Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The list-making workshop : sharing our list-making methods

Moonbeam
If Henrik gets back to me, I'll also have an option for ranking artists based on an album and song list.
Have you ask me about this before? I'd of course be happy to help you out with whatever you need.

My dream application is a feature in Spotify. That if you shuffle a playlist you could actively listen and compare each song with the previous song and then tick one of the buttons "better" or "worse".
- if you tick "better" and song B is behind song A in the playlist, song B would automatically move up to the place just ahead of song A
- if you tick "worse" and song B is ahead of song A in the playlist, song B would automatically move down to the place just behind song A
- otherwise no changes to the order of the playlist
Then song C is compared to song B and so on...

Henrik
Moonbeam
If Henrik gets back to me, I'll also have an option for ranking artists based on an album and song list.
Have you ask me about this before? I'd of course be happy to help you out with whatever you need.

My dream application is a feature in Spotify. That if you shuffle a playlist you could actively listen and compare each song with the previous song and then tick one of the buttons "better" or "worse".
- if you tick "better" and song B is behind song A in the playlist, song B would automatically move up to the place just ahead of song A
- if you tick "worse" and song B is ahead of song A in the playlist, song B would automatically move down to the place just behind song A
- otherwise no changes to the order of the playlist
Then song C is compared to song B and so on...

I was hoping you would give me advice about how to apply a modification of your artist ranking formula to these lists based on the number of albums/songs they have.

For instance, if a person has a list of their top 400 albums and top 1000 songs, how do you think the artist formula should apply? More specifically, I know AM uses 3100 to fill in gaps where artists have fewer than 6 albums/songs. What would you recommend in such a case?

Moonbeam, do you think you can have your program ready soon ?
Because the AM poll is coming up, and I was hoping your new program could help us.
Do you really need to include this artist formula if there is a specific artist ranker program ?
I mean this artist list based on their albums and songs doesn't really reflect one's taste about artists. An artists is much more than the sum of his/her albums and songs. ANd what to do with artists who are from the pre-album era ? NO, I think an artist ranker program would be much more intersting that taking a lot of time with a biased formula. But of course that is my modest opinion.

I agree with Nicolas that the artist rank is more than the sum of albums and songs. One thing is if the artist writes his/her own songs. If not, I suppose that for most people the credit is spread between the writer and the performer. Then there's live performances and so on...

I also feel that for personal use the AM artist ranking formula weighs the top songs too high. For me personally, an artist with say 6 songs in the 2001-3000 region would beat an artist with one song in my all-time top 10 but nothing else that I enjoy. As plenty of people have already used the AM algorithm, I am surprised that no one has mentioned this before.