Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unacclaimed Week 27

This tournament began with 64 songs. Only 12 remain!

Week 27 sees us move to bracket L6. The winners will move on to bracket L7, while the losers will depart from the game.

Please listen to the songs before making your choice, and provide comments (however brief) to form the basis of your pick.

The deadline for Week 27 is 11:59 PM, December 19th AM time.

You can read the descriptions of why these songs were nominated in the rules thread.

Match L6.1:

Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields"
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle"

Match L6.2:

The Walker Brothers - "The Electrician"
Faces - "Ooh La La"

Match L6.3:

Nirvana - "Rainbow Chaser"
Prince - "Crystal Ball"

Match L6.4:

Brazilian Girls - "Homme"
Stereolab - "French Disko"

Re: Unacclaimed Week 27

These matches just keep getting tougher! I now own 6 of these 8 songs. This is like pulling teeth!

Match L6.1:

"Hilly Fields" is probably my third favorite song in this entire game. Its sound is so titanic and masterful. It might rank among my top 500 ever now. Too bad it's up against my second favorite song in the game, and a top 100 song of all time for me. "Dazzle" just beams with a triumphant splendor that is unmatched.

Match L6.2:

Faces - "Ooh La La"

If "Hilly Fields" is my favorite new discovery of the game, "The Electrician" would probably come second. Its creepy crawly bookends enclose a magical, gorgeous center - sheer delight! It led me to explore Scott Walker's solo career as well, so I am very grateful for its place in the game. "Ooh La La" just doesn't do it for me.

Match L6.3:

Prince - "Crystal Ball"

"Rainbow Chaser" is vibrant and colorful with a chorus that commands attention. It might make my top 10 songs of 1968. But "Crystal Ball" is a top 10 song all time for me and instantly makes my hair stand on end.

Match L6.4:

Both of these are great discoveries for me. "Homme" is endlessly alluring, but the driving whiplash of "French Disko" is a little bit greater.

Can't believe this is the loser's bracket. Many of these look like winners to me.

Match L6.1:

I enjoy Dazzle but I love Hilly Fields.

Match L6.2:
Faces - "Ooh La La"

Ouch, best two songs of the week up against eachother. I fully expect The Electrician to win, but Ooh La La is just more fun.

Match L6.3:
Prince - "Crystal Ball"

Very tough, but the edge goes to Nirvana because Crystal Ball is just a little too long. Sorry MB.

Match L6.4:

These songs are kind of out of their depth here, I wish they were up against the songs in L6.2 instead, so those could both go on. I guess Stereolab is a little better.

Extremely easy choices this week.

"Hilly Fields"

"Ooh La La"

"Rainbow Chaser"

"French Disko"

All except Rainbow Chaser are in my all-time top 200. Hilly Fields and French Disko were the discoveries of the game for me.

Faces - "Ooh La La"
Prince - "Crystal Ball"

Thanks!

Match L6.1 Winner: Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields"
Nice to vote for "Hilly Fields." I like the song, but feel like it always seems to be up against a song I like better. Not this time.

Match L6.2 Winner: The Walker Brothers - "The Electrician"
Creates quite the sinister mood.

Match L6.3 Winner: Prince - "Crystal Ball"
Not excited about either, but Prince has many more interesting moments in his mess.

Match L6.4 Winner: Stereolab - "French Disko"
Best song of the week by far. I also like "Homme," but not like I love Stereolab.

Match L6.1:

Match L6.2:

Match L6.3:

Prince - "Crystal Ball"

Match L6.4:

Serious quality this week -- only Crystal Ball is not in my Top 500.

Less than 3 hours remaining, and there's a tie in one of the matches!

Match L6.1:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle" wins over Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields" - neither song thrilled me, but they were enjoyable enough. Pretty close call for me.

Match L6.2:

Faces - "Ooh La La" wins over The Walker Brothers - "The Electrician" in the closest match of the week for me. The pop of Faces wins over the more contemplative effort of the Walker Brothers. If I had to decide next week, this vote could be different.

Match L6.3:

Nirvana - "Rainbow Chaser" wins over
Prince - "Crystal Ball" in another close match. I admire Prince's adventurous effort, but there were too many portions that I simply didn't enjoy.

Match L6.4:

Stereolab - "French Disko" wins over Brazilian Girls - "Homme"

6.1: Nick Nicely-Hilly Fields

Voting has closed.

And your results!

Match L6.1:

Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields": 5
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle": 3

This was pretty close throughout the week, but Nick Nicely had too much in the end. I nominated "Dazzle", and while I'm sad to see it depart, I'm very, very happy it made the top 12 and that it went out to another wonderful song.

Match L6.2:

The Walker Brothers - "The Electrician": 3
Faces - "Ooh La La": 4

This one went the distance. Henry's late vote swung it in favor of Faces.

Match L6.3:

Nirvana - "Rainbow Chaser": 3
Prince - "Crystal Ball": 4

Another close vote, with Prince having just enough to make the final 8.

Match L6.4:

Brazilian Girls - "Homme": 0
Stereolab - "French Disko": 7

While Stereolab has gained a lot of momentum, it has been a quick fall from grace for "Homme", which won its first 3 matches but was blown out in its last two.