Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Albums of 2011

Looking forward for the New Kate Bush record. Late release, but hearing jawesome things about it.

Has anyone heard Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact?

I liked them before, but this album is the one that establishes them as a top-shelf band. It's instantly my #2 of the year behind PJ Harvey, with a good shot at becoming #1.

@Nicolas

Also, have you heard Alison Krauss's new record?

I listened to Eye Contact before but didn't think it was particularly great. I'll give it another spin.

Nicolas: I'm surprised you don't like Bon Iver, particularly For Emma, Forever Ago is some of the warmest and most emotional indie rock out there, and I'd argue the new album is als far from cold.

Stephan
Nicolas: I'm surprised you don't like Bon Iver, particularly For Emma, Forever Ago

Same here. I haven't heard the new Bon Iver yet, but I think For Emma, Forever Ago has real emotional weight to it. It was mostly recorded in a remote cabin in deep winter after a difficult year for Justin Vernon, and whenever I listen to the album there's a warmth like a crackling fire that shines through the isolation and loneliness of the music. But hey, everyone responds to music differently.

Nicolas, I would love to recommend some albums but I haven't listened to many 2011 releases yet.

My problem with Bon Iver (along with a lot of indie acts) is the vocals. That falsetto. I'm very vocal-sensitive. But I'll listen to it again, for the 00's poll. The song "For Emma" is a good memory

nicolas
My problem with Bon Iver (along with a lot of indie acts) is the vocals. That falsetto. I'm very vocal-sensitive. But I'll listen to it again, for the 00's poll. The song "For Emma" is a good memory
The falsetto? But you love Antony and the Johnsons and Fredo Viola! (not that that is a bad thing, I do quite enjoy them myself)

But these guys have a much richer, wider vocal range and timbre !! Then again, maybe I paid too little attention to Bon Iver, so we'll talk about it again when 2007 comes around in the naughties poll.

F*cked Up's 'David Comes To Life' is going to be widely regarded as one of the albums of the year. Just wait.

One listen and I'm blown away. 78 minutes of accessible, catchy, melodic and yet pounding, visceral punk/hardcore. Doesn't outstay it's welcome at all, either. It's already got a 9 from Spin, a glowing review from BBC and the praise will keep flooding in I'm sure. I'm gonna get on the record now and say Pitchfork are going to score it between 8.9 and 9.2. Seriously, keep an eye out.

BillAdama

I liked them before, but this album is the one that establishes them as a top-shelf band. It's instantly my #2 of the year behind PJ Harvey, with a good shot at becoming #1.

Yeah, it's my AOTY so far. (With PJ #2.) Posted about this a week or so back, and my opinion has not changed.

Cults is AWESOME.

sonofsamiam
BillAdama

Yeah, it's my AOTY so far. (With PJ #2.) Posted about this a week or so back, and my opinion has not changed.

Top 5 for me, probably top 3 in fact, alongside The Smith Westerns, Big K.R.I.T., Kurt Vile and Wild Beasts

Ahhh, I found the album of the year for me :
The Kills - Blood Pressure
The White Stripes are not here but the Kills, yes !!

Gillian Welch is BACK

White Denim - D is blowing me away.

These layered guitar riffs are simply incredible. One of the best of the year.

1. Cults - Cults
2. Milkman - Algorithms
3. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
4. Lupe Fiasco - Lasers
5. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
6. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
7. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
8. Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde
9. The White Panda - Pandamonium
10. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light

BillAdama
White Denim - D is blowing me away.

These layered guitar riffs are simply incredible. One of the best of the year.

Now that's some good news!
Last Day of Summer was arguably my 2nd favorite album of last year, so I'll look for their new album as soon as possible.

St Vincent just announced a new record slated to september

Ddiamondd
F*cked Up's 'David Comes To Life' is going to be widely regarded as one of the albums of the year. Just wait.

One listen and I'm blown away. 78 minutes of accessible, catchy, melodic and yet pounding, visceral punk/hardcore. Doesn't outstay it's welcome at all, either. It's already got a 9 from Spin, a glowing review from BBC and the praise will keep flooding in I'm sure. I'm gonna get on the record now and say Pitchfork are going to score it between 8.9 and 9.2. Seriously, keep an eye out.

The music is pretty good but I'm having a lot of trouble with the guy's voice. I love me some visceral punk but he has zero range.

drewcannon3
Cults is AWESOME.

Yes it is. Definitely my AOTY right now.

I agree. Most of the songs aren't fast paced enough to be considered punk. If he toned it down a bit it would be a terrific alternative rock album otherwise it just sounds like the Arcade Fire fronted by the Ultimate Warrior

More than a month further ... time for an update:

(1) 1 Fleet Foxes
(2) 2 PJ Harvey
(-) 3 The Antlers
(3) 4 Lykke Li
(4) 5 Elbow
(-) 6 Wild Beasts (heard it only twice yet)
(8) 7 The Decemberists
(-) 8 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
(5) 9 Radiohead
(6) 10 Anna Calvi

TV on the Radio disappoints me and I did not hear Bon Iver yet.

My current list:

1. Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
2. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
3. Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
4. White Denim - D
5. TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
6. Dalriada - Igeret
7. Cascadeur - The Human Octopus
8. Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contract
9. Wye Oak - Civilian
10. Natural Snow Buildings - Waves Of The Random Sea
11. Gang Of Four - Content
12. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
13. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
14. Stupeflip - The Hypnoflip Invasion
15. Josh T Pearson - Last Of The Country Gentlemen
16. Bibio - Mind Bokeh
17. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
18. Those Darlins - Screws Get Loose
19. Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
20. Amon Tobin - ISAM

One I couldn't connect with at all is the new Battles. It's like they have good ideas but no idea how to patch them together into something listenable, and no idea how to edit themselves.

Cults are going to make a very high appearance on my list.

so far this is what I've heard....

1. James Blake- James Blake
2. Let England Shake- PJ Harvey
3. Helplessness Blues- Fleet Foxes
4. Tomboy- Panda Bear
5. The King of Limbs- Radiohead
6. Cults- Cults
7. Zonoscope- Cut Copy
8. Kaputt- Destroyer
9. Nine Types of Light- TV on the Radio
10. Angles- The Strokes

No bad albums, but nothing as strong as my top 5 albums from 2010.

I'm going to be months behind, and just singmypraises for Fleet Foxes. Been a long time coming (3 years!) but I've finally got into both their albums, and I'm absolutely LOVING Helplessness Blues. I can't remember who said it, but i agree with whoever said that "The Shrine/an Argument" was the best thing they've done.

1. Kurt Vile - Smoke ring for my halo
2. smith westerns - dye it blonde
3. fleet foxes - helplessness blues
4. wild beasts - smother
5. radiohead - the king of limbs
6. pj harvey - let england shake
7. bill callahan - apocalypse
8. iron and wine - kiss each other clean
9. tune-yards - whokill
10. the go! team - rolling blackouts

still to listen - TVOTR, Cults, bon iver, James Blake, Tomboy, Zonoscope, kaputt, and many many more...

I've still not found a classic from 2011 yet. Admittedly, I haven't heard a great deal of albums from 2011 (8?), but nothing has been that impressive.

Gilliam Welch LP "The Harrow and The Harvest" is amazing. Its been a long while since she has released anything. This record could be a big one.

Liking WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain.

Kevin
Gilliam Welch LP "The Harrow and The Harvest" is amazing. Its been a long while since she has released anything. This record could be a big one.

Looking forward to this record since she announced her return. Didn't know it had leaked! The reviews i saw have been extremely positive.

I recommend Antonia Font - Lamparetes

I don't know whether or not they're well known in Spain, but it's atmospheric indie pop with lush piano.

Current top 10:

01. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
02. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
03. The Antlers - Burst Apart
04. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
05. Low - C'mon
06. Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
07. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
08. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
09. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
10. Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean

I'm terribly disappointed by Bon Iver

Moonbeam
I've still not found a classic from 2011 yet. Admittedly, I haven't heard a great deal of albums from 2011 (8?), but nothing has been that impressive.

Same for me; I cant find an excellent surprise (except Fleet foxes, but they're noe a surprise)

Cat's Eyes isn't too bad. Cults is perfect. I think I even like them more than Tennis. If you're going to compare Tennis to Best Coast might as well do the same with Cults. They sound more like Best Coast than Tennis do. And neither really sounds that much like Best Coast at all. Tennis sounds like a cross between Neko Case and the Dittybops.

For me, my top 4 are 'potential classic' level. That is, PJ Harvey, Nicolas Jaar, White Denim, and Radiohead. And I think Gang Gang Dance has a shot at reaching that level.

There's also a robust second tier of 'Really good but sub-classic'.

My favorite album so far is Rival Sons - Pressure and Time.

I didn't care for Radioheads new album. But then, it's not my genre of music. (Anymore.)

New album of the year:

Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter One: Gens de couleur libres

Best new jazz album I've heard in a LONG time.

It's July ... another update:

(1) 1 Fleet Foxes
(2) 2 PJ Harvey
(3) 3 The Antlers
(4) 4 Lykke Li
(7) 5 The Decemberists
(5) 6 Elbow
(8) 7 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
(6) 8 Wild Beasts
(-) 9 Bon Iver
(10) 10 Anna Calvi

Shabazz Palaces - Black Up ... Sub-pops first hip-hop release sounds unlike anything in the genre

I've just heard a few tracks by a very promising Danish band called Treefight For Sunlight
Their shiny, dreamy brand of classic pop is delicious and impressing for a first album

Laura Marling releasing a new record in September 13. A Creature I Don't Know is the follow up to last year's critically acclaimed and British favorite I Speak Because I Can.

Girls also releasing the follow up to Album the same month.

In the midst of all the metal albums in the RYM top 100, don't miss this little marvel.

Well, I mean if you like progressive metal of the 70's

Too bad they lack of a good singer

The Horrors' new album is out. Anyone heard it/has an opinion of it?

If you like the Wu-Tang, Fugazi and/or mash-ups, you should lend a hear to the Wugazi's first album "13 chambers".
Quite a few people have released mash-ups of 2 artists since the beginning of the year (including a quite likeable mix of Black Keys's Brothers and Big Boi's Luscious Left Foot) but this one tops them all.

New M83 single ROCKS.

Girls and Dum Dum Girls returning in September. Maybe the latter will experience the acclaim it should've received with last year's I Will Be. And Real Estate also returning. Washed Out has been seen as a disappointment among some reviewers but i'm yet to listen to. The Horrors has been receiving raves and i need to check that one too.

HRS
Washed Out has been seen as a disappointment among some reviewers but i'm yet to listen to. The Horrors has been receiving raves and i need to check that one too.

I love the Washed Out record, I like it a lot more than I would have expected in fact. The Horrors is definitely good, I haven't listened to it enough to say for sure, but it seems a tad overrated.

Chris K.

I love the Washed Out record, I like it a lot more than I would have expected in fact. The Horrors is definitely good, I haven't listened to it enough to say for sure, but it seems a tad overrated.

The main criticism is that it sounded cleaner and more limp than previous recordings. I enjoyed it. Still need to give the Horrors a fair spin.

HRS
The main criticism is that it sounded cleaner and more limp than previous recordings. I enjoyed it. Still need to give the Horrors a fair spin.

It's definitely cleaner but the songwriting is stronger, especially vocal wise.

Although on that note, my only problem with the Horrors so far is that it seems a bit too clean.

I need to hear that one. It must have a later US release date than UK.

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact is now my #1, and Return of the Country Gentlemen has entered my top 10.

Feist releasing her new album Metals October, 2.

HRS
New M83 single ROCKS.

I've discovered and started to enjoy this band through the 2000s poll. Looking forward to this album.

Shabazz Places - Black Up rocks. One of the best rap albums in years.

I was wondering whether anyone has listened to the album called "Wolf Notes" by *AR, released in June this year. I guess you can define the album as ambient music BUT don't let this put you off! This is a hidden gem and a masterpiece in my opinion.

This album along with PJ Harvey's Let England Shake are my favourites this year

I think it's okay to post this little url if you care to listen to it

http://typerecords.com/releases/wolf-notes-2

Dum Dum Girls's single Coming Down is excellent. The song bears a-little-too-much resemblance with Fade into You but is still really enjoyable. The biggest surprise is Dee Dee's delivery. A cleaner production really improved the band's sound. It will sure receive more attention than their previous effort from 2010.

Has there really been not a single post about Watch the Throne?

This is the first album release that felt like an event to me since Radiohead.

It's good. That's all I'm positive about for now.

Also, I'm a little taken aback at how much I'm enjoying Vanessa Carlton's new album.

Lana Del Rey might become the next big indie chanteuse. Her track "Video Games" is already one of my favorites breakthroughs of 2011. A vocal hybrid of Cat Power, Laura Marling and Fiona Apple.

new Girls record will be fawned over massively. Could be looking at a very popular top 5/10 AOTY choice

I love n***** in paris it is a play loud rocker and after 3 weeks it still rocks

New top ten albums of 2011-

1. James Blake- James Blake
2. Let England Shake- PJ Harvey
3. Helplessness Blues- Fleet Foxes
4. Bon Iver- Bon Iver
5. The King of Limbs- Radiohead
6. Kaputt- Destroyer
7. Cults- Cults
8. Zonoscope- Cut Copy
9. The Whole Love- Wilco
10. Whokill- Tune-Yards

I'm currently excited for albums by Justice, Coldplay, and Girls.

I just had a peek here:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-music-of-2011-so-far

and downloaded 2 albums from the website from the Weeknd. Some decent R&B music. If that's your cup of tea, you should take a look as well.

The new Ry Cooder is.. well.. first and foremost, very odd. However, it's also pretty damn funny and at times incredibly good. Might be his best solo album since Paris, Texas.

I don't think much of the Cults album, I have to say. It's just too...empty for me. Perhaps easy to like, but difficult to love.

AM posters don't really go outside of the "big" releases it seems, do they? Any of the lesser known albums anyone is digging?

does someone like something apart from indie/poppy bands?

musictoad
AM posters don't really go outside of the "big" releases it seems, do they? Any of the lesser known albums anyone is digging?

Dalriada - Igeret (Hungarian folk metal)
Antonia Font - Lamparates (Spanish indie rock)
Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol 2 (Progressive jazz)
Cascadeur - The Human Octopus (French indie pop)
Tyler, The Creator - Goblin (Rap)
Anna Jarvinen - Title I can't remember
Snowman - Absence
White Denim - D
Chelsea Wolfe - Name I can't remember with Greek letters

Check out the 'Esoteric' list on RYM, which can also be filtered by country of origin.

I'd like to add one more release to that list since there is a distinct lack of mentions of him in this thread, and since I saw him live Saturday and he was phenomenal. Josh T. Pearson's Last of the Country Gentlemen is awesome.

He wasn't the highlight of that night because The Tallest Man On Earth was there too and gave a fantastic show, but it was damn close. Pretty cool to have the maker of your favorite 2011 album and the maker of your favorite 2010 album at the same festival performing within 15 minutes of each other.

Stephan, that's quality, good for you! What I wouldn't give to see The Smith Westerns support Kanye, haha

Anyway, I called it about a month back: Girls are getting mad love (from some quarters). 9.3 from Pitchfork! Way too high, putting it on par with In Rainbows and many others. If I had to hazard a (very early and probably silly) guess at their EOY top 10:

1. Bon Iver
2. Girls
3. The Weeknd (3 combined, like James Blake last year)
4. Fleet Foxes
5. Shabazz Palaces
6. James Blake
7. tUnE-yArDs
8. PJ Harvey
9. Destroyer
10. St Vincent

in no order, 11-20: Atlas Sound, The Field, Fucked Up, Panda Bear, Kurt Vile, Das Racist, The Smith Westerns, Gang Gang Dance, Cut Copy, Zola Jesus

who knows though? there might be another Weeknd/Shabazz that is out of leftfield and blindsides everyone

I like playing guessing games. Here's my try at Pitchforks top ten of 2011.

1. Bon Iver- Bon Iver
2. Father, Son, Holy Ghost- Girls
3. James Blake- James Blake
4. The Weeknd- (All 3)
5. Let England Shake- PJ Harvey
6. Whokill- Tune-Yards
7. Helplessness Blues- Fleet Foxes
8. Kaputt- Destroyer
9. David Comes to Life- Fucked Up
10. Black Up- Shabazz Palaces

So yeah, Ddiamondd, you pretty much got it right as far as I'm concerned.

Last Of The Country Gentlemen is an excellent album.

I will also add Vanessa Carlton - Rabbits On The Run to the list of 'Best of the year'.

Also, there is a new St Vincent album coming out soon that seems to be getting no buzz at all except I saw a 9/10 on Popmatters. I'm expecting this to be easy top ten material.

The last Miossec's album is really great. "Chansons ordinaires" is the best French album of the year right now. Very rock !

Definitely, one of the best albums of 2011 is Adele's 19!

I'm currently listening to Adele's BEAUTIFUL songs:

1. Someone Like You
2. Rolling in the Deep
3. Make You Feel My Love

These are great, great songs. Poetic and pleasing to the ears aren't to describe their beauty! By the way, I usually download them through Fast-Debrid.Com since I hardly have any problem using this downloading website!

By the way, the Adele's Someone Like You released the crybaby in me!

First time I can ever recall p4k giving back-to-back 9+ scores (9.3 to Girls on Monday, 9.0 to St Vincent on Tuesday). wow.

I'm listening to Laura Marling's new album, and so far it's one of those instant 'holy shit' level albums of the sort that only comes along a few times a year.

It's got the emotion of her previous albums, only she's also doing this folky stringy thing that just works perfectly.

Edit: Ry Cooder's is on the same level. I picked up these two and St Vincent's in one trip to the store. This is like that time last year when High Violet, Archandroid, This Is Happening, and Hadestown all came out within a week of each other. The overall quality of 2011 new releases just skyrocketed instantly.

musictoad

Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'
Fatoumata Diawara - Fatou
The Field - Looping State of Mind
A Hawk and a Hacksaw - Cervantine
Araab Muzik - Electronic Dream
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine
A Winged Victory for the Sullen - A Winged Victory for the Sullen

PS: And Ry Cooder has quietly come out of nowhere to release a strong contender for album of the year with Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down

Meital Dohan's "Yummy Boyz" Remix album is my favorite!

Actually, I Just saw this hilarious video of this singer Meital Dohan talking about fitness, so funny… I guess musicians really aren’t the athletic type…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZIUPY1DnHo&feature=channel_video_title

musictoad

Siriusmo - Mosaik (a scattered collage of electronic sounds)
Male Bonding - Endless Now (fuzzy power-pop)
Hudson Mohawke - Satin Panthers EP (quality grey area between hip-hop and wonky dubstep)
How To Dress Well - Just Once EP (heart-wrenching versions of his best tracks, scrubbed up and with orchestral backing)
Elite Gymnastics - RUIN 1 (like a harsher, sample-based chillwave)
Rozwell Kid - The Rozwell Kid (basically just '94-era Weezer, so much fun)
Machinedrum - Room(s) (Juke, footwork, dub all spliced up like Burial on speed)
Wugazi - 13 Chambers (staggeringly good Wu-Tang Clan and Fugazi mash-up album, extremely well made)
Big K.R.I.T. - Return Of 4Eva (one of the best hip-hop releases in a long time. intelligent, world-weary, varied, fun...free as well!)
Boxcutter - The Dissolve (futuro-funk)
The Psychic Paramount - II / The Men - Leave Home (both ferocious, intense, noisy hard rock records)
Vanilla - High Life (instrumental hip-hop, comparable to Teebs or J Dilla)
Africa Hi-Tech - 93 Million Miles (a veritable smorgasbord of the wide-ranging mutations of UK electronic/bass music - funky, house, dubstep - interspliced with world sounds)
Mariachi El Bronx - Mariachi El Bronx II (another great record from NY hardcore band The Bronx's Mexicano alter egos. Love, life, loss and redemption, with big hooks, guaranteed to put a smile on your face)

So there's 15, all from 2011. don't assume we're all about the big guns. and this is coming from someone who rarely ventures outside of English language music!

Best album of the year. The first one is, by far, better than the others. It's like the MGMT's first album. All the songs are incredibles.

1. Pete and The Pirates - One Thousand Pictures
2. The Kills - Blood Pressure
3. Cults - Cults
4. Metronomy - The English Riviera
5. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi - Rome
6. Cascadeur - The Human Octopus
7. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
8. Keren Ann - 101
9. The Go! Team - Rolling Blackouts
10. Hubert Felix Thiefaine - Suppléments de mensonge
11. Grails - Deep Politics
12. White Denim - D
13. Kasabian - Velociraptor!
14. Kaiser Chiefs - The Future is Medieval
15. Panda Bear - TomBoy

Cole World is really, really, really good.

The new Neon Indian rocks.

I kind of got lucky. I wasn't even going to pay attention to that one, but they happened to be playing it when I went into a record store. They sound like MBV.

Zorg
Bit of a hiatus when it comes to good new music?

I think it's more the conversation moved to the 'Your 2011 album list so far' thread.

well 3 bands that HAVEN'T been mentioned that deserve more hype are Veronica Falls, the Ettes and Still Corners all led by females so maybe that's why although it has been an excellent year for women especially soloists.

New Kate Bush is her best since The Sensual World/Hounds of Love. I always thought that Mrs. Bartolozzi was the highlight of Aerial because of its piano atmosphere. The album creates such a chilly atmosphere, it sounds so timeless. It's a work of genius.

What else has been released this year in the vein of Yuck or Iceage? I haven't liked many albums this year. Fucked Up's is good too, but I think it's pretty unique when I like an album with those kind of vocals. The songs are just so good that it's easier to get used to the screaming.

Actually, listening to it right now, David Comes to Life is probably my album of the year in a weak year for me. I think 2010 spoiled me.

Childish Gambino's Camp is nice enough, but it really sounds like a Kanye West rip-off. There are good chorus, fun lyrics, very good flow, but you can't help but notice much too many similarities.
I think Donald Glover talked about "indie hip-hop", but in this case his definition of that is making mainstream hip-hop while citing Sufjan Stevens and Radiohead.

On a related note, Community pulled out of NBC mid season lineup is a fridging bad news. It needs a 4th season to go full circle, it's the funniest TV show right now dammit !

On the other hand, Spank Rock's new album is pretty unpredictable, you never know where he is heading and that leads to some awesome moments, though overall it does not seem as brilliant as Yoyoyoyoyo. The rythmic structure of the songs has not changed yet but he has had electronic layers, sometimes with great results.

That sucks about Community especially with NBC shoving the mediocre Whitney down our throats for the last 6 months. Up until that show Thursdays were back to being MUST SEE again. I guess NBC thought since it got no Emmy Nominations it's neither acclaimed or a rating booster.

Drake is a big let-down

HRS
New Kate Bush is her best since The Sensual World/Hounds of Love. I always thought that Mrs. Bartolozzi was the highlight of Aerial because of its piano atmosphere. The album creates such a chilly atmosphere, it sounds so timeless. It's a work of genius.

I think the Album is okay but to be honest I think it's far from a return to her 80's masterpiece "Hounds of Love". I confess I have a few problems with some of the tracks ("Snowed In At Wheeler Street" and "50 Words For Snow") and some tracks haven't settled in my mind yet. Otherwise it's fine and considerbly better than Director's Cut. I give it a 7.5/10. I like Kate more as a person these days, she comes across as a really lovely lady on radio interviews. Completely geniune as well.

I would personally place it on the same level as Aerial. To my ears, "50 words for Snow" sounds consistently better than "Aerial", but Aerial has what I believe to be Kate's magnus opus "A Sky of Honey". If "Aerial" came as just the one disk, it would easily make my top list of albums;
I could quite happily throw away Side 1 "A Sea of Honey" with some really boring tracks ("King of the Mountain", "Pi", "Bertie", "Joanni").

Ugh, they pulled Community? Is it cancelled or just moved? I know 30 Rock is coming back midseason, but they actually picked predictable, cheesy, kitschy, stand up comedy cliche Whitney over Community?

I suppose it's better it end while it's great instead of dragging on eight seasons and falling back on the same relationship formula over and over.

(Nice woman! Dating bad guy, but has a loving friendship with good guy! Milk for an entire season, lather, rinse, repeat!)

BillAdama
Ugh, they pulled Community? Is it cancelled or just moved? I know 30 Rock is coming back midseason, but they actually picked predictable, cheesy, kitschy, stand up comedy cliche Whitney over Community?

I suppose it's better it end while it's great instead of dragging on eight seasons and falling back on the same relationship formula over and over.

It is temporarily removed for now, like Parks and Recreations past year I think. It has been stated that all the 23 episodes scheduled for the current season would be aired at one time or another.
So it does not necessarily means there won't be a 4th season, but it's a bad sign.
The show needs to reach graduation, I guess cancelling it after the 4th season would be fine.

Some change, two new album (Beirut ad dEUS) and few albums that i'm tired.

My 2011 list by far :

1. Portugal.The Man - In The Mountain In The Cloud
2. Blood Orange - Coastal Grooves
3. Pete and The Pirates - One Thousand Pictures
4. The Kills - Blood Pressure
5. Cults - Cults
6. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi - Rome
7. Metronomy - The English Riviera
8. Cascadeur - The Human Octopus
9. Beirut - Rip Tide
11. Cage The Elephants - Thank You, Happy Birthday
12. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
13. Kaiser Chiefs - The Future is Medieval
14. dEUS - Keep you close
15. TV on the Radio – Nine Types of Light
16. White Denim - D

And, finally, the album of Bashung, singing the 1976 album of Gainsbourg "L'homme à la tête de chou" (a must have for me),just before is death,is published this month.
It will end inevitably in my top list of 2011.

Variations sur Marilou :

I'm so happy.

Two new albums this time and a huge disappointment, the Tom Waits album I find not good. Far from his last albums wich are excellent (Real Gone, Alice...)

3. Pete and The Pirates - One Thousand Pictures
4. The Kills - Blood Pressure
5. Cults - Cults
6. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi - Rome
7. Metronomy - The English Riviera
8. Cascadeur - The Human Octopus
9. Beirut - Rip Tide
11. Cage The Elephants - Thank You, Happy Birthday
12. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
13. Memory Tapes - Player piano
14. Alain Bashung/Serge Gainsbourg - L'homme à la tête de chou
15. Kaiser Chiefs - The Future is Medieval
16. dEUS - Keep you close
17. TV on the Radio – Nine Types of Light
18. White Denim - D[/quote]

I second the recommendation of Portugal The Man.

Has anyone heard Native Speaker by Braids? It came out right at the beginning of the year, but I've only given it some airtime now. I'm really digging it. It's a really evocative album - the warm songs sound really warm and quirky, and the cold songs sound really cold. The singing takes some getting used to, but I'm really liking it now.

Lemonade

The last album of Herman Dune, Stange Moosic is very very very good.
Plenty of memorable folk songs.

Tell me something I don't know :

Ah hears strange moosic

I'm the only one to play, but whatever ;-)
Four new entries in my top 2011.
Herman Dune - Stange Moosic
The Drums - Portamento
St Vincent - Stange Mercy
The Black Keys - El Camino (this band is now huge).

3. The Black Keys - El Camino
4. Pete and The Pirates - One Thousand Pictures
5. The Kills - Blood Pressure
6. Cults - Cults
7. Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi - Rome
8. St. Vincent - Strange ercy
9. Metronomy - The English Riviera
10. Cascadeur - The Human Octopus
11. Herman Dune - Strange Moosic
12. Beirut - Rip Tide
13. Hubert Felix Thiefaine - Suppléments de mensonge
14. Cage The Elephants - Thank You, Happy Birthday
15. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
16. The Drums - Portamento
17. Memory Tapes - Player piano
18. Alain Bashung/Serge Gainsbourg - L'homme à la tête de chou
19. Kaiser Chiefs - The Future is Medieval
20. dEUS - Keep you close
21. TV on the Radio – Nine Types of Light
22. White Denim - D

And I just listen "Smith Westerns - Dye it blonde" right now and, it's the kind of album no one love here, but in my top 2011 for sure.

Romain
And I just listen "Smith Westerns - Dye it blonde" right now and, it's the kind of album no one love here, but in my top 2011 for sure.

It's my no.1! Don't know why it hasn't got more love, it's a brilliant little record

It's also my number 1.

I liked the song "Smile" from by the Smith Westerns but the whole album didn't do it for me.

I've been on a 2011 listening spree lately to catch up with some records I missed earlier in the year.

Among the good albums I'm just now hearing:

Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Tune-Yards - Whokill
Beirut - The Rip Tide
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
The Weeknd - House of Balloons

I'm not sure if this is a great year, but there sure are a lot of good to very good albums out there.

fRoots is one of those publications you can trust to go their own way and not put Adele on their list because it was popular that year, and their list is a goldmine. The number 1, June Tabor & Oysterband's Ragged Kingdom, is particularly awesome. Next to some of the greatest covers of Love Will Tear Us Apart, Seven Curses and The End of the Street you'll hear anywhere, there are 9 other absolutely solid folk-rock classics.

1 2