Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 31/12/2011 Mega-Critic-Chart: Best Reviewed Albums Of 2011

Mike
I am very surprised that the Roots' new album Undun isn't making a better showing. I thought it was one of the universally acclaimed albums of the year.

The problem is that it was released in December. If it had come out earlier in the year it would very likely be in the top 50 (at least) on both Mega-Critic and the EOY spreadsheet. It's unfortunate.

Harold Wexler
Mike
I am very surprised that the Roots' new album Undun isn't making a better showing. I thought it was one of the universally acclaimed albums of the year.

The problem is that it was released in December. If it had come out earlier in the year it would very likely be in the top 50 (at least) on both Mega-Critic and the EOY spreadsheet. It's unfortunate.

That makes sense why Undun has done so poorly on your wonderful list compilation, but isn't the ratings in this post simply based on the average ratings it gets from various publications?

The album has a score of 88 on metacritic, which is two points higher than PJ Harvey scored, so I would expect it to have no problems cracking the top 50.

Mike
Harold Wexler
Mike

That makes sense why Undun has done so poorly on your wonderful list compilation, but isn't the ratings in this post simply based on the average ratings it gets from various publications?

The album has a score of 88 on metacritic, which is two points higher than PJ Harvey scored, so I would expect it to have no problems cracking the top 50.

Has Undun been released outside the U.S. yet? El Camino certainly has - the Black Keys' album came out here the same day as Undun, but it's doing much better on both lists. Mega-Critic compiles reviews from a variety of international sources, and if an album's release is staggered in different regions, it can take time for a UK or rest-of-world score to catch up to a U.S. one (and vice versa).