Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2011 AMF All-Time Albums Poll Results Thread: Top 100

Particle Analyst
Henry
Particle Analyst
25-21

I'm not the man with a taste for Neil Young either. In terms of songwriting and vocals the men for folk to me were always and will forever be Bruce and Bob. "Harvest" and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" are very good, but nothing else excites me that much, including this. Especially the way he sings in some parts as in the s/t track is unbearable. Anyway it has its moments and a gift for creating a special atmosphere.

I have been less than enthusiastic about many of Neil Young's recording over the years, but After the Gold Rush worked best for me. Other albums had great tracks, like Alabama and Old Man and many others. But, for consistent quality throughout the entire album After the Gold Rush is by far my favorite Neil Young effort. The most exciting song for me on the album is Southern Man. Lofgren is great on guitar in this song. I find Young's vocals on the title track work just fine for me. I wonder if you are as distracted (annoyed) by Dylan's vocals as I am on his most recent albums including: Modern Time and Love and Theft. My friends who say Dylan perform about 2-4 years ago in Austin, were thoroughly disappointed and compared his vocal efforts to that of a dying goat. I wonder whether you find Young's vocals on After the Gold Rush to be as annoying, or just annoying enough to put you off a little bit.

Sorry for not responding that long, real-life business had me going away from the forum for a while. Anyway I'm back

Well some tracks in it are really superb and you could say they make the album ("Don't Let It Bring You Down", "When You Dance, I Can Really Love", "Only Love Can Break Your Heart") but I don't think it's that consistent since often Young exaggerates ("After The Gold Rush", "Birds") or ends up being so annoyingly deadpan ("Till The Morning Comes") in his vocals, something happening in the weakest songs there, and the rest is good but not mind-blowing. That's of course only me. As a hardcore fan of the '60s era of Dylan I have to admit I'm disappointed by the weariness of his voice in the last decade (especially "Modern Times"-glad I didn't buy it). I always found his voice exciting, multi-layered and entertaining and was critical of anyone saying he "sounded funny" if we stay in the first two decades of his career. But it's all pretty much downhill from there. He still has the gift for gentle songwriting in terms of lyrics and music (the reason I actually kinda liked "Love And Theft") but you can't avoid to imagine how better it would be with a decent voice. If I had to pick between those two, yes, it would be early Young any time of the day.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Our view of Dylan appears to be quite similar.

I need to listen to After The Gold Rush", "Birds" and "Till The Morning Comes" again with your comments in mind. I have thorougly enjoyed each of these songs for more than three decades, but value your perspective and want to make sure that I consider it.

Although I don't see myself enjoying these songs any less in the future, it's frequently enlightening to consider the superb insights that you and others provide in this forum and keep these insights in mind as they apply to the particular songs they are initially applied to and perhaps other songs where they seem to fit in my view.

Re: 2011 AMF All-Time Albums Poll Results Thread: Top 100

Henry

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Our view of Dylan appears to be quite similar.

I need to listen to After The Gold Rush", "Birds" and "Till The Morning Comes" again with your comments in mind. I have thorougly enjoyed each of these songs for more than three decades, but value your perspective and want to make sure that I consider it.

Although I don't see myself enjoying these songs any less in the future, it's frequently enlightening to consider the superb insights that you and others provide in this forum and keep these insights in mind as they apply to the particular songs they are initially applied to and perhaps other songs where they seem to fit in my view.

Always welcome

Well, I think that my comments won't change your way of enjoying these songs too I never have in mind changing somebody else's opinion with my writing since I don't have other purpose doing that than exposing my own taste. Anyway, thanks a lot for the consideration and the compliment in the last paragraph, even though I never thought that my insights were any good, how about superb !

I'm pretty much a noob in this forum, but the amount of knowledge (not speaking about taste because judging a thing like that is pointless in my opinion) by the members is unbelievable making it instantly a website of quality.

1 2