The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Future games/polls

Is anybody going to take charge of the songs poll? This should be the next major one that we do.

Jackson
Is anybody going to take charge of the songs poll? This should be the next major one that we do.

Maybe we can give the albums poll a few months to sink in.

200 songs (same as albums) getting points and welcoming those userlists...whose palett is larger/wider/deeper/bigger.

Results in by january 2012?

About the 90s poll system, I think we should make tests with the 2000s results. I like the idea of 15 albums qualifying, including a quota of underrated albums. Why not qualifying the first non anglophone album too ?
We could grab an old decade spreadsheet, test the various systems and se what co;es out (those damned qwerty british keyboards)

I can take the song poll if nobody else wants to step up.

Moonbeam

That would be awesome. I'm already working on mine as I go for a list of at least 800

I really like the idea of a "foreign album clause" - at least 1 (maybe 2?) album(s) from each year of the 90s must be non UK, non US. Those albums would probably be at the bottom of the final list, but whatever, at least we broaden our horizons.

Jackson
Moonbeam

That would be awesome. I'm already working on mine as I go for a list of at least 800

366 songs

The last song currently is "Red Army Blues" with Waterboys. And I just recently discovered "A Day In The Life" to be less good than I use to think...

At some point in time I think we should do a poll about our favorite singers/vocals.

Zorg
I really like the idea of a "foreign album clause" - at least 1 (maybe 2?) album(s) from each year of the 90s must be non UK, non US. Those albums would probably be at the bottom of the final list, but whatever, at least we broaden our horizons.

I think they would end up in the middle, because they'd get the fewest votes.

And I'd like to think the people who did listen to them wouldn't automatically dislike them because they weren't in English. So here's a proposal:

15 albums advance per year:
-Top 12 point getters
-Top point getter that is not Anglophone, or if that is in the top 12, the 13th highest point getter
-Top 2 point getters based on the highest 3 votes, other than the 13 already qualified

When I posted my top 10 albums that didn't make the cut in the '00s poll I came to think about one more way to decide the 150 albums and songs for the future decade polls - a round of "rags to riches".

We could preliminary select 150 albums and songs, either just by counting points or as BillAdama suggested above. Then, after the last yearly poll we could do a round of "rags to riches" where we list our favorite 10 or 20 albums outside the 150 and our least favorite 10 or 20 albums among the 150. Following our votes, we would then replace 10 or 20 albums/songs (rags) with 10 or 20 new ones (riches). This round should take a week at a maximum.

This might be unnecessary complicated and delay the decade poll, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Very interesting idea Henrik

My idea was to qualify 100 songs in the year per year polls as we did last year then qualify the remaining 50 on a global scale, to correct the year by year bias.

I'll open a special thread next week about the 90's poll so we can discuss the voting system. I'll be open to your suggestions.

I would rather just select 130 albums (top 10 + 1 foreign + 2 with highest average for each year for instance) and then pick 20 others regarding of the years than take 20 albums out.
First because it would be a horrible source of frustration (I would have hated to see Visitor go out this way for instance) and because some of the most polarizing albums (let's say Trout Mask Replica, Screamadelica or lots of metal and hip-hop albums) would stand no chance with this system, while their support might help them end relatively high on the final list.
I am pretty sure this would hurt love-hate albums much more than albums no one really cares about, and I don't think it is a good thing.