Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AMF World Cup: 3rd Team Lottery Draft

As I expected, there were not enough managers fr the 64 teams of the cup. So, we are going to have a "Lottery Draft".
Before I explain what that is, I would like to remind Jackson has lists are due by tomorrow. Everyone else has submitted their lists.
Here's how the lottery draft will work:
-Anyone who wants to manage a third team (we need 17 of you!) can post a list of their "prefered artists" here. The list should be ranked and include one artist from outside the top 32 and as many from inside the top 32 as you want. Please submit your list by before June 23 (so before the end of June 22 going by forum standards.)
After this, I will use random.org to create and "order" of possible managers.
Once I know who gets what teams, I will be able to post the list of pools and the schedule for the pool round. I'll give you a week to sumbit these lists as well. Please post your prefered artist lists here but post all lists of songs in the other draft thread. Feel free to ask me any questions.

These artists from the top 32 still need managers: The Clash, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, the Doors, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Elvis Presley, Elvis Costello.

Re: AMF World Cup: 3rd Team Lottery Draft

My list:
1- Sly and the Family Stone
2- The Doors
3- Stevie Wonder
4- Elvis Presley
5- Pink Floyd

1 Black Sabbath
2 The Clash
3 Elvis Costello
4 Elvis Presley
5 The Doors
6 Pink Floyd

Thanks!

1. The Clash
2. Oasis
3. Pink Floyd
4. The Doors
5. Stevie Wonder

The cup needs an exotic outsider, so here is #1 and #3 of my underrated albums:

1. The Triffids

And from the top 32:

2. Elvis Costello
3. The Clash
4. The Doors
5. Stevie Wonder

1) Stevie Wonder
2) Todd Rundgren (if allowed with less than 4 albums and 4 singles in AM)
3) Pink Floyd
4) The Band
5) Marvin Gaye
6) Style Council (if allowed with less than 4 albums and 4 singles in AM)
7) The Doors

1. Jay-Z
2. Marvin Gaye
3. The Clash
4. Elvis Costello
5. Van Morrison

I'll put myself in for all of the remaining top 32. Not a fan of all of them... but I'm an attorney so I know how to advocate for less popular clients!

1. Beck
2. Stevie Wonder
3. James Brown
4. Marvin Gaye
5. Elvis Presley
6. The Clash
7. Pink Floyd
8. Elvis Costello
9. Van Morrison
10. The Doors

Schwah
I'll put myself in for all of the remaining top 32. Not a fan of all of them... but I'm an attorney so I know how to advocate for less popular clients!

What sort of practice do you have Schwah? I am in house as an IP (patent) attorney.

Employment litigation and counseling, at a law firm.

Patent law I know nothing about. Us lawyers are always about arcane, fine distinctions, but it always struck me that patent law involves that to the Nth degree.

Now I've got to get back to those in limine briefs I've been avoiding.

Outside the top 32...

1.) Muse
2.) Metallica
3.) A Tribe Called Quest
4.) The Killers

Inside the top 32...

1.) The Clash
2.) Stevie Wonder

Outsiders:

1. Siouxsie and the Banshees
2. Björk
3. Kylie Minogue
4. Annie
5. The Sound
6. Janet Jackson
7. Madonna
8. Blondie

Insiders:

1. Stevie Wonder
2. The Doors

Listyguy
These artists from the top 32 still need managers: The Clash, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, the Doors, Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Elvis Presley, Elvis Costello.

Ah well, I take James Brown. Never noticed much love for Soul Brother No.1 on this forum and I guess he won't get far in the game, but he is after all my favorite artist so it's fair that JB is my pick.
I understand that you have to choose one act from the top 32 and one outside. However, as a second choice I'm willing to take another artist that's leftover (if that is not against the rules). My pick would be Elvis Presley or Van Morrison, depends on what you guys prefer.

Teams:

JAMES BROWN
01. Get On The Good Foot
02. There Was A Time
03. It's A Man's Man's Man's World
04. Hot Pants
05. Lost Someone
06. Superbad
07. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
08. Sex Machine

ELVIS PRESLEY
01. Hound Dog
02. Devil In Disguise
03. My Baby left Me
04. Trouble
05. Jailhouse Rock
06. Mystery Train
07. Suspicious Minds
08. Heartbreak Hotel

VAN MORRISON
01. Bright Side Of The Road
02. I've Been Working
03. Domino
04. You Pull No Punches, But You Don't Push The River
05. Astral Weeks
06. Brown Eyed Girl
07. Jackie Wilson Said
08. Moondance

Can you post a list of which non-top 32 artists have been taken? I have no idea so I'm just going to list whoever.

1. Elvis Costello
2. Tim Buckley
3. White Stripes
4. The Clash
5. Nick Cave
6. Flaming Lips

Sorry I'm late here. I was going to listen to more material from my artists of choice but never got around to it.

Public Enemy:
1. Rebel Without a Pause
2. Public Enemy No. 1
3. Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos
4. Welcome to the Terrordome
5. Brother's Gonna Work It Out
6. Fight the Power
7. By the Time I Get to Arizona
8. Bring the Noise

A little heavy on their big two albums, but It Takes a Nation... and Fear of a Black Planet are both so loaded that's it difficult to narrow it down. Though PE is somewhat of an underdog in the T32 bracket, they should be in full effect in this lineup.

Brian Eno:
1. Needles in the Camel's Eye
2. Baby's On Fire
3. Mother Whale Eyeless
4. The Big Ship
5. Spider and I
6. By This River
7. An Ending (Ascent)
8. St. Elmo's Fire

While PE has some obvious standouts, Eno was really hard to choose from. Among the factors making this a difficult undertaking: he never had a big single, none of his songs are particularly acclaimed, there seems to be little consensus among fans regarding his best tracks, and he made great songs in so many different styles.

His enjoy his four vocal albums almost equally, and each of them has at least three tracks that could have ended up on here. "Here Come the Warm Jets," "Back in Judy's Jungle," "King's Lead Hat," and "Golden Hours" all would have made the cut if there was more room. But this being the artist who basically created ambient music, I needed some of his ambient stuff on there, so I figured "An Ending (Ascent)" (his most popular song?) and "The Big Ship" would suffice. I think that overall, this is a varied and top-to-bottom excellent lineup that hopefully will generate more attention on AM for my number 2 artist.

inside:

1) Van Morrison
2) Pink Floyd
3) The Clash
4) Elvis Presley
5) Elvis Costello

outside:

1) Wu-Tang Clan (if i get to include all Wu-family releases)
2) Fleetwood Mac
3) Nick Cave
4) Frank Sinatra

1) Beastie Boys
2) Elliott Smith
3) Queens of the Stone Age
4) Animal Collective
5) DJ Shadow

I feel quite sad to put Elliott second, but making a list of B-Boys songs would be funnier. And they are ranked 35, so close to making the top 32...

Schwah
Employment litigation and counseling, at a law firm.

Patent law I know nothing about. Us lawyers are always about arcane, fine distinctions, but it always struck me that patent law involves that to the Nth degree.

Now I've got to get back to those in limine briefs I've been avoiding.

I agree with your assessment of patent law.

The requirements for drafting a patent claim are not only arduous, but in my view often unhelpful; as they do not allow the claim drafter to use expressive techniques that could readily clarify meaning that instead remains ambiguous even after the court attempts to define the terms during a special procedure referred as a Markman hearing.

Insiders:
1) Elvis Costello
2) Stevie Wonder

Outsider (difficult to choose only one, but I'll go with...):
1) Vampire Weekend

Oasis and The Stone Roses would be other ones I would like to take.

- Hey, Mindrocker, I think you can choose any artist you want from the top 32 and another out of it, since you haven't chosen anyone yet. Then you could also pick some for the 3rd lottery draft. Or is it wrong, Listyguy?

Toni
- Hey, Mindrocker, I think you can choose any artist you want from the top 32 and another out of it, since you haven't chosen anyone yet. Then you could also pick some for the 3rd lottery draft. Or is it wrong, Listyguy?

That is correct.

Listyguy, I thought only one artist outside top 32 was allowed. However, several posters list multiple outsiders. Misunderstanding from my side, or did the others not read properly?

Inside the top 32:
Elvis Presley

Outside the top 32:
Jacques Brel

Andre
Listyguy, I thought only one artist outside top 32 was allowed. However, several posters list multiple outsiders. Misunderstanding from my side, or did the others not read properly?

We started out with only one from inside 32 and one from outside 32. Since all those slots were not filled, now people are listing the artists they'd like for a third choice in order of preference. Who gets which artist will be chosen by random lottery.

I believe people who have not yet taken any artists yet can still freely take anyone they want.

Listyguy
... The list should be ranked and include one artist from outside the top 32 and as many from inside the top 32 as you want. ...

So I misunderstood this ...?

Well, never mind, I'm not going to change my list. random.org is gonna be nice to The Triffids ...

The reason I said only pick one from outside the top 32 is because unless someone else picks the same artists from outside the top 32 as you (which I don't believe anybody did), it is pointless to choose more than one, because you'll either get the first artist from outside the top 32 or one from inside the top 32.
Remember that there are only 8 slots remaining from artists outside the top 32. Once they are taken, only the 9 inside the top 32 will be up for grabs.

I'm new to the game
I hope I have understood it well
Since it's my first post in the game I'd like to pick Stevie Wonder inside the 32
and Johnny Cash from outside.

Songs later (maybe tomorrow)

Now as a 3 rd choice

1. Robert Wyatt
2. The Divine Comedy
3. Creedence Clearwater revival
4. Elvis Presley
5. Marvin Gaye
6. Leadbelly

See you

Listyguy
The reason I said only pick one from outside the top 32 is because unless someone else picks the same artists from outside the top 32 as you (which I don't believe anybody did), it is pointless to choose more than one, because you'll either get the first artist from outside the top 32 or one from inside the top 32.

OK, you almost got me triggered to revote Siouxsie and The Sound (which I would have, like Moonbeam did), but I'll just stick with The Triffids. In the future, I won't read so carefully anymore

Looking forward to the tournament!

Henry
1) Stevie Wonder
2) Todd Rundgren (if allowed with less than 4 albums and 4 singles in AM)
3) Pink Floyd
4) The Band
5) Marvin Gaye
6) Style Council (if allowed with less than 4 albums and 4 singles in AM)
7) The Doors

It appears that different participants are pulling in many different directions and it is now unclear how this next round selection will occur. It would be helpful if Listguy would clarify how this game is expected to move forward, so our responses are aligned with this clarified view.

If someone is allocated Stevie Wonder as his first group, then my list would change as follows:

Outside
1) Todd Rundgren (if allowed with less than 4 albums and 4 singles in AM)
2) Style Council (if allowed with less than 4 albums and 4 singles in AM)
3) The Band

Inside:
1) Pink Floyd
2) Marvin Gaye
3) The Doors

Since there still appears to be confusion, let me try and explain this in a show-you way.
After tomorrow is over, I will take everyone's name who would like a third team and put them into random.org. They will give me a list of your names. Let's say it follows this order:
-Listyguy
-Biladama
-Andre
-Moonbeam
-Henry
-Brad
-Greg
-Dan M

So, I will look at the first name on the list (Listyguy), and I will give him the most prefered artist on his list (Sly and the Family Stone). Then, I move onto Biladama. I give him the most prefered artist on his list (Elvis Costello). And so on.

Listyguy
Since there still appears to be confusion, let me try and explain this in a show-you way.
After tomorrow is over, I will take everyone's name who would like a third team and put them into random.org. They will give me a list of your names. Let's say it follows this order:
-Listyguy
-Biladama
-Andre
-Moonbeam
-Henry
-Brad
-Greg
-Dan M

So, I will look at the first name on the list (Listyguy), and I will give him the most prefered artist on his list (Sly and the Family Stone). Then, I move onto Biladama. I give him the most prefered artist on his list (Elvis Costello). And so on.

That's why I listed several from outside the top 32 as well, in case somebody else chose my top pick(s) and were randomly chosen ahead of me.

Listyguy
-Listyguy
-Biladama
-Andre
-Moonbeam
-Henry
-Brad
-Greg
-Dan M

Dies it mean that the game is closed to newcomers ? What am I supposed to do if I want to join the game ?

nicolas
Dies it mean that the game is closed to newcomers ? What am I supposed to do if I want to join the game ?
I've already added you to the game. You got Johnny Cash and Stevie Wonder, and will be in the third team drw with everyone else.

cool, thanks listyguy !!

Here come my lists

Stevie Wonder

1. Superstition
2. Sir Duke
3. Living For The City
4. Uptight
5. Another Star
6. I Wish
7. I Was Made To Love Her
8. Masterblaster (Jammin')

Johnny Cash

1. Folsom Prison Blues
2. Ring Of Fire
3. Hurt
4. I See A Darkness
5. One
6. A Boy Named Sue
7. San Quentin
8. I Walk The Line

Thank you to all who voluteered to take on a third team. I will announce who will manage the remaining teams, the schedule for the the pool round, and the pools.