Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acclaimed Music World Tour: Round #10, Miami

The home of Ace Ventura is the stop on the AMWT this week: Miami, Florida.

The rules are as follows:

In voting for this week's HEADLINER, voters have 10 points to distribute among as many artists as they like, with a maximum of 6 points for any one artist. The artist with the most points will be the HEADLINER while the runner-up will take the position of OPENING ACT.

In voting for this week's SET LIST, voters have 25 points to distribute among as many songs as they like, with a maximum of 12 points for any one song. The top ten songs will be played at this week's show.

Remember that the artists or songs that you choose should be associated with Miami or locations nearby (within the state of Florida for this week) in some way.

The most acclaimed artists of/connected to Miami and/or Florida according to Acclaimed Music (with their all-time rank in parentheses) are:

Lynyrd Skynyrd (191)
Gram Parsons (198)
Tom Petty (201)
Sam & Dave (420)
Cannonball Adderley (642)
Marilyn Manson (723)
Iron & Wine (734)
Fred Neil (752)
Archie Shepp (895)
George McCrae (996)
Backstreet Boys (1045)
Pearls Before Swine (1190)
KC and The Sunshine Band (1194)
Betty Wright (1283)
Rob Thomas (1390)

Some acclaimed songs about Miami and Florida:

The Beatles - "Back in the USSR"
Rick Ross - "Hustlin'"

Voting will end at 11:59 PM forum time on Monday, August 8th, 2011.

The home of the Miami Heat is the venue for this week, the American Airlines Arena. It's previously hosted a myriad of performers and music events, from the VMAs and Latin Grammys to Kanye West in its 12-year history.

Next week the tour turns slightly north to Atlanta, Georgia.

Re: Acclaimed Music World Tour: Round #10, Miami

I do not think I can vote this week. I tried really hard to justify voting for something I really liked at the home of Limp Bizkit, Creed, Molly Hatchett and 2 Live Crew and the best I could come up with was Matchbox 20, Petty and Vanilla Ice. "Ice Ice Baby" and Will Smith's "Miami". I am better off abstaining and waiting until next week...

I'm gonna self-impose a rule that only allows me to give artists a maximum of 4 and songs a maximum of 7 points; my lopsided votes are having a bit too much of an influence.

Gram Parsons (4)
Tom Petty (4)
Pearls Before Swine (2)

Tom Petty - Free Fallin' (7)
Pearls Before Swine - The Jeweler (5)
Gram Parsons - Hickory Wind (5)
Tom Petty - Yer So Bad (4)
Counting Crows - Miami (3)
U2 - Miami (1) - This steaming pile of dogturd better not make it because of my vote.

Slick
I do not think I can vote this week. I tried really hard to justify voting for something I really liked at the home of Limp Bizkit, Creed, Molly Hatchett and 2 Live Crew and the best I could come up with was Matchbox 20, Petty and Vanilla Ice. "Ice Ice Baby" and Will Smith's "Miami". I am better off abstaining and waiting until next week...

You're not a Skynyrd fan, Slick? I guess it's not the most natural fit to your MOR preferences but they do rock hard...

5- Tom Petty
5- Lynyrd Skynyrd

7- Free Fallin
7- Freebird
7- Soul Man
4- Sweet Home Alabama (Ironic, no?)

Alex D
Slick

You're not a Skynyrd fan, Slick? I guess it's not the most natural fit to your MOR preferences but they do rock hard...

There are 3 Skynyrd songs I like (The Ballad Of Curtis Lowe, Tuesday's Gone and another one that slips my mind) but my hatred for their 2 marquee songs makes them not an option. I would be okay giving Petty a couple of points if there were a headliner I could give 6, I just do not see anyone. So to be fair since I voted in all the others here it goes...

4- Sam and Dave
3- Tom Petty
1- Matchbox 20
1- Lynyrd Skynyrd
1- Vanilla Ice
1- Yellowcard

SONGS:
5- Sam and Dave - Hold On! I'm Coming!
5- Tom Petty - American Girl
4- Sam and Dave - Soul Man
3- Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Ballad Of Curtis Lowe
3- Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays Gone
2- Tom Petty - Rebels
1- Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff
1- Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
1- 2 Live Crew - Me So Horny

I have to go take a shower after typing this weeks list!!!

Lynyrd Skynyrd 4
Blind Blake 3 (great blues guitarist and singer from the 20's, not the one from the Bahamas who stole his name)
Gram Parsons 3
Tom Petty 2

songs
The Beatles – Back In The USSR 6
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird 6
Blind Blake - Diddy wah Diddy 4
Gram Parsons - Song For You 3
Tom Petty – American Girl 2
Sam & Dave – Soul Man 2
Cannonball Adderley Sextet – Gemini 2

Blind Blake (4)
Cannonball Adderley (3)
Gram Parsons (3)

Blind Blake - Diddy Wah Diddy (7)
The Beatles - Back in the USSR (6)
Sam & Dave - Soul Man (4)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (3)
Gram Parsons - Brass Buttons (2)
Fred Neil - Everybody's Talkin' (2)
Blind Blake - Police Dog Blues (1)

My vote:

Lynyrd Skynyrd (4)
Tom Petty (3)
Sam & Dave (2)
Rick Ross (1)

I do associate Sam & Dave more with Memphis than Florida, but that will be one crowded round so it's best to get them out of the way now.

Setlist:

Will Smith - "Miami" (9)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Free Bird" (9)
Sam & Dave - "Hold On I'm Coming" (7)

31 hours left in this one, but the Atlanta round will begin today.