Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum Poll: The Best Albums of the 00s Results

Not just a win, a blowout! I don't think anyone will have a problem with Funeral at #1, and that might be the difference between it and the other contenders: no haters.

Great and quick show, Petri! Looking forward to the songs.

Wow, 25 (out of 35) voters had Funeral on their Top 10. I was one of the other 10 (although it was my #12)

Thanks for the show, Petri! It may not be all-time fastest show but I think it is the first presentation without a single error!

In fact, all the polls we've had through the years have been great. They've never got out of hand of the person who've run them, which is quite a feat. Especially the decade polls which run through a whole year require a lot of dedication. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot Petri!

I'm afraid I was the voter with the least number of albums ranked. Well, I guess in some way that makes me lucky.

Thanks again guys. The show of songs will start at earliest in sunday but probably I don't have time before monday.

Honorio

Superb presentation, Petri. Sadly the albums covers are slightly blurred. I suppose you are using the RYM covers. But the problem with RYM it is that the only way to get the focused cover arts are if you use the codes on the page but in this case the image is small. That's why when I did the 60s poll I clicked on “View cover art”, then downloaded the cover art to my computer, then I uploaded it on Photobucket and finally linked it to the forum. Anyway I don't want to be picky, you did a wonderful job.
(by the way, Miguel, you put the complete Radiohead discography at the bottom of your list, am I right?).

The quality of pictures from RYM was disappointment to me as well (I took the pictures that were available from AM (top 5 of the years) and they look much better). I still think I stick with the bad picture quality in songs poll too because I have gotten all single covers already (taken from RYM).

And yes looks like we found AMer who hate Radiohead more than Stephan or Listyguy. By the way Miguel if you read this please answer to my request about your songs list. I emailed you couble of weeks ago.

Hooray for Sound of Silver in the top 5 and Illinois beating out Kid A!

Thanks, Petri, for this outstanding presentation!

Loving the results (mostly because Radiohead isn't dominating the list). Great work Petri.
It seems like just yesterday the 60's poll ended (wait...It did end yesterday). I'm only kidding, Honorio.

Petri
And yes looks like we found AMer who hate Radiohead more than Stephan or Listyguy.
It's more indifference than hatred, see also my song comment for Everything in Its Right Place.

Listyguy
It seems like just yesterday the 60's poll ended (wait...It did end yesterday). I'm only kidding, Honorio.

No offense at all, Listyguy, of course.
In fact you're right, I began to post the results on Dec 12, 2010 and I ended on June 9, 2011 (I just checked). By the way I realized that some of the pictures on the 1900-1949 poll dissappeared (despite I tried to use sources like Last.fm). I just don't want to know how many You Tube links disappeared too.
Returning to the six months of delay I now it was way too much but apart of the idiomatic problem (translating my thoughs from Spanish to English to paper is much more time consuming than writing directly in English but this is not really an excuse, in fact all the others before and after me - Nassim (70s), Stephan (80s), Henrik (90s) and Petri (00s) - shared the same problem and they were much quicker!) my problem is my lack of spare time. In fact I'm sad to say that my participation in the forum for the next sixth months (that are going to be extremely busy) is going to be limited to the fantastic AM Foreign World Cup, I got no time for anything else (sorry nicolas, I could send you my unedited lists for the previous 90s poll but it probably it's not fair).
I seize the opportunity to encourage the AMers to vote on the Stephan World Cupo poll, the last three weeks I missed many of the voters that participated on the first three (the first week of Brazil we reached 16 voters), like Henrik, Andre, Romain, sonofsamiam, Kinoftonga, Listyguy, Seanywack, Henry or Moonbeam. Come on, maybe East Asia is not the most interesting but very soon we will reach to the best part (that in my opinion is 1.2, Western Africa, great songs in there).
And of course, I got no time to participate but there are many other great games going on that I would like to encourage participation too, the 2011 Albums and Songs Polls, the Moderately Acclaimed Poll or the Unacclaimed.

Honorio, you certainly don't have to make any excuses. Your presentation was filled with so much interesting info that it was always worth the wait.

I love the World Cup too, and I apologize Stephan that I haven't voted in the last weeks. I have spent all the time on adding new critics' lists to my spreadsheets, I hope you don't blame me for that.

Petri, thanks for hosting the 00s poll. Great show!

Congratulations to Arcade Fire and Petri, both came out on top of this poll. Nice work, and now it's on to the '90s. Spoiler alert: Radiohead is going to win. Sorry if I ruined the surprise, everyone.

I'm a bit busy so I will start the songs results thread at earliest in about 6-7 hours.
I've added comments from Honorio, Nassim, Moonbeam, Depeche Mode, Evan and Stephan.
Please inform if someone else commented the songs.

I totally missed that this started and I got to view it all in one shot! The list looks great!

I only ranked 45, but the correlation between my placements and the final list is only a whoppingly insignificant 0.015.

Thanks again Petri sorry for the confusion.

I didn't make comments so I chose 3 that best reflect my thoughts:

Saturdays=Youth:

Petri
The '80s ended, let's not try to bring them back. No. 87 (Rocky Raccoon)

BillAdama
Why do I like Sleater-Kinney so much? Because they KICK ASS.

Vampire Weekend
Moonbeam
I was totally unimpressed by it. It's not horrible, but I really don't get what's good about it.

I'm the highest hater, what do I win? Srsly though, Sufjan Stevens. He's just too indie & too precious for me, its like nails on chalkboard. If I patted him on the back hard enough I'm afraid he might turn into dust!!

boring, boringer, AMF

good job though, Pet.

Moonbeam
I only ranked 45, but the correlation between my placements and the final list is only a whoppingly insignificant 0.015.

I noticed that I rated the following albums much lower than other voters:

The White Stripes / Elephant
The Avalanches / Since I Left You
Queens of the Stone Age / Songs for the Deaf
The White Stripes / White Blood Cells
Sleater-Kinney / One Beat
Antony and the Johnsons / I Am a Bird Now

My guess is that the least likely to win me over is the S-K album, and the most likely to grow on me is the QSA album.

I would appreciate it if those who love one or more of these albums will point me to the songs that they consider best with (when possible) an explanation regarding why these songs are so great.

No urgent need to explain your love of Seven Nation Army as I already enjoy this song.

Henry

I noticed that I rated the following albums much lower than other voters:

Queens of the Stone Age / Songs for the Deaf

I would appreciate it if those who love one or more of these albums will point me to the songs that they consider best with (when possible) an explanation regarding why these songs are so great.

My favorite song of the decade is A Song for the Deaf : I have a huge bias toward songs in 3/4 time signature, makes me wanna waltz, but this particular one is more like an unstoppable stomper, waves crushing on you again and again, and no violence or scream is needed for that. The drum part is impressive and strongly increases this impression of the sea wrath falling upon you. It is not a gentle song at all, it's dark, but most of all it's intense (no joke on double rainbow please).

And it leads to another peak of the album, the much calmer Mosquito Song, a strange ending for such a dense and insistent album. I love how it showcases some competition between various instruments to be the softer one.

Talking about insistent, the apex of any Queens of the Stone Age live show, A Song for the Dead, is another key track. The intro and outro are here for the pogo, but what is in between is an amazing road trip (the main theme of the album) on the strange drugged chamanic highways of the mojave desert. The vocal performance of Mark Lanegan is almost as great as the one on "In The Fade" on Rated R (might be the 2nd best song of the whole Queens of the Stone Age discography) and, like in most of the album, Dave Grohl is at his best.

Lanegan and Grohl have been major actors in the success of this album, but the bassist Nick Oliveri was the crazyness factor in QOTSA first 3 albums, and you can clearly hear that in Six Shooters and You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar but I Feel Like a Millionaire. Those are mainly shots of adrenaline, but great ones.

Last but not least, the 2 main singles, No One Knows and Go With the Flow are mainly just great rock songs with a touch of the californian touch of QOTSA (not the Pacific Ocean california but the desert one). Go With the Flow is a bit more frantic (see the piano part), and the constant variations on the guitar are the magic touch.
And No One Knows, well, you know it I guess ! For me it is all about the drum and the bass, but I guess it is the main riff that made its success.

For Since I Left You, it works much better as a whole mix than on a song by song basis, but if you need to pick a song, the 2 that made our top 100 are clearly the one to choose.

I'm gonna tackle The White Stripes - White Blood Cells. The first thing I noticed about it is its simplicity. There is almost nothing to the songs - it really is simply drums, guitar and voice, and that raw sound really appeals to me. It's a pretty aggressive album - take the sneer with which Jack White says "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" in the first song, and it does that Pixies thing of going loud-soft-loud-soft which I find quite exhilarating. It really is a loud album at times.

But this only serves to make the good parts better - those are the songs which slow down a little bit, a bit more thoughtful, a bit more poignant. We're Going To Be Friends, and the last three songs in particular. Add to that mix the sheer fun of songs like Fell In Love With A Girl, Hotel Yorba etc, and you find that the album really packs a lot of punch in 40 minutes.

Oh and I forgot to mention Jack White's guitaring. While I'm not one to enjoy guitar solos, because they always feel like forced posturing, Jack White is another matter. His guitar solos sound like I'M GOING TO SLAY YOUR CHILDREN aggressive, and it sure is impressive.

Honorio
I seize the opportunity to encourage the AMers to vote on the Stephan World Cupo poll, the last three weeks I missed many of the voters that participated on the first three (the first week of Brazil we reached 16 voters), like Henrik, Andre, Romain, sonofsamiam, Kinoftonga, Listyguy, Seanywack, Henry or Moonbeam. Come on, maybe East Asia is not the most interesting but very soon we will reach to the best part (that in my opinion is 1.2, Western Africa, great songs in there).
And of course, I got no time to participate but there are many other great games going on that I would like to encourage participation too, the 2011 Albums and Songs Polls, the Moderately Acclaimed Poll or the Unacclaimed.

Honorio, Petri, Stephan, other forum participants: It was already hard for me to plan free quality time on music listening and rating, but due to a recent change at work I can no longer actively participate in any polls. My initiative to rate songs whilest going back in time, is not going fast either (in a snail tempo I got to 1992 so far, see my documentation at RYM). It's sad but true, but I am already happy if I manage to listen to some new music material once in a while. The interest in music will always be there and remain strong, but like with all hobbies, the time spent comes in waves.

1 2