Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looks Good...

Jonathon
Also Henrik, didn't you say "Poor Places" by Wilco would be an addition?
Yes, don't worry, it will be included.

Re: To JR and everyone: Songs spreadsheet

Thanks a lot Henrik, such a great teaser for the upcoming update!

Happy to see some favorites finally included (Driver 8, Kung Fu Fighting), not so happy for other additions (3 songs each from Pulp and Pavement), in both cases thanks to the critics, anyway I'm very interested to see the new list.

Hello! I have (by pure chance) noticed an error: "Histoire d'un garçon" is attributed to "Benjamin Boilay" while it's actually "Benjamin Biolay".

Though "Y Control" would be in the waiting list. It isn't even in the document. dammit!

I decided to look into other omissions from the google document. This is what I found.

"Time to Pretend" by MGMT is missing (number 44 on the EOD list)

Also, I figured that since R.E.M.'s "Nightswimming", Wilco's "Via Chicago", and Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" all appeared on Pitchfork's great songs of the 1990's list (at numbers 72, 74, and 23 respectively) they'd be included in the next update.

Pitchfork link- http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7853-the-top-200-tracks-of-the-1990s-20-01/

"A Shot in the Arm" also wound up the #13 single of the 90s on I believe it was a Treble list. I forget though.

Wilco might challenge Zappa soon for the title of "King of the bubbling songs"

Jonathon
"A Shot in the Arm" also wound up the #13 single of the 90s on I believe it was a Treble list.
Yes, but that's the only entry I'm aware of.

It was also on the top 30 Wilco song list.

Are all songs that say "yes" going to be in the top 3000 then? For instance, She's So High and To The End by Blur are currently bubbling under, and they say yes on the spreadsheet, so does mean they will be ranked after the update?

Viguen
Are all songs that say "yes" going to be in the top 3000 then? For instance, She's So High and To The End by Blur are currently bubbling under, and they say yes on the spreadsheet, so does mean they will be ranked after the update?
No, it means that they are or will be on the website, as part of the top 3000 or bubbling under.

Henrik
Viguen
No, it means that they are or will be on the website, as part of the top 3000 or bubbling under.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I should be thanking you for posting this spreadsheet or cursing you. (I kid, of course.) On the one hand, after I downloaded it, I decided that I should try to collect every song on there, and I've found some absolute gems that I otherwise would never have discovered. On the other hand, my desire to collect (and more specifically, my desire for completeness) means I'm probably going to be looking for music for the rest of my life.

I couldn't help but notice that there are some songs on that list that are doubled up. (Example: the song "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" by Tony Bennett is listed twice, once as "...San Fransisco") I don't know, but perhaps if these "doubles" are fixed, some songs might end up a little higher on the list. I'm making a list of what "doubles" there are, and when I finish up I'll let you know.

Thanks again for everything you do, Henrik. You're a prince of a fellow.

It would be great with a list of double entries. Now and then I discover those myself, and sometimes the combined data is enough for a song to be included at AM.

Odd observation- in the 1,001/10,001 book, "Ain't Nobody" actually was listed twice- under Chaka Khan and then under Rufus & Chaka Khan. To the right of the R&CK entry, I made a note that it was listed twice.

I'm almost up to the "T's" in the index, so I will then encounter Mr., Bennett.

Wow, that's awesome JR!

I found a couple of possible double entries:

- Zappa, Frank/The Mothers of Invention
"Who Needs The Peace Corps" / "Who Needs This Peace Corps"

- Velvet Underground, The "I'm Waiting for the Man" / "Waiting for the Man (ej singel)" (but possibly not "Sweet Jane" and "Rock and Roll")

If something's off by a word or so, I make note of that, too, for the 1,001/10,001 book.

I came across another double entry- "Tom's Diner." The book lists it under Suzanne Vega and also DNA Feat. Suzanne Vega. Rather than make two entries, I made a note about it in the spreadsheet- Henrik, you can do as you will when you eventually work with it. :)

JR
I came across another double entry- "Tom's Diner." The book lists it under Suzanne Vega and also DNA Feat. Suzanne Vega. Rather than make two entries, I made a note about it in the spreadsheet- Henrik, you can do as you will when you eventually work with it. :)

JR, that may not actually be a double entry - there might be separate entries for Vega's original a capella version from SOLITUDE STANDING and for DNA's hit remix from three years later.

Indeed, Harold. I remembered that there was a pre-remix version, but thank you for reiterating that info. I had actually overlooked the D.N.A. entry for "Tom's Diner" in the spreadsheet I'm working on, so I'm glad you responded and I went back and looked for that. Now, both the original and remix are X'd.

Henrik, regarding this songs spreadsheet...

I discovered that there are a few very early (pre-1920) songs that appear to be from a list called the Peelennium (a couple of links to the list appear below). However, only the first 80 songs from the list (the ones from 1900 to 1919) appear on your songs spreadsheet. Beginning with song #81, there aren't any more songs from Peelennium on the spreadsheet (except of course for songs that also appear on other lists). Here's some possibilities that I thought of...

a) The Peelennium list is not eligible for inclusion on AM, and the fact that the first 80 songs are on the spreadsheet is mere coincidence.

b) The Peelennium list IS eligible for inclusion, but you didn't know about this list, and the fact that the first 80 songs are on the spreadsheet is mere coincidence.

c) The Peelennium list is eligible for inclusion, you were aware of it, and you accidentally left off the remaining songs.

d) Some other possibility.

I certainly don't mean to nitpick; I just thought I might bring it to your attention.

http://www.citizendia.org/Peelennium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelennium

It is c. Thanks Matt for this check!

If anyone would like to create a spreadsheet of this list with surnames first that would help me a lot.

Henrik
If anyone would like to create a spreadsheet of this list with surnames first that would help me a lot.

I'm actually already working on this.

Wow, thanks!

Matt Schroeder
Henrik

I'm actually already working on this.
Matt, how is the work on John Peel's list getting along?

Is there a newer iteration of this spreadsheet which reflects the newly collated lists and the corrections others have made?

I second the query about an updated spreadsheet that JR was working on. I would love to be able to see the version with the 1001/10001 song column included. Thanks!