The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2011/2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

it is up to the 400-500 voting members of the Hall of Fame as to who gets inducted. Joan Jett and Heart getting in at the same time? I'd be surprised. For a while, I thought Heart may have suffered because of the slick 80s material (much like Chicago).

I'd rather see Pat Benatar over Joan Jett- her overall body of work is stronger (though neither is a big critical favorite).

What about Sonic Youth? T. Rex? Big Star? Roxy Music? Nick Drake?

The RnR Hall of Fame is such a joke.

Roxy Music and Sonic Youth are some of the more deserving that have not yet been inducted. Sonic's only been eligible since 2007, so it hasn't been that long of a wait.

Not everything is perfect- and no one's saying the HOF is. But, for the most part, much of the deserving lot gets their due. And, the first-year-eligible inductees usually are no-brainers- I suspect GNR will get in this year.

JR
Roxy Music and Sonic Youth are some of the more deserving that have not yet been inducted. Sonic's only been eligible since 2007, so it hasn't been that long of a wait.

Not everything is perfect- and no one's saying the HOF is. But, for the most part, much of the deserving lot gets their due. And, the first-year-eligible inductees usually are no-brainers- I suspect GNR will get in this year.

If Madonna wasn't in, you'd be petitioning and picketing.

LOL

Well, since she's one of the no-brainers, no need to ponder that.

(And, for the record- I wouldn't make the trip to picket for anybody. I didn't even attend her last tour, as fun as it looked- just wasn't a priority).

And the Inductees Are...

Beastie Boys
Donovan
Guns N' Roses
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Small Faces/The Faces

Re: And the Inductees Are...

LAURA NYRO!

Laura Nyro is the most deserving who will probably not get in.

I'm surprised The Cure didn't get in yet. RHCP and GNR seem like shoo-ins.

Laura...

IS in, Bill- what I posted a couple of posts up is this year's inductees, announced today.

Donovan, The Faces and Nyro have been eligible since 1990, 1991 and 1992- lengthy waits for all three.

Re: Laura...

It will be interesting to see if the original Guns n' Roses lineup plays together at the event.

Re: Laura...

Too bad about the Cure. Oh well.
I thought that the Hall only inducted 5 acts each year? Did they change it?

Very good class. Laura Nyro's selection is shocking, as is the Cure's non-selection. Beastie Boys, RHCP, and GNR were absolute shoo-ins. This would be a fun concert.

I doubt we'd get Axel and Slash on the same stage- but stranger things have happened... Or have they?

Apparently Freddie King is getting inducted as well as an "early influence". Good to see him getting his due.

Backing Groups Inducted...

http://news.yahoo.com/rock-hall-adds-6-groups-list-inductees-050617426.html

Rock Hall adds 6 groups to list of inductees
Associated Press

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame says six additional groups will be inducted this year after a committee determined they should be recognized with previously enshrined original lead singers.

The Blue Caps, the Comets, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters and the Miracles will be inducted at the April ceremony in Cleveland.

The Crickets' Buddy Holly and the Famous Flames' James Brown were inducted in 1986. The Comets' Bill Haley and the Miracles' Smokey Robinson were inducted in 1987. The Midnighters' Hank Ballard was inducted in 1990 and the Blue Caps' Gene Vincent was inducted in 1998.

Previously announced inductees are the Beastie Boys, Donovan, Guns N' Roses, Laura Nyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Small Faces/The Faces, Freddie King, Don Kirshner, Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns.