The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: DIVISIONS: Cup Tournament Round 3

David Bowie (“Five Years” & “Rock & Roll Suicide”) vs. The Cure (“Plainsong” & untitled track)
Jimi Hendrix (“Purple Haze” & “Are You Experienced?”) vs. Radiohead (“Airbag” & “The Tourist”) Let's go Jimi!
Rolling Stones (“Rocks Off” & “Soul Survivor”) vs. Velvet Underground (“Monday Morning” & “European Son”) Mediocre match.
The Beatles (Taxman” & “Tomorrow Never Knows”) vs. Neil Young (“Tell Me Why” & “Cripple Creak Ferry”) Two of the best songs on the album.
Bob Dylan (“Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35” & “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”) vs. R.E.M. (“Drive” & “Find the River”) Both start off with an amazing song, but finish with a lesser song.
Prince (“Sign ‘o’ the Times” & “Adore”) vs. U2 (“Where the Streets Have No Name” & “Mothers of the Disappeared”) Again, strong start, weak finish.
Led Zeppelin (“Black Dog” & “When the Levee Breaks”) vs. The Who (“Baba O’Riley” & “Won’t Get Fooled Again”) Damn. The Who might beat my favorite album just because they've got the two best songs from the album bookending it.

David Bowie (“Five Years” & “Rock & Roll Suicide”) Bowie wins easily in a rather lackluster matchup.
Jimi Hendrix (“Purple Haze” & “Are You Experienced?”) The first half was close, but Jimi pulls ahead in the second half.
Rolling Stones (“Rocks Off” & “Soul Survivor”) Tied at halftime, but the Stones eek out a victory.
The Beatles (Taxman” & “Tomorrow Never Knows”) Injury-time goal wins it for the Beatles.
Bob Dylan (“Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35” & “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”) R.E.M held the lead at halftime, but Dylan pulls off the comeback.
U2 (“Where the Streets Have No Name” & “Mothers of the Disappeared”) U2 holds on for the victory after gaining an early advantage.
The Who (“Baba O’Riley” & “Won’t Get Fooled Again”) Perhaps the greatest bookend songs of all time.
Bruce Springsteen (“Thunder Road” & “Jungleland”) This one wasn't too close.

David Bowie ("Five Years" & "Rock & Roll Suicide") vs. The Cure ("Plainsong" & untitled track)
Jimi Hendrix ("Purple Haze" & "Are You Experienced?") vs. Radiohead ("Airbag" & "The Tourist") - though I prefer to mix Purple Haze & The Tourist (or Foxey Lady & The Tourist)
Rolling Stones ("Rocks Off" & "Soul Survivor") vs. Velvet Underground ("Monday Morning" & "European Son")
The Beatles ("Taxman" & "Tomorrow Never Knows") vs. Neil Young ("Tell Me Why" & "Cripple Creak Ferry")
Bob Dylan ("Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35" & "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands") vs. R.E.M. ("Drive" & "Find the River")
Prince ("Sign ‘o’ the Times" & "Adore") vs. U2 ("Where the Streets Have No Name" & "Mothers of the Disappeared")
Led Zeppelin ("Black Dog" & "When the Levee Breaks") vs. The Who ("Baba O’Riley" & "Won’t Get Fooled Again")
Bruce Springsteen ("Thunder Road" & "Jungleland") vs. The Smiths ("The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty)" & "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others")

No mentions about "Monday Morning"? Well, even if it is Sunday Morning (which is a better opener than Fleetwood Mac's) it can not counterbalance the torture of European Son for me.

Henrik
No mentions about "Monday Morning"?

What are you talking about?

I was wondering why there were only seven...
Anyway, I'll vote for Bruce. Jungleland is an almighy song.

Henrik
No mentions about "Monday Morning"
It's funny how your mind corrects things, I'm confident I read Sunday Morning, but sure enough, it says Monday Morning in my own post.

Also, I vote for Bruce.

The Cure (“Plainsong” & untitled track)
Jimi Hendrix (“Purple Haze” & “Are You Experienced?”)
Rolling Stones (“Rocks Off” & “Soul Survivor”)
(“Tell Me Why” & “Cripple Creak Ferry”)
R.E.M. (“Drive” & “Find the River”)
Prince (“Sign ‘o’ the Times” & “Adore”)
The Who (“Baba O’Riley” & “Won’t Get Fooled Again”)

EDIT
The Smiths (“The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty)” & “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others”)

Neil Young (“Tell Me Why” & “Cripple Creak Ferry”)
Bob Dylan (“Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35” & “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”)
U2 (“Where the Streets Have No Name” & “Mothers of the Disappeared”)
Bruce Springsteen (“Thunder Road” & “Jungleland”)

Bah, I'm so bad with song names.

pass
Velvet Underground (“Sunday Morning” & “European Son”)
The Beatles (Taxman” & “Tomorrow Never Knows”)
U2 (“Where the Streets Have No Name” & “Mothers of the Disappeared”)

EDIT

Radiohead (“Airbag” & “The Tourist”)
R.E.M. (“Drive” & “Find the River”)
Led Zeppelin (“Black Dog” & “When the Levee Breaks”)
The Smiths (“The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty)” & “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others”)

Bruce Springsteen (“Thunder Road” & “Jungleland”) on the last matchup for me.

David Bowie (“Five Years” & “Rock & Roll Suicide”)
Radiohead (“Airbag” & “The Tourist”)
Velvet Underground (“Sunday Morning” & “European Son”)
Neil Young (“Tell Me Why” & “Cripple Creak Ferry”) (close...Tomorrow Never Knows is one of my favourite songs ever, but Taxman isn't that great. on the other hand, these two are more than solid)
Led Zeppelin (“Black Dog” & “When the Levee Breaks”)

And Bruce (though it's quite close).

David Bowie (“Five Years” & “Rock & Roll Suicide”)

Funny how some albums on my personal Top 10 lose with that “bookends” approach

RESULTS

Results given in vote count rather than goals. No teams from the lower divisions made it to the quarterfinals.

David Bowie (“Five Years” & “Rock & Roll Suicide”) def. The Cure (“Plainsong” & untitled track) 7-3-1
Jimi Hendrix (“Purple Haze” & “Are You Experienced?”) def. Radiohead (“Airbag” & “The Tourist”) 8-3
Rolling Stones (“Rocks Off” & “Soul Survivor”) def. Velvet Underground (“Sunday Morning” & “European Son”) 6-5
The Beatles (Taxman” & “Tomorrow Never Knows”) def. Neil Young (“Tell Me Why” & “Cripple Creak Ferry”) 6-5
Bob Dylan (“Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35” & “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”) def. R.E.M. (“Drive” & “Find the River”) 7-4
Prince (“Sign ‘o’ the Times” & “Adore”) def. U2 (“Where the Streets Have No Name” & “Mothers of the Disappeared”) 6-5
The Who (“Baba O’Riley” & “Won’t Get Fooled Again”) def. Led Zeppelin (“Black Dog” & “When the Levee Breaks”) 6-5
Bruce Springsteen (“Thunder Road” & “Jungleland”) def. The Smiths (“The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty)” & “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others”) 9-2

Re: RESULTS

It's interesting that in this format the quarterfinals look almost identical to the 'Favorite artist' polls.

Ok, I did not take the time to listen to the songs I don't know, so here goes the match-ups where I know all 4 songs well enough.

David Bowie (“Five Years” & “Rock & Roll Suicide”) vs. The Cure (“Plainsong” & untitled track) : close call though
Jimi Hendrix (“Purple Haze” & “Are You Experienced?”) vs. Radiohead (“Airbag” & “The Tourist”) : draw between Are You Experienced and Airbag, 2 songs I love, but Purple Haze easily beats The Tourist
Rolling Stones (“Rocks Off” & “Soul Survivor”) vs. Velvet Underground (“Sunday Morning” & “European Son”) : Exile is good as a whole, not song wise. And well, not my cup of tea anyway.
Led Zeppelin (“Black Dog” & “When the Levee Breaks”) vs. The Who (“Baba O’Riley” & “Won’t Get Fooled Again”) : Wow what a match-up, Black Dog being the lesser song (even if very good), I have to go with The Who.