Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have you ever turned on an album... or an entire genre?

Two examples in my case:

I used to love Kid A- it usually ended up on my top 5-10 of all time. I just don't love it anymore. It's still top 200, but I don't think there has been a single album other than stuff I liked when I was 12 that I have turned on so much. There was a time when I would have argued Kid A over OK Computer and now I'd probably put The Bends over it.

Second, I just don't like hip-hop as much as I used to. I just don't care to hear new stuff anymore because I was always a casual fan of the genre and it feels like it's reached a point where nothing fresh is coming out. But, I don't even think it's that, I don't even care to listen to my favorite hip-hop records much anymore. It just doesn't hit me the way it used to.

Re: Have you ever turned on an album... or an entire genre?

Well, I used to like The Offspring, but now I can't fathom why. I've also totally soured on most of Lenny Kravitz. "Fly Away" was the warning shot and "American Woman" was the kill shot. Arcade Fire are in danger of suffering the same fate if they keep releasing tripe like The Suburbs.

As for albums, I used to really, really like The Rainbow Children by Prince, enough to put it among my top 40. Now it's not in my top 500, as I never listen to it all at once, as in its entirety I now find it sounds like a claustrophobic headache.

in the UK a lot of people turned on Britpop after Oasis failed to deliver anything as good as their first two albums. I rather enjoyed late 90s britpop but it got a bad wrap because of Oasis and Robbie Williams. Yeah a boy band member trying to go solo and write a good pop album, that'll never happen. People will laugh you off the stage and never take you seriously...Oh wait a minute Justin Timberlake. Pitchfork even named his album one of the best of the decade. Robbie was ahead of his time. People were afraid to like him. I accepted and respected him for his amazing crossover. At least his first two albums were pretty good. I don't blame him for killing britpop.

As for me I used to love Lily Allen and Kate Nash but turned on them after the whole soulbritgrrl thing got out of hand and everyone started sounding like a wannabe Amy Whinehouse meets Dusty Springfield meets Kate Bush hybrid.

Before I got into classic rock there was a lot of post-grunge and adult contemp stuff I liked, such as Creed, MB20, etc, most of which I either stopped liking or downgraded to 'Decent' after I heard the Beatles and Dylan.

Also I used to love Tommy and now I dislike most of it.

Belle & Sebastian and Vashti Bunyan. but mostly Belle & Sebastian.

ps: ZAZ's going to be next, i'm afraid. please/ffs make my gf stop playing her...

When I first got into music I liked Michael Jackson and Norwegian fluffy hair bands like TNT, Da Vinci and Stage Dolls. However, being 6 years old passes as a valid excuse. Then, at 14, I was well into Oasis, Blur and all the other britrock bands. I don't really listen to that anymore.

At 22 I listened to the new rock scene, and while I still enjoy some of it, I can't really say I ever put on Cooper Temple Clause, The Datsuns or The Electric Soft Parade anymore. So I would say staying faithful to an artist during their whole career, nah, that's not for me. When I'm tired of it, I'll move on to something new.

Also, I had a year I listened a lot (as in 'all the time') to classical music. I don't really do that anymore either, but I'll probably pick it up again sometimes.

Rune's back! NOW this is what i call a jawsome day--

As embarrassing as it sounds, I used to like mainstream pop (cheesy dance, club, and rap, Top 40 stuff). Thank goodness I discovered this site and Mega Critic (while it lasted) before it was to late, or else I would have missed out on a lot of great stuff. My allegiance to hard rock hasn't wavered, though.