The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Popular songs in Sweden

Next up is "Sånt är livet" (Such Is Life) by Anita Lindblom (Spotify sorts the artists by first name) who has a magnificent contralto voice. The song is a cover of Roy Hamilton's "You Can Have Her" with different Swedish lyrics written by Stikkan Andersson who later became ABBA's manager.

This is great classic "schlager". To descibe schlager I have taken some quotes from Wikipedia:
"Loosely translated as a "hit". A style of popular music that is prevalent in Central and Northern Europe. Schlager songs are either sweet, highly sentimental ballads with a simple, catchy melody or light pop tunes. Lyrics typically center on love, relationships and feelings. Musically, the Schlager has some similarities to other styles like Easy Listening music."

At least during the '60s, for many countries schlager used to be the most common style at the Eurovision Song Contest, with 100% focus on the song and the performance of a lone singer. Nowadays schlager is increasingly replaced by other pop music styles and ESC has become more an entertainment show with dancers and special effects.

Anita Lindblom - Sånt är livet 1961

How catchy is that Anita Lindblom song. I'm not normally a fan of schlager (my German partner has subjected me to way too much Katja Ebstein and Jürgen Marcus) but I really like this one. Do you have any other favourite schlager songs, Henrik?

Dan M
How catchy is that Anita Lindblom song. I'm not normally a fan of schlager (my German partner has subjected me to way too much Katja Ebstein and Jürgen Marcus) but I really like this one. Do you have any other favourite schlager songs, Henrik?
I also often get a bad vibe when I hear the word schlager and there's very little that can be called schlager in my future posts. Nevertheless, I think you will enjoy this one too. It's not a cover, but it has certainly borrowed a lot from R&B. Maybe that's why I think these two songs are the cream of the crop.

Claes-Göran Hederström - Det börjar verka kärlek banne mig (could perhaps be translated to "It Begins to Look Like Love, Blimey")

This is a video from the Eurovision Song Contest in 1968, where it came in 5th place. Very different from today's ESC, isn't it?

I really liked that Blinkar Bla song (sorry I don't know how to do the a with a circle on top). I love these threads!

Zorg
I really liked that Blinkar Bla song (sorry I don't know how to do the a with a circle on top). I love these threads!
Great! This thread got me into more listening to Adolphson & Falk and I re-discovered another great song by them, "Stockholmsserenad" (Stockholm Serenade, obviously).

Adolphson & Falk - Stockholmsserenad

PS. A correction, "Mer jul" was actually from 1984.

Henrik, are you going to post any Swedish hip-hop? (t. ex. Looptroop Rockers, Latin Kings, Petter, etc.) I could do a post here and there if anyone is interested.

Alex D
Henrik, are you going to post any Swedish hip-hop? (t. ex. Looptroop Rockers, Latin Kings, Petter, etc.) I could do a post here and there if anyone is interested.
Alex, exactly those three hip hop artists will be included eventually.

To everyone with knowledge about Swedish music:

I'd like to present the artists in alphabetical order, but if you have a look at my Spotify list and don't find your favorite artists there, please make your own post about them in this thread whenever you want (you don't need to wait for the alphabetic order). Also, you might of course also add additional favorite songs to the artists I have already presented.

Today's artist is The Ark, a rock band with glam rock influences that can definitely be filed under popular. It's funny that they come directly after the schlager theme yesterday, because they actually represented Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest 2007, finishing 18th, a big disappointment. Most established rock bands in Sweden won't participate in ESC because they don't like it and/or it would ruin their reputation. The Ark, however, have never cared much about being hip and have tried several commercial tricks through the years. As a result, their biggest fans are not usually found among the Swedish critics.

The Ark - It Takes a Fool to Remain Sane 2000
The Ark - Calleth You, Cometh I 2002
The Ark - The Worrying Kind 2007 (from ESC)

Thank you, for the moment, I love all your proposals.
It's a fresh air ! Not only because it's Swedish music.

Army of Lovers

Army of Lovers was a dance music group that reached their peak in the early '90s. Like many other Swedish artists in the '90s, they were popular in most parts of Europe, but never achieved real success in the UK or the US.

The band had a liberal view of sex and drugs and came to stand as much for scandals and provocations as for pleasure, sexual freedom and glamor. They became famous for their outlandish visual appearance and their music videos (some of which were banned by MTV).

Army of Lovers - Crucified 1991
Army of Lovers - Obsession 1991
Army of Lovers - Ride the Bullet re-recorded version 1991
Army of Lovers - Israelism 1993
Army of Lovers - My Army of Lovers 1990 (La Camilla really looks and sounds like Sade here, albeit a bit dirtier)

Also, I don't remember this song, but apparently it was no. 1 in France!!!
Army of Lovers - La Plage de Saint Tropez 1993

Great thead idea, Henrik! I feel I want to contribute somehow. We probably have a lot of artists in common but fruitfully differ when it comes to other swedish artists.

Right now I have two ideas:

First I selected the 200 or so most important swedish artists and I have divided them into a few groups depending on genre and point in time they were active (plus if they sing in english or not).

Second I have listed the 20 or so most important "active" groups that may come up with good rock music right now.

Any ideas where this might fit in in this thread?

Henrik
Army of Lovers

Army of Lovers was a dance music group that reached their peak in the early '90s. They became famous for their outlandish visual appearance and their music videos (some of which were banned by MTV).

i'm STILL not over the fact that they eventually replaced Camilla with that generic überdull blonde chick. weirdly enough, AOL seemed somewhat like an okay middle ground for homophobe eurojocks not eagerly fabulous with the imminent threat that camp rams like Right Said Fred depicted at that time.

Fred
Great thead idea, Henrik! I feel I want to contribute somehow. We probably have a lot of artists in common but fruitfully differ when it comes to other swedish artists.

First I selected the 200 or so most important swedish artists and I have divided them into a few groups depending on genre and point in time they were active (plus if they sing in english or not).

Second I have listed the 20 or so most important "active" groups that may come up with good rock music right now.

That's great, Fred! Maybe you can have a look at my Spotify list and see where you think I have the biggest holes to fill, and then do some "Fred's specials" whenever it suits you. Perhaps you want your posts to be in chronological order, otherwise you could post immediately after a nearby post from me. For example, if you had recommendations of a Swedish gay music scene it would fit in right now after Army of Lovers.

Atomic Swing

Those who have missed the guitars in the first posts will get their share today.

Atomic Swing is a pop/rock group whose debut album "A Car Crash in the Blue" produced several hits in the Swedish charts, characterized by Niclas Frisk's special vocal style and guitar playing that gave a great retro feel. Atomic Swing also had some success in several other European countries, Japan and Australia.

Atomic Swing - Stone Me Into the Groove 1992 (their biggest hit)
Atomic Swing - Smile 1993
Atomic Swing - In the Dust 1993 (Fred's #2 of 1993!)

Henrik
Fred

That's great, Fred! Maybe you can have a look at my Spotify list and see where you think I have the biggest holes to fill, and then do some "Fred's specials" whenever it suits you. Perhaps you want your posts to be in chronological order, otherwise you could post immediately after a nearby post from me. For example, if you had recommendations of a Swedish gay music scene it would fit in right now after Army of Lovers.

That would be fine. I'm usually better with the big picture but I will do what I can to match your posts. Maybe when the thread is approaching its end we (or I) can post a few individual lists, say "the 20 most important artists (right now etc) who writes in english" or forgotten "one hit wonders" etc. If you post a "big artist" in my book I might add a few tracks to contribute to a song selection that is more mixed?

I may mail you my list and maybe in return you have a calculated list from AM?

Atomic Swing, great choice!

A few artists seem to capture what life in Sweden was for a teenager in the 70's or 80's. Atomic Swing is one of them imo.

Fred
That would be fine. I'm usually better with the big picture but I will do what I can to match your posts. Maybe when the thread is approaching its end we (or I) can post a few individual lists, say "the 20 most important artists (right now etc) who writes in english" or forgotten "one hit wonders" etc. If you post a "big artist" in my book I might add a few tracks to contribute to a song selection that is more mixed?

A few artists seem to capture what life in Sweden was for a teenager in the 70's or 80's. Atomic Swing is one of them imo.
Sounds good! My plan is to have a presentation of bob hund on Monday and I know that you (and I) are a big fan, so you could do that one if you like (as long as you include "Düsseldorf"). Let me know tomorrow if you want to take it.

I did not understand what you meant by "calculated list from AM".

Henrik
Fred

Sounds good! My plan is to have a presentation of bob hund on Monday and I know that you (and I) are a big fan, so you could do that one if you like (as long as you include "Düsseldorf"). Let me know tomorrow if you want to take it.

I did not understand what you meant by "calculated list from AM".

I meant that if there is any way that swedish artists can be separated from others when it comes to album or songs for each year, but it was just a guess if that could be achieved.

About Bob Hund:

Sure! I do it monday. And off course "Düsseldorf" will be included!

They walk the streets as ordinary men, the members of Bob Hund. Once the front man, Tomas Öberg, looked at me from across the street. And last week the cover of "Sonic" caught my attention because one of the members resembled me (or the other way around). I also might point to the similarities with Neil Young.

Great! Neil Young...you make me curious...

Bo Kaspers Orkester

Bo Kaspers Orkester has been one of the best selling bands in Sweden during the '90s and '00s. Their style was mostly jazz-pop in the beginning, but over the years they have varied their sound with for example soul and Latin American styles. Their lyrics usually depict relations and everyday situations.

Bo Kaspers Orkester - Puss 1994 ("Kiss")
Bo Kaspers Orkester - Hon är så söt 1994 ("She Is So Sweet" about the singer's newborn baby. The band performs in his house in this video.)
Bo Kaspers Orkester - Allt ljus på mig 1998 ("All Lights on Me", a song that shares A LOT with Donny Hathaway's "The Ghetto")
Bo Kaspers Orkester - Undantag 1998 ("Exception")
Bo Kaspers Orkester - I samma bil 2006 ("In the Same Car")

Bob Hund

Bob Hund is well known for their live act and stage appearance of Tomas Öberg, vocalist and presumed lyrics mastermind. When the 80's music life in Sweden belonged to "Ebba Grön" sooner to become "Imperiet" the 90's was Bob Hund's.

1996 Bob Hund released a great single Istället För Musik: Förvirring. In the video the band seem influenced by the film "Idioterna" ("The Idiots") by Lars von Trier. See his "Melancholia" btw.

The same year came their arguably best album: "Omslag: Martin Kann" and this was their single from that album: Düsseldorf

Before this they released an ep (Bob Hund) in 1993 and an album in 1994 also named Bob Hund. The album has this epic song: Det Skulle Vara Lätt För Mig Att Säga Att Jag Inte Hittar Hem Men Det Gör Jag, Tror Jag which resembles "Like A Hurricane" or "Down By The River" (I promised you some Neil Young references)

Neil's true, childish, whining voice as expressed in "I Believe In You" or "A Man Needs A Maid" might have their equvalence in Jag Är Inte Arg or Våffeljärnet

Bob Hund's swan song might be Jag Rear Ut Min Själ, Allt Ska Bort (Rust next?) which might be about psychotherapy and the experiences of finding a true self (Neil just rocked his ass off). Maybe if he'd been brought up in cold Sweden and have a background as syntrocker... Bob Hund were a bit of ousiders who wants to share their experiences of that. Nowadays they walk the streets of Stockholm as ordinary men. Viva rock'n roll!

Some links:

Selected Songs (Spotify link)

Bob Hund Film, part 1

Bob Hund Film, part 2

Bob Hund Film, part 3

Bob Hund Film, part 4

Bob Hund Film, part 5

Bob Hund Film, part 6

Bob Hund Film, part 7

Fred, I don't know why but I wasn't able to access the Spotify list.

Very interesting comparison with Neil Young. But, since there are so many Pixies fans in this forum, I think we should mention that the bands that are usually named as Bob Hund's primary influences are Pere Ubu and Pixies.

A couple more favorites:
Bob Hund - Nu är det väl revolution på gång 1998 (their biggest single)
Bob Hund - Ett fall och en lösning 1997 (inspired cover of Pere Ubu's "Final Solution")

Henrik

Very interesting comparison with Neil Young. But, since there are so many Pixies fans in this forum, I think we should mention that the bands that are usually named as Bob Hund's primary influences are Pere Ubu and Pixies.

A couple more favorites:
Bob Hund - Nu är det väl revolution på gång 1998 (their biggest single)
Bob Hund - Ett fall och en lösning 1997 (inspired cover of Pere Ubu's "Final Solution")

Thanks, Henrik!

Yes, Pixies and Bob Hund are VERY close as this might illustrate even further:

Pixies - Crackity Jones or Pixies - Crackity Jones

Bob Hund - Nånting Måste Göras or Bob Hund - Nånting Måste Göras

"Ett Fall & En Lösning" was there in print but lost and amnesificated when everything I had written for a few hours went up in smoke and I had to start all over again... I wonder if Tomas is trying to imitate Jamiroquai here: Bob Hund - Ett Fall & En Lösning

Some 21 (!) years earlier: Pere Ubu - Final Solution

Henrik
At one point this morning the same thing happened to me. Please notify me if it happens again! Works now.

Do you often wonder what happened to one of the best songwriters of our era? - Benny Andersson of Abba?

Actually he never quit writing songs after Abba. In the 80's he took it a bit easier and started doing folk music and wrote musicals, "Chess", "Mamma Mia" and "Kristina From Duvemåla". He might now be regarded as doing "art music" and the songs below, although not art music, are his, sometimes in cooperation with Björn (second male Abba) or someone else, Tim Rice etc . They are easy listening and many of the best performers of our country have worked with him.

Ellen Page - I Know Him So Well
Benny Anderssons Orkester - Our Last Dance
Tommy Körberg - Anthem (from "Chess")
Gemini - T.L.C.
Tommy Körberg - Guldet Blev Till Sand
Benny Andersson Orchestra - You Are My Man
Gemini - Mio Min Mio
Ainbusk Singers - Jag Mötte Lassie

Benny & Björn related

Does Yngwie Malmsteen have a following in Sweden?

Henry
Does Yngwie Malmsteen have a following in Sweden?
Not more than elsewhere, I think. And you won't see him in any of my posts...!

Btw, this feature takes a few days break but will be back.