Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2011 AMF All-Time Albums Poll Results Thread

nicolas
I'd bet you'd dislike Harvest. It's a great album, though. Superb songs and arrangements. But way uncool for 21st centrury hipsters. Not dark enough ? Dad's music ? Lol

There were 6 NY albums in my top 200

1. After The Goldrush
2. Harvest
3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
4. Zuma
5. Tonight's The Night
6. Rust Never Sleeps

On the Beach has a cool cover, but it's a minor album IMO. On The Beach is a lesser known album so it's cool to say you like it ?
I'm kidding guys.

PS : I could have put Tonight's The Night above Zuma (they were #111 and #115).

Many now consider On the Beach Neil's masterwork, and not because it's "lesser known" and cool. Because it has great music that is stripped down and emotional.

It's one of his most cohesive works, every song is good, "Ambulance Blues" is possibly his best song ever.

Personally for me with Neil:

1. On The Beach
2. Tonight's the Night
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
5. After the Gold Rush
6. Zuma
7. Ragged Glory
8. Harvest

I think Harvest is pretty inconsistent. One song that I often see cited as a top Harvest song "A Man Needs a Maid", I consider one of Neil's worst outings; I find the lyric bone-headed, and the over the top arrangement underscores that fact.

How many voters did we end up with?

Looks like my whole top 9 made the top 500 !

I'm surprised by the high ranking of Kurt Vile, I though PJ would be the only one who had a chance of putting a 2011 album in the top 500.

And I have never heard of "An Electric Storm" by White Noise, the only non 2010/2011 unranked album so far.

Green River and the Chirping Crickets are too low!

I guess umm I umm am responsible for Kurt Vile's high positioning

But anyway, great! So excited! Weird seeing Joanna so low.

Nice list so far. Wondering what scheme did we use for points this time?

Jonathon
Sky Blue Sky makes the top 500? That's embarassing. That album doesn't belong in the top 3000.
Can we give this discussion a rest, please.

I'm surprised Marshal Mathers LP is so low. It should at least be higher than a certain other self-hyping self-referential rapper, cause Eminem's way better at ego flaunting with wordplay.

Weird how many people are just putting the thing they're listening to right this very moment on an all time list. Already three 2011 albums, maybe more if I skipped over one.

The only thing that surprises me about The Marshall Mathers LP is that it was so high in the first place. Eminem's a great rapper, one of the best lyrically and rhythmically, but he makes inconsistent albums. It's as simple as that. He's best served when showing off his rapping ability, like on his verse in Renegade or in Lose Yourself, which works better in just one song than it does throughout an entire album.

Henrik
Jonathon
Sky Blue Sky makes the top 500? That's embarassing. That album doesn't belong in the top 3000.
Can we give this discussion a rest, please.

Yes, Lordship. *sneaks off to the wilco thread to argue more.*

BillAdama
I'm surprised Marshal Mathers LP is so low. It should at least be higher than a certain other self-hyping self-referential rapper, cause Eminem's way better at ego flaunting with wordplay.

Eminem is a better songwriter than Kanye, but Kanye is a much better producer, hence why I like him more. I guess it all depends on what you value more though.

Also, 2011 albums listed so far-

Kurt Vile- Smoke Ring for My Halo- 459
Radiohead- The King of Limbs- 439
Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues- 359

And I guess while I'm at it, 2010 albums listed so far-

Joanna Newsom- Have One On Me- 462
The Tallest Man on Earth- The Wild Hunt- 408
Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty- 376
Beach House- Teen Dream- 374
Vampire Weekend- Contra- 361

Great presentation! The results seem very intriguing, though I'm disappointed from the low positions of Elton John's magnus opus and, especially, " Straight Outta Compton" ( the quintessential masterpiece of the misunderstood music genre it represents, of course along with " It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back"). I'm also surprised from the low ranking of "Master Of Puppets" despite its popularity ( not a great fan of it though). Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the list! Keep up doing so well!

Vanillafire1000

I'm guessing that the 30 or so ballots may not give an accurate representation with the points scheme.

Wait for the top 200 where you will probably need to get on 10+ ballots to show up, the list will feel more "realistic" then.

"accurate", "realistic" ? I don't really understand.
What is your reference ? The AM top 3000 ?

What's the point to this poll if the results are the same as what we expected ?

No what I find intersting, especially in this area of the list, is that it's got personality. It reflects the tastes of the people here.
70s soft rock, gangsta rap and metal are not favorite genres here (and I regret this), that explains the low rankings outlined by Particle Analyst.
But we also see lesser acclaimed albums that are shared by voters, which means that this forum is useful in its main goal : recommending the music you like to other people

nicolas
Vanillafire1000

I'm guessing that the 30 or so ballots may not give an accurate representation with the points scheme.

Wait for the top 200 where you will probably need to get on 10+ ballots to show up, the list will feel more "realistic" then.

I think by "accurate" he means something more like "statistically significant." Most of the albums listed so far are separated by a small amount of points and votes. Most of them wouldn't have made top 500 if they lost their top voter, while the albums in the top 200 are more entrenched and would rank highly again if the sample of voters was slightly different.

That being said, I find the portion of the list presented so far a whole lot more interesting than the upper part of the list.

Evan
The only thing that surprises me about The Marshall Mathers LP is that it was so high in the first place. Eminem's a great rapper, one of the best lyrically and rhythmically, but he makes inconsistent albums. It's as simple as that. He's best served when showing off his rapping ability, like on his verse in Renegade or in Lose Yourself, which works better in just one song than it does throughout an entire album.

That is true, every time I listen to the Marshal Mathers LP I find myself wishing it ended about halfway through. But, I would say the same thing about Archandroid and Illinois, both of which are among my personal faves.

I just hate to see a more talented rapper doing the same thing better lose out to him whose name I will not mention at this time.

Jackson
nicolas
Vanillafire1000

I think by "accurate" he means something more like "statistically significant." Most of the albums listed so far are separated by a small amount of points and votes. Most of them wouldn't have made top 500 if they lost their top voter, while the albums in the top 200 are more entrenched and would rank highly again if the sample of voters was slightly different.

That being said, I find the portion of the list presented so far a whole lot more interesting than the upper part of the list.

That is what I mean. There were 52 lists for this poll compared to 68 in 2009. With the small sample size, and people putting up different sized lists (most did 200, but some do 50 or 100) it makes it so a small percentage of the voting populace can greatly effect the ranking of any album. Showing up as 200 (the booby prize) on an extra person's list for any of these albums would move it up 50 more spots. Which is partially why there are less hip-hop, jazz, and country albums on the list.

BillAdama
Evan

That is true, every time I listen to the Marshal Mathers LP I find myself wishing it ended about halfway through. But, I would say the same thing about Archandroid and Illinois, both of which are among my personal faves.

I just hate to see a more talented rapper doing the same thing better lose out to him whose name I will not mention at this time.

You're going to freak when MBDTF breaks into the T100 aren't you?

Great list so far! I like that there are less lists in it this time. There's still enough for concensus, but there will be less uniformity in the results.

Nah, I expect it. I'll just make a snide comment or two.

Hey, he's right, better to be overrated than underpaid. He's better than anyone else at using the internet for mass hypnotism. He got every critic to declare it a masterpiece before hearing it. Critics still can't review the album without talking about his PR stunts and barely referencing the actual music.

Most artists create albums that are good because they sound good. Kanye made one that is good just because it is good.

In this stretch, 2 albums that were in the low regions of my list : Parsley, Sage... (my number 200) and Michigan at a surprisingly low spot.

I hope Highway To Hell will score better than Back In Black but given the lack of love for AC/DC here, have few illusions.

Jackson
we're still too Kind of Blue-dependent as a forum.

yup. there goes my recent citalopram induced enthusiasm...

I love The XX's cover art. Just as minimalist and understated as the actual music.

So...for those keeping track, 30 of the top 200 albums from last time have fallen out, the highest-ranked being Blue Lines, which was #121 in '09.

It looks like 4 (maybe 5) of the 30 new entries will be 2010 albums. I'm wondering if any 2011 releases will show up in the top 200; I can think of two that might.

Great job so far, Jackson. Can't wait to see the rest.

I wonder if Weezer's classics would be higher if they stopped making music after Pinkerton. Not that I'd want that since a lot of people still love their music, but if they were a two album band I bet one or both of those albums would be top 100.

I haven't chimed in yet- A lot of my top 100 has already been revealed. I can't complain if something hit the top 500 but here are a few I think should be a lot higher:

Paul Simon: There Goes Rhymin' Simon- The second best album Simon made after Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Beck: Mutations- Odelay holds a special place in my heart as well, but like Nicolas said, this is his best.

Paul McCartney: Ram- In many cases McCartney's solo work is justifiably overlooked and I think that's why not many people have given Ram a chance. But, it's a fantastic album, easily my favorite Beatles solo album.

There are a few more I could comment on, but I can understand why those can fall down to the 300-500 range. But, I definitely needed to speak my piece on the three above!

Jonathon
nicolas
I'd bet you'd dislike Harvest. It's a great album, though. Superb songs and arrangements. But way uncool for 21st centrury hipsters. Not dark enough ? Dad's music ? Lol

There were 6 NY albums in my top 200

1. After The Goldrush
2. Harvest
3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
4. Zuma
5. Tonight's The Night
6. Rust Never Sleeps

On the Beach has a cool cover, but it's a minor album IMO. On The Beach is a lesser known album so it's cool to say you like it ?
I'm kidding guys.

PS : I could have put Tonight's The Night above Zuma (they were #111 and #115).

Many now consider On the Beach Neil's masterwork, and not because it's "lesser known" and cool. Because it has great music that is stripped down and emotional.

It's one of his most cohesive works, every song is good, "Ambulance Blues" is possibly his best song ever.

Personally for me with Neil:

1. On The Beach
2. Tonight's the Night
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
5. After the Gold Rush
6. Zuma
7. Ragged Glory
8. Harvest

I think Harvest is pretty inconsistent. One song that I often see cited as a top Harvest song "A Man Needs a Maid", I consider one of Neil's worst outings; I find the lyric bone-headed, and the over the top arrangement underscores that fact.

This scintillating Neil Young discussion is whetting my appetite for next Saturday's Bridge School Benefit concert at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, California.

Is anyone else going the concert?