The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Lists Links...

Not sure if this was mentioned- but the link for the Bruce Pollock books takes you to the New York Times Jazz book link.

A Possible New List

I'm not sure if this list can be used but here I offer it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/arts/music/15arts-VATICANSTOP1_BRF.html

Credits...

As I'm going through the 1,001 Songs/10,001 to Download book, there are some credit notes I'm making. But one that really struck me- and I don't know if it's been discussed here or not- is "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It). Despite a U.S. credit as "Grandmaster & Melle Mel" and some international pressings crediting him, Grandmaster Flex had no participation in the track. Should it be credited under Grandmaster Flash?

Re: Credits...

JR
As I'm going through the 1,001 Songs/10,001 to Download book, there are some credit notes I'm making. But one that really struck me- and I don't know if it's been discussed here or not- is "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It). Despite a U.S. credit as "Grandmaster & Melle Mel" and some international pressings crediting him, Grandmaster Flex had no participation in the track. Should it be credited under Grandmaster Flash?
This has been mentioned before, although not in an error thread. In fact, Grandmaster Flash does not appear on "The Message" either, so I definitely should do something about the crediting at AM.

McCoy Tyner's album "Enlightenment" is listed as being from 1974, but Wikipedia and Discogs say it came out in 1973.

Faust's album "IV" is also listed as being from 1974, but actually came out in 1973.

In regards to the latest update:

1. The link for Grammys 2009 songs (for instance, on Black Eyed Peas' I Gotta Feeling" and Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" pages) is the one for the Pitchfork 2000s albums list.

2. The Porcys 2000-2004 singles list takes you to the Forums index, rather than the thread for the list.

3. It looks like The Guardian 1000 link appears in place of the ranked 75 Best Singles of the 2000s link for all pertinent tracks.

Henrik, I sent an e-mail in regards to a couple other things, that you can check out at your convenience.

as always.

-In the artist lists, 2Pac is from California not New York
-There is a typo, 1993 Wu-Tang Clan it should be Cash rules everything around me not Crash...

1993 Wu-Tang Clan it should be Cash rules everything around me not Crash...

Thanks JR and Chris.

Arcade Fire's Bubblin album is mispelt (you added a "u" in "Neighborhood".
Also, the work (Laika) should be in parenthesis.

Thanks for the update and all the great work ! I'm saying it here because the dedicated topic seems to have gone off the tracks for a while now.

And to stay in line with that topic, I point out that "Claude Francois" should be written "Claude François", actually. :)

Not many major errors have been found in the last update, making me happy.

I hope I didn't say too much now...

Regarding the spreadsheet, I think that, despite being included in the recent NME list with the 150 songs in its lifetime, "The Hindu Times" is not included.

Anyway, keep it up well Henrik

Fleet Foxes' "White Winter Hymnal" is incorrectly listed as "Winter White Hymnal."

Re: Report errors here - new thread for 11/10 update

The Microphones and Mount Eerie are the same person (Phil Elvrum) using different monikers. So they should have a combined entry, right?

Henrik,

Thanks for the update! I was updating my AM playlists when I noticed that Sam Cooke's "Shake" was listed in 1965. It was released as the A-side of "A Change is Gonna Come" at the very end of 1964. As such, both songs should be listed in 1964.

Also, and I apologize if this has been discussed before, but wasn't "For What It's Worth" released in January 1967? I know Buffalo Springfield's debut album came out in late 1966, but the original pressings did not include "For What It's Worth," which was added only after the song became a hit.

Discogs lists it as being released in 1966. December 23rd, according to RYM.

The Kanye West song "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" is incorrectly listed as "Diamond from Sierra Leone". Also, the song that the critics list are referring to is most likely the remix version of "Diamonds from Sierra Leone", as that version was a single, while the non-remix was a hidden track at the end of "Late Registration". So the song should probably be renamed as "Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix)".

Thanks for the link, Stephan. I was unsure about Buffalo Springfield. Discogs also notes that Cooke's "Shake" came out in December 1964.

The band's name is Dyke and The Blazers, not The Dyke and Blazers.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is referenced as #497 in the "500 Greatest Songs Of All Time" list by Rolling Stone-however, it's 499.

"What It's Like" by Everlast should be listed under 1998, not 1999, according to Wikipedia and Discogs.

"Don't Speak" by No Doubt should be in 1995, not 1996. It was released as a single in 1996, but it was on Tragic Kingdom, which was released in 1995.

Particle Analyst
Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is referenced as #497 in the "500 Greatest Songs Of All Time" list by Rolling Stone-however, it's 499.

It was 497 on the original list, then pushed down to 499 on the 2010 version, which hasn't beeen added yet.

"Super Bon Bon" should be 1996 (according to Discogs). It also peaked on the modtern rock charts in the U.S. in 1996.

"Don't Speak" should be listed in 1995. It was released as a single in 1996. But Tragic Kingdom was released in 1995.

According to Wikipedia and Discogs, "I Got a Man" should be listed under 1992, not 1993.

According to discogs, "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" was released in 1956.

According to Discogs, "Psychedelic Shack" was released in 1969. It peaked in the U.S. in 1970.

The Flaming Lips song is "Waitin' for a Superman" not "Waiting for Superman".

Buffalo Tom has one song from 1992 bubbling under.

The title of the song is not "Twilight Fade", but should be "Taillights Fade".

Tour De France Soundtracks of kraftwerk has 73 on metacritic

It Still Moves from my morning jacket is now 4 on allmusic

Thanks for all these corrections, Iagire!

I don't know if it's an error or not but why aren't compilation albums ever included on this list? There are many highly acclaimed compilation albums that could be included on this site.

Not so much an error as a suggestion, but I reckon you should put a link to Funkadelic/Parliament under F as well. They started out as Funkadelic and the majority of their acclaimed albums were released under the Funkadelic name, so if you don't like putting them in there twice I would argue it should be listed under Funkadelic/Parliament.

You Made Me Realize should be You Made Me Realise (the My Bloody Valentine song).