Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 01/10/2011 A Poor Substitute for Mega-Critic-Chart: Best Reviewed Albums Of 2011, so far

Many thanks for this list, Otisredding! I have finally linked to your list from the AM home page.

Two minor comments on your excellent presentation:

In your sentence "The final numbers is the average rating and number of reviews in brackets (over 22)" I think it should be "weighted rating" and not the average.

It would be great if you could list the sources with every monthly update.

Thanks again!

Re: 01/10/2011 A Poor Substitute for Mega-Critic-Chart: Best Reviewed Albums Of 2011, so far

Henrik

In your sentence "The final numbers is the average rating and number of reviews in brackets (over 22)" I think it should be "weighted rating" and not the average.

Ok

Henrik
It would be great if you could list the sources with every monthly update.

Not sure I understand what you mean kind of information

The list of 22 magazines consulted?
The score of each magazine for each album?

Sorry, my English is very limited

Si el señor de la foto lee este mensaje que me responda aquí, por favor. Necesito que me ayude con alguna traducción.

Lo siento. No he conservado tu e-mail.

Otisredding
The list of 22 magazines consulted?
Yes, if it's not too much work.

Where is that picture from? Have you met each other?

Perdona, Otis, he hecho tarde. Efectivamente Henrik te pedía la lista de fuentes (sources) de donde obtienes los puntos, o sea, como tú le has dicho, las revistas. Y mi e-mail es hbarranco@telefonica.net

No, Henrik, Otis and me never met (por cierto, Otis ¿dónde vives?). But last week Miguel and me met in the beautiful city of Oviedo and we enjoyed a great conversation and dinner at his home (his wife, Pilar, was an excellent cook just like Malin or Sophie, it seems that my wife is the only one not so outstanding)
I was planning to post some comments and photos one of these days, in fact we talked about reproducing Pet Shop Boys "Actually" cover art but finally we felt shy about it and did some conventional photos instead.

That photograph of mine comes from an interview on the radio about Oftalmorock (not particularly proud about it). Oddly enough, that interview was held at Radio Intereconomía, home of the far-right and ultra-conservatives in Spain.

Man, it's awesome that you have an event called Oftalmorock! I saw the homepage and it seems to be really great. Medical fellowship events in my city aren't near as creative and interesting as this seems to be.

I love ophtalmology. When I was finishing college, I had it as one of my main options to follow. In the end I began medical clinic in order to probably make oncology next, but sometimes I still think with myself: oh, what if I had made ophtalmology?

Honorio
But last week Miguel and me met in the beautiful city of Oviedo... we talked about reproducing Pet Shop Boys "Actually" cover art but finally we felt shy about it and did some conventional photos instead.

You should have. We would have found it amusing. People on this forum (including myself) aren't very keen to do spontaneous posts. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it shows that the people on here have considered opinions. But sometimes I wish we could be a bit more chatty. We are a community after all.

PS: Otisredding, thanks for this!

Hey, I know I said I wouldn't run forum games anymore, but is anyone thinking about some kind of 'Moderate songs of 2011' thing?

I might be inclined to run a simple, short game where everybody nominates one song, and it just goes 16-4-1, with four songs per week so everybody has plenty of time to listen. You could pick any song you want, so long as it isn't on an album in the top 50.

BillAdama
Hey, I know I said I wouldn't run forum games anymore

Amazing how a person with a sense of curiosity can always find time for the hobbies he loves, no matter how busy the new job.

BillAdama

I might be inclined to run a simple, short game where everybody nominates one song, and it just goes 16-4-1, with four songs per week so everybody has plenty of time to listen. You could pick any song you want, so long as it isn't on an album in the top 50.

Sounds good to me. I'm already working on my first all-time songs list for next year's poll and this sounds like a good way to get recommendations from other AM'ers.

Dan M

People on this forum (including myself) aren't very keen to do spontaneous posts. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it shows that the people on here have considered opinions. But sometimes I wish we could be a bit more chatty. We are a community after all.

PS: Otisredding, thanks for this!

Thank God we have a little Latin spontaneity here sometimes
I was joking of course, I know you don't mind mocking Anglo-saxon prudery
And Hon we're waiting for the photos. Too bad you didn't add a new fake cover to our collection

nicolas

I couldn't agree more. Here's a prime example of refreshing Latin spontaneity...

Otisredding
I encourage all AM'ers to listen "In Dreams" and sing the song with Roy Orbison (but in reality it is impossible). This really is a drug. It is unlike any other musical experience. In a survey a few years ago I heard this wonderful song carefully and understood that it is the best song of all time.

After that, I read the story of Roy Orbison and is so incredibly sad ...

Roy, I love you

Translation by google, sorry

It made me listen to the song in a completely different way.

And then of course there's Honorio's monthly piece about his favourite Spanish song of each year. If I had to quote from that I'd be up all night.

Dan M

Amazing how a person with a sense of curiosity can always find time for the hobbies he loves, no matter how busy the new job.

When I first got to work and saw three or four other people wearing headphones, I was like, YES!!!

Will Radiohead...

fare better on year-end lists than it does in this listing? That band is not used to such low placement. :)

Re: Will Radiohead...

Well speaking as someone who actually really likes the King of Limbs, I'm thinking that it will do a bit of a Kid A. People will lambast it for being stupid and silly and bad Flying Lotus, but with time I think it will catch on. Of course its peak will be nowhere near as high as Kid A's peak, but I do think it will eventually top 10 for its year (though when "eventually" is, I have no idea).

Hey, JR and Zorg, thanks for reviving this thread, I forgot to answer some questions here...

nicolas

Yes, just look to what this thread became after a few comments, and I'm going to try to continue in the same line...
Toni
I love ophtalmology. When I was finishing college, I had it as one of my main options to follow. In the end I began medical clinic in order to probably make oncology next, but sometimes I still think with myself: oh, what if I had made ophtalmology?

Hi, Toni, I didn't know that you were studying Medicine (or even you’re a doctor by now). I wish you the best of lucks with your studies or with your job. But as I can see the study plannings are very different in Brazil and in Spain, I mean here you need to study Medicine first (6 years) and then pass an exam to choose speciality. Depending on your position on this exam you got more or less options to choose an speciality, I mean you don't decide to be an Ophthalmologist before studying Medicine. Anyway good luck with Oncology if it's your wish, I think it's a tough speciality (I remember seeing a grown-up doctor crying for the death of a patient when I was student).
BillAdama
Dan M

When I first got to work and saw three or four other people wearing headphones, I was like, YES!!!
That's something that I would like strongly and that causes envy to me, in my daily work I usually can't get not even two minutes to peep into AM Forum.
Dan M
And then of course there's Honorio's monthly piece about his favourite Spanish song of each year. If I had to quote from that I'd be up all night.

Hey, many thanks, Dan M, you're so kind. Following a Nicolas suggestion, probably I could make a personal blog about it...

And the most important…
Otisredding
Si el señor de la foto lee este mensaje que me responda aquí, por favor. Necesito que me ayude con alguna traducción.

Otis ask me to translate some things about this thread. First about his formula:
"The ratings come from a formula I invented myself that includes a) average of ratings from different sources and b) numbers of magazines that rated the album.
The Formula: Album's average score + ((number of reviews for this album - number of critical mediating between the top 50):2)"
Otis, como te dije en el correo es el último punto de la fórmula lo que no queda del todo claro

Then about the magazines used by Otis:
"The magazines I used for the ratings were:
USA: All Music Guide; AV Club; Cokemachineglow; One Thirty BPM;Pitchforkmedia, Popmatters, Rolling Stone, Slant, Spin, Tinymixtapes
UK: Drowned In Sound, The Guardian, Music OMH, NME, No Ripcord
EUR: Gaffa; Nojesguiden; Plattentests
SPA: Playgrounmag; Mondosonoro; Jenesaispop

And his explanations:
"I’ve been takin account of record ratings from 22 magazines for a while just for my own interest. That’s why I weighted the ratings of three Spanish web-magazines that I usually consult, MondoSonoro, JeNeSaisPop and PlaygroundMag. Since Stefan left Megacritic I decided to post what I’ve got but I know that it could be better to replace one or two of the Spanish magazines for another prestigious European magazine that publish at least 400 record reviews per year. I told this on a previous thread but I got no answer. Any suggestions about that?"

Honorio
Toni

Hi, Toni, I didn't know that you were studying Medicine (or even you’re a doctor by now). I wish you the best of lucks with your studies or with your job. But as I can see the study plannings are very different in Brazil and in Spain, I mean here you need to study Medicine first (6 years) and then pass an exam to choose speciality. Depending on your position on this exam you got more or less options to choose an speciality, I mean you don't decide to be an Ophthalmologist before studying Medicine. Anyway good luck with Oncology if it's your wish, I think it's a tough speciality (I remember seeing a grown-up doctor crying for the death of a patient when I was student).

Hon, than I think our studying path in Brazil is quite similar to yours in Spain. I have finished medicine course ("faculdade" is the name here, which would be translated as something like "college") two years ago, here the course takes 6 years long too. By the end I took the exams in order to follow the specially I wanted to (here the specialization course is called "residência médica"). Then there's the difference from here's system to yours. If I understood right, in Spain all the candidates make a single test for an institution, then the best placed ones choose the speciallity they want, and as the list goes down the others go opting for the remaining vacancies, correct? Well, here every candidate also make the same test for the institution, but, before taking the exam, we already choose the speciality vacancy we want to compete for (and that leads to some discrepant competition rates, like 200 people fighting for 4 dermatology vacancies, and only 3 people fighting for 4 geriatrics vacancies, ).

Well, by the end of medicine college, the fields I had liked the most were oncology, ophtalmology and radiology (yes, I know one has nothing to do with the other, ). Here to make some clinical specialities you have to make "residência" in medical clinics first. So as I had decided to try oncology, I took tests for medical clinics two years ago. By now I'm finishing this specialization and will take exams for oncology, which will begin less than 3 weeks from now! . I also consider it a very tough speciality, but after my one month internship I decided I really liked it. Well, let's see how things will go from now on...

Good luck Toni !
Though i'm not a doctor myself, I'm surronded by them -my parents, sister, sister in law, friends like Honorio- and I know how long and hard those studies are, and most of the times the real job after them !!

Thanks, Nic! And I almost forgot to also thank Honorio for his good luck wishes.
Obrigado, pessoal!