The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 80s Music

1983. I was 13 and I loved this. Lord knows why. The video is great.

There was also this. I still like it, especially the guitar. And there was a naked woman in the video... The clip was by JB Mondino (hence the number of gay clichés and the Fassbinder inspiration)

Not Neceessarily...

regarding the phrase "Guilty Pleasure." I genuinely know that acts like Olivia Newton-John and Kylie Minogue are as fluffy and light as a feather (wqhich I tend to not love if there's too much of that in an act's repertoire), but I love them. :)

Axel Bauer's not a surprise, that's just one of the greatest French songs of the 80's.

That kind of 80's funk-sounding music produced a number of great songs in French.

Les Rita Mitsouko - Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C7nX7GekLg

Serge Gainsbourg - Love on the Beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ONRpYDkhA

Taxi Girl - Dites-le fort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPvxArUXIwA

In a mildly different style...

Étienne Daho - Week-end à Rome

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ijnl_etienne-daho-week-end-a-rome_news

And also this ultimate masterpiece : Patrick Coutin "J'aime regarder les filles" (I love watching girls)

Patrick Coutin - J'aime regarder les filles [1982] par ZapMan69

and this

I was 11 and hated those songs

Though this doesn't necessarily fit with the spirit of the thread, I'd like to take a chance to repost Mindrocker's best of the 80s list, which got lost amidst a bunch of all time lists in the other thread:

Mindrocker
Part 2:

100. MICHAEL JACKSON-Thriller (Soul/Funk) 1982
99. YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA-Technodelic (New Wave) 1981
98. The SOUND-Jeopardy (New Wave) 1980
97. CAMPER VAN BEETHOVEN-Telephone Free Landslide Victory (Pop/Rock) 1985
96. YELLO-Claro Que Si? (Swiss Wave) 1981
95. ZANI DIABATE & THE SUPER DJATA BAND-Zani Diabate & The Super Djata Band (World/Africa/Mali) 1986
94. KING CRIMSON-Discipline (Pop/Rock) 1981
93. TALL DWARFS-Hello Cruel World (Pop/Rock) 1987
92. KILLING JOKE-Killing Joke (New Wave) 1980
91. EPMD-Strictly Business (Hiphop) 1988

90. GUNS 'N ROSES-Appetite For Destruction (Metal) 1987
89. RIP, RIG & PANIC-God (New Wave/Experimental) 1981
88. The SCIENTISTS-Blood Red River (Pop/Rock) 1984
87. DURAN DURAN-Rio (Synthpop) 1982
86. BAD RELIGION-No control (Punk) 1989
85. The MEMBRANES-The Gift Of Life (New Wave) 1985
84. TOM WAITS-Swordfishtrombones (Singer/songwriter) 1983
83. ART OF NOISE-Into Battle With The Art Of Noise (Synthpop) 1983
82. JOSEF K.-The Only Fun In Town (New Wave) 1981
81. DEAD KENNEDYS-Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables (Punk) 1980

80. MINISTRY-The Land Of Rape And Honey (Rock/Metal) 1988
79. FELT-The Splendour Of Fear (New Wave) 1984
78. DIAMANDA GALÁS-You Must Be Certain Of The Devil (Experimental) 1988
77. XTC-Black Sea (New Wave) 1980
76. The CURE-The Head On The Door (New Wave) 1985
75. 17 PYGMIES-Jedda By The Sea (New Wave) 1984
74. KATE BUSH-Hounds Of Love (Pop/Rock) 1985
73. G.B.H.-City Baby Attacked By Rats (Punk) 1982
72. MAD PROFESSOR-Dub Me Crazy!! (Reggae) 1982
71. DAVID BOWIE-Scary Monsters...And Super Creeps (Pop/Rock) 1980

70. MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO-Storm The Studio (Electronica/New Wave) 1989
69. The GUN CLUB-Fire Of Love (Pop/Rock) 1981
68. SIMPLE MINDS-Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call (New Wave) 1981
67. VIRGINA ASTLEY-From Gardens Where We Feel Secure (Pop/Rock) 1983
66. BUTTHOLE SURFERS-Locust Abortion Technician (Pop/Rock) 1987
65. M.D.C.-Millions Of Dead Cops (Punk) 1982
64. JOHN CALE-Music For A New Society (Pop/Rock) 1982
63. YOUNG MARBLE GIANTS-Colossal youth (New Wave) 1980
62. The DREAM SYNDICATE-The Days Of Wine And Roses (Pop/Rock) 1982
61. NEW ORDER-Power, Corruption And Lies (New Wave) 1983

60. ROKY ERICKSON & THE ALIENS-Roky Erickson & The Aliens (Pop/Rock) 1980
59. PHILIP GLASS-The Photographer (Experimental) 1983
58. The POGUES-If I Should Fall From Grace With God (Pop/Folk) 1988
57. TEST DEPARTMENT-The Unacceptable Face Of Freedom (New Wave) 1986
56. DINOSAUR Jr.-You're Living All Over Me (Pop/Rock) 1987
55. VARIOUS ARTISTS-The Rebel Kind (Pop/Rock) 1983
54. IRON MAIDEN-Iron Maiden (Metal) 1980
53. Der PLAN-Normalette Surprise (New Wave) 1981
52. MINIMAL COMPACT-Deadly Weapons (New Wave) 1984
51. NEIL YOUNG-Freedom (Pop/Rock) 1989

50. DISCHARGE-Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing (Punk) 1982
49. The SOFT BOYS-Underwater Moonlight (Pop/Rock) 1980
48. EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN-Kollaps (New Wave/Experimental) 1981
47. ALLEZ ALLEZ-African Queen (New Wave) 1981
46. R.E.M.-Lifes Rich Pageant (Pop/Rock) 1986
45. KILLING JOKE-What's THIS For..! (New Wave) 1981
44. PSYCHIC T.V.-Dreams Less Sweet (New Wave/Experimental) 1983
43. The FEELIES-The Good Earth (Pop/Rock) 1986
42. VIRGIN PRUNES-...If I Die, I Die (New Wave) 1982
41. BLOOD ON THE SADDLE-Blood On The Saddle (Pop/Rock) 1984

40. ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN-Heaven Up Here (New Wave) 1981
39. COIL-Horse Rotorvator (New Wave) 1986
38. URBAN DANCE SQUAD-Mental Floss For The Globe (Pop/Rock) 1989
37. CLOCK D.V.A.-Advantage (New Wave) 1983
36. The SMITHS-The Queen Is Dead (Pop/Rock) 1986
35. BATHORY-Under The Sign Of The Black Mark (Metal) 1987
34. DEAD CAN DANCE-Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun (New Wave) 1986
33. The BIRTHDAY PARTY-Prayers On Fire (New Wave) 1981
32. TUXEDOMOON-Desire (New Wave) 1981
31. SONIC YOUTH-Evol (Pop/Rock) 1986

30. The EXPLOITED-Troops Of Tomorrow (Punk) 1982
29. THIS MORTAL COIL-It'll End In Tears (New Wave) 1984
28. BIG BLACK-Atomizer (Pop/Rock) 1986
27. The JESUS & MARY CHAIN-Psychocandy (Pop/Rock) 1985
26. SCRAPING FOETUS OFF THE WHEEL-Hole (New Wave) 1984
25. The GUN CLUB-Miami (Pop/Rock) 1982
24. SWANS-Children Of God (New Wave) 1987
23. The WIPERS-Youth Of America (Pop/Rock) 1981
22. FRANK ZAPPA-You Are What You Is (Pop/Rock) 1981
21. BAABA MAAL & MANSOUR SECK-Djam Leeli (World/Africa/Senegal) 1983

20. JOY DIVISION-Closer (New Wave) 1980
19. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS-The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (Pop/Rock) 1987
18. SLAYER-Reign In Blood (Metal) 1986
17. DAVID BYRNE & BRIAN ENO-My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (New Wave/Experimental) 1981
16. The NOMADS-Where The Wolf Bane Blooms (Pop/Rock) 1983
15. LAURIE ANDERSON-Big Science (Experimental) 1982
14. NO MEANS NO-Wrong (Punk) 1989
13. PRINCE-Sign O' The Times (Soul/Funk) 1987
12. YELLO-Stella (New Wave) 1985
11. JULIAN COPE-World, Shut Your Mouth (Pop/Rock) 1984

10. BAD RELIGION-Suffer (Punk) 1988
09. KING SUNNY ADÉ-Juju Music (World/Africa/Nigeria) 1982
08. PUBLIC ENEMY-It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (Hiphop) 1988
07. MOTÖRHEAD-No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith (Metal) 1981
06. TOM WAITS-Frank's Wild Years (Singer/songwriter) 1987
05. The CRAMPS-Psychedelic Jungle (Pop/Rock) 1981
04. U2-Boy (Pop/Rock) 1980
03. The RESIDENTS-The Commercial Album (Experimental) 1980
02. TALKING HEADS-Remain In Light (New Wave) 1980
01. LE MYSTÈRE DES VOIX BULGARES-Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares (World/Europe/Bulgaria) 1986

A lot of quirky and interesting picks on here, and it certainly provides a different view of the 80s than most have.

Hark! It has arrived like a shining beacon!

I might just make this the longest-lived thread in this forum's history.

Before I share a boatload of 80s awesomeness, I thought I'd give a bit of background as to why I love the 80s so much. It may get sappy, so be warned!

I was born with a love of all things bright and colorful. For as long as I can remember, there has always been something magical about bright yellow and bright orange that gives me boundless... joy! Couple that with an obsession with numbers, letters and shapes, and I was a bit of an oddball kid, memorizing color names off of paint chips (Japanese quince ftw!), having my Dad drive me around so that I could look at house addresses, ranking my favorite letters of the alphabet, etc. So, instead of asking for He-man or GI Joe action figures (although I did enjoy them somewhat if they were colorful enough), I would ask for these:

or these:

There is a video of my 6th birthday in which I receive a birthday card shaped like crayons standing next to each other, and rather than jump for joy at such a thoughtful card, I ask, "where's the yellow?", dismayed that a yellow crayon wasn't there.

When I went out for Halloween, I didn't go as a werewolf, a ghost, or anything like that. One year, I want as...

a box of crayons. Two other times, I went as "the alphabet boy", with various letters sewn onto my shirt and pants.

When I was in kindergarten, my teacher called my mom to ask about an assignment. For this assignment, we were instructed to draw shapes with various colors. I was the only one who failed, and my mom had to explain to the teacher that for me, shapes, colors, numbers and letters weren't just what they are, but that they were my friends. And naturally I had them in favorite order. So because yellow was my favorite color and triangles were my favorite shape, V was my favorite letter and 8 was my favorite number, every triangle, V and 8 I drew with crayon had to be yellow. And so on with squares, K and 4 being orange, my second favorite color, etc.

Although I never actually got a yellow V magnetic letter, you'd better believe I painted one yellow.

You might think that this is something I would grow out of over time, but to this day, the easiest present that can be purchased for me with a guarantee I'll love it is something bright yellow or orange. When it was time to choose a university, I battled with the decision and prayed for months for an answer. I ended up very happy with my choice of university, and here is its logo:

That's right, a yellow V helped me to make my decision. And where did I go to graduate school? The University of Utah, of course, because it was always my favorite due to its awesome shape!

I've dyed my hair bright yellow and bright orange on different occasions. My current car? Bright yellow. My basketball team's jersey color? Bright yellow. My favorite shoes? Bright yellow. My second favorite state? New Mexico. Why? Perhaps its license plate (another thing I collected with abandon) has something to do with it:

Want to make me happy with wrapping paper?

There's a yellow V magnetic letter that my wife bought me on our refrigerator right now holding up a picture of Veronica, a Ugandan girl we sponsor.

So yeah, this is pretty much me.

So where does music fit in? When I was a young kid, I wasn't such a big music fan. I was more into letters, numbers, colors and sports. But I did like video games a whole bunch. And it was probably here where my love of music was born.

My favorite video games were these:

These video games were so much fun, especially because they had all these great, bright colors and this coooooool robot music. I mean, do you HEAR those synths?!

Now for some sappy stuff. All of this made me a rather easy target in school. Here I was, a kid with boundless JOY who didn't give a crap about clothing brands, dressed up in the aforementioned costumes for Halloween, and made so widely known my adamant obsession with these letters, numbers and other miscellany like Utah, Czechoslovakia (V, Z and K?! It even beats Uzbekistan!) and Rutherford B. Hayes. I wore my brightly colored heart on my sleeve, so to speak, and that's a big no-no in school if you want to be well-liked! I had some great friends, but I still was the object of a lot of teasing and derision. So when it came to music, it made sense that I would gravitate toward the 80s, a decade that CELEBRATED these weird, wild and wonderful colors and didn't apologize for any of it! I gained a lot of self-confidence and the strength to not conform for the sake of fitting in through the strength of Annie Lennox's take-no-prisoners fiery orange hair and Prince's unapologetic combination of weirdness and badassness in spite of his minute stature and they became personal heroes. And if Robert Smith could get away with that hairstyle and makeup, how could I not be fine with my own unique quirks? Janet Jackson was the most beautiful woman in the world to me in 1989, and she wore keys as earrings and synthed up with the best of them! Maybe there was hope that the girl I had been praying to come into my life from age 4 would not only accept me, but love me.

And so it is that the 80s, with all of its uncompromisingly gauche visual and sonic displays captures the essence of who I am so well.

So you can understand why I wouldn't complain if I was trapped in the world captured in this video:

I guess it should come as no surprise that I like every single song posted here more than anything I've heard by The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Eagles, etc.

My favorite new discoveries so far:

Jennifer Rush - "Ring of Ice"
Axel Bauer - "Dargo de Nuit"
Les Rita Mitsouko - "Andy"
Étienne Daho - "Week-end à Rome"
Bernard Lavilliers - "Night Bird"

Keep 'em coming!

I had never seen the video for "Missing You" at all. It is indeed hilarious! I've loved the song for a long time.

Then I'm doing an Étienne Daho post. You just need to know him if you like that kind of sound.

Épaule Tattoo

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x2b7_etienne-daho-epaule-tatoo_music

Tombé pour la France

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mx63_etienne-daho-tombe-pour-la-france_people#rel-page-4

Duel au Soleil (Extended version - I couldn't find the album version)

http://www.wat.tv/video/duel-soleil-etienne-daho-2asq5_2ixo5_.html

Bleu comme toi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSd1j3CPv4

Des heures hindoues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYFNirhMEU

You might also like Arnold Turboust, who was his producer at the time. Unfortunately, he did exactly the same kind of music with nearly the same voice, so he never met the same success.

Adélaïde - Arnold Turboust with Zabou Breitman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crzkr46TdME

Francine's song - Arnold Turboust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaK3hXAqro

Moonbeam

GREAT story !! You've probably heard of synesthesia . You're probably a synesthete, like one out of 23 people !!
I'm a spatial-sequence synesthete (numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space for me). I could DRAW you how I perceive History and dates. I could draw you a 3-dimensional 20th century (and it woon't't be a straight line).
And styles of music and decades have a distinct color to me. The 00's are white/grey, the 90s are yellow, the 80s purple, the 70s orange/red, the 60's brown/black, the 50s are greesn, etc... Soul is brown (of course), blues I won't tell you, country's yellow, etc...

ANd Moonbeam, you chose Australia as a place to live. What's the national rugby/soccer team's jersey color ?

Roooh, what a beautiful thread.
And nobody French put a vid of the parfect 80's French artist : the unique Richard Gotainer ;-) It's a shame.

Primitif :

La ballade de l'obsédé :

nicolas
Moonbeam

GREAT story !! You've probably heard of synesthesia . You're probably a synesthete, like one out of 23 people !!
I'm a spatial-sequence synesthete (numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space for me). I could DRAW you how I perceive History and dates. I could draw you a 3-dimensional 20th century (and it woon't't be a straight line).
And styles of music and decades have a distinct color to me. The 00's are white/grey, the 90s are yellow, the 80s purple, the 70s orange/red, the 60's brown/black, the 50s are greesn, etc... Soul is brown (of course), blues I won't tell you, country's yellow, etc...

ANd Moonbeam, you chose Australia as a place to live. What's the national rugby/soccer team's jersey color ?

This is getting spooky! I'd never heard of synthesia before, but it definitely seems to fit for me!

9s are definitely pink, while 8s are yellow of course!

As for decades, I've always felt that the 60s were brown, the 70s orange, the 80s yellow, the 90s a burnt red, and I agree with the 00s being white/pale gray. I haven't pinpointed specific genres, but songs definitely have color for me.

I remember always thinking Prince's "Cream" was a slightly pale royal blue, and I was shocked when the single cover seemed to agree:

The Cure's "Lovesong" seems a perfect match for the green in the text of its cover, too.

I also have connotations for months and days of the week, etc.

OK, time to share some underrated wonders!

I feel like a fool for taking so long to get into his music, but André Cymone has become one of my favorite Prince proteges, if not my favorite. Here are some of my favorites:

Baby Don't Go: The number one pleading love song on Saturn in 2187. I love the photon beats and the sustained synths.

Stay: The number one bed-burner on Saturn in 2187. Even Prince could be proud of such sultry, funky, lascivious lust.

Get It Girl: I'll share the top comment from YouTube: "This is like Prince was partying in Berlin with Kraftwerk drinking champagne, then he got into his purple time machine and traveled to 2034 to find some ass."

Livin' in the New Wave: In case anyone forgot, André Cymone is a BASS player. The rhythm is soooooo tight I can't stand it, and I love that synth freak out at 2:58.

Kelly's Eyes: The poppiest song on the first 2 albums, and one I just can't resist!

The Dance Electric: The one song Prince gave to André became his biggest hit. It is a real monster and one that Prince was foolish to give away. Prince's 10-minute version is just epic and stands toe to toe with the best tracks from Purple Rain.

synesthesia ain't spooky at all ! Many geniuses were synesthetes (Duke Ellington, Kandinsky, Ligeti, Lizst, Messian, Nabokov, Thom Yorke, Baudelaire, Richard D. James, etc...)

nicolas
synesthesia ain't spooky at all ! Many geniuses were synesthetes (Duke Ellington, Kandinsky, Ligeti, Lizst, Messian, Nabokov, Thom Yorke, Baudelaire, Richard D. James, etc...)

Not spooky as a condition, but spooky to discover a name for an abstract feeling I've felt for so long!

Moonbeam, nice story about why you love the 80s. It's very illuminating, not least because in a way it made me understand how someone who loves pop music could be so totally unimpressed with the Beatles.

I look forward to more of your posts. There's been some fun and interesting videos posted by others too, and there's quite a few things to check out on Mindrocker's list.

PS: I'm allergic to lemon (of all things) so sadly yellow isn't one of my favourite colours.

Moonbeam, I told the story to my kids and my daughter Cyann (7 y.o.) has something for you

No surprise that Zelda was among your favorite games Moonbeam, 3 yellow triangles for the price of one ^^

4 or 5 years ago I might have gone with the general opinion that 80s are the worst decade (give or take its 2 last years), now I can say that the decade I like the less is by far the 70s, first because I don't find much interest in them before the apparition of punk but also because 80s are much better than I expected, a thing I discovered partly thanks to the Pitchfork 500.

Sure, there are not that much great albums there for me, but it was an awesome decade in term of songs.

First there were the musical genres based more on singles or EPs than on albums : early house and techno with Rythim is Rhythim or M/A/R/R/S, old school hip-hop from Sugar Hill Gang singles (Rapper's Delight, Apache and 8th Wonder) to Funky 4+1 or Rammelzee... You could maybe add pop in this list, let's take Hall and Oats for instance, great singles but is there any solid albums ?
Heck, even an ex Eagles did a song I like

Then there are the musical genres I have hard time standing on a full album but with great songs, this mostly is metal and hard-core. There are some metal albums I like (by Metallica and Slayer mostly) but for hard-core, I love my Minor Threat, Black Flag, Husker Dü, Crass or Reagan Youth but I don't want to listen to them through a whole album, add the Butthole Surfers if you consider them hardcore (the first exception will be Fugazi, and well, mostly repeater, so welcome to the 90s)
Heck, even silly and childish punk, like the awesome Dead Milkmen are hard to take on a full album.

bonus track : this idiotically fun hard-core song by Dayglow Abortion I discovered thanks to 2 Many DJ's awesome mixtape "Hardcore or Die"

And then there are lot of artists, major or not, who I only enjoy a few singles. Whether they are critics darlings (the Smiths, Springsteen, Jesus and Mary Chain...) or underground heroes (Siouxsie, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus...).

So, here are my top 10 songs from the Pitchfork 500 by bands of which I could not name any other song (excluding M/A/R/R/S, given that they don't have any other song)

1980 : Funky 4+1 - That's The Joint a prime example from when hip-hop what mainly a fun child of disco
1981 : The Clean - Tally Ho! : You don't get much more innocuous than this keyboard melody
1983 : Billy Bragg - A New England : A single guitar electric is enough for a powerful and sincere song.
Liquid Liquid - Optimo : I now know where bands like !!! are taking there sound from, this song is incredibly propulsive
Shannon - Let the Music Play : No doubt that this song is from the 80's, it encapsulates the song of the pop of its decade. But it does it with wit and talent. The pitch describes it as "disco inside a pinball machine" and I could not find a better description.
1984 : Section 25 - Looking From a Hilltop : Shannon was the warm side of the 80s sound, here comes the cold and cerebral side
1987 The Vaselines - Son of a gun : the indie pop/rock of the end of the 80s (don't know if indie has a sense back then) has a great talent for sounding cute, in a good way. I heard the Vaselines were one of Kurt Cobain's favorite group, you have to listen closely to hear the link but you will find it
1988 Beat Happening - Indian Summer rudimentary drums and guitars make a song that both remind you of the VU and paves the way, among others, of the indie sound of the 90s
Slick Rick - Children's Story : you have most of Eminem's carrer summed up in this song : great story-telling, deadpan delivery and call-and-response
1989Another Sunny Day - You Should All Be Murdered : I should not enjoy a song that sounds like the Smiths that much, but I do

Dan M
Moonbeam, nice story about why you love the 80s. It's very illuminating, not least because in a way it made me understand how someone who loves pop music could be so totally unimpressed with the Beatles.

I look forward to more of your posts. There's been some fun and interesting videos posted by others too, and there's quite a few things to check out on Mindrocker's list.

PS: I'm allergic to lemon (of all things) so sadly yellow isn't one of my favourite colours.

I love lemons, but they have nothing on pineapple.

nicolas
Moonbeam, I told the story to my kids and my daughter Cyann (7 y.o.) has something for you

This is seriously one of my favorite pictures ever. If only I ever had yellow 8s! And not just one, but 2!

We have 3 of them !
But the Vs on this set are purple
If you want we can send you one or 2

Great thread and awesome post by Moonbeam!!
But during the early eighties (or should I specify from 1982 to 1984?) I was not so much into synth-pop but more into sophisti-pop, a kind of retro style that vindicated diverse non-rock styles like soul, Latin or bossa. I wrote a thread about it back in 2008. More than a half of the You Tube links doesn’t work anymore and some unwanted smilies appeared on the text but maybe some of the newcomers of the forum would like it (hey, Dan M, take a look!). By the way I announced parts 2, 3 and 4 that I never did (but I selected the songs and made some compilations from some friends). Maybe next year I could complete it...