigh to know which albums were remaining that's all. Not a big deal anyway but you can't tell what everybody knows can you ?

Can someone explain to me why Stankonia and Speakerboxxx/Love Below are so popular on these forums when the, in my opinion, clearly superior ATLiens and Aquemini didn't even make it into the final 100 in the '90s? They're so much more imaginative albums and they're actually solid throughout, despite being rather lengthy as well, rather than inundated with filler material. Sure, the latter two have hits like Ms. Jackson, Hey Ya and B.O.B., but overall it seems to me the early two should easily be as acclaimed--if not more so.

Rocky Raccoon
I guess Animal Collective has a few more haters than I thought.

The rather weak position of Merriweather Post Pavillon wasn't that big surprise for me (I thought it would be in top 25 though).
AC seems to be the most hated band of the forum after Coldplay (when we are talking about bands with acclaim - not Nickelback or Black Eyed Peas stuff).
The biggest reason was still that many of the biggest fans of that album (Mindrocker, SR) didn't participate in final.

Now let's move to top 10. Two fantastic albums that not everybody (if anybody at all) thought would be in top 10 (well maybe not that big surprises but still) Here they are.

# 10

Beck - Sea Change

Score: 1841 points

Biggest fans:
Harold Wexler #1, Chris K. #2, Romain #3, Schwah #3, John #4, Jonah #6, VanillaFire1000 #8, Henrik #9

Haters:
Tim E #53/53, Nick #77/82

Voters:

Comments:
Beck's accurate attempt to write the most heartbreaking album of all time (a genre in itself) succeeded widely in form (the subtle tone) and content (the real breakup behind). (Honorio)

The first time I played this for a friend, he didn't believe it was Beck. I had to show him the disc case. Beck has rarely stood in place musically, and a recent heartbreak was the impetus for this beautifully sad record. Sea Change is a great title because it washes over you like the tide. No. 13 (Rocky Raccoon)

The Golden Age (10), It's All in Your Mind (11), Seasons Change (11), Lost Cause (11), Lonesome Tears (11), Guess I'm Doing Fine (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 52

AMF poll of 00's rank: 39

# 9

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Score: 1861 points

Biggest fans:
Honorio #1, Rocky Raccoon #2, Petri #3, VanillaFire1000 #5, Henrik #6, BillAdama #7, Romain #10, Nick #10, Henry #10

Haters:
Michel #100, Schwah #68/68

Voters:

Comments:
"What is this? / Are you some kind of hypnotist?". Bizarre, spacey, hallucinatory or eccentric are adjectives commonly used to describe The Flaming Lips music, but they knew how to find magic in the common things, to find the wide-eyed child hidden inside the bored adult. "You realize the sun doesn't go down / It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round". (Honorio)

Despite the awful "Do You Realize?", this album was a nice surprise. Well, not that I really enjoyed it, but it is much more likeable than the Soft Bulletin to my ears. (Nassim)

Some bands create their own sonic landscape, exploring its terrain and giving us a unique audio experience. On this album, the Flaming Lips created a whole fucking planet. It’s a planet of beauty, triumph and sadness where humans are becoming emotionally detached (we’re the pink robots), and where robots are the ones who learn to feel. It’s a planet where the sun going down is just an illusion caused by the Earth spinning ‘round. No. 2 (Rocky Raccoon)

One More Robo/Sympathy (10), Do You Realize (10), Ego Tripping At the Gates of Hell (10), Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (10), Fight Test (11), In the Morning of the Magicians (11.1), It's Summertime (11.1), Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2 (11.1) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 20

AMF poll of 00's rank: 17

I'm so happy to see these two albums on the top 10.
I feel that Sea Change becomes bigger and bigger with time.

Please, for those who love Sea Change, try to listen "l'Histoire de Melody Nelson" by Gainsbourg. Beck has always said he would be inspired by this album an you can hear that easily.

BillAdama
Little surprised at the high placement of Vampire Weekend. I mean, it's okay. Nice, catchy indie pop. Just notably un-special.

I was totally unimpressed by it. It's not horrible, but I really don't get what's good about it.

After these two we'll reach the club of +2000 points.

# 8

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Score: 1908 points

Biggest fans:
Gillingham #1, Dan M #2, Slick #5, Schwah #5, Evan #5, Chris K. #6, Henry #8, Romain #8, Petri #9

Haters:
Stephan #93, Miguel #45/46, Zorg #62/65

Voters:

Comments:
The ultimate grower album, not too impressive at first listen but revealing more edges, more power, more deepness and more desolation with every new spin. (Honorio)

Sure, it might be Radiohead less groundbreaking album. But sometimes it is great to see a great band playing in their comfort zone to give us what they do best : great pop/rock songs. (Nassim)

Radiohead just doing what they do. Hopefully not, but this might be their last great album. No. 38 (Rocky Raccoon)

Nude (10), Reckoner (10), 15 Step (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 7

AMF poll of 00's rank: 9

# 7

The White Stripes - Elephant

Score: 1912 points

Biggest fans:
Romain #2, BillAdama #2, Harold Wexler #3, Rocky Raccoon #5, Nick #6, SuperFurry #7, Jonathon #7, Slick #8, Dan M #8, beefsupreme #8, Honorio #10

Haters:
Greg #81/83

Voters:

Comments:
Many people used to think that it was impossible to innovate inside a style as rigid as garage rock before The White Stripes came and put the style upside down but fashionable again. And they did it with their minimalistic approach, with reverence to the blues roots but with enough audacity to break the mold and with the unique talents of Jack and Meg White (yes, Meg too). (Honorio)

From hard rock to acoustic folk and pop to dirty blues, Jack's just showing off at this point. A mammoth record as the title suggests. No. 5 (Rocky Raccoon)

Seven Nation Army (10) (Henry)

Place in the 2003 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 5

AMF poll of 00's rank: 10

Good for The White Stripes but my favourite album by them continues to be "Get Behind Me Satan".
I really don't know why a so little love for this album.

Rocky Raccoon
Nah. It can't possibly be a spoiler when everyone knows what albums remain.
Well, it actually can. For several people, apparently.

Not much conversation here. However the number of views have grown since I posted former results so I guess it's time to post again (of course it's possible that there are 2-3 people online who refresh the site every five minutes). Well here's for you at least.

This album was big favorite of mine when it was released and I voted for it the best album of it's year then. Somehow the magic of the album have decreased (or at least I don't have the need to listen to the album in it's whole anymore). It's still in the boundaries of my top 100 of decade (and of course in this poll rather high while many of my favorites didn't qualify).
Look's like many still find this to be one of the real top albums of the decade.
So... Is This It? No it's something else.

# 6

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Score: 2017 points

Biggest fans:
Evan #1, Jonathon #1, Honorio #3, Harold Wexler #5, Nick #5, Chris K. #5, Jonah #7, Miguel #7, Midaso #7, John #9, Rocky Raccoon #10, BillAdama #10

Haters:
Tim E #51/53, Moonbeam #43/45

Voters:

Comments:
If there is an unwritten rule about a logical progression of introducing the arrangements, Wilco decided to ignore it. The first verse of the first song features drums and organ, the second acoustic guitar, the third a weird drum pattern and noises, the fourth shakers and autoharp, the fifth "normal" drumming and guitar and the sixth background noises. And why not? (Honorio)

It's the songs, and don't forget that. People make a big deal about the experimenting and soundscaping, but they're just trappings that embellish the songs rather than detract from them. Jeff Tweedy found the perfect balance here, and that's why the album itself is nearly perfect. No. 10 (Rocky Raccoon)

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (10), Pot Kettle Back (11), Radio Cure (11), War On War (11), Jesus, Etc. (11), I'm the Man Who Loves You (11), Poor Places (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2002 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 4

AMF poll of 00's rank: 7

This must be the fastest poll rollout in AM history. Congrats, Petri.

The bulk of these results were predictable after the all-time albums poll, but a few surprises stand out. I would not have expected Queens of the Stone Age (my 13) to crack the top 20. This makes me even more surprised that Rated R, which is just as high-quality but less popular, didn't even crack the top 100.

Beck and Flaming Lips are pretty surprising top 10 selections. I'm always stunned at the love for Sea Change on here (I haven't seen it ranked as highly anywhere else I can remember). That album has always struck me as too intentionally sad to listen to and enjoy, but then again I love albums like Songs of Leonard Cohen and Rock Bottom.

Yoshimi is a pretty cool entry into the top 10, even though that album is always more uneven then I'd like it to be.

I could do without In Rainbows and Elephant in the top 10. Amnesiac and White Blood Cells are both significantly better than those albums.

The worst result so far? Untrue at 61. That album is a landmark in electronic music; it's hard to read a review of any act that doesn't use Untrue as a benchmark. That album does take some time to sink in though, so I understand why some might write it off.

But you guys don't have the same excuse for the low ranking of Xtrmntr. That album blew me away from first listen, and I still haven't heard much that's as extreme in sound yet tight in execution. Kill All Hippies, Swastika Eyes, Accelerator, and Shoot Speed/Kill Light do an amazing job at combining the appeal of rock and electronic music. That album is by far Primal Scream's best.

Jackson

The bulk of these results were predictable after the all-time albums poll, but a few surprises stand out. I would not have expected Queens of the Stone Age (my 13) to crack the top 20. This makes me even more surprised that Rated R, which is just as high-quality but less popular, didn't even crack the top 100.

I was disappointed too to see Rated R miss the top 10 of 2000, but it came pretty close and the competition was pretty tough for this year so it is understandable.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was my #13, Kamera, War on War and Pot Kettle Back really drag it down for me, but all the other songs are wonderful. Radio Cure is still my favorite but the opener and the 2 closers might be the most impressive ones.

What do these numbers from Henry mean?

^

Henry

The numbers are my enjoyability rating for the song.
1 is the best (5.0 on RYM)
6 is very good, but not one of my all time faves (@ 4.2 on RYM)
9 is @ 3.5 on RYM
11 is reasonably enjoyable and @ 3.0 on RYM
11.4 is a balance point where I either find the song acceptable to listen to, or believe that it may be a grower even if I don't yet enjoy it (@ 2.5 on RYM).
11.9 means that I do not care for the song (@1.5 on RYM)
12 or higher means that I likely will not listen to the entire song because I find it to be so annoying (@1.0 on RYM)

Nassim
Jackson

I was disappointed too to see Rated R miss the top 10 of 2000, but it came pretty close and the competition was pretty tough for this year so it is understandable.

Yeah the competition was very tough and Rated R got 300 points (when in some years 200 points was enough to get a final spot). GY!BE was #10 of that year and in the final list it was #50.
Still top 20 place for Songs for the Deaf was a bit surprising (in a good way I guess). Maybe the huge number of indie-(pop) among the finalists lead to the final results where rock and hip hop successed quite well (because they were real alternative).
On the other hand all albums left are in someway indiemusic (but still very different to each other).

# 5

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

Score: 2072 points

Biggest fans:
Nick #1, Moonbeam #2, Henry #3, SuperFurry #3, Chris #4, Nassim #5, Michel #5, Jonah #5, VanillaFire1000 #7, Harold Wexler #8, BillAdama #9, nicolas #9, Jonathon #9, Chris K. #10

Haters:
None

Voters:

Comments:
5 perfect songs and a pretty great one easily make you forget that there are 3 songs you could live without, and well, when a song like Watch the Tapes is the low point on an album, it is a pretty great sign. (Nassim)

I'm in a minority by prefering their debut, but while this one has some amazing tracks, it is also hampered by a couple I don't find good. No. 56 (Rocky Raccoon)

Someone Great (7), All My Friends ( , New York I Love You (11), Time to Get Away (11), North American Scum (11), Get Innocuous (11), Song for my Father (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2007 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 9

AMF poll of 00's rank: 5

It's hard for me to say how pleased I am to see "Sound of Silver" in the top 5, and the highest 2007 album!

Being in the indie critical sphere doesn't necessarily make me think of something as 'indie music'.

To me 'indie' has the connotation of stripped down, noisy pop.

Sound of Silver has to be the most inconsistent album in the top 5 for me. Some of the songs are among the best of the decade (among the best of all time, even), but others I could do without. It's a difficult one to place for that reason.

The same goes for Illinois, which I think is a bit too long. Its high points are incredible, though.

In my mind, indie really isn't a genre any more than "classic rock" is a genre.

Fleet Foxes, LCD Soundsystem, The Black Keys, and Animal Collective are all "indie", but those four bands sound absolutely nothing alike.

Just in the same way that The Eagles, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd are all "classic rock" yet sound nothing alike.

When people say that indie bands get all the attention for this decade on this forum, I think what they really mean is "non-mainstream rock-esque music" gets all the attention.

The highest ranked album without a single #1 vote.
# 4

The Strokes - Is This It

Score: 2172 points

Biggest fans:
Evan #2, Nick #2, Jonah #2, Jonathon #4, Honorio #5,Tim E #6, Midaso #6, beefsupreme #7, Brad #7, Chris K. #7, Chris #7, nicolas #8, SuperFurry #8, Jackson #9, Rocky Raccoon #9, Moonbeam #9, Slick #10

Haters:
Gillingham #29/31

Voters:

Comments:
The cornerstone of the post-punk revival of the 00s, a band with the influences on the sleeve, basically the NYC scene from Velvet Underground to Television. But they were not merely a revival band, they invigorated the rock scene creating a fresh a vital sound with pop melodies sung with distorted vocals, sharp guitars and the ease and insolence of the twenty-something. (Honorio)

The album that helped save us from the nu-metal sludge that was threatening to take over the radio in the aftermath of the alternative revolution ushered in by Nevermind. Thank God! Their New York artistic pretentions and rough-edges rock approach made it sound like the Replacements and Velvet Underground had given birth and raised a child named the Strokes. No. 9 (Rocky Raccoon)

Modern Age (10), Hard to Explain (11), Someday (), Is This It (11.6) (Henry)

Place in the 2001 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 2

AMF poll of 00's rank: 4

Nick

When people say that indie bands get all the attention for this decade on this forum, I think what they really mean is "non-mainstream rock-esque music" gets all the attention.

Well, that's correct but not exactly true. Neoclassic rock does not get all the attention (except the very best like Fleet Foxes or Hold Steady). And there are tons of post punk influenced bands with strange lyrics and abstract art covers and twisted production in this selection. But at least White Stripes (far from being the best neoclassic band IMO) and the Strokes are in the top 10 along with indie-era half assed Wilco albums.
Wilco is a great example of this forum's tendancy : there is Yankee and Ghost but nothing after that (no Sky Blue Sky)
Guess who's posting

people
Nick

Well, that's correct but not exactly true. Neoclassic rock does not get all the attention (except the very best like Fleet Foxes or Hold Steady). And there are tons of post punk influenced bands with strange lyrics and abstract art covers and twisted production in this selection. But at least White Stripes (far from being the best neoclassic band IMO) and the Strokes are in the top 10 along with indie-era half assed Wilco albums.
Wilco is a great example of this forum's tendancy : there is Yankee and Ghost but nothing after that (no Sky Blue Sky)
Guess who's posting

I guess it's pretty easy to say that people is nicolas.

BTW thanks for running this poll Petri

I'm happy about the Strokes position. Very good album. Simple, straight to the point album. Impressing debut.

Fleet Foxes out of the top 10 is a little disappointment but there are anti folk people here (and I don't blame them).

But Flaming Lips is a total mystery. Well it's not a bad record, but in the top 10 ?
As I'm lazy I'll quote a great RYM review (courtesy of musictoad who is an AMer too)

"Hey, you know those albums you buy because

a) the cover art looks cool
b) it's different and exciting to spontaneously try something new
c) it gets a lot of praise
d) why not?

And you know those albums that are disappointing because

a) the quirkiness loses effect over time
b) concept albums about a little girl fighting big robots, although cute, grow old
c) you realize that with few exceptions, most of the songs follow the same template and ultimately just float along and don't go anywhere and by the 8th track just before the monster hit single you're itching to turn the blasted thing off and put on something else, and then the monster hit single ends and the album goes back into lulling you to sleep
d) who knows?

(...) Ok, maybe I'm being a little harsh. It's a pretty decent album if I get past the tired quirkiness and listen to the great melodies and soundscapes."

and he gives a 3 star rating just like I did. Thanks musictoad I couldn't agree more

and I don't like the monster hit single, but "The Morning of The Magicians" is a fantastic song

PS : Sea Change is growing on me too.

And no Black Keys album in the final round really disappoints me. they're so much better than the White Stripes (i'm listening to their new album and it really kicks ass especially the second half)

nicolas
Sea Change is growing on me too.

Sea Change has been growing for me since I saw Beck perform many songs from the Album at the Bridge School Benefit Concert last October.

If any of you can make it next year to the next Bridge School Benefit concert (in Mountain View, CA - near San Francisco), I would really enjoy meeting you during, before or after the concert.

Wow. I never would have thought that Chocolate Starfish and The Hot Dog Colored Water would end up in the top three.

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry!

Seriously, though, I couldn't be more thrilled to see Sea Change in the top 10.

Great - and stunningly fast - job with the presentation, Petri!

Thanks guys for politeness.
I remember when Henrik presented the best songs and albums of 90's (in Janaury 2008). The whole show lasted only one weekend. That was fast pace and I liked a lot.

# 3

Radiohead - Kid A

Score: 2310 points

Biggest fans:
BillAdama #1, Chris K. #1 , Petri #2, Honorio #2, Jonathon #2, Nick #3, Gillingham #3, Jackson #4, Brad #4, Evan #4, Chris #5, Midaso #5, sonofsamiam #5, Harold Wexler #6, Henry #6, Henrik #8

Haters:
Nassim #94, Miguel #44/46

Voters:

Comments:
Seeing legions of bands mimicking every detail of its previous production (there's no need to name one, is there?), Radiohead were forced to find a completely new direction. And they found it in avant-garde, electronica and IDM, depicting a world ever weirder, stranger and more alienated than the world they showed in "OK Computer". And that’s saying a lot. (Honorio)

It is brilliant, even if I find it the tiniest bit overrated. The only slight qualm I have is that I'm not always in the mood to listen to it. But when I am in the right mood, I can get completely lost in its soundscapes. No. 11 (Rocky Raccoon)

Everything in its Right Place (10), Morning Bell (11), Motion Picture Soundtrack (11), The National Anthem (11), Optimistic (11) (Henry)

Place in the 2000 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 2000s rank: 3

AMF poll of 00's rank: 1

Wow, looks like I messed up my votes...
My 94 should be Hail to the Thief, Kid A should be my #36

Wow, that was a surprise! And if Illinois can beat Kid A it could just as well go all the way!

Ah yes that was Illinois. i was wondering who was left

but Arcade F looks untouchable. I'd be very pleased too if it was Sufjan S cause I love that album

Nassim
Wow, looks like I messed up my votes...
My 94 should be Hail to the Thief, Kid A should be my #36

Your very low placement of Kid A was surprise to me (I almost ask you is that right but then I thought you have had enough for that album). Luckily if Kid A would have been your #36 the placement of album had been still #3 (Hail to Thief would have dropped from #42 to #46). Score of Kid A would be 2329 points.

Do you want I pronounce the winner?

I mean, there's a difference between the scratchy lo-fi like Elliot Smith and more crafted and produced alternative rock like The National, but these are both lumped into the general category 'indie'.

Great to see Illinois at #2.

Is This It, out of all the albums, is the one where there's the biggest drop between the amount I liked it when it came out and the amount I like it now. It's a fun album with some good songs but the more you listen to them, the less they stand out.

Petri
Do you want I pronounce the winner?

Yeah, bring it on!

1 2