Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - North Africa (Part 1)

Stephan
Doing 8 songs a week the first round will take 32 weeks.
I see. Just to warn you, I saw major drops in participation in the AM World after 10 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here to.

Bracket 1.1.1
Cheb Mami - Yo Yo (Algeria) - khaled and taha have had more accomplished careers, but this is my single favorite rai track.

Bracket 1.1.2
Slimane Azem - Algérie, mon beau pays (Algeria)

Bracket 1.1.3
Hassan Hakmoun & Adam Rudolph - Ma'Bud Allah (Morocco)

Bracket 1.1.4
Anouar Brahem - Vague / E la Nave Va (Tunesia)

Bracket 1.1.1
Cheb Mami - Yo Yo (Algeria)
Sezen Aksu - Erkekler (Turkey)

Bracket 1.1.2
Omar Khorshid - Raqsed El Fadaa (Egypt)

Bracket 1.1.3
Ofra Haza - Im Nin'alu (Israel)

Bracket 1.1.4
Selda - Yaz gazeteci yaz (Turkey)

Bracket 1.1.1

Yo Yo is a fun pop song, but its thin repetitive hook seems to stretch a bit long even at three and a half minutes. Sezen Aksu's song gets the edge becuase it is simply more interesting.

Bracket 1.1.2

Omar Khorshid's guitar piece has interesting textures and is a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Slimane Azem's song also features impressive guitar playing, but ultimately I prefer the instrumental approach in this case.

Bracket 1.1.3

Im Nin'alu is a very well made pop song while Ma'Bud Allah has an entrancing chant. I give the slight edge to Ofra Haza.

Bracket 1.1.4

Anouar Braham's serene composition edges out Selda's driving pop song.

Cheb Mami - Yo Yo 7
Sezen Aksu - Erkekler 6

Aksu is musically a little more interesting but the excitement factor wins out here.

Omar Khorshid - Raqsed El Fadaa 7
Silmane Azem - Algerie, mon beau pays 9

Rasqed is interesting, it's like three totally separate songs back to back of varying style and quality.

Ofra Haza - I'm Nin'alu 9
Hassan Hakmoun & Adam Rudolph - Ma'Bud Allah 8

Ofra Haza is like Arabian music produced by Moonbeam. In Ma'Bud Allah, I love that baseline and the way the flute plays off it.

Anouar Brahem - Vague / E la Nave Va 9
Selda - Yaz gazeteci yaz 8

Latin influence beats out rock influence on the beauty factor.

Before I vote I want to introduce some of the songs, and especially the ones I nominated

Slimane Azem - Algerie, mon beau pays (1975)
This is a very sad immigrant lament. Slimane Azem is a Kabyle, the original people of Algeria before the Arab invasion. Azem was the hero of Kabyle immigration in France. he was banned from the airwaves by the new guardians of nationalism in Algeria on the pretext that his village had supported the French army during the war of independance. Still wounded by the his exile and in spite of the success of his album that went gold, Azem retreated to the southwest of France where he became a farmer. After a final show at the Olympia in 1981, he passed away, ruined by alcohol. His citizenship was reinstated by the Algerian state in 1991, ten years too late...

Hassan Hakmoun & Adam Rudolph - Ma'Bud Allah (1991) From the album Gift of the Gnawa
Although this song is the most traditional sounding of the 8, it was recorded in New York with American musicians Adam Rudolph (percussion) and Richard Horowitz (ney flute). Hassan Hakmoun plays the sintir, a three-stringed long-necked African bass lute. He comes from the tradition of gnawa, the music of Black African slaves brought to Morocco by Arab dealers. Down the centuries, gnawa brotherhoods have spread from West Africa ro The Sudan. The aim of gnawa music is to unite the listener with God and sometimes to heal physical or psychological illnesses, generally by inducing a state of transe. And Stephan the Ma'Bud is a coincidence , it means something like "adore Allah". You can find Hakmoun's bio here .

Bracket 1.1.1

A tight match, I'm not a huge fan of either but Yo Yo is very refreshing, like most rai

Bracket 1.1.2

It took me time to really appreciate Raqsed El Fadaa, because I first thought it was a messy collage of different parts, but the 70"s sound and the dramatic progression makes it a good discovery. Slimane's song might sound more ascetic, but I love the emotional charge that he puts into every word.

Bracket 1.1.3
The most easy win of my favorite song against my least favorite of those 8. The athmosphere in Hakmoun's track is incredible, with a great mix of ancient and modern (the echoes and effects on the vocals).

Bracket 1.1.4
Anouar Brahem - Vague / E la Nave Va (Tunisia)

2 great songs, but the Brahem piece is really beautiful. The least North African of the 8 in its sound and structure, but nevertheless a masterpiece.

Bracket 1.1.1

Bracket 1.1.2

Bracket 1.1.3

Bracket 1.1.4

First, let me say that this is a great idea for a game! I am woefully ignorant about music from most of the world, so I view this game as a great opportunity to learn and expand my horizons.

Bracket 1.1.1
Cheb Mami - Yo Yo (Algeria): 3
Sezen Aksu - Erkekler (Turkey): 8

"Erkekler" is just what I like from what I've heard of Middle Eastern music - very rhythmic with lush strings. There's even a cool synthy part in the middle! "Yo Yo" was... embarrassing. It reminded me of music made for a commercial for a cruise line for new retirees. Get ready to shuffleboard!

Bracket 1.1.2
Omar Khorshid - Raqsed El Fadaa (Egypt): 8
Slimane Azem - Algérie, mon beau pays (Algeria): 7

These are both quite good. I sense that the Slimane Azem track has some powerful meaning behind it, but I prefer the experimental tweaks of "Rasqed el Fadaa".

Bracket 1.1.3
Ofra Haza - Im Nin'alu (Israel): 9
Hassan Hakmoun & Adam Rudolph - Ma'Bud Allah (Morocco): 6

Now that's what I'm talking about! "I'm Nin'alu" has a delightfully 80s flavor that just sparks. "Ma'Bud Allah" was good, if a little repetitive.

Bracket 1.1.4
Anouar Brahem - Vague / E la Nave Va (Tunesia): 7
Selda - Yaz gazeteci yaz (Turkey): 7

The evocative piano and organ of "Vague / E la Nave Va" is quite impressive. "Yaz gazeteci yaz" is instantly memorable and might have won if it wasn't dragged down by the verses.

Hey, Moonbeam, happy to see you here !
And thanks to the others (especially those who haven't nominated) for participating !

Keep on coming !

Yeah, excellent to see this great turnout, thanks everyone! The insightful comments are also awesome, making me appreciate some of these songs even more.

I will put up Part 2 Monday morning, but the deadline for this week will be Monday at midnight since I was a little late with setting up the thread.

Stephan
Yeah, excellent to see this great turnout, thanks everyone!

We're still expecting votes from the following people who nominated

Romain
DanM
Andre
Henrik
Honorio
Michel
hectorthebeat
charlie DRiggs
kingoftonga
antonius
Mindrocker
David

and of course from many more

Glad to see that this game (that I initially though it was going to be a failure) is having a significant level of participation inside a forum much more willing to follow the latest trends that to do some research on forgotten music. Congratulations to everyone for your selections. Stephan, hope you don't mind that I include some You Tube links.

Bracket 1.1.1

Goran Bregovic always tried to find a common ground between different cultures in a geographical environment as convoluted as the Balkans, that's probably why he recorded his songs in many different languages with stars from many different countries (his detractors may argue that doing that he wanted to sell records in those different local markets). He recorded albums with Polish singers like Kayah or Krzystof Krawczyk, Greek singers like Giorgos Dalaras or Alkistis Protipsalti and, of course, the Turkish star Sezen Aksu. Every song from their 1997 album is delicious, I've selected "Erkekler" maybe because of its contagious rhythm (similar to Taha's "Ya Rajah").

Bracket 1.1.2

You can almost touch the pain of exile distilled in his voice. But the intro on the Khorshid one was fantastic too!

Bracket 1.1.3

There are few voices as beautiful and warm as Ofra's. Sampled by Erik B. & Rakim for their Paid in Full. It should go to the final (sadly for the Hakmoun-Rudoplh tune that is great, absolutely mesmerizing).

Bracket 1.1.4

Many thanks Henrik for discovering to us the fascinating music world of Anouar Brahem, the connection with the Western world in his case was not for the use of modern instruments and global music trends, in that beautiful song the Arabian oud mixes easily with a piano with echoes of Debussy impresionism. Anyway that tune from Selda was a pleasant surprise.

Bracket 1.1.1

I like the pounding percussion of "Erkekler," whereas "Yo Yo" is a bit too over-the-top with its corny synths and whatnot.

Bracket 1.1.2

I like the way that "Raqsed El Fadaa" shifts through different sections and movements, never staying on the same idea for long.

Bracket 1.1.3

The hazy, indistinct vocals on "Ma'Bud Allah" make for a great song, while "Im Nin'alu" is trying a bit too hard for me, and gets repetitive.

Bracket 1.1.4

This one was tough! "Yaz gazeteci yaz" is ridiculously catchy, but I love the minimalist trappings of "Vague," and that opening piano line is simply hypnotic.

1.1.1 Cheb Mami
1.1.2 pass: I like neither of the songs
1.1.3 Ofra Haza
1.1.4 Anouar Brahem, the whole CD is worth checking out

Henrik ? Are you not playing ?

Bracket 1.1.1
My view of "Yo Yo" is Nicolas with an ounce of Moonbeam. After that, Sezen Aksu's song was warm and refreshingly downbeat.

Bracket 1.1.2
Wow, "Raqsed El Fadaa" is really good! It's like listening to Santana, Dick Dale, Les Baxter and The Doors simultaneously, but the oriental feel is still the most prominent.

Bracket 1.1.3
I have always liked "Im Nin'alu" although the production of the worldwide known version is over the top, so it was great to hear the original version for the first time. "Ma'Bud Allah" is really good too, my feelings are the same as Honorio's.

Bracket 1.1.4
"Vague" is in my all-time top 100 songs and I am really happy that so many of you have discovered Brahem now. However, since the song was already nominated "Yaz gazeteci yaz" is actually my nomination. I found it because of the album "Selda" has a very good RYM rating. The song is a bit funny because it sort of get stuck in the verse but in an odd way it builds up to the killer refrain.

I hope I'm not too late...

Bracket 1.1.1

Bracket 1.1.2

Bracket 1.1.3

Bracket 1.1.4

Bracket 1.1.1

Bracket 1.1.2

Results!

Bracket 1.1.1
Cheb Mami - Yo Yo (Algeria) - 8
Sezen Aksu - Erkekler (Turkey) - 7

Bracket 1.1.2
Omar Khorshid - Raqsed El Fadaa (Egypt) - 9
Slimane Azem - Algérie, mon beau pays (Algeria) - 5

Bracket 1.1.3
Ofra Haza - Im Nin'alu (Israel) - 7
Hassan Hakmoun & Adam Rudolph - Ma'Bud Allah (Morocco) - 6

Bracket 1.1.4
Anouar Brahem - Vague / E la Nave Va (Tunesia) - 13
Selda - Yaz gazeteci yaz (Turkey) - 0

The first week and the first shut-out, although consensus seems to be that Selda was simply unlucky to be up against Braham.

my two champions are out (bracket 2 and 3)

Too traditional probably. Winners have all strong Western influences and I fear it's gonna be like this until the end

Due to vacation, busy at work and illness I could not vote for the foreign world cup yet. Will catch up.

My posthumous votes: