Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2011 AMF All-Time Albums Poll Results Thread

I'll attempt to explain my love for "Illmatic".

1. The album perfectly captures the zeitgeist of early 90's east coast hip-hop.

2. The album's production is really minimalist and uses a variety of different instrumentation successfully (a piano on "NY State of Mind", the saxophone on "Life's a Bitch", the xylophone on "One Love", etc.)

3. The album's minimalist production leaves the album uncrowded and gives Nas's rapping a lot of room to breathe. Nas not only has a great flow, but he's a great lyricist, and above all, a great storyteller.

Case in point-

"I keep some E&J, sittin bent up in the stairway
Or either on the corner bettin Grants with the celo champs
Laughin at baseheads, tryin to sell some broken amps
G-Packs get off quick, forever niggaz talk shit
Remeniscing about the last time the Task Force flipped
Niggaz be runnin through the block shootin
Time to start the revolution, catch a body head for Houston
Once they caught us off guard, the Mac-10 was in the grass and
I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin
Pick the Mac up, told brothers, "Back up," the Mac spit
Lead was hittin niggaz one ran, I made him backflip
Heard a few chicks scream my arm shook, couldn't look
Gave another squeeze heard it click yo, my shit is stuck
Try to cock it, it wouldn't shoot now I'm in danger
Finally pulled it back and saw three bullets caught up in the chamber
So now I'm jetting to the building lobby
and it was filled with children probably couldn't see as high as I be."

- "NY State of Mind"

4. The album capture's the bleakness of living in the projects, but instead of celebrating the so called "gangsta" lifestyle, Nas remains rather optimistic throughout the album, even when he's being totally realistic about the world around him.

5. It's incredibly concise. Not a second is wasted.

How many voters did we end up with?

Looks like my whole top 9 made the top 500 !

I'm surprised by the high ranking of Kurt Vile, I though PJ would be the only one who had a chance of putting a 2011 album in the top 500.

And I have never heard of "An Electric Storm" by White Noise, the only non 2010/2011 unranked album so far.

Green River and the Chirping Crickets are too low!

I guess umm I umm am responsible for Kurt Vile's high positioning

But anyway, great! So excited! Weird seeing Joanna so low.

Nice list so far. Wondering what scheme did we use for points this time?

Jonathon
Sky Blue Sky makes the top 500? That's embarassing. That album doesn't belong in the top 3000.
Can we give this discussion a rest, please.

I'm surprised Marshal Mathers LP is so low. It should at least be higher than a certain other self-hyping self-referential rapper, cause Eminem's way better at ego flaunting with wordplay.

Weird how many people are just putting the thing they're listening to right this very moment on an all time list. Already three 2011 albums, maybe more if I skipped over one.

The only thing that surprises me about The Marshall Mathers LP is that it was so high in the first place. Eminem's a great rapper, one of the best lyrically and rhythmically, but he makes inconsistent albums. It's as simple as that. He's best served when showing off his rapping ability, like on his verse in Renegade or in Lose Yourself, which works better in just one song than it does throughout an entire album.

Henrik
Jonathon
Sky Blue Sky makes the top 500? That's embarassing. That album doesn't belong in the top 3000.
Can we give this discussion a rest, please.

Yes, Lordship. *sneaks off to the wilco thread to argue more.*

BillAdama
I'm surprised Marshal Mathers LP is so low. It should at least be higher than a certain other self-hyping self-referential rapper, cause Eminem's way better at ego flaunting with wordplay.

Eminem is a better songwriter than Kanye, but Kanye is a much better producer, hence why I like him more. I guess it all depends on what you value more though.

Also, 2011 albums listed so far-

Kurt Vile- Smoke Ring for My Halo- 459
Radiohead- The King of Limbs- 439
Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues- 359

And I guess while I'm at it, 2010 albums listed so far-

Joanna Newsom- Have One On Me- 462
The Tallest Man on Earth- The Wild Hunt- 408
Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty- 376
Beach House- Teen Dream- 374
Vampire Weekend- Contra- 361

Great presentation! The results seem very intriguing, though I'm disappointed from the low positions of Elton John's magnus opus and, especially, " Straight Outta Compton" ( the quintessential masterpiece of the misunderstood music genre it represents, of course along with " It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back"). I'm also surprised from the low ranking of "Master Of Puppets" despite its popularity ( not a great fan of it though). Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the list! Keep up doing so well!

Vanillafire1000

I'm guessing that the 30 or so ballots may not give an accurate representation with the points scheme.

Wait for the top 200 where you will probably need to get on 10+ ballots to show up, the list will feel more "realistic" then.

"accurate", "realistic" ? I don't really understand.
What is your reference ? The AM top 3000 ?

What's the point to this poll if the results are the same as what we expected ?

No what I find intersting, especially in this area of the list, is that it's got personality. It reflects the tastes of the people here.
70s soft rock, gangsta rap and metal are not favorite genres here (and I regret this), that explains the low rankings outlined by Particle Analyst.
But we also see lesser acclaimed albums that are shared by voters, which means that this forum is useful in its main goal : recommending the music you like to other people

nicolas
Vanillafire1000

I'm guessing that the 30 or so ballots may not give an accurate representation with the points scheme.

Wait for the top 200 where you will probably need to get on 10+ ballots to show up, the list will feel more "realistic" then.

I think by "accurate" he means something more like "statistically significant." Most of the albums listed so far are separated by a small amount of points and votes. Most of them wouldn't have made top 500 if they lost their top voter, while the albums in the top 200 are more entrenched and would rank highly again if the sample of voters was slightly different.

That being said, I find the portion of the list presented so far a whole lot more interesting than the upper part of the list.

Evan
The only thing that surprises me about The Marshall Mathers LP is that it was so high in the first place. Eminem's a great rapper, one of the best lyrically and rhythmically, but he makes inconsistent albums. It's as simple as that. He's best served when showing off his rapping ability, like on his verse in Renegade or in Lose Yourself, which works better in just one song than it does throughout an entire album.

That is true, every time I listen to the Marshal Mathers LP I find myself wishing it ended about halfway through. But, I would say the same thing about Archandroid and Illinois, both of which are among my personal faves.

I just hate to see a more talented rapper doing the same thing better lose out to him whose name I will not mention at this time.

Jackson
nicolas
Vanillafire1000

I think by "accurate" he means something more like "statistically significant." Most of the albums listed so far are separated by a small amount of points and votes. Most of them wouldn't have made top 500 if they lost their top voter, while the albums in the top 200 are more entrenched and would rank highly again if the sample of voters was slightly different.

That being said, I find the portion of the list presented so far a whole lot more interesting than the upper part of the list.

That is what I mean. There were 52 lists for this poll compared to 68 in 2009. With the small sample size, and people putting up different sized lists (most did 200, but some do 50 or 100) it makes it so a small percentage of the voting populace can greatly effect the ranking of any album. Showing up as 200 (the booby prize) on an extra person's list for any of these albums would move it up 50 more spots. Which is partially why there are less hip-hop, jazz, and country albums on the list.

BillAdama
Evan

That is true, every time I listen to the Marshal Mathers LP I find myself wishing it ended about halfway through. But, I would say the same thing about Archandroid and Illinois, both of which are among my personal faves.

I just hate to see a more talented rapper doing the same thing better lose out to him whose name I will not mention at this time.

You're going to freak when MBDTF breaks into the T100 aren't you?

Great list so far! I like that there are less lists in it this time. There's still enough for concensus, but there will be less uniformity in the results.

Nah, I expect it. I'll just make a snide comment or two.

Hey, he's right, better to be overrated than underpaid. He's better than anyone else at using the internet for mass hypnotism. He got every critic to declare it a masterpiece before hearing it. Critics still can't review the album without talking about his PR stunts and barely referencing the actual music.

Most artists create albums that are good because they sound good. Kanye made one that is good just because it is good.

In this stretch, 2 albums that were in the low regions of my list : Parsley, Sage... (my number 200) and Michigan at a surprisingly low spot.

I hope Highway To Hell will score better than Back In Black but given the lack of love for AC/DC here, have few illusions.

Jackson
we're still too Kind of Blue-dependent as a forum.

yup. there goes my recent citalopram induced enthusiasm...

No love for Aretha Franklin either? LCD Soundsystem's and '00s' finest hour out of the top 200?

Anyway, happy to see some appreciation for the somewhat underrated "Parade" and " Trout Mask Replica" not in a Top 100, in contrast with most of the critics' lists out there.

I wonder what's gonna be the first Rolling Stones record we are going to see in this countdown.

Very cool list so far! Lots of quirky picks and unexpected results. The only thing that disappoints me so far is the high placement of Coldplay relative to their AM places, which is frankly quite disgusting.

Thanks Jackson !

to nj : yes indeed (i hadn't noticed)

more of my favorites in this section

Tago Mago : I didn't ranked it cause I haven't heard it for ages, but it's a great album

Hotel California (my #145) : not a bad ranking for a soft rock album here in this forum. It was my fav album when I was 13 and I still like this great collection of songs.

Original Pirate Material (158) : I love the Streets; a fantastic story teller that chose rap and garage electro. This music is typically british and very exotic to me (the UK is always very exotic for a Frenchman )

The River (75) : another of my teenage favorites. It's the first Bruce record I've heard. My older sister had bought it, and I remember being very impressed by the second side of the first record. I love those double albums where artists put all their songs; it's like a garage sell.

Songs For The Deaf (194): a very solid rock album from the 2000s. Diverse, powerful, playful.

Speakerboxx/The Love Below (9 : garage sell in Atlanta

Axis : Bold As Love (106) :all 3 Jimi albums are on my list, with Electric Ladyland at the highest position. I have to admit that Axis is the lowest, probably because, despite its great quality (and Little Wing), it doesn't feature such classics as Hey Joe, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze.

Mutations (82) :My favorite Beck album. His own "Sky Blue Sky". You know my love for direct, straightforward songwriting. Beck can make wonderful natural songs, without noise and bizarreness. Picasso was a great classic painter too.

Thanks Jackson !

to nj : yes indeed (i hadn't noticed)

more of my favorites in this section

Tago Mago : I didn't ranked it cause I haven't heard it for ages, but it's a great album

Hotel California (my #145) : not a bad ranking for a soft rock album here in this forum. It was my fav album when I was 13 and I still like this great collection of songs.

Original Pirate Material 158 : I love the Streets; a fantastic story teller that chose rap and garage electro. This music is typically british and very exotic to me (the UK is always very exotic for a Frenchman )

The River (75) : another of my teenage favorites. It's the first Bruce record I've heard. My older sister had bought it, and I remember being very impressed by the second side of the first record. I love those double albums where artists put all their songs; it's like a garage sell.

Songs For The Deaf (194): a very solid rock album from the 2000s. Diverse, powerful, playful.

Speakerboxx/The Love Below 98: garage sell in Atlanta

Axis : Bold As Love (106) :all 3 Jimi albums are on my list, with Electric Ladyland at the highest position. I have to admit that Axis is the lowest, probably because, despite its great quality (and Little Wing), it doesn't feature such classics as Hey Joe, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze.

Mutations (82) :My favorite Beck album. His own "Sky Blue Sky". You know my love for direct, straightforward songwriting. Beck can make wonderful natural songs, without noise and bizarreness. Picasso was a great classic painter too.

PS : I'm not very surprised by the relatively low ranking of those albums, and sometimes pleasantly surprised (especially for Mutations).

nicolas
How about Sea Change?

By the way, I really would've expected Curtis to finish higher. People need to check out that album! Let's hope the incredible Superfly makes it a lot further.

I'm not very familiar with Sea change, must have heard it once or twice, but I gotta check it out again, there's a fantastic song in this album : "Lost Cause".
I bought mutations in 1998 when I was well into indie rock, and it became a companion. When Sea Change came out I bought it as well, but I was in my country/blues years and didn't pay much attention.
It's probably the same with you guys : many albums that are high on my list had a strong effect on my personal life. Some were there at the right place and time.
The order in which you listen to an artist's albums matters sometimes too : I really got into Beck after hearing Mutations; sometimes the first cut is the deepest.

I'm glad to see Starsailor show up at 288, but it would have been even more awesome if it cracked the top 200. (Of course, it was my #4, so without my vote it would have been much lower.)

Blueprint, another rap album that's surprisingly low.

Nick

I had Illmatic in my top 50, as the 2nd highest hip-hop album on my list. Its a wonderbul combination of the gangsta rap of the early 90s with the jazz-influenced stuff that popped up. Its in the dark, gritty style similar to the Wu-Tang, almost completely out of tune to the Sean Combs, Bad Boy stuff. It is THE album of underground hip-hop. ?uestlove did an interview with Pitchfork recently that mentioned it.

?uestlove
The ideology of what I considered "real" hip-hop died at the 1995 Source Awards. I was literally at its funeral-- I sat three rows behind Nas. In the audience, the Bad Boy camp was on the far right, all the West Coast and the Southern rappers were in the middle, and on the far left were all the New York underground rappers like Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and us. That was the day when Suge called out Puffy, and there were fights in the audience. I felt like a bomb was going to detonate.

Nas' body language that day told the whole story of where we were about to go. The more he got ignored for Illmatic, I literally saw his body melt in his seat. Almost like he was ashamed. He just looked so defeated. I was like, "Yo, he's not gonna be the same after this shit." None of us were the same after that day. I feel like the true underground lost its oxygen that night.

Its the pinnacle of a genre and a movement that got swallowed up and spit out by the corporate music structure. Its an all-killer-no-filler album that just throws BOMBS at you. There is no skit bloat that plagues so many. Every track has a killer hook, every beats are insane. I still get chills from the intro to NY State of Mind. You cannot get any better.

Lots of great albums in that section! Choice pick being We're Only In It For The Money. Its weirdness may put some off, but I find it absolutely enthralling.

I will be pleasantly shocked if summerteeth made it.

This part of the list is intersting because you can see some albums that were one or 2 guys' favorites, like Starsailor for BillAdama or Promenade for me. I really like Tim Buckley, but I've only heard the first 2 albums (the 1st one almost made my top 200). Jeff's vocal and physical resemblance with his father is striking. And they hardly ever met !

[250] Buena Vista Social Club | Buena Vista Social Club | 1997

[249] Pearl Jam | Ten | 1991
2009 Poll Rank: 142

[248] Fever Ray | Fever Ray | 2009

[247] The Millennium | Begin | 1968

[246] R.E.M. | Life's Rich Pageant | 1986

[245] George Harrison | All Things Must Pass | 1970

[244] Pink Floyd | The Piper at the Gates of Dawn | 1967
2009 Poll Rank: 168

[243] R.E.M. | Document | 1987

[242] Björk | Vespertine | 2001

[241] A Tribe Called Quest | The Low End Theory | 1991

[240] Bon Iver | For Emma, Forever Ago | 2007

[239] Violent Femmes | Violent Femmes | 1982

[238] Kraftwerk | Computerwelt | 1981

[237] LCD Soundsystem | This Is Happening | 2010

[236] The XX | XX | 2009

[235] David Bowie | Station to Station | 1976
2009 Poll Rank: 139

[234] Charles Mingus | Mingus Ah Um | 1959

[233] Wire | Pink Flag | 1977
2009 Poll Rank: 180

[232] M.I.A. | Kala | 2007

[231] Michael Jackson | Off the Wall | 1979
2009 Poll Rank: 160

[230] Funkadelic | Maggot Brain | 1971

[229] Slint | Spiderland | 1991
2009 Poll Rank: 176

[228] Björk | Post | 1995

[227] Spiritualized | Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space | 1997
2009 Poll Rank: 185

[226] Iggy and The Stooges | Raw Power | 1973

Some absolutely fantastic albums in that last round. I'm mixed between excitement that many of these made top 250 and disappointment that some declined from their showing last time (particularly Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space and Spiderland, two of the 10 best albums of the 90s in my opinion).

I'm sure everyone will have something they like in that section. The Millennium followed up its surprise top 50 placement in the 60s poll with another great showing here. Also A Tribe Called Quest and Charles Mingus give great entries for hip-hop and jazz.

Jackson

[242] Björk | Vespertine | 2001

[228] Björk | Post | 1995

Aww, my favourite Björk album by a considerable margin was the first to show up on the overall list. Vespertine is such a coherent and beautifully personal record; in comparison to her previous records whereby the concept was more about a collection of diverse songs (Debut, Post).

I love The XX's cover art. Just as minimalist and understated as the actual music.

[250] Buena Vista Social Club | Buena Vista Social Club | 1997

My # 65 : I love this album, the songs are fabulous. My list featured 2 solo albums by Eliades Ochoa and Compay Segundo (that I knew before Buena Vista came out). It's good to have non English speaking records every now and then. Some great great music is also recorded and made out of the Anglo saxon world. Sometimes I wish these list reflected a little more the music from other countries.

[241] A Tribe Called Quest | The Low End Theory | 1991

Good news ! I have voted for their 1990 album but I'm glad they're this high.

(my number 130)What a fabulous artist Mingus was. Adventurous but always close to his roots, and very passionate in everything he recorded.

[231] Michael Jackson | Off the Wall | 1979
2009 Poll Rank: 160
(my nb 74)To me it beats Thriller in terms of music. But in terms of memory and importance Thriller is best.

For me, I think Thriller has the best couple songs between the two, but Off The Wall is more even and consistent. Overall I'd put Off The Wall a bit higher.

Fever Ray is a surprise. Makes me think Silent Shout has a shot at cracking the top 100.

I wonder if The Knife will ever release another non-soundtrack album.

That 250-226 section is fantastic.

Glad I haven't spotted THE AGE OF ADZ yet. Crossing fingers for a strong finish. Great list so far. Lots of Suprises!

I might as well respond to the "Axis: Bold as Love" question, given it was in my top 20.
Hendrix was a genius. That album would have been even better Jimi not left the original tapes in the back of a cab. It's a great album, definitely underaprreciated.
Also, Jackson, was there any album in AM's top 100 that did not make top 500 (the lowest I was, surprisingly, was Live at the Apollo, not TMR)?

Listyguy
I might as well respond to the "Axis: Bold as Love" question, given it was in my top 20.
Hendrix was a genius. That album would have been even better Jimi not left the original tapes in the back of a cab. It's a great album, definitely underaprreciated.
Also, Jackson, was there any album in AM's top 100 that did not make top 500 (the lowest I was, surprisingly, was Live at the Apollo, not TMR)?

The highest ranked album outside of our top 500 was Dr. Dre's The Chronic, which (thankfully) only got two votes and didn't even make our top 1000.

And to me, Axis definitely has some of Jimi's standout songs. "Spanish Castle Magic," "Little Wing," and most of all "Bold As Love" are right up with there from the best of the other two albums. I definitely see why it might be ranked third of the three, I feel like it should be a close third.

Jackson

I only discovered jazz music from the 50s and 60s earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised to realize how much I liked it. Mingus Ah Um was the album that made an emotional connection with jazz click into place for me, and at #5 in my all-time list it is my favourite of the genre. 20 other jazz albums (whether instrumental or vocal) made my top 200, including The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. But in my personal musical landscape this 1959 gem from the great Charles Mingus is the definitive jazz album.

[225] Hüsker Dü | Zen Arcade | 1984

[224] Neil Young | Tonight's the Night | 1975
2009 Poll Rank: 163

[223] Tom Waits | Bone Machine | 1992

[222] Scott Walker | Scott 4 | 1969

[221] Dave Brubeck Quartet | Time Out | 1959

[220] The Shins | Chutes Too Narrow | 2003
2009 Poll Rank: 179

[219] Radiohead | Amnesiac | 2001

[218] Coldplay | A Rush of Blood to the Head | 2002
2009 Poll Rank: 199

[217] King Crimson | Red | 1974

[216] Weezer | Pinkerton | 1996

[215] Joanna Newsom | Ys | 2006

[214] Franz Ferdinand | Franz Ferdinand | 2004
2009 Poll Rank: 165

[213] Wu-Tang Clan | Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) | 1993
2009 Poll Rank: 174

[212] Joni Mitchell | The Hissing of Summer Lawns | 1975

[211] DJ Shadow | Endtroducing... | 1996
2009 Poll Rank: 164

[210] Massive Attack | Blue Lines | 1991
2009 Poll Rank: 121

[209] Air | Moon Safari | 1998

[208] The Beatles | A Hard Day's Night | 1964
2009 Poll Rank: 182

[207] Miles Davis | Bitches Brew | 1970

[206] Big Star | Radio City | 1974

[205] Weezer | Weezer (The Blue Album) | 1994

[204] Bruce Springsteen | The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle | 1973

[203] Derek and The Dominos | Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs | 1970
2009 Poll Rank: 159

[202] Big Star | #1 Record | 1972
2009 Poll Rank: 173

[201] Led Zeppelin | Houses of the Holy | 1973Points: | Votes: 11 | AM Rank: 520

So...for those keeping track, 30 of the top 200 albums from last time have fallen out, the highest-ranked being Blue Lines, which was #121 in '09.

It looks like 4 (maybe 5) of the 30 new entries will be 2010 albums. I'm wondering if any 2011 releases will show up in the top 200; I can think of two that might.

Great job so far, Jackson. Can't wait to see the rest.

I wonder if Weezer's classics would be higher if they stopped making music after Pinkerton. Not that I'd want that since a lot of people still love their music, but if they were a two album band I bet one or both of those albums would be top 100.

I haven't chimed in yet- A lot of my top 100 has already been revealed. I can't complain if something hit the top 500 but here are a few I think should be a lot higher:

Paul Simon: There Goes Rhymin' Simon- The second best album Simon made after Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Beck: Mutations- Odelay holds a special place in my heart as well, but like Nicolas said, this is his best.

Paul McCartney: Ram- In many cases McCartney's solo work is justifiably overlooked and I think that's why not many people have given Ram a chance. But, it's a fantastic album, easily my favorite Beatles solo album.

There are a few more I could comment on, but I can understand why those can fall down to the 300-500 range. But, I definitely needed to speak my piece on the three above!

Vanillafire1000
Nick

I had Illmatic in my top 50, as the 2nd highest hip-hop album on my list. Its a wonderbul combination of the gangsta rap of the early 90s with the jazz-influenced stuff that popped up. Its in the dark, gritty style similar to the Wu-Tang, almost completely out of tune to the Sean Combs, Bad Boy stuff. It is THE album of underground hip-hop. ?uestlove did an interview with Pitchfork recently that mentioned it.

?uestlove
The ideology of what I considered "real" hip-hop died at the 1995 Source Awards. I was literally at its funeral-- I sat three rows behind Nas. In the audience, the Bad Boy camp was on the far right, all the West Coast and the Southern rappers were in the middle, and on the far left were all the New York underground rappers like Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and us. That was the day when Suge called out Puffy, and there were fights in the audience. I felt like a bomb was going to detonate.

Nas' body language that day told the whole story of where we were about to go. The more he got ignored for Illmatic, I literally saw his body melt in his seat. Almost like he was ashamed. He just looked so defeated. I was like, "Yo, he's not gonna be the same after this shit." None of us were the same after that day. I feel like the true underground lost its oxygen that night.

Its the pinnacle of a genre and a movement that got swallowed up and spit out by the corporate music structure. Its an all-killer-no-filler album that just throws BOMBS at you. There is no skit bloat that plagues so many. Every track has a killer hook, every beats are insane. I still get chills from the intro to NY State of Mind. You cannot get any better.

Illmatic is an album that engenders respect, but no love from me. And I think it's that gritty style that I find so relentless, for both good and bad, about this album. I know there's play in the words and the rhymes, but hell if you'd know it from his delivery, which is relentlessly rat-a-tat. Any sense of play is missing from the MUSIC. (I am woefully unknowledgable about Wu Tang Clan, but my sense of them from what I have heard is they have slightly more play to their delivery... probably helped by the fact that you have many different rappers' styles butting against one another in every track.)

Compare this to my favorite rap album that is outside of the top 200 (and, aside from Spoon's Gimme Fiction, my highest ranked album that is likely to be outside the top-200): The Low End Theory. (Which, by the way, was released the same day as Nevermind, and is far more deserving of having its 20th anniversary celebrated.) I've said before how fun is an entirely underrated virtue in music. Some critics get it.... more pay it lip service, and then gravitate to [use portentious voice] "very serious albums" when it comes time to laud masterpieces or draw up their lists. Well, Low End Theory is fun... lyrically and musically. The interplay between Phife and Tip, the beautiful jazzy groove of the beats, Busta Rhymes roaring like a "dungeon dragon" on that fantastic posse track closer. It's musical as hell and entertaining as hell.

I'm surprised Tonight's The Night didn't do better. I think Neil Young's depressive phase is his best.

BillAdama
I'm surprised Tonight's The Night didn't do better. I think Neil Young's depressive phase is his best.

I voted for Tonight's the Night as my 12th favourite album. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it's outside the top 200.

What I find just as perplexing is how low Joni Mitchell's albums are (despite the improvement from their AM scores). Joni Mitchell is a genius and strictly speaking one of the few true originators of our time. Formally self-described as a composer (or painter), I'd feel more comfortable placing Joni side-by-side to famous classical composers than works by Joanna Newsom! If "Blue" (my number #1 album) doesn't even make the Top 100, I'll be geniunely quite disappointed.

On The Beach was my top Neil Young album, but Tonight's the Night is a beast as well. Those two are head and shoulders above Harvest and quite a bit better than After the Gold Rush.

I'd bet you'd dislike Harvest. It's a great album, though. Superb songs and arrangements. But way uncool for 21st centrury hipsters. Not dark enough ? Dad's music ? Lol

There were 6 NY albums in my top 200

1. After The Goldrush
2. Harvest
3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
4. Zuma
5. Tonight's The Night
6. Rust Never Sleeps

On the Beach has a cool cover, but it's a minor album IMO. On The Beach is a lesser known album so it's cool to say you like it ?
I'm kidding guys.

PS : I could have put Tonight's The Night above Zuma (they were #111 and #115).

On The Beach is my favorite Neil Young, followed by Tonight's The Night. After The Gold Rush is pretty close to those two, though.

It's not that I dislike Harvest, so much as whereas all of Young's other critically acclaimed albums really stand out, Harvest is just kind of good craftsmanship with riskless songwriting. Hey, kind of like... (Not going there)

But no, I like Harvest. I'd put it in my top 1000. It's somewhere below Freedom and Ragged Glory, and just higher than his album from last year.

The only reason On The Beach isn't as acclaimed as other Neil Young albums is that it took the longest to be released on CD, which it did because Neil Young vetoed the CD release until he was happy with the mix.

Hrm, speaking of which, On The Beach is either outside the top 500 or in the top 200. It can't have gotten less than five votes, could it? I think I put it in my top 20.

My Top 5 Young albums:
1. After the Gold Rush
2. Rust Never Sleeps
3. Tonight's the Night
4. Harvest
5. Comes a Time (an underated gem in my opinion that also can be filed under the "kind of good craftsmanship with riskless songwriting" section)

Only the first three are in my Top 200 but I've included instead 2 other albums with strong Young involvement: "Déjà vu" (even more uncool than "Harvest") and "Buffalo Springfield Again"

I voted for "On the Beach" as #34, so it would be nice to see it made the list. The problem I had with "Harvest" in particular was the fact it didn't leave any lasting appeal (although it was the first Neil Young album to be introduced to me). It's an "okay" album with some nice songs but I just don't "feel" it like "After the Goldrush" or "Tonight's the Night". The latter left such a huge impact on me and it's very hard to ignore the exposed grief on that album.

I find (sadly) surprising the fall on the appreciation of Massive Attack's "Blue Lines". From 121 to 210? Why, oh why?

Honorio
I find (sadly) surprising the fall on the appreciation of Massive Attack's "Blue Lines". From 121 to 210? Why, oh why?

I don't think its production sounds as modern as Mezzanine's. Even though "Unfinished Sympathy" is in my top 50 songs, I've never cared much for Blue Lines. The rest of the album doesn't really stand up to that masterpiece. Mezzanine is more consistent.

I think On the Beach is definitely the best Neil Young album I've heard, though Rust Never Sleeps might have something to say about that. I love the sprawl of the title track and "Ambulance Blues," the latter of which is Young's "Desolation Row."

And Stephen, I definitely don't think you should be disappointed at how Joni Mitchell performed in this poll, trust me.

nicolas
I'd bet you'd dislike Harvest. It's a great album, though. Superb songs and arrangements. But way uncool for 21st centrury hipsters. Not dark enough ? Dad's music ? Lol

1. After The Goldrush
2. Harvest
4. Zuma
5. Tonight's The Night
6. Rust Never Sleeps

On the Beach has a cool cover, but it's a minor album IMO. On The Beach is a lesser known album so it's cool to say you like it ?
I'm kidding guys.

Many now consider On the Beach Neil's masterwork, and not because it's "lesser known" and cool. Because it has great music that is stripped down and emotional.

It's one of his most cohesive works, every song is good, "Ambulance Blues" is possibly his best song ever.

Personally for me with Neil:

1. On The Beach
2. Tonight's the Night
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
5. After the Gold Rush
6. Zuma
7. Ragged Glory
8. Harvest

I think Harvest is pretty inconsistent. One song that I often see cited as a top Harvest song "A Man Needs a Maid", I consider one of Neil's worst outings; I find the lyric bone-headed, and the over the top arrangement underscores that fact.

Jackson
Honorio

I don't think its production sounds as modern as Mezzanine's. Even though "Unfinished Sympathy" is in my top 50 songs, I've never cared much for Blue Lines. The rest of the album doesn't really stand up to that masterpiece. Mezzanine is more consistent.

I know Blue Lines is a historically important album, but I think it's kind of inconsistent. "Unfinished Sympathy" is haunting, and "Hymn for the Big Wheel" and "Safe From Harm", but there's a lot of filler. Most of the lyrics also come across as kind of shallow and silly, but maybe I'm not supposed to care about Massive Attack's lyrics.

Honorio

5. Comes a Time (an underated gem in my opinion that also can be filed under the "kind of good craftsmanship with riskless songwriting" section)

Tu quoque mi fili...
Craftmanship, riskless songwriting ? I don't get taht (though i see what you mean) But country music and blues are craftmanship, noble popular craftmanship, when people didn' care if they were taking risks or not. What a strange notion in popular music...
Harvest is a fantastic country album.
I've just heard some songs from On The Beach. Fucking great songs there too. "Turnstiles", "See The Sky...". I'll have to hear it again.
I love depressed Neil Young too, but I was first introduced to Goldrush and Harvest in the late eighties and it was such a shock, a positive shock to hear this in 1988 during the worst era of music
What I love in NY (and Wilco too) is that they can make simple, "riskless" (lol) albums AND darker, less accessible stuff, but they don't make any differnece or hierarchy between them.

nicolas
Honorio

Tu quoque mi fili...
Craftmanship, riskless songwriting ? I don't get taht (though i see what you mean) But country music and blues are craftmanship, noble popular craftmanship, when people didn' care if they were taking risks or not. What a strange notion in popular music...
Harvest is a fantastic country album.
I've just heard some songs from On The Beach. Fucking great songs there too. "Turnstiles", "See The Sky...". I'll have to hear it again.
I love depressed Neil Young too, but I was first introduced to Goldrush and Harvest in the late eighties and it was such a shock, a positive shock to hear this in 1988 during the worst era of music
What I love in NY (and Wilco too) is that they can make simple, "riskless" (lol) albums AND darker, less accessible stuff, but they don't make any differnece or hierarchy between them.

To me it's not all about "risk". Harvest is spotty. I love certain songs on the album, but I don't think it is very coherent.

In the case of Sky Blue Sky, I just think it's one of Tweedy's poorest songwriting showings, with one or two great songs, a couple of half good ones, and a bunch of stinkers.

For the record, I love The Band, I love Gram Parsons, I love The Grateful Dead's early 70s albums, I love After the Gold Rush, I love Nick Drake, I love the Fairport Convention. The fact that I don't like certain "pure" albums, doesn't mean I hate it all.

I'm a bit harsh on you guys because I remember this argument "Harvest vs. the rest of Neil Young" was still raging 25 years ago in musical mags. And I was already very upset because i really love that record : "Out On The Weekend", "Old Man", "Harvest", "Alabama", "THe Needle", Man Needs A Maid" . All classics. Fantastic songs

Time to start the top 200!

"I wish that I believed in fate"

[200] The National | Alligator | 2005

Biggest Fan:: Penguin (11)

"I'm running towards nothing again"

[199] The Cure | Seventeen Seconds | 1980

Points: 831 | Votes: 7 | AM Rank: 588 | 2009 Poll Rank: 191
Biggest Fan:: Henrik, Marc, Michel (7)

"If only I could
I'd make a deal with God"

[198] Kate Bush | Hounds of Love | 1985

Biggest Fan:: Tim E (7)

"They seek the truth before they can die"

[197] Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young | Deja Vu | 1970

Biggest Fan:: Honorio (28)

"I was dreaming when I wrote this
So sue me if I go too fast"

[196] Prince and The Revolution | 1999 | 1982

Points: 849 | Votes: 9 | AM Rank: 201 | 2009 Poll Rank: 143
Biggest Fan:: Moonbeam: 1

"Who said I lied to her?"

[195] The Smiths | Strangeways, Here We Come | 1987

Biggest Fan:: Dr. Robert (30)

"The rivers of our vision flow into one another"

[194] The Byrds | The Notorious Byrd Brothers | 1968

Biggest Fan:: Miguel (15)

"I saw her on the cover of a magazine"

[193] Kraftwerk | Die Mensch Maschine | 1978

Biggest Fan:: Kingoftonga (23)

"Maybe then I'll fade away
And not have to face the facts"

[192] The Rolling Stones | Aftermath | 1966

Biggest Fan:: Halley P (9)

"She's moving up slowly
Inertia creeps"

[191] Massive Attack | Mezzanine | 1998

Biggest Fan:: Gillingham (5)

Superb presentation "update"!

"Mezzanine" above "Blue Lines"? Food for discussion stuff!

I wish "1999" was a little higher but OK.

Jonathon
nicolas

1. After The Goldrush
2. Harvest
4. Zuma
5. Tonight's The Night
6. Rust Never Sleeps

I'm kidding guys.

Many now consider On the Beach Neil's masterwork, and not because it's "lesser known" and cool. Because it has great music that is stripped down and emotional.

It's one of his most cohesive works, every song is good, "Ambulance Blues" is possibly his best song ever.

Personally for me with Neil:

1. On The Beach
2. Tonight's the Night
3. Rust Never Sleeps
4. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
5. After the Gold Rush
6. Zuma
7. Ragged Glory
8. Harvest

I think Harvest is pretty inconsistent. One song that I often see cited as a top Harvest song "A Man Needs a Maid", I consider one of Neil's worst outings; I find the lyric bone-headed, and the over the top arrangement underscores that fact.

This scintillating Neil Young discussion is whetting my appetite for next Saturday's Bridge School Benefit concert at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, California.

Is anyone else going the concert?

Particle Analyst

Simply a case of gaining confidence and becoming more consistent. The kind of thing that comes with age.

Many of my favorite in the last 2 sections : Tonight's The Night, Bone Machine (what a fascinating record!), Ys (my #201), The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle, Layla...
Surprised to see Houses of The Holy so high. Not pleasantly so I mean.

In the top 200 : Very happy to see "17 Seconds", my favorite Cure record (very exotic), Déjà Vu and The Notorious Byrd Bros, 2 folk rock gems.

nicolas

In the top 200 : Very happy to see "17 Seconds", my favorite Cure record (very exotic), Déjà Vu and The Notorious Byrd Bros, 2 folk rock gems.

I'd like to hear why people voted for Deja Vu. I'm definitely not as folk-leaning as the board consensus, but I listened to a couple of songs and just couldn't stand this album. Seems like a you-had-to-be-there kind of thing to me. Never understood all the CSNY hype.

Jackson
nicolas

I'd like to hear why people voted for Deja Vu. I'm definitely not as folk-leaning as the board consensus, but I listened to a couple of songs and just couldn't stand this album. Seems like a you-had-to-be-there kind of thing to me. Never understood all the CSNY hype.

Not a surprise to hear you come out against Deja Vu. As I recall, you're not a big fan of Bridge Over Troubled Water either. If you weren't paying attention to the performances at Woodstock (where CS&N provided almost flawless harmonies) then indeed you may not have had the appropriate opportunity to appreciate CS&N in all their glory. If you haven't heard CS&N on the Woodstock album, I highly recommend that you do so. Is there any other incarnation of C, S or N that you care for? If not, then you may not want to bother listening to music that just isn't in your wheelhouse.

Deja Vu provides unvarnished classics in terms vocal delivery, composition, heart-felt sincerity and fun. Deja Vu was bit more pop than CS&N's debut album and had the benefit of Mr. Young's contributions.

The high-pitched vocals of Graham Nash may be an acquired taste; but he does seem to hit the notes better than most pop singers. Stills seemed to be more dominant on the debut album, while the artists contributions to Deja Vu appear to be a bit more balanced. So, if one were a Stills fan (I don't see this as describing Jackson ), I could see why one might find Deja Vu a bit disappointing in comparison to the debut album.

Some of the highlights of Deja Vu include:

Teach Your Children, Woodstock, and Our House. The first and third are clearly not rockers.

Other songs on the album that I thoroughly enjoy include: Carry On, Almost Cut My Hair, Helpless.

@Nicolas

Rock, I would argue, is a genre founded on energy and risk. Country and blues are founded on vibe. Blues especially is a club genre, not a singles or album genre. Rock is a singles or a album genre depending on the artist, and it flourishes on energy and risk, of which Harvest is lacking compared to his other work.

I'm surprised 1999 wasn't higher. I sort of see it as an 'Album with great singles' more than a great album, but I know it has at least one 1st place vote.

IMO it's one of the best records of the late sixties-early seventies. An album of its time. Sums up 1970 with all its good sides and excesses, the late hippie era.
And the music is incredible : without the first song and its harmonies, no Fleet Foxes. If you are not into folk, I understand you don't like this record. Again a great collection of songs (Teach Your Children, Almost Cut my hair are the first to come to my mind).

nicolas
Many of my favorite in the last 2 sections : Tonight's The Night, Bone Machine (what a fascinating record!), Ys (my #201), The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle, Layla...
Surprised to see Houses of The Holy so high. Not pleasantly so I mean.

Curious as to the animosity towards Houses of the Holy.

Someone else but not me for Houses Of The holy please ! . I pass . don't want to ba the Mr Killjoy of this forum

Houses of the Holy is a much better album the Physical Graffiti in my opinion (not sure if PG hasw already appeared or if it will).
Waiting to see if Moonbeam explodes at 1999's rank.

Henry
If not, then you may not want to bother listening to music that just isn't in your wheelhouse.

This is a so true.

Let's move on.

"There's many lost, but tell me who has won?"

[190] U2 | War | 1983

Biggest Fan:: Daniel (13)

"Nothing's gonna change my world"

[189] The Beatles | Let It Be | 1970

Biggest Fan:: Stone (21)

"Hello, is there anybody in there?"

[188] Pink Floyd | The Wall | 1979

Points: 875 | Votes: 11 | AM Rank: 138 | 2009 Poll Rank: 131
Biggest Fan:: Daniel (12)

"Once I had a love and it was divine"

[187] Blondie | Parallel Lines | 1978

Points: 875 | Votes: 12 | AM Rank: 121 | 2009 Poll Rank: 188
Biggest Fan:: Harold Wexler (28)

"Words are meaningless"

[186] Depeche Mode | Violator | 1990

Biggest Fan:: Slick (15)

"The child is the father of the man"

[185] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up | 1971

Points: 894 | Votes: 9 | AM Rank: 558 | 2009 Poll Rank: 192
Biggest Fan:: Miguel (1)

"How much fun it's been"

[184] The United States of America | The United States of America | 1968

Biggest Fan:: nj (3)

"I'm getting out of darkness
My light shines on"

[183] Primal Scream | Screamadelica | 1991

Biggest Fan:: ParticleAnalyst (20)

"I still owe money to the money I owe"

[182] The National | High Violet | 2010

Biggest Fan:: Antonius (10)

"I was in another world"

[181] The Avalanches | Since I Left You | 2000

Biggest Fan:: Midaso 18

The United States of America placing top 200 is probably the biggest surprise of the poll. That record's grown on me a ton over the last month.

Jackson
The United States of America placing top 200 is probably the biggest surprise of the poll. That record's grown on me a ton over the last month.

Same here - the more I listen to it, the more I love it. It's great to see it getting recognized.

A small correction - the line from "Bloodbuzz Ohio" is actually "I still owe money to the money to the money I owe." It's that extra layer that's the killer.

How the hell did Let It Be beat it's AM Ranking by over 400 places? To my ears,it's the worst thing they recorded. I remember reading a album review book one time that gave it one star out of five

Yellow Submarine and Please Please Me are worse than Let it Be, but either way, 99 percent of bands would kill to have these 3 albums as their worst. I've never understood the disdain for Let it Be especially since Abbey Road is so highly regarded. It's not as good as Abbey Road but it's a similar album with great tracks. If you don't like the production, listen to Let it Be Naked. Any Beatles fan should like one or the other- I prefer the Spector version.

John
Yellow Submarine and Please Please Me are worse than Let it Be, but either way, 99 percent of bands would kill to have these 3 albums as their worst. I've never understood the disdain for Let it Be especially since Abbey Road is so highly regarded. It's not as good as Abbey Road but it's a similar album with great tracks. If you don't like the production, listen to Let it Be Naked. Any Beatles fan should like one or the other- I prefer the Spector version.

In my view, Let It Be is very inconsistent. At it's best (Let It Be, Long and Winding Road, Get Back) it provides songs that exhilirate just like almost any Beatle's album (for most of us not named Moonbeam that is). There are some other very solid tracks including: Don't Let Me Down, I've Got a Feeling, and Two of Us. But, some of the other tracks don't move me or provide me with all that much enjoyment. I don't remember the naked versions of these songs being any better than Spector versions.

I totally second John's post on Let it be and am happy it found its plave in the top 200

And I really prefer Physical Graffiti's spontaneity to House of the Holy's inflated prog pretention (not to mention the pedophile cover art Promised, it's the last time I bash an album but no one did it in my place...

The proximity of the 60s poll left its trace here with forgotten albums like USAOA or Begin.

@BillAdama : blues, a club genre ? Well if you think of SR Vaughan or Duke Robillard, maybe so but blues to me is more Robert J, Skip J or Muddy W, so it's a lil bit more than that, just the father of rock. And a very risky business too, ask Robert J

"Surf's Up" album cover really caught my eye. I'll admit, I've never listened to any of The Beach Boys discography beyond "Pet Sounds". I might give it a spin

I'm so glad "Since I Left You" made the top 200! What a terribly underrated album. The whole thing sounds like a sun kissed kaleidoscopic wonderland, not to mention its incredibly danceable tracks. Definitely a top 40 album of all time for me.

And "Summerteeth" hasn't even appeared yet! I'm crossing my fingers for a top 100 placement, but that's pretty much wishful thinking.

Not only was "Let it Be" the Beatles worst album in at least 6 years ("Yellow Submarine" isn't an album), it wasn't produce by George Martin, it was done by the Phil Spector!

Listyguy
Not only was "Let it Be" the Beatles worst album in at least 6 years ("Yellow Submarine" isn't an album), it wasn't produce by George Martin, it was done by the Phil Spector!

= best producer of all time? Yes, he's clearly not a nice man, but do try to separate man from music.

nicolas

blues, a club genre ?
it's a lil bit more than that, just the father of rock. And a very risky business too.

ask Robert J :)

or Elisabeth S

"I am in paradise"

[180] The Kinks | Something Else by the Kinks | 1967

Points: 909 | Votes: 14 | AM Rank: 300 | 2009 Poll Rank: 156
Biggest Fan:: Marc (61)

"I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down"

[179] The Verve | Urban Hymns | 1997
Biggest Fan:: Stephan (45)

"They will take me away"

[178] Portishead | Third | 2008

Biggest Fan:: Pauldrach (13)

"I didn't mean to hurt you
I'm just a jealous guy"

[177] John Lennon | Imagine | 1971

Biggest Fan:: Daniel (5)

"Do you know what you're fighting for?"

[176] Janelle Monae | The ArchAndroid | 2010

Biggest Fan:: Toni (40)

"It takes courage to enjoy it"

[175] Björk | Debut | 1993

Points: 934 | Votes: 10 | AM Rank: 139 | 2009 Poll Rank: 151
Biggest Fan:: Honorio (16)

"I am a traveler of both time and space"

[174] Led Zeppelin | Physical Graffiti | 1975

Points: 935 | Votes: 13 | AM Rank: 98 | 2009 Poll Rank: 132
Biggest Fan:: Brad (28)

"It's just a dream he keeps having
And it doesn't seem to mean anything"

[173] Wilco | Summerteeth | 1999

Biggest Fan:: Jonathan (10)

"Tu t'appelles comment?"

[172] Serge Gainsbourg | Histoire de Melody Nelson | 1971

Biggest Fan:: Sonofsamiam, Nicolas (45)

"Music's got me feeling so free"

[171] Daft Punk | Discovery | 2001

Points: 940 | Votes: 10 | AM Rank: 312 | 2009 Poll Rank: 153
Biggest Fan:: Schwah (9)

Debut has been my favorite discovery of the poll. For some reason, I had thought I disliked Bjork before, but clearly that was a mistake.

Great presentation, Jackson!

I'm happy 1999 at least made the top 200, but it is a little startling that it relies so much on my #1 vote to get there. Of course, I think it should have ended up 195 places higher, but the fact that it got 8 other votes is pretty sweet.

Oh, and it's SUCH an album album. Sure, it has megasingles, but those megasingles merely are the avenues into the icy neon purple future-funk that awaits.

I am also happy to see Parallel Lines here. If only Blondie and Eat to the Beat could garner more love...

Time to don my Negative Nancy shoes.

The Suburbs over The ArchAndroid? THAT is a catastrophe. If it beats The Age of Adz....

The high placement of the Beatles and Lennon pap is disheartening, too.

Nick
I'm so glad "Since I Left You" made the top 200! What a terribly underrated album. The whole thing sounds like a sun kissed kaleidoscopic wonderland, not to mention its incredibly danceable tracks.

Same for me ! Though given its rank here, in some prestigious lists and in AM, I would say that "terribly underrated" is exagerated.

I'm glad to see Kraftwerk doing a bit better than usual, I'm really digging their music right now (had I made my list a bit later, It would have included Computer World and maybe the Man Machine or Radioactivity)

And High Violet higher than Alligator does not seem right to me (not that I really care, but I found High Violet very disappointing after 2 very good albums).

Stephen
"Surf's Up" album cover really caught my eye. I'll admit, I've never listened to any of The Beach Boys discography beyond "Pet Sounds". I might give it a spin

I'm in the same boat.

So much to respond to:

1) Love the presentation, Jackson.

2) I always find it curious when Debut is placed above other Bjork albums. I happen to think Vespertine is Bjork's worst album (have yet to hear Biophilia), but it was a risky album and I know many of you consider it her masterpiece. Debut is catchy and clubby, but doesn't dig as deep emotionally as her other albums. Homogenic is likely to come up later as her top album, though, if the 2009 poll is any guide.

3) Houses of the Holy is a recent rediscovery, and a new entry on my list. I probably placed it too high at 67, but I have been replaying it a ton, because it's so much fun. It's hard to find music that my whole family can get into when it's playing around the house, and Houses of the Holy would up fitting the bill surprisingly well. It's super-tuneful hard rock.

4) Deja Vu is another climber for me (sitting at 61). I've been trying for a while to figure out how to state why the harmonies of the Beach Boys fail to move me, but those of the Band, CSNY, and even the Grateful Dead do. There is possibly a greater messiness, less blend in vocals of the latter bands. (Although maybe the problem with Beach Boys is how nasally their blend can be.) But there is also a greater directness. On most of the songs on Deja Vu, the harmonic vocals are not mere sonic wallpaper. They are strong, forceful, and out-front. The vocals thrill rather than soothe. (Well, maybe not so on "Our House.")

5) Nassim, it's funny because for me I wasn't buying into the National until High Violet, then it clicked for me. I've come around on Alligator since then, but High Violet is the one that wormed it's way into my heart.

6) I didn't place it on my list, but Let It Be is not a bad Beatles album. Leaving off the title track and the tracks that Spector most messed with, it's a quirky and kind of peculiar album and I enjoy that. As for Imagine, I refuse to apologize for liking that album. The title track is problematic, but John's songwriting on the album otherwise stands up with his best Beatles work.

Hey guys you were really busy while I was sleeping. Time to do some catch up...

Love the presentation, Jackson, especially the lyric quotes (fantastic the one from Debut: "It takes courage to enjoy it", it was from "Big Time Sensuality", isn't it?)

nicolas
Tu quoque mi fili...

Of course I was joking, nicolas. I agree with you that the line between craft and genius is thin and somtimes blurred. And it's really difficult to write an original song in styles so consolidated as country and blues, contributing with something new without losing the essence of the style. Just like Clint Eastwood movies like “Unforgiven”, innovating inside the genre films. And don't forget that indie and electronica are built around musical patterns and conventions just like roots music.
And one more thing, I absolutely reject the notion that depressive-sounding music is more risky that happy-sounding music, innovation and risk got nothing to do with happiness, that after all it's something some of us spend our life looking for it. Like Vinícius de Moraes said (and sang): Sadness has no end / Happiness does.

Dan M
Particle Analyst

Simply a case of gaining confidence and becoming more consistent. The kind of thing that comes with age.

I agree with you, Dan M, "Mezzanine" is more consistent and coherent. But maybe some of us prefer the variety when it comes to listen to an album, I love those albums when the artists strength themselves and discover the endless posibilities out there, that’s why albums like “White Album”, “London Calling” or “Blonde on Blonde” are in my Top 5. Maybe it’s not the case with “Blue Lines” but you can find there dub, house, hip-hop, deep reggae, soul, all the roots that created a whole new style that (yes, maybe) crystallized in "Mezzanine".

Jackson

Henry, nicolas and Schwah explained so perfectly that, even as the fan #1 of this album, the only thing I can do is quote them: ”Déjà Vu provides unvarnished classics in terms vocal delivery, composition, heart-felt sincerity and fun” (Henry), “Sums up 1970 with all its good sides and excesses“ (nicolas), “On most of the songs on Deja Vu, the harmonic vocals are not mere sonic wallpaper. They are strong, forceful, and out-front. The vocals thrill rather than soothe” (Schwah). I'll just add, at the risk of sounding "too bland, too soft" that I particularly like "Our House", many love songs talk about love that begins or love that ends, not that many about that situation in the middle that some of us hope to last forever. But that was not the case with Graham Nash and Joni Mitchell.

Schwah
I always find it curious when Debut is placed above other Bjork albums. I happen to think Vespertine is Bjork's worst album (have yet to hear Biophilia), but it was a risky album and I know many of you consider it her masterpiece. Debut is catchy and clubby, but doesn't dig as deep emotionally as her other albums. Homogenic is likely to come up later as her top album, though, if the 2009 poll is any guide.

Well, the three albums are in my Top 200. But I placed “Debut” higher for personal reasons, it was (quoting myself) "the very first electronica album that I really loved, cause it supposed a brand new use of the voice in a predominantly instrumental style or dominated by soul divas. And the voice of Björk is possibly the most unique in pop history, balancing perfectly the confidence and the vulnerability, the virtuosity and the spontaneity, the craft and the extravagance".

I’ve talked too much (again).

Dan M
Particle Analyst

I don't know, both albums seem equally consistent to me (if there's such a thing like counting that factor in numbers). I think it's because the sound of "Mezzanine" is obviously darker and riskier, more experimental though experienced, the kind of sound that gets more love and appreciation for being "mature".

If you ask me it's a strong album but I still prefer "Blue Lines" (all that discussion makes me seem a huge Massive Attack fan though I'm not ).

That 190-181 section was the best in my opinion so far.

I can understand why "Screamadelica", though very popular, is not THE monster, but to me is one of the most unique albums ever. Full of fun with catchy, exciting tunes combining house with the most unlikely music genres (funk in "Loaded", soul in "Movin' On Up", a bit of blues in "Damaged"), it's a truly epic record, groundbreaking and had many imitators since it started the fashion of an "alternative" dance sound.

"Let It Be" is also SUPERB. Melancholic yet no whiny, with a couple of songs which could easily fit in among the finest The Beatles have ever done ("Let It Be" of course, "Across The Universe"), also with a confident sound which resembles "Abbey Road".

I think that the hate towards "Imagine" is mainly because of the legendary title track-not that being the only reason of course.

"Urban Hymns" also made it surprisingly well!

Summerteeth made the top 200!!!! . Even though I can't change lukewarm critical opinion of the album, it's kind of cool that 2 years of championing it have paid off on this board.

Kind of sad that it'll be ranked below All 3 Arcade Fire albums (Neon Bible, really?) but I guess I'll accept this ranking happily.

Even though I've heard almost all of these albums, I'm going to make it a personal goal of mine to familiarize myself completely with the ones that I've only heard a few times.

I'm quite far back, but I think the best 5 album streak of this poll so far has come way back -

[219] Radiohead | Amnesiac | 2001

[218] Coldplay | A Rush of Blood to the Head | 2002
2009 Poll Rank: 199

[217] King Crimson | Red | 1974

[216] Weezer | Pinkerton | 1996

[215] Joanna Newsom | Ys | 2006

4 magnificent albums and a Coldplay one I haven't heard.

[464] Animal Collective | Feels | 2005

[391] Animal Collective | Sung Tongs | 2004

[351] Animal Collective | Strawberry Jam | 2007

Surprised with how these turned out. I would have thought Sung Tongs would win it amongst us (aside from Merriweather of course )

I also agree that the USA album is amazing, and will surely rise with future polls. I initially had it floating around my top 10, then I dropped it, but it pulled me back in...

Has Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) gone yet? I think that album deserves some serious credit.

Great stretch !

I've always been a little disappointed by The Kinks' albums. Even Village Green fell short of my top 200. I consider them a fantastic singles band, but none of their albums is top of the top for me.

Imagine didn't make my list, but wasn't far behind, with excellent songs (especially "Crippled Inside", "Jealous Guy", "How Do You sleep ?"). But Plastic Ono Band is more emotional I guess.

I'm very proud of Archandroid being in the top 200. One of the best albums of the decade IMO, so diverse, original and what a talented artist !

Physical Graffiti : another garage sell album, fun and direct.

I'll have to re-listen to Summerteeth, because I'm not very familiar with that record.

Proud of Melody Nelson too. Probably the best French speaking album of the poll (ahead of Brel). Gives me an idea : I'd love to list the non-English speaking albums of the top 3000. Typical album where the whole is better than the sum of its parts. I'd strongly recommend "L'Homme à Tête de Chou" from 1976, in the same vein.

And a good French series with Discovery; probably the best French album of this poll, it made the bottom of my list. This is one of the most entertaining albums of the electro genre.

Awesome that Third, High Violet, and Archandroid all made the 200. Great to see United States Of America do so well.

@Nicolas

Oh, but I do like folk. Old Man is a great song, but it's one that doesn't hold up as well when you've heard it more times. And folk tends to have stringy stuff that Neil Young doesn't really go for. I don't care for Man Needs A Maid, and Alabama doesn't hold up as well when you stop being impressed that the lyrics attack the fake, intolerant Christianity of southern conservatism. Then there's that "Dream up, dream up let me fill your cup" song which is just plain boring.

Harvest is the Neil Young album where he most waters down his personality.

Maybe 'Club genre' is the wrong tag for blues, but what I mean is it's not a genre that thrives when you break it up into three minute segments and burn it onto a CD. It's better heard live than recorded.

@ BillA (to end this too long discussion): why this need of categorizing and tagging genres, blues IS this, rock IS that ? I find it much more interesting when you get more specific lke you did on Harvest (even though I don't agree with your comments on the songs).
About blues, as 90 % of the great bluzmen are dead (and some of them for more than half a century), it's difficult to hear it live. But anyway, as they were no overdubs before 1960, all of these songs are live recordings, most of the time unrehearsed, unique performances. Burnt a lot of blues CDs with gems from 1920-1960 mainly, and they are great, if you want one just ask. BTW, I'm listening to the new Ry Cooder at the moment and it's the first album i hear after making my list that could have made it if I'd had to send it now. What a great album (with a perfect imitation of JLHooker that makes me think Ry is among the 10 % of survivors)
But let's go back to our list, sorry Mr Jackson for this digression

Honorio

But maybe some of us prefer the variety when it comes to listen to an album, I love those albums when the artists strength themselves and discover the endless posibilities out there, that’s why albums like “White Album”, “London Calling” or “Blonde on Blonde” are in my Top 5.

The White Album and Blonde on Blonde are my favourite Beatles and Bob Dylan albums too (#1 and #4 on my list respectively) and I love them for the same reason as you: because they are albums by ridiculously talented musicians who challenge themselves and successfully incorporate a great variety of genres into their music. One of the things I look forward to most about these poll results is to see which Beatles and Dylan album will end up on top.

Jackson

[198] Kate Bush | Hounds of Love | 1985

Nice to see Hounds of Love finally cracking our top 200. It's British eccentricity in the best possible way. I look at the Lady Gagas of present-day music and wish there was a female artist as genuinely unconventional as Kate Bush was in the 80s with utterly original music to go with it. I guess the same could be said of Björk from the 90s onwards, or PJ Harvey to a certain extent, but they've always been popular in the forum.

I think Hounds of Love was in my top 20 it's an influential and artistic achievement. I'm not sure if it's true nowadays, but I think Kate Bush never really got enough recognition in the US. Perhaps it's my "englishness" coming through, but I firmly believe Hounds of Love and Aerial (Disk 2: A Sky of Honey) are masterpieces - I'm not a fan of Aerial (Disk 1: A Sea of Honey).

I think one of the albums which would have easily made my list (had I listened to it beforehand) was Steely Dan's - Aja. I just love this album so sooo much. Thanks Henrik by the way!

I'm pretty sure Blonde on Blonde will beat the White Album, as the Beatles suffer from vote splitting. Everyone loves different Beatles albums, whereas Bob's best album really falls under either Blonde or Highway 61. Only Beatles album that can really beat Blonde on Blonde imo is Revolver.

Zorg
I'm pretty sure Blonde on Blonde will beat the White Album, as the Beatles suffer from vote splitting. Everyone loves different Beatles albums, whereas Bob's best album really falls under either Blonde or Highway 61. Only Beatles album that can really beat Blonde on Blonde imo is Revolver.

The White Album beat Blonde and Blonde and Revolver in the decade poll in June, so I wouldn't underestimate it.

1 2 3