Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM World Cup: Week 2 of the Pool Round

And so the pool round continues, with the artists who did not compete last week having their first matches. Please remember when voting to vote for the song, not the artist. And DO NOT VOTE STRATEGICALLY!!!!! You should vote for the song you like more, not the song by the artist that isn’t going to be a threat to your team. Now that I got that out of the way, let me go ahead and show you this week’s competitors:

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) vs. Kanye West (Slow Jamz)
Jimi Hendrix (Fire) vs. Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version))
U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) vs. The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go)
Beck (Devil’s Haircut) vs. Boards of Canada (Roygbiv)
David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) vs. Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause)
Kraftwerk ( Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) vs. Coldplay (Lovers in Japan)
Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants)
New Order (Regret) vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix)
The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) vs. The Smiths (How Soon is Now)
The Beach Boys (I Get Around) vs. Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)*
Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) vs. Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum)
Tom Waits (Downtown Train) vs. Replacements (Bastards of Young)
Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) vs. Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me)
Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) vs. Pearl Jam (Last Kiss)
The Beatles (For No One) vs. James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix))
The Cure (Push) vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels))
*Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Continued)

The songs that are competing this week are in parenthesis. Please listen to both songs before voting.

Re: AM World Cup: Week 2 of the Pool Round

Please tell me if I have made any mistakes (hopefully not). Good luck to all teams.

L - Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) - 11.2 vs.
W - Kanye West (Slow Jamz) - 11

W - Jimi Hendrix (Fire)- 7 vs.
L - Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) - 11.2

W - U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) - 5 (live version) vs.
L - The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) - 6 (if we are instead supposed to be comparing the studio version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, it receives a 9 rating and the Clash win)

W - Beck (Devil’s Haircut) - 11 vs.
L - Boards of Canada (Roygbiv)- 11.3

W - David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) - 11 vs.
L - Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) - 11.4

L - Kraftwerk ( Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) - 11.6 vs.
W - Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) - 11.2

W - Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) - 7 vs.
L - Nirvana (Serve the Servants) - 11.3

W - New Order (Regret)- 11 vs.
L - Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) - 11.1 (first listening to Oberkorn, could be a grower)

W - The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) - 1 vs.
L - The Smiths (How Soon is Now) - 7

L - The Beach Boys (I Get Around) - 5 vs.
W - Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)*- 5
Very close match, too bad the Beach Boys weren't up against a different opponent. I don't see Pink Floyd winning this match when the final score is tallied.

L - Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) - 11.3 vs.
W - Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) - 11.1

L - Tom Waits (Downtown Train) - 11.9 vs.
W - Replacements (Bastards of Young) - 11

L - Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) - 8 vs.
W - Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) - 8
Very close for me. I wouldn't be surprised in Prince dominates this match with other AMers

W - Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive)- 4 vs.
L - Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) - 11 (not much of an improvement over the Cavaliers version as far as I can tell)

W - The Beatles (For No One) - 7 vs.
L - James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix))- 11.5

W - The Cure (Push) - 10 vs.
L - Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) - 11

Kanye West (Slow Jamz)
Jimi Hendrix Experience (Fire)
U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday)
Boards of Canada (Roygbiv)
David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes)
Kraftwerk (Taschenrechner)
Nirvana (Serve the Servants)
New Order (Regret)
The Smiths (How Soon is Now)
Pink Floyd (Shine On You Crazy Diamond)
Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart)
The Replacements (Bastards of Young)
Prince (Let's Go Crazy)
Steely Dan (Don't Take Me Alive)
James Brown (Give It Up or Turnit a Loose (In the Jungle Groove Remix))
The Cure (Push)

Henry, there are a *lot* of songs that absolutely revile you this week. (I'm glad someone's pickier than me!)

Needles In The Camel's Eye = beats Slow Jamz -
Fire ++ beats Sun Is Shining +
Sunday Bloody Sunday +++ beats Should I Stay Or Should I Go =
Roygbiv + beats Devil's Haircut +
Ashes To Ashes ++ beats Rebel Without A Pause +
Lovers In Japan = beats Pocket Calculator =
I Heard It Through The Grapevine ++ beats beats Serve The Servants ++
Regret + beats Oberkorn =
How Soon Is Now? +++ beats Behind Blue Eyes ++
Shine On You Crazy Diamond ++ beats I Get Around -
Pain In My Heart + beats Mardy Bum =
Downtown Train +++ beats Bastards Of Young ++

Winner: Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix)

"Regret" is great, but DM wins my honest vote. I think those who love David Bowie's "Low" really should enjoy this maxi-single B-side from Depeche Mode too. The development mix part (from 4:45 to the end) is my favorite.

More to come...

Jimi Hendrix (Fire) vs. Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) (Had to think about this for a night; extremely close)
Kraftwerk (Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) vs. Coldplay (Lovers in Japan)
Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants)
New Order (Regret) vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix)
The Beach Boys (I Get Around) vs. Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)
The Beatles (For No One) vs. James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix))

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) 4 vs. Kanye West (Slow Jamz) 4 TIE
Jimi Hendrix (Fire) 4.75 vs. Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) 4.5, but excellent Bob song
U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) 4.5 vs. The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) 4
Beck (Devil’s Haircut) 4.25 vs. Boards of Canada (Roygbiv) 3
David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) 5 (374)vs. Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) 5 (259)
Kraftwerk ( Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) 2.5 vs. Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) 3 : every time I go to the doctor she asks me if i have allergies and I say "synthetizers". What a weaaak matchup anyhow. At least my 7 year old daughter likes Coldplay.
Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through the Grapevine) 5 (101) vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants) 4 : good Nirvana track i didn't know
New Order (Regret) 3.75 vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) 3
The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) 4.75 vs. The Smiths (How Soon is Now) 3.25
The Beach Boys (I Get Around) 5 vs. Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)* 4
Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) 3.5 vs. Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) 4
Tom Waits (Downtown Train) 4.5 vs. Replacements (Bastards of Young) 3.5
Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) 4.5 vs. Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) 3.5
Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) 3.25 vs. Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) 3.25 : tie, none of the 2 inspires me enough
The Beatles (For No One) 5 vs. James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)) 4.25 : great JB song but can't compete against one of my favorite Beatles song
The Cure (Push) 3.5 vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) 4.5

I would go with Jimi over Bob most of the time, but in this particular case I like Sun is Shining more

Boards of Canada should sue Radiohead for plagiarism here !

Ashes to Ashes is not really what I prefer in Bowie's career, but I don't get most of the appeal of PE.

Same as for Jimi and Bob, I would take the Who over the Smiths almost any time... almost !

strange vote, hard to compare those 2 songs

might be my favorite song of the week

Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) vs. Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) : pass, did not like any

The Cure (Push) vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) : some songs selection between those 2 bands would have brought terribly hard vote, here the choice is rather simple, even if Push is quite good.

I'm a bit suprised at the lead that the Beatles' For No One is taking. Oh, it's a cute song, but also kinda sugary. James Brown's Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose on the other hand runs into you like a red hot steamroller. The ultimate in Funk. Nothing cute or fluffy to find here.
Then again, some consider it blasphemy to vote against a Beatles song.

Mindrocker
I'm a bit suprised at the lead that the Beatles' For No One is taking. Oh, it's a cute song, but also kinda sugary. James Brown's Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose on the other hand runs into you like a red hot steamroller. The ultimate in Funk. Nothing cute or fluffy to find here.
Then again, some consider it blasphemy to vote against a Beatles song.

It was a tough call for me. I listened to the Beatles song first and thought it was good, but that it fits better into the context of the Revolver album as a whole rather than being a standout song in its own right. Then I listened to the James Brown song and was mesmerised for the first minute or so and thought, yeah, this is one of the best funk songs I've ever heard. But then it goes on for a bit too long in a slightly repetitive way, and in the end The Beatles got the edge.

BillAdama
Henry, there are a *lot* of songs that absolutely revile you this week. (I'm glad someone's pickier than me!)

Any rating lower than an 11.5, indicates that I don't find the song particularly annoying. So, "revile" might be a little bit strong. A song having a rating greater than 11.6 will likely be skipped after less than a minute of listening.

I never found "for no one " sugary. I think it's a poignant song, maybe my favortite break-up song
and the horn solo is very beautiful

For No One makes quite a different change to the other songs on Revolver, and certainly a change from McCartney's standard fare at the time. It's one of my favourite Beatles songs.

Zorg
For No One makes quite a different change to the other songs on Revolver, and certainly a change from McCartney's standard fare at the time. It's one of my favourite Beatles songs.

Hey, I'm James Brown's manager. I think a bit of psychological warfare is allowed in this game.
But aside that: Seriously, a featherweight song like For No One winning over JB's Monster track? Gimme a break already!

Henry

What do the numbers behind '11' say? Sometimes a higher number wins, sometimes a lower and sometimes nothing behind it.

Mindrocker- "For No One" is actually well loved on the forum. It recently finished 51st in the songs of the 60's poll.
    Gillingham- Under Henry's system, if I understand it correctly, anything over 11 means he totally hates it. 1 would mean he loves it.

Mindrocker
    Zorg
    Hey, I'm James Brown's manager. I think a bit of psychological warfare is allowed in this game.
    But aside that: Seriously, a featherweight song like For No One winning over JB's Monster track? Gimme a break already!
    It is disappointing, but not terribly surprising. You touch upon the very thing that makes me wonder about The Beatles' acclaim in general, since the simple pop diddly For No One is representative of much of their career, but I guess I'm opening another can of beetleworms here which I've been trying to avoid lately.

Can't help myself sometimes though, especially in a case when Revolver filler is going to destroy a JB giant, in a match-up that should in my opinion at least be close.

Listyguy
    Mindrocker- "For No One" is actually well loved on the forum. It recently finished 51st in the songs of the 60's poll.
    Gillingham- Under Henry's system, if I understand it correctly, anything over 11 means he totally hates it. 1 would mean he loves it.

11 is a meh rating, 11.4 is tolerable, a number greater than 11.4, means I don't care for the song. Greater than 11.8 then your getting to a song that I clearly dislike.

Henry
    Listyguy

11 is a meh rating, 11.4 is tolerable, a number greater than 11.4, means I don't care for the song. Greater than 11.8 then your getting to a song that I clearly dislike.

Thanks for the explanation (Listguy as well).

You don't like a lot of these songs, do you?

Gillingham
    Henry
    Listyguy

Thanks for the explanation (Listguy as well).

You don't like a lot of these songs, do you?

I don't expect to listen to the songs by Waits, Brown or Kraftwerk anytime soon.

I was not surprised these or some of the others that I don't find all that great were placed into this competition. I am very interested to find out from others what they find worthwhile in any of the songs I rated poorly. Such descriptions would be the most likely reason for me to listen to any of these songs in the near future.

First votes.

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye): 9
    Kanye West (Slow Jamz): 1

Wow, I need to get some Brian Eno solo albums with a quickness. I thought his solo stuff would be a lot more ambient than this bizarre glamfest. As for "Slow Jamz", I abhorred it back when it was a single in 2003, and I abhor it now. The high-pitched "it'sgonnabeit'sgonnabe-eee-ee wellwellwellweee-eeee-eeelll" sample does my head in.

Jimi Hendrix (Fire): 7
    Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)): 4

"Fire" is a solid track from a very good album, and easily outpaces Bob Marley. Whoever is managing Bob Marley can take credit, though, as "Sun Is Shining" is definitely the best Bob Marley track I've heard.

U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday): 9
    The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go): 7

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" makes my nostrils flare and stands as one of my top 10 U2 songs. "Should I Stay or Should I Go" is great fun, and I enjoy it, although there are a few songs on Combat Rock alone that I prefer to it.

Boards of Canada (Roygbiv): 7
    Beck (Devil’s Haircut): 5

I had never heard any Boards of Canada songs before this, so I had no idea what to expect. It turned out to be quite a good, engaging instrumental from an era with many pitfalls in the genre. Beck, meanwhile, is a funny animal. I generally love him or hate him, but "Devil's Haircut" lands squarely in the middle.

David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes): 10
    Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause): 7

It took me a while to warm to "Ashes to Ashes", but once I did, I really warmed to it. Beautifully strange and strangely beautiful, it is a hugely important song in his canon not to mention one of the standout tracks on my favorite Bowie album. "Rebel Without a Pause" is a blast and I enjoy the tea kettle synth that screams throughout, but it's overmatched here.

Kraftwerk (Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)): 10
    Coldplay (Lovers in Japan): 2

I was really hoping for a "Computer Love"/"Talk" matchup for the apples to dried apples comparison, but this will do. "Pocket Calculator" is my second favorite Kraftwerk song, gloriously dorky, and I've been known to reward it with an exceedingly dorky dance which my mother begged me to perform for my students, but I did not. This artist clash is also funny because I find far more emotive resonance in Kraftwerk's music than in Coldplay's pseudo-deep, pseudo-emotional, pseudo-music. They've got the market cornered on offensively inoffensive music, and hence I only can give it a 2. With lyrical platitudes like "soldiers you've got to soldier on, sometimes even the right is wrong", it's not hard to see why. Few artists bring out my inner musical snob more than Coldplay, as I feel that they are coffee-table, beige music that will seep into the wallpaper of people who aren't really into music at all, and as if to announce this notion of their musical cache, I was prompted to continue to a video for Katy Perry after the Coldplay video ended in a hysterical bout of serendipity.

Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through the Grapevine): 8
    Nirvana (Serve the Servants): 7

I imagine most possible matchups here would see me side with Nirvana, but "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is my favorite Marvin song, with an inescapable groove. The guitar solo in "Serve the Servant" almost brings it on par, but it falls a little short.

New Order (Regret): 9
    Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix): 8

This matchup was one I looked forward to quite a bit. Both artists have a lot of material to mine, and both find themselves in my personal top 15. To that effect, neither of these tracks would make my top 20 for either artist, and they still both get at least an 8. "Regret" is pure magical whimsy, while "Oberkorn" is better than its A-side and showcases Depeche Mode to be masterful purveyors of synth pop, with those raindrop beats and eerie synths.

Kanye West (Slow Jamz) beats Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) - This week starts tough for me, with a choice between two of my top-200 tracks. The humor (and legitimately slinky groove) in "Slow Jamz" wins out today, but I can't say that I'm entirely sure I picked correctly.

Jimi Hendrix (Fire) beats Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) - My Favorite Experience song, and containing furiously delightful work from Mitch Mitchell, "Fire" wins handily. The Marley track is nice, but pales next to Jimi.

U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) beats The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) - Almost swayed upon re-listening to "Should I Stay...," which marries lightness and propulsion very well, but there is more musical depth to the U2 track.

Beck (Devil’s Haircut) beats Boards of Canada (Roygbiv) - "Roygbiv" is a great discovery for me, and I look forward to the rest of Boards of Canada's entries in the tourney. But the sonic delights there do not surpass those of Beck for me.

David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) beats Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) - Another tight one. Rebel Without a Pause is one of my favorite PE tracks, but here the queasy, freak sounds of Bowie grab my ears more.

Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) beats Kraftwerk (Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) - Disappointing matchup between two songs whose surprises were too few and far between. Both felt by the numbers (no pun intended on Pocket Calculator), but I guess I prefer the greater warmth in Coldplay, even if too sugary.

Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through the Grapevine) beats Nirvana (Serve the Servants) - Not close. A fair track from In Utero, but boy does Cobain sound bad after listening to Gaye.

New Order (Regret) beats Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) - Depeche Mode has always been a love it or hate it outfit for me. Some stuff I quite like, a lot I actively dislike. I think I may have now found a track of theirs that I actually am ambivalent about. "Regret" while not a New Order's highest standards, goes over much more smoothly.

more to come...

Moonbeam
    "Oberkorn" is better than its A-side
    Agreed. "The Meaning of Love" is probably the worst single DM has ever made. Martin Gore had found his own writing style on "A Broken Frame" but thought he had to write some songs in the Vince Clarke vein as well, which clearly didn't work out.

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye)-- Normally Kanye would win a matchup between these two, but "Slow Jamz" is a pretty weak track and I normally find Eno boring and lame, but this song wasn't half bad...

Jimi Hendrix (Fire) -- "Sun Is Shining" is like most Marley tracks, really, really good but not great. Jimi has a number of great tracks and "Fire" is one of them...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go -- Two monster tracks from the 80's that I love, this vote could go anyway on any given day. Today it went The Clash's way for me...

Devil's Haircut -- Every year I seem to like Beck less and less, just not on board with the BOC (Not Blue Oyster Cult) track enough to vote over Beck.

Rebel Without A Pause -- I have a tough time voting against Bowie, but "Ashes To Ashes" would rate at a bout a 7 on a scale of (1-10), while the PE track would be at an 8...

Lovers In Japan -- I know most people on this forum have a Coldplay backlash, their popular, kind of bland and have lost any indie cred they had back in '99-2000, that being said I still really like this band and this song. I never liked anything Kraftwerk ever did. I might be alone in this sentiment, but it has to be said...

Serve The Servants -- 2 good songs, not great songs from 2 great artists...

Regret -- 2 bands I absolutely love, I can remember getting the single in at WRST back in my college radio days, running into the studio to debut a new New Order song and falling in love with this song immediately having my 1st listen on the air. I only know of 3 DM songs I would vote for over "Regret" and though I like this rarity, it has no chance of getting my vote...

How Soon Is Now -- If someone not familiar w/The Smiths wanted to know what they are about, I would have them start here. "How Soon Is Now" is perhaps their catchiest and poppiest track. I really do like "Behind Blue Eyes", but it has 2 things going against it in this matchup: 1.) It is going against The Smiths... 2.) I cannot get the Fred Durst remake out of my head!!!

Second half to come later...

Moonbeam
    First votes.

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye): 9
    Kanye West (Slow Jamz): 1

Wow, I need to get some Brian Eno solo albums with a quickness. I thought his solo stuff would be a lot more ambient than this bizarre glamfest. As for "Slow Jamz", I abhorred it back when it was a single in 2003, and I abhor it now. The high-pitched "it'sgonnabeit'sgonnabe-eee-ee wellwellwellweee-eeee-eeelll" sample does my head in.

Start with Here Come the Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain, which are very similar to what he was doing in the first two Roxy Music albums and are two of my favorite albums.

Another Green World and Before and After Science have more ambient-type songs on them, but both still have pop gems.

I second the recommendation for Here Come The Warm Jets, but my second favorite Eno is My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

Kraftwerk ( Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator))
    Nirvana (Serve the Servants)
    Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)*
    Replacements (Bastards of Young)
    The Beatles (For No One)
    Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels))

Thanks!

THE 2ND HALF...

Beach Boys - I Get Around -- Great Floyd album and "Shine On Crazy Diamond" adds to the overall experience wrapping around 3 great singles. On it's own, not as appealing...

Arctic Monkeys - Mardy Bum -- Tough Choice...

Replacements -- Bastards Of Young -- I have tried to like Tom Waits, I went in to this with an open mind and seriously listened to "Downtown Train" again. Hated it, I guess I will never be a fan of anything Tom Waits. Did not matter though, it was going up against one of my favorite 'Mats songs and had no chance, even if I did surprise myself and enjoy it...

Prince - Let's Go Crazy -- 2nd easiest vote of the day...

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss -- Not my favorite PJ song, but enough to win my vote...

Beatles - For No One -- I am always surprised when I vote for The Beatles in anything, but this is a slightly better song...

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) -- I am always shocked when I vote against The Cure, a great deep track from one of my favorite albums. There is about 6 or 7 matchups I would have taken "Push" in, this was not one of them...

First half votes

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) - Like Moonbeam, I need to explore Eno's catalog more. Slow Jamz is not one of my favorite Kanye tracks.
    Jimi Hendrix (Fire) - Two artists I really like, but Fire burns a little brighter in this case.

U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) - A good matchup, but U2's bombast puts them over the top in this particular case.

Beck (Devil’s Haircut) - A Beck standout against something I could take or leave.

Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) - A cool Bowie track, but Public Enemy are close winners.

Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) - I imagine Kraftwerk's music is what the machines will dance to once they take over the world, but for now, and because I'm human, I'll take Coldplay. Although I'm not a huge fan of their song, either.

Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through the Grapevine) - I have to vote against my own team here; Gaye's track is just too good. But Nirvana was just warming up.

New Order (Regret) - My favorite New Order song against a long instrumental that works best as mildly pleasant background noise.

Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Through the Grapevine) vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants)
    New Order (Regret) vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) - already voted for in earlier post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Cure (Push) vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) - not one of my favorite Cure songs, but it's from one of my all-time favorite albums so this vote hurts (and it was close)

Second half votes
    The Smiths (How Soon is Now) - The Who would win about 90% of matchups against the Smiths, but this is not one of them.

The Beach Boys (I Get Around) vs. Pink Floyd - Never one of my favorite Floyd tracks, but then again, Floyd's not one of my favorite bands.

Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) - I like the Arctic Monkeys song, but it's up against some powerhouse soul.

Replacements (Bastards of Young) - One of my favorite Waits songs, but it's up against Bastards of the Young.

Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) - Nice Franklin track, Prince came out with his guns, or in this case guitar, blazing.

Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) - I like the catchier, poppier Steely Dan. Eddie Vedder's vocals have some real emotional impact on this one.

The Beatles (For No One) - I could have gone either way, but some of the above discussion about this matchup irked me a little so I went with the Beatles. The Brown track would have been better if it ended two minutes earlier.

Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) - No contest.

Are You Experienced? is pretty much wall-to-wall excellent and "Fire" is no exception. On the other hand I feel like Bob Marley is an artist who has two settings: 9.5/10 and 6.5/10. "Sun Is Shining" is one of the best of the latter category, but not quite good enough.

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" is a popular song, but nowhere near their finest work, whereas I don't think U2 ever topped the heights of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (perhaps on "One", but it's close).

PE are legendary, but "Rebel Without a Pause" can't stand next to one of Bowie's best tracks.

This is close. I love the Smiths but I respect "How Soon Is Now?" more than I enjoy it, whereas "Behind Blue Eyes" is a great song but not their greatest song. An 8/10 beats a 7.5/10.

It's been a while since I've heard "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", but I'm certain it has nothing on the sheer fun of "I Get Around".

I never really "got" Rain Dogs (though I like a few Waits tracks), but it's clear "Downtown Train" is the album's standout. "Bastards of Young" thumps it anyway.

I don't expect to win this matchup. I do think that "Let's Go Crazy" is Prince's weakest single from his classic period, so I'm glad I don't have to vote against myself.

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) 7.5 vs. Kanye West (Slow Jamz) 6.5
    Jimi Hendrix (Fire) 8 vs. Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) 8.5
    U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) 10 vs. The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) 8
    Beck (Devil’s Haircut) 8.5 vs. Boards of Canada (Roygbiv) 8.5 : no winner
    David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) 9 vs. Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) 7
    Kraftwerk ( Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) 7.5 vs. Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) 6
    Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) 10 vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants) 7
    New Order (Regret) 8 vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) 7.5
    The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) 7.5 vs. The Smiths (How Soon is Now) 9.5
    The Beach Boys (I Get Around) 8.5 vs. Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) 7.5
    Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) 8.5 vs. Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) 7.5
    Tom Waits (Downtown Train) 9 vs. Replacements (Bastards of Young) 7.5
    Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) 8 vs. Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) 7.5
    Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) 7 vs. Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) 7 : no winner
    The Beatles (For No One) 8 vs. James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)) 7
    The Cure (Push) 7.5 vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) 8

This week's highlights for me: Marvin Gaye, U2 and The Smiths
    Less amusing: Coldplay and Kanye West

Rocky Raccoon
    The Beatles (For No One) - I could have gone either way, but some of the above discussion about this matchup irked me a little so I went with the Beatles. The Brown track would have been better if it ended two minutes earlier.
    Damn! Looks like that psychological warfare backfired. Anyway, just letting everyone know there are currently 7 (almost half) matchups separated by two votes or less. There is still a lot of time to vote, so don't feel rushed. Just letting you all know, any vote could win it this week.

Needles in the Camel's Eye over Slow Jamz

I led off with my favorite Eno track and one of my favorite songs ever; this wasn't really a decision. There are few, if any songs that make me happier.

Fire over Sun is Shining

It's probably well known on the forum at this point that I hate Marley. Fire is a solid track, but I really can't envision a scenario in which I'd vote for Marley.

Sunday Bloody Sunday over Should I Stay or Should I Go

This is one of the few matchups between these two bands in which I'd favor U2, but this is their best song against one of the Clash's weakest. Not even close.

Roygbiv over Devil's Haircut

Roygbiv is one of the best instrumental electronic songs of all time. So simple, yet the hook is so genius that it never gets old. Devil's Haircut is a good album-opener, but I never listen to it outside of Odelay.

Rebel Without a Pause over Ashes to Ashes

I knew PE would be facing an uphill battle in this group, and this matchup certainly isn't doing them any favors. "Ashes to Ashes" is fantastic and would beat most songs this week, but it runs up against not only my favorite PE song, but my favorite rap song. Rebel Without a Pause is insanely fun to sing along with and sounds exciting and revolutionary.

Lovers in Japan over Pocket Calculator

Both solid first listens. I didn't expect to be choosing Coldplay over Kraftwerk, but "Lovers in Japan" surprised me with its shoegazy sound.

I Heard It Through the Grapevine over Serve the Servants

This Nirvana track has never stood out to me. Blowout.

Pass on New Order vs. Depeche Mode.

How Soon is Now? over Behind Blue Eyes

Never liked this Who song. How Soon is Now? has slipped a bit on my list, but I still love the lyrics and guitar sounds on this track.

I Get Around over Shine on You Crazy Diamond

Most early Beach Boys tracks would get voted against by me, but "I Get Around" is the best of their surf-style songs.

Pain in My Heart over Mardy Bum

Don't feel particularly passionate about either of these songs.

Downtown Train over Bastards of Young

Both songs are slightly overrated within their respective artists' canons, but "Downtown Train" is probably the best traditional song on Rain Dogs.

Let's Go Crazy over Until You Come Back to Me

Most Aretha songs are take-it-or-leave stuff to me. Let's Go Crazy is really dated but still fun to listen to.

Don't Take Me Alive over Last Kiss

Didn't care for either. Nice guitar solo at the beginning elevates the Steely Dan song here.

For No One over Give It Up or Turnit A Loose

Hardest decision of the week. At first I thought this James Brown remix was better than the original, but it ran on a bit too long. For No One is possibly the best song McCartney ever wrote IMO.

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) over Push

One of AF's best beats a good, if slightly anonymous Cure song.

The Smiths (How Soon is Now) beats The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) - "Behind Blue Eyes" is a prime example of how Daltry ruined the Who in the 70s. I really dislike his vocal here. But Townshend should not be left off the hook either. There was a lightness and deftness to his songwriting in the 60s, that became largely lost. Here's a plea to Henry to pick some of their early work for the tourney. As for "How Soon Is Now?", perhaps it is cliche for a non-Smiths fan like me to say "well, this is a Smiths song I actually like." (I also like "Bigmouth Strikes Again" a lot, but you get the picture.)

The Beach Boys (I Get Around) beats Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) - I'm not a huge fan of the Beach Boys, but the harmonies on the breakdown "section of "I Get Around" are undeniable, and better than anything in "Shine On." I expected to vote for Floyd going in, with some lingering affection for the Wish You Were Here album. But it is waning quickly.

Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) beats Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) - Nice song from Arctic Monkeys, and I am a bit worried this will be a squeaker. But this early single from Redding is bracing. His expressive delivery is all there, with effortless control. His plaintive cries for his lover to "Come back!! Come back! Come back, baby" are an embodiment of pure, beautiful soul music.

Replacements (Bastards of Young) beats Tom Waits (Downtown Train) - "Downtown Train" is one of the few Waits songs where I feel that the vocal delivery is quite good, but the songwriting and arrangement lets things down (usually, it's the opposite). No reservations on "Bastards of Young," where Westerberg's delivery is good

Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) beats Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) - Solid number by Aretha, doing what she alone can do so easily. But "Let's Go Crazy" is an absolute monster... my favorite Prince song, lead-off to a top-5 album. It never grows old... it's an utterly enervating delight every time I hear it.

Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) beats Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) - The weak falsetto from Vedder toward the end of this number is emblemtic of the problems I have with PJ. They can be, at times, a very solid mainstream rock band. Vedder's voice is unique... but he relies on that unique quality far too often. His vocals often sound thrown away... without much effort to maintain control, or without thought as to how to phrase. The effect, here, is to make a potentially affecting song sound throw away. Regardless, I really like this Steely Dan song. Such a great chorus, I don't mind that it is repeated so often.

James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)) beats The Beatles (For No One) - I categorically reject mindrocker's "featherweight" assessment of "For No One." It is a twenty year-plus favorite of mine, and placed in my top-200 last poll. Hell, I used to ridiculously claim that Alan Civil was my favorite horn player of all time simply because of that beautiful line in the middle and because I loved the song so much. But James Brown just took all of my sentimental attachments and crushed them under the weight of his awesome might.

Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) beats The Cure (Push) - Push has a surprisingly propulsive instrumental arrangement, and I really liked the long lead in to the vocals. But Robert Smith's vocals don't catch me unless the melody is really catchy. That is not a problem that I have with Win Butler.

Schwah
    I categorically reject mindrocker's "featherweight" assessment of "For No One."

Wow, didn't expect that my remarks were taken so seriously. As manager of someone like James Brown you have to be a bit of a loudmouth, don't you?
    Of course I don't have anything against this song. Revolver is in my top 100 as well and For No One is a fine piece of music (although certainly not McCartney's best).

Mindrocker, joking with the beatles is kinda dangerous in this forum

There are even Beatles fanatics who come here every now and then, and they are worse than Talibans !

Mindrocker
    Schwah
    I categorically reject mindrocker's "featherweight" assessment of "For No One."

Wow, didn't expect that my remarks were taken so seriously. As manager of someone like James Brown you have to be a bit of a loudmouth, don't you?
    Of course I don't have anything against this song. Revolver is in my top 100 as well and For No One is a fine piece of music (although certainly not McCartney's best).

Hope I didn't come off as strident, mindrocker. I get and appreciate what you were doing, and was trying to play along rhetorically. Motstly, I was just trying to build up my own love for "For No One" to highlight what an excellent pick you made with the "Give It Up..." remix. You were like a canny soccer manager picking a team to counter a more highly rated team's style. It worked for me because that groove workout was Brown (and the JBs) at their finest.

There are a lot of crappy matches this week. And it seems like all the good songs are up against each other!
    Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) vs. Kanye West (Slow Jamz) What the hell is Twista saying?
    Jimi Hendrix (Fire) vs. Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) Move over Rover, and let Jimi take over!
    U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) vs. The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) This matchup proves my point from above. Both songs are my favorite by their respected artist.
    Beck (Devil’s Haircut) vs. Boards of Canada (Roygbiv) This may be the best songs from my birth year, although that isn't really saying much.
    David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) vs. Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) A sub-par Bowie song, but it still destroys Public Enemy.
    Kraftwerk ( Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) vs. Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) I never thought I would vote for Coldplay. Ever. When I saw there was a Coldplay team, I laughed. Unfortunately, the Kraftwerk song makes me want to pull my hair out, so I'm left with no choice.
    Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants) One of the many great tracks on "In Utero"
    New Order (Regret) vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) Great song.
    The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) vs. The Smiths (How Soon is Now) As I mentioned, there are only a few goods songs this week, and they're in the same matchups. I love both these songs, but I can only vote for one. Meanwhile, I had to vote for "Lovers in Japan", "Ashes To Ashes", and "Needle in the Camel's Eye".
    The Beach Boys (I Get Around) vs. Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) Aside from the fact the the Floyd song is close to a half hour long, teh Beach Boy's song is extremely catchy.
    Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) vs. Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) Neither is bad, but neither does much for me. I go with Otis' soul, though.
    Tom Waits (Downtown Train) vs. Replacements (Bastards of Young) This is by far my favorite Waits song (considering I've only heard about 10). Such a great guitar part.
    Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) vs. Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) I was looking forward to voting for "Rave Un2 the Joy Fanastic" . Oh well.
    Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) vs. Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) I was unfamiliar with both of these songs, being that I'm not a huge Steely Dan fan and the Pearl Jam song was a single that later appeared on a compliation. anyway, at first, I was going to vote for the Steely Dan song, but the Pearl Jam song grew on me.
    The Beatles (For No One) vs. James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)) One of my favorite songs of "Revolver".
    The Cure (Push) vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) Both bands are extremely dreary, but the Cure sound dreary in a vivid, upbeat way.

Listyguy
    I was looking forward to voting for "Rave Un2 the Joy Fanastic" . Oh well.

The blistering live version could make an appearance.

Kanye West-Slow Jamz
    Bob Marley-Sun Is Shining
    U2-Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Beck-Devil's Haircut
    Public Enemy-Rebel Without A Pause
    Kraftwerk-Taschenrechner
    Marvin Gaye-I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Depeche Mode-Oberkorn (It's A Small Town)
    Smiths-How Soon Is Now
    Beach Boys-I Get Around
    Otis Redding-Pain In My Heart
    Replacements-Bastards Of Young
    Prince-Let's Go Crazy
    Steely Dan-Don't Take Me Alive
    James Brown-Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)
    The Arcade Fire-Neighborhood # 1 (Tunnels)

Let's Go Crazy +++ beats Until You Come Back To Me +
    Don't Take Me Alive = beats Last Kiss --
    For No One ++ beats Give it Up Or Turnit A Loose =
    Neighborhood #1 ++ beats Push +

Deadline is the 17th yes?

Lest I forget, again. For now:

Not sure about the others, yet...

Some more votes:

The Smiths (How Soon is Now): 10
    The Who (Behind Blue Eyes): 2

A blowout of epic proportions. "How Soon Is Now?" was the first Smiths song I knew, and I still love it as much as when I first heard it. As usual, I don't like The Who.

Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond): 5
    The Beach Boys (I Get Around): 4

In a rather shocking development, I didn't hate the Pink Floyd track. In fact, some parts I liked, such as the screaming Moogs. The vocals are mercifully kept to a minimum and the song is surprisingly accessible, although it does feel like a bit of a mess. Its division into 2 parts seems to testify to that fact. My estimation of The Beach Boys has grown with time, but I still am not fond of their early stuff.

Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart): 7
    Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum): 7

"Pain in My Heart" is a good Otis Redding song, but not one of my favorites. His vocals are sublime, as usual. I liked the Arctic Monkeys track a lot more than I thought I would, but it still loses to Otis, although only just.

Tom Waits (Downtown Train): 9
    Replacements (Bastards of Young): 6

Tom Waits' preeminent pop song makes for a great listen every time. I expected more out of the Replacements track.

Prince (Let’s Go Crazy): 10
    Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me): 5

"Let's Go Crazy" is an easy choice as it is my pick, but it still ranks among my top 50 songs ever. "Until You Come Back to Me" drifted by without leaving much of an impact one way or another.

Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive): 5
    Pearl Jam (Last Kiss): 2

Steely Dan on autopilot beats an irritating Pearl Jam track. Pearl Jam was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy the 90s as a whole, although I have come to appreciate them a little over time. "Last Kiss" reminds me why I remained a musical hermit in the 90s, though.

Zorg
    Deadline is the 17th yes?
    Yes.

Kanye West (Slow Jamz)
    Jimi Hendrix (Fire)
    Beck (Devil’s Haircut)
    Coldplay (Lovers in Japan)
    Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine)
    New Order (Regret)
    The Beach Boys (I Get Around)
    Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum)
    Tom Waits (Downtown Train)
    Prince (Let’s Go Crazy)
    Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive)
    The Beatles (For No One)

Slow Jamz (magnificent song)
    pass
    pass
    Devil's Haircut
    Rebel Without A Pause
    Taschenrechner
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    pass
    How Soon Is Now
    I Get Around
    pass
    pass
    Let's Go Crazy
    pass
    For No One
    Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)

God forbid Kraftwerk lose to Coldplay...

James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)): 8
    The Beatles (For No One): 3

Mindrocker is right. James Brown's furious funk bitchslaps The Beatles' limp anthemizing around the block.

The Cure (Push): 10
    Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)): 10

What a powerhouse matchup! "Push" is an unheralded highlight of an excellent album, and "Tunnels" is a heralded highlight of an album almost as good. My affection for The Cure gives "Push" a slight edge.

That Eno track is a borderline great one but "Slow Jamz" is a Kanye classic.

"Roygbiv" feels to me like an incomplete experiment. I'm going with "Devil's Haircut", which is for me the highlight of Odelay.

An average In Utero track against an all-time great Motown single? Please.

The Dan are far too pretentious to be enjoyed, with few exceptions. A middling Pearl Jam single is enough.

I'd expected to go with the Beatles, since "For No One" is, after all, the second-best McCartney ballad on Revolver/ever. ("Eleanor Rigby" is first.) But that JB track made me reconsider not only my vote but my opinion of JB in general, whom I have in the past found grossly overrated and more influential than great.

The Cure song is a great discovery, but I don't know if it will ever touch "Tunnels", a most elegant album opener.

Kanye West (Slow Jamz)
    Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version))
    Beck (Devil’s Haircut)
    Coldplay (Lovers in Japan)
    Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine)
    New Order (Regret)
    Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)
    Tom Waits (Downtown Train)
    Prince (Let’s Go Crazy)
    Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive)
    James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix))

Wow, this weeks the voting is much tougher than in the last. Let's go with the first half:

Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) vs. Kanye West (Slow Jamz) - Eno's song looked better in the first audition than in the other ones. Have you already heard that band Surfer Blood? Pitt's vocal looks exactly like Eno in this song. Well, for Kanye I can say the opposite, it's a really great song, full of substance.

Jimi Hendrix (Fire) vs. Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) - Delicious groovy track from Hendrix, with those '60s backing vocals completing the work. Bob's lazy song, although interesting, totally fades in comparison to it.

U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) vs. The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) - Strange for me to give the win for The Clash against one of my favorite bands, but Should I Stay Or Should I Go, even if falling a bit in quality during the chorus, is one of Clash's best, with a guitar line all over it that is here to stay. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a good visual track, if anyone understand what I mean, but U2 has many better tracks.

Beck (Devil’s Haircut) vs. Boards of Canada (Roygbiv) - Odelay is always margining my all time top 10 albums, and although this is not one of my faves, it's more memorable than the catchy BOC song. Also, the second half brings up some awesome moments (preparing the listener to the peak that's coming in the next two tracks, although this has no relevance in this match).

David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) vs. Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) - I remember I hated Ashes to Ashes back in 09 when voting in the '80s poll (I had at my bottom 10 or 20, and it was one of my (worst) surprises when it appeared at the top ten on the results), well, even if I haven't listened to it anymore since then, this week I unexpectedly enjoyed this piece, with all its exquisite sounds and well constructed melodies; nothing to top Bowie's few really great tracks, though.

Kraftwerk (Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) vs. Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) - When I chose Coldplay to manage here I already imagined the hatred would bubble everywhere, but no mattter. Well, it's a pity I lost the deadline for changing the songs, cause I was planing to put here my favorite Everything's Not Lost, which I don't if will be possible to appear in the next matches. Anyway, Lovers In Japan is one of the highlights of Viva La Vida, for me their best album. I don't know if it happens with most part of the other songs, but I couldn't find a single video on youtube where the song looks as pleasing as in the mp3 I have. That said, I consider it one of the most unique and shinning tracks of Coldplay's controversial carreer.

Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) vs. Nirvana (Serve the Servants) - Serve the Servants is easily one of the best tracks of this round, and one of Nirvana's best. Pure bliss! Marvin Gaye and his hugely acclaimed songs are all totally overrated to me.

New Order (Regret)[b/] vs. Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) - I used to think this was the Shinny Happy People of New Order, i.e., a well known song that critics and fans generally disliked. Well, good to discover it's not the case for this nice track. I always like when it comes to that hook right before the chorus.

Voting is over for the week. I will post results and standings later on.

The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) vs. The Smiths (How Soon is Now) - Smiths epic is over ahead this average Who song.

The Beach Boys (I Get Around) vs. Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)* - One of the artist with the best potential to play this kind of game, Beach Boys already begin with all their force to knock out Pink Floyd's strong but out of place player. Maybe if part IV was here on it's own it could have a chance.

Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) vs. Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) - Great that someone brought the Arctic Monkeys to the cup. Mardy Bum is the most likeable song of their debut at a first listening. I showed it to a friend back in 2006, and two weeks later he said he was adicted to the whole disc. In AM it may have the inverse impact, making it look like the band's sound is too catchy or poppy for an indie forum, but, no way, their first album is worth all the critical and public status it got.

Tom Waits (Downtown Train) vs. Replacements (Bastards of Young) - A quite accessible song for such an excentric artist, and one of the flagships of the awesome Rain Dogs album. Nothing interesting about Bastards of Young that could beat that.

Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) vs. Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) - I didn't know this Aretha track. Man, it sounds good! Pitiful it went against one of my favorite Prince tracks. Let's Go Crazy is a tour-de-force, with it's hard rocking guitars, uplifting synths, not to mention the apocaliptic intro and the unforgettable riff at the end.

Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) vs. Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) - Maybe the weakest match of the round, but Steely's piece overtakes the annoying Last Kiss.

The Beatles (For No One) vs. James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)) - Well, The Beatles are my all time #2 artist, and For No One easily figures among my least favorite tracks out of there post-Help period. Anyway, James song is so damn funky that it makes it easy to vote against the fabs.

The Cure (Push) vs. Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) - Many of my favorite artists competing this week, and given all my dislike for The Cure, it's easy to vote here for one of Arcade Fire's best. Neighboorhood #1 is maybe the track that best defines Funeral, mixing the poignant, the dramatic, the dancing and the grandious sounds that mold the album as a whole.

Here are the results for the week:
    Kanye West (Slow Jamz) def Brian Eno (Needles in the Camel’s Eye) 13-8
    The matchup was close for much of the week, but Kanye pulled away near the end. Kanye has his next match next week, rapping off with the Beastie Boys. Eno has to wait until Week 4 to try for a win against Vampire Weekend.
    Jimi Hendrix (Fire) def Bob Marley (Sun is Shining (1971 Version)) 14-7
    Jimi’s fire burned brighter than Bob Marley’s shining sun in the opening matchup for both. Both will next play during Week 4, Jimi will be facing Van Morrison, and Bob Marley will face off with Radiohead.
    U2 (Sunday Bloody Sunday) def The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go) 19-1
    In the week’s biggest blowout, the Clash only managed one goal (Slick!) against U2. So far, only Bruce Springsteen’s week 1 sweep was a bigger blowout. U2 will face James Brown next week. The Clash get to face the Beatles next week as well.
    Beck (Devil’s Haircut) def Boards of Canada (Roygbiv) 14-7
    For the first half of the week, this matchup looked like it could go either way. And then team Beck kicked it into gear, and went on a tear. Beck has a bye this week, and will then face team Pearl Jam. Likewise, BoC will face Steely Dan Week 4.
    David Bowie (Ashes to Ashes) def Public Enemy (Rebel Without a Pause) 17-6
    In another blowout, David Bowie takes down Public Enemy with ease. Bowie faces Stevie Wonder Week 3, which is also the week Public Enemy will have a showdown with the VU.
    Kraftwerk (Taschenrechner (Pocket Calculator)) ties Coldplay (Lovers in Japan) 11-11
    In this week’s thriller, Kraftwerk had sa one goal lead on Coldplay going into the final hours. But Toni’s vote with less than two hours left to vote gave Coldplay the tie. Both will next play during week 4. Coldplay will be up against New Order, and Kraftwerk will be up against the Depeche Mode.
    Marvin Gaye (I Heard It Throught the Grapevine) def Nirvana (Serve the Servants) 18-4
    In yet another blowout, Marvin Gaye powers past Nirvana. And it doesn’t get much better for Cobain’s team, who face off will Bob Dylan Week 3. Marvin Gaye has the week off, and then will face the Doors.
    New Order (Regret) def Depeche Mode (Oberkorn (It's a Small Town) - Development Mix) 16-2
    And so Henrik’s teams go 0-2 in their opening matches, as the Depeche Mode is slammed by New Order. Both teams have their next match week 4, with New Order facing Coldplay, and Depeche Mode facing Kraftwerk.
    The Smiths (How Soon is Now) def The Who (Behind Blue Eyes) 17-5
    Morrissey’s team took the early lead on Daltry’s boys and never looked back. Both will play in Week 3, The Smiths against the Boss (who hasn’t allowed a goal) and the Who against Talking Heads (who haven’t scored a goal).
    The Beach Boys (I Get Around) def Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) 15-8
    Despite getting Moonbeam(Moonbeam!)’s vote, Floyd comes up short against the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys have a bye Week 3, and then have a battle of harmonies with the Byrds. Floyd will face Led Zeppelin week 3.
    Otis Redding (Pain in My Heart) def Arctic Monkeys (Mardy Bum) 13-7
    The master of soul took an early lead and ran with it. Redding will face Queen week 3, and the Monkeys will face Chuck Berry week 4.
    Tom Waits (Downtown Train) def Replacements (Bastards of Young) 13-9
    In a match that was close for most of the week, team Waits pulled away at the end with some late support. Waits will have to wait until week 4 to play again, when going up against the Nine Inch Nails. The Replacements have their next match week 3 against Blur.
    Prince (Let’s Go Crazy) def Aretha Franklin (Until You Come Back to Me) 18-3
    In another blowout, Prince defeats Aretha Franklin craftily. Prince will face Elvis (Costello) week 4, and Aretha will face Elvis (Presley) week 3.
    Steely Dan (Don’t Take Me Alive) def Pearl Jam (Last Kiss) 12-5
    In what many considered a week matchup (four different voters passed on this one), Steely Dan wins with ease. Steely Dan will face the Boards of Canada next, and Pearl Jam will face Beck. Both matches will be during week 4.
    The Beatles (For No One) def James Brown (Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (In The Jungle Groove Remix)) 13-10
    And so, not even the Beatles can stop the Godfather of Soul from keeping this matchup respectably close, helped in part by some late-week votes. The Fab Four will face The Clash week 3, which is the same week JB will face U2.
    Arcade Fire (Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)) def The Cure (Push) 18-4
    And so Arcade Fire gives us one of the largest blowouts of the week. They will now get to destroy my Sly team during week 3, while the Cure may cause Moonbeam to commit suicide when they face Eurythmics Week 4.

I decided to let the second half on Toni's vote count, because he got it in before 12:00. I will post standings later.

Standings

Here are the Standings:
    Pool A.1 Record (W-L-T) GD GS
    U2 1-0-0 18 19
    The Beatles 1-0-0 3 13
    James Brown 0-1-0 -3 10
    The Clash 0-1-0 -18 1

Pool A.2
    The Rolling Stones 1-0-0 10 17
    R.E.M. 1-0-0 7 15
    Neil Young 0-1-0 -7 8
    The Kinks 0-1-0 -10 7

Pool A.3
    Marvin Gaye 1-0-0 14 18
    Bob Dylan 1-0-0 11 17
    The Doors 0-1-0 -11 6
    Nirvana 0-1-0 -14 4

Pool A.4
    David Bowie 1-0-0 11 17
    Stevie Wonder 1-0-0 6 15
    Velvet Underground 0-1-0 -6 9
    Public Enemy 0-1-0 -11 6

Pool A.5
    Beach Boys 1-0-0 7 15
    The Byrds 1-0-0 3 13
    Led Zeppelin 0-1-0 -3 10
    Pink Floyd 1-0-0 -7 8

Pool A.6
    Jimi Hendrix 1-0-0 7 14
    Radiohead 1-0-0 4 13
    Van Morrison 0-1-0 -4 9
    Bob Marley 0-1-0 -7 7

Pool A.7
    Elvis Costello 1-0-0 15 18
    Prince 1-0-0 15 18
    Aretha Franklin 0-1-0 -15 3
    Elvis Presley 0-1-0 -15 3

Pool A.8
    Bruce Springsteen 1-0-0 23 23
    The Smiths 1-0-0 12 17
    The Who 0-1-0 -12 5
    Talking Heads 0-1-0 -23 0

Pool B.1
    Fela Kuti 1-0-0 7 15
    Wilco 1-0-0 6 13
    LCD Soundsystem 0-1-0 -6 7
    Michael Jackson 0-1-0 -7 8

Pool B.2
    Kanye West 1-0-0 5 13
    Beatie Boys 1-0-0 1 11
    Vampire Weekend 0-1-0 -1 10
    Brian Eno 0-1-0 -5 8

Pool B.3
    Johnny Cash 1-0-0 10 15
    Black Sabbath 1-0-0 5 14
    Jay-Z 0-1-0 -5 9
    Soiuxsie and the Banshees 0-1-0 -10 5

Pool B.4
    Beck 1-0-0 7 14
    Steely Dan 1-0-0 7 12
    Pearl Jam 0-1-0 -7 7
    Boards of Canada 0-1-0 -7 5

Pool B.5
    Arcade Fire 1-0-0 14 18
    Eurythmics 1-0-0 2 12
    Sly and the Family Stone 0-1-0 -2 10
    The Cure 0-1-0 -14 4

Pool B.6
    Otis Redding 1-0-0 6 13
    Queen 1-0-0 4 13
    Chuck Berry 0-1-0 -4 9
    Acrtic Monkeys 0-1-0 -6 7

Pool B.7
    Blur 1-0-0 9 16
    Tom Waits 1-0-0 4 13
    Replacements 0-1-0 -4 9
    Nine Inch Nails 0-1-0 -9 7

Pool B.8
    New Order 1-0-0 14 16
    Kraftwerk 0-0-1 0 11
    Coldplay 0-0-1 0 11
    Depeche Mode 0-1-0 -14 2

11 persons prefer that Coldplay song to Kraftwerk's masterpiece? It's a strange world.

As for the teams I managed, I am a little disappointed that Marley didn't gather more votes, but for my "alternative sides of Depeche Mode" team I'm happy for every positive comment and there were a few of those.

Re: Standings

About your standings, Listyguy, shouldn't you also show points (3 for each win, 1 for each tie). That's the primary sorting parameter, isn't it?

Also, I'm more used to see the results presented in the order W-T-L. Sorry for being nit-picky.

Henrik
    About your standings, Listyguy, shouldn't you also show points (3 for each win, 1 for each tie). That's the primary sorting parameter, isn't it?

Also, I'm more used to see the results presented in the order W-T-L. Sorry for being nit-picky.

Sorry, I forogt to include points. I will in the updated standings in two weeks.

Thanks Listyguy! I really think you're doing a great job with this comprehensive poll.

Wow, my Coldplay song got such a harsh place here that in the end I'm considering the tie a great victory! Like Mindrocker I had lost the deadline to replacing the songs, and so couldn't shift it with the track I was wishing to play with. Adding that screw up to the fact that the song in the youtube video (and in all the others I found) was far from as good as in the Viva La Vida album, all gets together to make the result a very satisfactory one in my view.

And again my team participated of the thriller match of the week (I can't forget that BBoys surprising win against VW'S Boston in the last vote)! Oh, come on, boys, give me a break! Make it easier to my R.E.M song this week...

Standings A Groups

A1
    ArtistMatchesWinDrawLosePointsForAgainst
    U211003191
    The Beatles110031310
    James Brown100101013
    The Clash10010119

A2
    ArtistMatchesWinDrawLosePointsForAgainst
    The Rolling Stones11003177
    R.E.M.11003158
    Neil Young10010815