The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My New "Best album" Game Part 1: Starring PJ Harvey

I've only heard 3 PJ Harvey albums, so feel free to dismiss this. Here they are, ranked.

1. Let England Shake- 9.3
2. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea- 9.0
3. To Bring You My Love- 8.5

The picture showed more than her legs, if you catch my drift.

Nick, given your high grades I would definitely recommend looking into her other albums!

Stephan

Nick, given your high grades I would definitely recommend looking into her other albums!

PJ Harvey didn't really click with me until earlier this year. I had always liked her, but when I heard "Let England Shake" everything I'd heard about her just kind of made a lot more sense. I fully intend to listen to "Dry" and "Rid of Me", and if I like those I'll look into her other albums.

1. To Bring You My Love
2. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
3. Dry
4. Rid of Me
5. Let England Shake
6. White Chalk

1. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
2. To Bring You My Love
3. White Chalk
4. Let England Shake
5. Rid of Me
6. Uh Huh Her

Nick
Stephan

PJ Harvey didn't really click with me until earlier this year. I had always liked her, but when I heard "Let England Shake" everything I'd heard about her just kind of made a lot more sense. I fully intend to listen to "Dry" and "Rid of Me", and if I like those I'll look into her other albums.

The thing about Harvey is that each album she strives to do something very different. She has talked in interviews about how she works hard to create a different voice for each album (both in terms of songwriting and in terms of her actual vocals). So if you wind up not liking Dry and Rid of Me (which arguably are her rawest albums), you may like others (like the underrated Is This Desire, which is quieter and more atmospheric). See which albums are most highly rated by those of us who like the albums that you like best of hers.

Schwah
Nick
Stephan

The thing about Harvey is that each album she strives to do something very different. She has talked in interviews about how she works hard to create a different voice for each album (both in terms of songwriting and in terms of her actual vocals). So if you wind up not liking Dry and Rid of Me (which arguably are her rawest albums), you may like others (like the underrated Is This Desire, which is quieter and more atmospheric). See which albums are most highly rated by those of us who like the albums that you like best of hers.

Yeah, the rawness of "To Bring You My Love" kind of turned me off from it for a bit. I've come around to liking it a lot more since then, but I feel confident in saying that it will never be an album I'll be totally in love with.
How is it her highest rated again?

PJH is a total riddle to me. Different as she may be from one album to another, none ever caught me. That'why I pass- but I like the woman, she's very attractive even if skinny girls are not usually my type (damn I missed the pic) Gimme PJ's pics not her records !

How I'd rank them:

1. Is This Desire? (soooo so so so underrated)
2. Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
3. To Bring You My Love
4. Dry
5. Uh Huh Her

And seriously, all of you who like PJ but haven't heard Is This Desire? need to stop what you're doing and change that. It's not even close for me, it's her best work. "Angelene" "A Perfect Day Elise" "The Garden" "The River" and the title track are the obvious highlights, but the whole thing is strong and cohesive. It didn't hit me immediately but over time it drew me in immensely. I'll forever be the proud cheerleader for this album, even if nobody else will.

1. Let England Shake
2. Stories From the City...
3. Is This Desire?
4. White Chalk
5. Rid of Me
6. To Bring You My Love

OK, I'll join in on the love for "Is This Desire". Please add it as my new number 5 (and move down "Stories" and "Rid of Me" which are good but have never been personal favorites).

Just google for "PJ Harvey upskirt" I guess nicolas.

I guess now I'm looking like the French perv of this forum (and yes DSK used to be my candidate). But don't tell me you didn't google "PJ upskirt"

I did, but only to make sure you could find it. Honest.

I believe you. But I bet everybody did the checking

I'm kind of saddened by the lack of love for Rid of Me. Personally, that and Dry PJ's most direct and honest albums imo.

I guess it all depends how you came at her as an artist. I got into her as a fan of Nirvana, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Pavement, etc. So Rid of Me will always stand as her top achievement in my eyes, a Steve Albini produced hell raising album.

1. To Bring You My Love
3. Dry
4. Rid of Me
5. Let England Shake
6. Uh Huh Her

I agree Rid Of Me is PJ's best album.

Though, it's annoying that you keep having to adjust the volume.

I'm saddened that I'm the only vote so far for A Woman A Man Walked By.

Jonathon
I'm kind of saddened by the lack of love for Rid of Me. Personally, that and Dry PJ's most direct and honest albums imo.

I guess it all depends how you came at her as an artist. I got into her as a fan of Nirvana, Sonic Youth, The Pixies, Pavement, etc. So Rid of Me will always stand as her top achievement in my eyes, a Steve Albini produced hell raising album.

I think that's EXACTLY why Rid of Me doesn't hit me that hard. I feel like I've heard it before and it doesn't stand out from all other albums that are similar in sound. And I have to say, the thing I can't stand about Albini is that I hear more of him than the artist in all of his albums. In Utero, Rid of Me, Seamonsters, etc.....they're all so similar sounding and really takes away from the uniqueness of all of those artists.

1. White Chalk
2. To Bring You My Love
3. Let England Shake
4. Rid of Me
5. Dry
6. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

1. To Bring You My love
3. Let England Shake
4. Rid of Me
5. White Chalk
6. Is This Desire?

nicolas
I guess now I'm looking like the French perv of this forum (and yes DSK used to be my candidate). But don't tell me you didn't google "PJ upskirt"

What's google?

1. To Bring You My love (9.5/10 - #45 all-time)
2. Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea (9.5/10 - #92 all-time)
3. Let England Shake (9/10)
4. Is This Desire? (8/10)
5. White Chalk (7.5/10)
6. Dry (7.5/10)

7. Rid Of Me (7.5/10)
8. Uh Huh Her (6/10)

1. Is this desire ?
2. Dry
3. To Bring You My Love
4. Rid of Me

And don't really like the other album and specially "Let England Shake" I totally dislike.