Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Idea for new poll

I think this would be fun: The next album poll, or it could be a poll run after this called the Alternative Album Poll, we have everyone send in two lists. One list of their top 200 albums, and one list where you get to take 50 albums in the AM top 200 and rank them as albums you like the least and it's weighed the same as the other one except with negative points. It would make for some really interesting results I think. Thoughts?

Re: Idea for new poll

I guess everybody is still thinking or they are shy to share their thoughts...

Why would linking your favourite 200 with the worst 50 from the AM 200 be interesting? To be honest ... I don't see why this would be fun.

But hey, I've written things before and they were kindly disapproved of, so ... any positive thoughts?

The fun part to me would be that you not only get a say on what you love, you also get a say on albums you aren't so fond of. The outcome would be pretty interesting I'd think.

The albums poll has 50 voters or so? So it's possible that an album, let's say Revolver has 15 fans, but at the same time 15 voters might really hate that album but their only real say on it is leaving it off their list. It would be fun!

I think the idea might work better if the negative list wasn't restricted to the AM top 200. Perhaps an extension to have just lists of the 50 albums pollsters find the most overrated, by whatever standard they choose?

I think the result would be possibly the least noticed, and be a tournament of flying below the radar.

Also, it does seem a bit strange that any album outside of the critics' top 200 is "immune," such as:

The Zombies, Odessey & Oracle
Neutral Milk Honey, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Belle & Sebastian, If You're Feeling Sinister
Pavement, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes
Elliott Smith, Either/Or
Nick Drake, Pink Moon
Arcade Fire, The Suburbs

Interesting idea, but I think Moonbeam's idea is better. It's not fair to restrict it to the Top 200.

Actually, we could use the results of the recent All-Time Albums Poll and just send a list of the 50 most overrated albums. The problem is dat we will be biased because of the results that we already know now.

Maybe instead of the AM 200 you can pick up to 50 on the current top 200 poll? Or maybe 20? I do like calling the alternative list "Most overrated" which would keep albums everyone considers awful out of the mix. I don't think bias is an issue, that's kind of the point of the poll.