The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AM World Cup: The Final Match

Otis Redding (Sitin’ on the Dock of the Bay) def The Rolling Stones ((I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction) 15-6
There you have it. Otis Redding defeats the Stones in painless fashion to win the 2011 AM World Cup. We’ll see both teams (and hopefully both managers) back for the 2012 Cup.

Congratulations Schwah, excellently played!

Stephan
Congratulations Schwah, excellently played!

Thanks! I had a blast, and admit to having some silly little bit of pride in winning the tournament. I do think Redding might have had an easier road than others to get there, but winning those first two group stage matches allowed me to save one of my big three singles until the end.

What I was particularly happy about was that I won with an artist with "only" five AM3000 songs. And I didn't even pick two of them.

Enough boasting (although if I had any Photoshop skills, I'd superimpose Redding's face over Iker Casillas', lifting the cup... with Steve Cropper, Booker T, Isaac Hayes, and Donald Dunn celebrating alongside).

Most importantly, big thanks to Listyguy for running a really fun tournament. It had the most important element: I got to discover new songs I liked. But it also nicely and organically bridged the gap between people wanting to play a game strategically and wanting a game representing what people's actual tastes and preferences are.

Congratulations to Otis Redding and Schwah. Well done! And Viva listyguy! This was such a fun competition, and I hope it resumes next year.

Thanks for the praise!
I would like to say that one on my favorite discoveries from the Cup was Fela Kuti.

Yes, it was a great game. I jumped in too late (I was busy previously with the 60s poll) but I've enjoyed it a lot. Can I volunteer as Bowie team manager for next edition?