Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acclaimed Music Trivia

What AM statistical distinction is shared by only The Stone Roses and Carole King?

Re: Acclaimed Music Trivia

Both only had one acclaimed album and all their acclaimed songs came off that album

Close to what I was thinking. They are the only two artists with albums in the top 100 who only have one acclaimed album.

What about the Sex Pistols?

Harold Wexler

Nope. "My Way" wasn't on Never Mind the Bollocks.

EDIT: Whoops. Harold, you're right. I was looking at O's category, not the one Paul had in mind.

(I leave my mistake unredacted as a reminder to be humble.)

OK, I've got one...what AM statistical distinction do the following artists (and no others) share?

Bob Dylan
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Miles Davis

schleuse
OK, I've got one...what AM statistical distinction do the following artists (and no others) share?

Bob Dylan
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Miles Davis
Hmm...Dylan is throwing me off. Without him, I would say it's that they all have a giant gap between their song rank and their album rank.

Had acclaimed albums in multiple decades? I just don't think they'd be the only ones with that distinction. So let's go top 10 albums of the year in two different decades.

John
Had acclaimed albums in multiple decades? I just don't think they'd be the only ones with that distinction. So let's go top 10 albums of the year in two different decades.

If that were the case the Stones would be there too. I have no idea at the moment what the answer is, but it's not this.

I have no clue either to schleuse's problem, but here's another one:

Joy Division then Stevie Wonder (particularly strange) then Captain Beefheart then The Stooges then Miles Davis then Tom Waits. I hope I got it right.

schleuse

Bob Dylan
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Miles Davis

Henrik
schleuse

Bob Dylan
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Miles Davis

Sorry, Henrik! I was in meetings all afternoon.

John is close: they’re the only six artists with two albums in the AM Top 300 separated by at least ten years.

Dylan is the king here, with 34 years separating Freewheelin’ and Time Out of Mind.

(For that matter, there are 12 years between Freewheelin’ and Blood on the Tracks, and 22 years between Blood on the Tracks and Time Out of Mind.)

The others:

Portishead (14 years between Dummy and Third)
Elvis (13 years between s/t and Elvis in Memphis)
Floyd (12 years between Piper at the Gates of Dawn and The Wall)
Radiohead (12 years between The Bends and In Rainbows)
Miles (11 years between Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew)

By the way, Johnny Cash just missed the list…American Recordings (26 years after At Folsom Prison) is at #304.

OK, my OCD made me look it up, if we make it two or more albums in the Top 500 separated by at least a decade, we add four more artists. I’ve mentioned Johnny Cash…the others are:

Lou Reed (17 years: Transformer – New York)
The Rolling Stones (14 years: s/t – Some Girls)
Green Day (10 years 7 months: Dookie – American Idiot)

And Miles goes up to 16 years between Birth of the Cool and Bitches Brew.

Roxy Music JUST misses: s/t and Avalon are 9 years 11 months apart.

Henrik, my first guess was that these artists’ two highest-ranked albums are ranked very close together…but that doesn’t apply to Captain Beefheart. Hmm…

This is a great thread. Now I need to think of one.

What statistical distinction do Count Baise, The Band, Roxy Music, Tom Waits, U2, and The Streets all have in common?

I Finally Came Up With One!

What do is the common bond of these albums:
-The Dark Side of the Moon
-Marquee Moon*
-Thriller
-Kind of Blue
-Forever Changes*

Re: I Finally Came Up With One!

@Nick

They each have two top ten of the year albums separated by two years or less, but not three.

Johnny Cash
Tom Waits
The Cure
Nick Cave
Sam Cooke
Paul Simon

"Joy Division then Stevie Wonder (particularly strange) then Captain Beefheart then The Stooges then Miles Davis then Tom Waits. I hope I got it right."

I thought I was wrong with this one but I double checked Joy Division because I thought one of those acclaimed songs had to have been on closer. But all of those artists have albums in the top 100 that don't have any songs that are in the AM 3000. It is unbelievable that not one song off of Stevie Wonder's second most acclaimed album (might as well be 1b), that also happens to be a double album doesn't have a single song in the top 3000.

There's a couple out there that I can't figure out, but here's a new one that might be a little easy.

What AM distinction (or maybe not a distinction in some cases) do The B-52's, Little Richard, Weezer, Traffic and Liz Phair all have in common?

John
all of those artists have albums in the top 100 that don't have any songs that are in the AM 3000.
Correct!

@Schleuse

Damn, I was close but I mostly looked at the yearly ranks and didn't get Elvis to fit in with the others since "in Memphis" is only the 18th album from 1969.

BillAdama

Johnny Cash
Tom Waits
The Cure
Nick Cave
Sam Cooke
Paul Simon

Artists whose highest-ranked album came at least ten years into their career?

Correct.

Listyguy
-Marquee Moon*
-Thriller
-Kind of Blue
-Forever Changes*
Any Takers?

Harold Wexler

Oh yeah. Missed that one. Bad question.

BillAdama
@Nick

They each have two top ten of the year albums separated by two years or less, but not three.

Johnny Cash
Tom Waits
The Cure
Nick Cave
Sam Cooke
Paul Simon

Extremely good guess, but the one I was thinking of was the fact that they are all the number 17 artist of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s.

Listyguy
Listyguy
-Marquee Moon*
-Thriller
-Kind of Blue
-Forever Changes*
Any Takers?

I can't figure this one out.

John

I'll give you a hint: click n the album.

Listyguy
John

I'll give you a hint: click n the album.
They have never been number one in a critics list. Weird stuff.

All time or decade list that is.

Henrik got it.
I was pretty suprised by the names on that list. The two with a * were included in a 1-20 range on a list, but I didn't count them.

John
There's a couple out there that I can't figure out, but here's a new one that might be a little easy.

What AM distinction (or maybe not a distinction in some cases) do The B-52's, Little Richard, Weezer, Traffic and Liz Phair all have in common?

Hmm. It's something to do with declining careers, yes? Here are individual album ranks, in chronological order, for these guys...very, very similar:

B-52's: 502, 2282, bubbling under
Little Richard: 407, 2785, bubbling under
Liz Phair: 253, 2763, bubbling under

Weezer and Traffic also have declining career paths, but they don't quite line up:

Weezer: 457, 547, 1742
Traffic: 630, 881, 504, 2703

I think I'm on the right track, but I haven't quite got it.

schleuse
John

Hmm. It's something to do with declining careers, yes? Here are individual album ranks, in chronological order, for these guys...very, very similar:

B-52's: 502, 2282, bubbling under
Little Richard: 407, 2785, bubbling under
Liz Phair: 253, 2763, bubbling under

Weezer and Traffic also have declining career paths, but they don't quite line up:

Weezer: 457, 547, 1742
Traffic: 630, 881, 504, 2703

I think I'm on the right track, but I haven't quite got it.

You are close but not quite there. Just so it's not misleading, there are probably many other bands with the same distinction.

Crap, I just realized that Traffic doesn't have the distinction I'm talking about. Major palm on forehead. Do you have it now?

An easy one while I try to solve John's :

What AM oddity is shared by DNA feat Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner and Kanye West - Can't Tell Me Nothing (and no other songs or albums)

Nassim
An easy one while I try to solve John's :

What AM oddity is shared by DNA feat Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner and Kanye West - Can't Tell Me Nothing (and no other songs or albums)

Their AM all-time rank = the year of their release (1990 and 2007, respectively).

Also, Derek and the Dominoes.

Kevin
Also, Derek and the Dominoes.

This is in regard to Paul's original question that started this thread, re: artists whose only acclaimed album is in the top 100. I don't think Layla counts, though - most people just see it as an Eric Clapton album. Technically, Kevin's right, but with an asterisk.