The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Occupy Wall Street Playlists

My college research that i'm finally starting this week is about trying to find a link or a network among the revolts we saw this year and the up and coming economical crisis. OWS is a minor one. I really focus on what happened in Northern Africa, England, Chile. Now a whole system is fearing a collapse in the hands of greeks, italians. Europe is facing such a growing political-economical crisis, it will surely affect the countries that have any connection to them. People are even starting to talk about those russian protests. There are those rumors that Germany is even considering walking out of EU. I'm starting the studying right now. I must say: it's weird to see the americans and the occident countries fighting to assure dictatorship in many countries that need to be more favorable to them in the Cold War than to the Soviets and a few years later watch the NATO intervene in those very same countries.

The rebels need cohesion and coherence. During the imperialist days of the arly 20th century, countries of the middle east managed to get their independence via protests and then they started internal fights over power, religion as part of the state, which group should take over, which not. If a group doesn't have a identity, they don't have nothing. If Egypt rebels have a islam identity like so many claim when it comes about this arab spring, they will surely start a theocracy in the molds of 79 Iranian Revolution. Democracy is possible in the Middle East, we just need to adapt it to its culture and its people. Democracy is a term that has changed its meaning so much during times, that it amazes me that the neo-liberal way of democracy is usually seen as the only standing.

The chinese could take EU out of the crisis in a minute or two. Will the chinese rule the world? Will the chinese people and its middle class start claiming for changes in their system and then another big protest will emerge? The BRICS are pretty much convenience over real cohesion. EU is cohesion, EU + USA are cohesive. But they both are facing their system newest crisis and each state is starting to look for itself over outright cooperation. Is the US falling out of the high height of international politics gracefully just like England before the First World War?

A professor of mine was arguing about the similarities between our times and the beginnings of the '29 crisis. It's not about economic recession only. Last time, in the between war times, the atmosphere was perfect for the emerging of fascist governments and right-wing, left-wing dictatorships. The '73 oleo crisis was enough to transform the Middle East. Protests have been happening since the crisis of 2008 and i remember the Iranian Election of 2009 that forbidden the people to put their elected candidate in power because of a sent from above decision of the ayatollah. Beware of those economical crises, they never miss the opportunity to spread into politics.

China is a bubble, built on American investments, I wouldn't put too much faith in their ability to "take the EU out of the crisis".

nj you got a point. We really should talk about music;
But the number of posts here suggests that this OWS thing triggered something in many of us, even if like any other group we have our differences (ideological but also cultural).
So let's get back to music and open a thread in the apropriate section of the forum for further discussion
So sorry for those who went looking for protest songs playlists and had to go through our barroom discussion

Stephan
China is a bubble, built on American investments, I wouldn't put too much faith in their ability to "take the EU out of the crisis".

They actually offered to do this! And they also are the ones to blame for the crisis. I also think that China is going to place the bulls before the cars. They are actually a bubble. And if this bubble blows – socially, politically or economically speaking - i don't know what's going to happen to the neoliberal system as we know it.

This thread has become an unstoppable machine lol

nicolas
This thread has become an unstoppable machine lol

Ok, I'll stop I guess that people that enjoy arts more that others actually enjoy speaking about politics. And i guess that people should speak about politics more. It's funny how no one cares to spent their time reading gossips or football news or even Christian magazines, but they still see politics as a taboo to speak about. This is a music thread and we have a space for this stuff, so it's totally understandable that we won't do this here, but there's a large amount of people that don't touch about the subject in their own houses. They don't have no idea of what's going on in this world.

I agree with you HRS, I don't want to stop people from expressing themselves, especially after I've done so.

So now please if you want to go on with the political part of this discussion please post in this thread

If Europe is zero...

(I can't believe no one else has posted this before me...)

...then what are 1, 2, 3, and 4? Because I think we all know that man is 5, the devil is 6 and God is 7.