Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A teaser for the next update

I really shouldn't be doing this, because it will make you scream more about the next update, and I haven't added any of the (probably > 500) "new" songs to the database yet. I am sure that I will need every day until November...

But I have added the 2000s lists and some all-time lists for the songs that are already at AM, and I just can't keep quiet about the outcome. For sure, I have never made a site update with such dramatic changes, and here are the biggest climbers of them all. (I won't tell how much they have climbed though, my numbers are only preliminary anyway.)

Songs already in the top 3000 - biggest advances in percentage of their current positions
1. M.I.A. - Paper Planes
2. The Knife - Heartbeats
3. Justice Vs. Simian - We Are Your Friends
4. Wilco - Jesus Etc.
5. Jay-Z - 99 Problems
6. Portishead - Glory Box
7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
8. Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner
9. The Postal Service - Such Great Heights
10. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Songs currently bubbling under - highest new ranks
1. Radiohead - Idioteque
2. Björk - Hyper-Ballad
3. Radiohead - Everything In It's Right Place
4. Tom Waits - Jockey Full of Bourbon
5. Panda Bear - Bro's
6. The Cure - Killing An Arab
7. Lindstrom - I Feel Space
8. Bruce Springsteen - I'm on Fire
9. Louis Jordan - Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
10. Earth, Wind & Fire - Shining Star

Re: A teaser for the next update

Henrik
4. Wilco - Jesus Etc.
8. Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner
10. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Nice. I can understand Wilco's jump, because of the decade lists, interesting to see Jimi and Jeff on here though.

Thanks for the teaser Henrik, much appreciated. Once again, if you need any help, the forum is at your every beck and call.

I'll give you one more. Here are the ten songs that have the worst percentage change. They were included in many EOY lists but were no longer critics' favorites when the 2000s came to a close.

1. Missy Elliott - Work It
2. Kanye West - Gold Digger
3. The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
4. Usher - Yeah!
5. Travis - Sing
6. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
7. The Killers - When You Were Young
8. Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
9. LCD Soundsystem - Yeah
10. Franz Ferdinand - Do You Want To

Henrik

Portishead - Glory Box
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Björk - Hyper-Ballad
Tom Waits - Jockey Full of Bourbon
Bruce Springsteen - I'm on Fire

About time!

Henrik
4. Usher - Yeah!
It's good to see these getting demoted. If only Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson were on here.

Listyguy
Henrik
It's good to see these getting demoted.

Easy tiger. Don't with Missy and Kanye.

I could not agree more with these changes. I don't particularly care for any of the songs that dropped, and so many of the risers/new songs are awesome.

Glory Box, Jockey Full of Bourbon, Heartbeats, Jesus, Etc., and the two Radiohead songs are particularly deserving. Definitely wasn't expecting any pre-2000s songs to be on here. The Star Spangled Banner is definitely the most surprising.

Henrik

10. Earth, Wind & Fire - Shining Star

This was only bubbling under? Wow. Looking at their rankings now makes me think everything they've got is underrated.

Add Do You Want To to that list. I always thought that song was such a bore especially the chorus. I doesn't even sound good enough to be a Bside to their classic debut.

Henrik
I'll give you one more. Here are the ten songs that have the worst percentage change. They were included in many EOY lists but were no longer critics' favorites when the 2000s came to a close.

3. The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
4. Usher - Yeah!
5. Travis - Sing
6. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
7. The Killers - When You Were Young
10. Franz Ferdinand - Do You Want To

I really like the first 2 and D.A.N.C.E. but still I'm glad they go down a bit : as great as they are, they should not be on the top 250 all time.
I also like Yeah, but I'm pretty sure better LCD singles will climb on the list (how high do you think All My Friends can reach?)

On the other hand, Steady as She Goes and Do You Want To are pretty average songs that were overhyped because they were the first singles of hyped albums (who also lost lot of places in AM3000 after the 00s results) so I'm fine with them falling on the ranking.

When You Were Young might be the Killers less annoying song, so I'd rather get rid of the other ones first

2. The Knife - Heartbeats
7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

2. Björk - Hyper-Ballad
6. The Cure - Killing An Arab

Hooray!

Henrik

6. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

It's a shame about these, particularly "Yeah", which I think is the best LCD Soundsystem song prior to Sound of Silver. I also agree that "When You Were Young" is about as good as The Killers get, so I'd much rather have that be the only trace of acclaim they have on this site.

And then there's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, which is sure to make quite an impression for a song that hasn't even managed to bubble under yet. I wonder where Daft Punk will end up on the artist list with this update...

"Paper Planes" charging up the all-time list with a vengeance.

Thanks for the teaser, Henrik.

I'm calling it: Paper Planes to break top 100