Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New update!

Nah, I's a cool video!

Also: ignore the 'Is Every' before Laura Nyro haha and another thing: female fronted groups like Cocteau Twins, Sleater-Kinney The United States of America and Broadcast also have their credit due. Portishead, Blondie at least are exceptions that are going pretty well!

I'm no feminist - of course - i don't want to say that comparisons and fight among men don't happen - they sure do and they sure get nasty on press, too. It's just a fact that many women are underrated. I'm not a fan of the idea that women need to support each other more, since that ended up giving us lilith fair but they sure need to know how to deal with the press better. They're not Joni Mitchell.

Evan
I noticed when reading through the songs that The Prodigy's "Firestarter" appears in six different of Q's best of decade or best of all time lists. Does this have the same impact on its ranking as would six best of decade/best of all time lists from six different publications? If so, then I think the ranking is inflated because Q has reiterated over and over again that it really likes that song. I also think that it would be really difficult to control that inflation, though. I don't have a big problem with this or anything, I just found that oddity interesting.
I do control such inflation! It makes the calculations take much longer time, but it's worth it...

AM uses old-fashioned html code and frames and you need to delete cached internet files. The best thing is to go into tools somewhere and delete all files. Alternatively you have to right-click on a particular frame and choose refresh frame.

Well, don't expect to hear anything from me before Christmas; I'm going to need at least that much time to update my iTunes to reflect the new list.

I can't wait.

Great update particularly fascinting to see how the decade lists affected everything the rankings over the past few years. Particularly noteworthy that the top songs were Hip-hop flavoured as it pretty m,uch towered over the last 10 years. Two queries:
1. Did any songs drop out of the AM 3000 + bubbling under from this update?
2. Hervé Bourhis (France) - Le Petit Livre Rock: The Juke Box Singles 1950-2009. If this is included in the year end lists, could that also be the case for Dave Marsh's top40 per year 1954- 1981?

Colm D
2. Hervé Bourhis (France) - Le Petit Livre Rock: The Juke Box Singles 1950-2009. If this is included in the year end lists, could that also be the case for Dave Marsh's top40 per year 1954- 1981?

If you're referring to the year-end lists from Marsh and Kevin Stein's THE BOOK OF ROCK LISTS, those are already included.

Colm D
Great update particularly fascinting to see how the decade lists affected everything the rankings over the past few years. Particularly noteworthy that the top songs were Hip-hop flavoured as it pretty m,uch towered over the last 10 years. Two queries:
1. Did any songs drop out of the AM 3000 + bubbling under from this update?
1. You mean if any songs left the site completely? No.
2. This was a mistake. Bourhis compiled the lists in 2009 (I think) so his lists should not have been treated as EOY. I will not update the rankings now, but in the next site update Bourhis list will be an "all-time list" with higher weight.

Only yesterday I told a friend of mine about Acclaimed Music: "It's a great site, too bad it's no longer updated." Way to make me look like a fool! Well done, Henrik.

Do you still maintain links to old AM pages to compare previous rankings??

Henrik
Evan
I noticed when reading through the songs that The Prodigy's "Firestarter" appears in six different of Q's best of decade or best of all time lists. Does this have the same impact on its ranking as would six best of decade/best of all time lists from six different publications? If so, then I think the ranking is inflated because Q has reiterated over and over again that it really likes that song. I also think that it would be really difficult to control that inflation, though. I don't have a big problem with this or anything, I just found that oddity interesting.
I do control such inflation! It makes the calculations take much longer time, but it's worth it...

That's great to hear! Must be a hell of a task.

Henrik,

Including bubbling under tracks, I noticed that there are 4,879 songs on the spreadsheet.

Do you think that you would ever expand the Top 3000 to a Top 4000 or 5000?

By the way, I forgot to mention...

Thanks for the update, Henrik! You certainly put a lot of hard work into this every time! :D

Acclaimed Music is hands-down the website I get most excited about to see updates to!

Daniel
Henrik,

Including bubbling under tracks, I noticed that there are 4,879 songs on the spreadsheet.

Do you think that you would ever expand the Top 3000 to a Top 4000 or 5000?
I might do that sometime in the future, but I really want to be "sure" that no songs outside the bubbling unders would make the list, and right now I'm only sure about the top 3000.

With the new entries and the songs that fell off the 3000 lists, the bubbling under section grew up to 1879 songs. Almost a list for itself now

Many thanks for the update, Henrik!

Great news!

Thanks for this update, Henrik! It sure has been a hard work for you.

Of all the things to love and hate about the new update, I think these three make me the most happy:
1- Sunday Bloody Sunday in the top 200 (closing in on One)
2- Hallelujah in the top 1000
3- Juicy in the top 1000
Of all the negatives, I'm the most saddened by the fall of All Along the Watchtower out of hte top 100

Listyguy
Of all the things to love and hate about the new update, I think these three make me the most happy:
1- Sunday Bloody Sunday in the top 200 (closing in on One)
2- Hallelujah in the top 1000
3- Juicy in the top 1000
Of all the negatives, I'm the most saddened by the fall of All Along the Watchtower out of hte top 100

Every time I hear the Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower I enjoy it more. I wonder why it doesn't improve with time for the critics.

I can understand why people would think Hey Ya! is too high. But with it up to 19th, every decade from the 1950s on is represented in the top 20, which I think is definitely a good thing.

Thanks a lot for the outstanding job Henrik!

"Hey Ya!" is a little overhyped, still, it's great, but not Outkast's best, if "Ms. Jackson" was on the Top 100 I think it would be more deserving. Also, sad to see that the songs from "In Utero" have dropped down so much (funny thing that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" ain't even Nirvana's best song and now it's #3 of all time-sure it's awesome and full of energy and probably sums up the whole grunge movement but in terms of sound it lacks the complexity of, say, "Come As You Are" or the pure darkness of "Heart Shaped Box"),

I pray that this "Louie Louie" song someday will leave the Top 100 for good... even the Top 200. "Get Ur Freak On" too. "Crazy In Love" is catchy, but above "Light My Fire"? Or "Walk On The Wild Side"? Or "Layla"? Waaaaaay too much. It's also a shame to see "All Along The Watchtower", "Live Forever" and "Little Red Corvette" out of the Top 100 now. Critics...

Her Madgesty didn't fare GREAT on the decade-end lists, so that could have influenced the slight drop in rank (a couple of tracks will see more weight for that French jukebox list, though, which will be moved to the all-time section, but that shouldn't result in a dramatic jump).

HRS, the way you feel about Joni is how I feel about Madonna. And I respect that. :) I became as big a fan as a I am not only because I thoroughly enjoyed the musical work, but also because I was fascinated that a mainstream pop star was doing what she was doing, tackling all sorts of cultural issues, going as far as she was, and giving our culture and society important topics of discussion. All the books/essays devoted to analyzing and dissecting the music, videos, concerts, etc.- it reeled me in to look further into this woman (I was around 14 when I really started delving into her).

One thing that Joni and Madonna have in common- aside from a large level of acclaim- is that they are not afraid to speak their mind. When Joni made the comment, Madonna's spokeswoman responded with this:

“Wow. What can I say? Madonna has always been a huge fan of Joni Mitchell’s. I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry she feels that way. Madonna speaks frequently about her admiration and worship of Joni’s talent. Wow. The feeling isn’t mutual.”

Madge shouldn't feel bad- Joni's dissed some very acclaimed and well-regarded acts, it looks.