The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions

I just opened this thread. I think we should handle it as a regular 2011 album for now, and maybe make adjustments later if deemed necessary.

Perhaps this album will occur in a lot of all-time lists, and sometimes be chosen over Pet Sounds. Then maybe PS will have a hard time staying at #1 as a result of this release.

The album is fantastic, though I agree...calling it a 2011 album is hard...

BillAdama
We really shouldn't be considering it a 2011 album though, should we? It's a 1967 album. Bootlegs have been circulating around for years. It just happened not to be commercially released until now.

Again, though, I have to go back to Dylan's Live 1966 as a benchmark. For 32 years, it was the most famous and sought-after bootleg in rock history, and presumably by the time it was finally officially released in 1998 a great many people were already familiar with it (the electric half, at least). It was still considered a 1998 album - it landed at #3 on the Pazz & Jop list, and it probably wouldn't rank as highly as it does on AM if it hadn't made so many EOY lists.

We'll have to see how SMiLE is handled in this regard - the EOYs will start coming in soon enough, and if the album shows up on a significant number of lists (as a ranked entry, not some kind of "special mention") it'll have to be considered a 2011 release.

Here's an intriguing question: will Brian Wilson's 2004 version start to see its acclaim diminish now that "the real thing" is available? (Even though, as the liner notes take pains to point out, that album provided the template for constructing the new release.)

I haven't heard the album yet, although I probably will shortly, so can anyone tell me how it measures up to Brian Wilson's solo album "SMiLE" (2004), where he rerecorded the entire "SMiLE" album the way he wanted it to be. Looking at the tracklisting of both albums, they seem to be nearly identical. Also, which one is better?

Stephan
BillAdama
In that case, I would like to append Passion Of Joan Of Arc to my 1980 film ballot.
Not the same thing; Passion was actually released in 1928, it just went missing and reappeared in 1981.

I'm with Harold on this one, I think the critics will decide how to handle this one, and I very much doubt it will be in the top 3 for the year, even though in terms of quality it probably should.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be included, I'm just saying it shouldn't be tagged '2011'. I mean, what's the limit? If you found a Bach symphony that was never performed, recorded it, and threw it in a jewel case with nice plastic wrapping, would that make it a 2011 release? There are German films that were suppressed by the Nazis and not released until decades later, but they're still prewar films.

It should be judged against 1967 albums, not 2011 albums. It is simply not a 2011 generation.

Just heard it.
Like it a lot.
Most likely album of the year.
Really absurd that it wasn't released in 1967.
Should nevertheless be regarded as "ordinary" 2011 album.
But yes, let's compare it with other sixties albums.
In other words: Whether 1967 or 2011, just enjoy the beautiful music and SMILE.

Nick
I haven't heard the album yet, although I probably will shortly, so can anyone tell me how it measures up to Brian Wilson's solo album "SMiLE" (2004), where he rerecorded the entire "SMiLE" album the way he wanted it to be. Looking at the tracklisting of both albums, they seem to be nearly identical. Also, which one is better?

As I noted earlier, when the current release was being prepared, the track listing of the 2004 version was utilized as the template to determine what the preferred track listing would have been in 1967 - because SMiLE was never completed, they never reached the stage of finalizing the running order. So they are, in fact, more or less identical.

As to which one is better: as much as I like the 2004 album, I'm afraid it's no contest. Wilson's version is a meticulous, decades-after-the-fact reconstruction; the new release is the genuine article, as recorded in the full flower of Wilson's genius before he retreated into the shell from which - as well as he appears to be doing these days - he's never 100% fully emerged. To a certain extent, listening to the 2004 SMiLE from here on out is going to be a little like listening to a tribute band.

I side with the 1967 side of the debate. It would feel very strange listing this in my EOY rankings, but not so weird listing it in my 1967 and all-time rankings.

I just don't think many critics will list it for 2011. Archival/reissues often get very high scores on Metacritic but get no attention in EOY polls, and I think this will be another example of that.

But really, this shouldn't be the main point of discussion--the fantastic music should be. This version of "Heroes and Villains" is incredible, and is becoming one of my favorite Beach Boys songs.

Jackson
But really, this shouldn't be the main point of discussion--the fantastic music should be. This version of "Heroes and Villains" is incredible, and is becoming one of my favorite Beach Boys songs.

The entire second "movement" - from "Wonderful" through "Surf's Up" - may very well be the most beautiful music of Wilson's career. Or anyone's, for that matter.

It took me a long time to "get" "Surf's Up." For years, I knew it only as the SMiLE leftover that was re-recorded as the closing and title track of the Beach Boys' second-most-acclaimed album, and I always found it kind of pretentious and overrated. I still think it's kind of pretentious - I confess, I'm not a fan of Van Dyke Parks's lyrics in general - but hearing it within the context for which it was originally intended (first on the 2004 version and now here), it's become one of my favorite songs.